Moraine Trail is a 2.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Paradise Inn, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 629 feet Route Type: Out & Back

At first, the paved climb (which is a thigh-burner at times) was too populated for our liking. But once we got to the un-maintained section that was muddy and slippery and snowy and rocky, we found our home within this hike. We sat on a flat rock for almost two hours in the sun right under the mountain and only met two other people. It was magic. My kids (ages 3 and 5) were a little tired at the beginning, but were completely running this after the first climb. If it’s recently snowed, remember the yaktrax and poles.

recorded Moraine Trail

Fun trail away from the crowds. Nice place to see wild flowers and marmots! Cool view of the Nisqually glacier and the start of the river. Cool water fall and great view of the mountain.

Had no idea that this trail was even here. We used this trail to get back to Paradise after climbing the Kautz route on Mt. Rainier, so we got on the trail from the lower Nisqually glacier. Stunning ridge walk along the Nisqually, with some of the best views of the mountain in the entire park. Didn't see anyone else on the trail. Really great trail, will use it more now that I know about it. Under-rated big time.

Mon Oct 01 2018

This was an absolutely stunning hike! We happened to go right as the autumn color was peaking. Wow! The added bonus is that you hike to a glacier. It can’t get much better than that. :-)

Fri Oct 27 2017

great views of the former glaciated valley, modern glacial terminus and Tahoma (Rainier) -- go early or late in the day to avoid the sun backlighting the giant pile of rock and ice

Tue Aug 15 2017

Made this hike in late July. A little gem suggested by a ranger. Wild flowers were as beautiful as the view of Rainier. Go as far as you can. It can definitely be tricky. The end of trail you can stand on the edge of a precipice. A great way to get away from all the heavy traffic at Paradise center for awhile.

Thu Aug 13 2015

Ok . .Ok . Ok. . I will do the right thing and review my little diamond . . Moraine Trail. Nobody ever goes here . . This year I saw a mt goat and a deer. . . The unmaintained section goes on for at least a mile . . I would highly recommend going as far as you can . . If you want quiet, animals and great views this is it

Fri Jul 24 2015

This trail was recommended to us by a lady at the information center. She mentioned that it was highly under-rated, and we we did not come across any other hikers on this trail. At first the unsaved section doesn't seem that hard, but then you are trying to find footholds on steep sections that may or may not be stable. I took one spill at a particularly steep section, but otherwise was fine if I was extra mindful of the footing. The view of the Nisqually glacier is incredible, and it was really neat driving over the Nisqually river later and seeing how far up we had been. I do not think that this trail is moderate at all. You do not need any extra equipment and it does not take terribly long, but there were a few points when I considered hanging back and letting my husband get to the end on his own.

Thu May 23 2019