Minotaur Lake Trail

Minotaur Lake Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Leavenworth, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

Directions from Lake Wenatchee: Take National Forest Road 65 west to Forest Service Road 6701. Turn left onto 6701, then left again onto 6700. Continue on this road for approximately five miles to Forest Service Rd 6704. The Minotaur Trailhead lies about a half mile up.

Don't let the mileage fool you, the elevation gain makes up for it! So beautiful at the lakes! The mosquitos and flys are INSANE right now, bug spray did nothing to help. I would give this five stars but the trailhead is just on the road and no bathrooms. There are lots of places to easily access Lake Minotaur and cool views of Theseus. Lots of places to explore and spread out and enjoy, only you can't enjoy because of the bugs.

The road going in is a very bumpy. We managed in my Hyundai Sonata, but it would have been much easier in a high clearance vehicle. There isn’t much parking at the trailhead, but on a Sunday morning, there was only one other car there anyways. The trail up is rough! The trial was recently logged and there are a lot of downed trees, so trail isn’t very clear at first, but it’s doable. You walk along side a raging river with waterfalls almost the entire way. There are very few switchbacks and they are STEEP. But don’t worry, it’s only about 1.8 miles up. There was a snowfield at the top that was rapidly melting. If you look closely, you’ll find watermelon snow as well! The trail is pretty hard to find with the snow, but as long as you keep the river to your right, you’ll find the lake. There is snow everywhere, so I wouldn’t advise camping unless you’re prepared. The walk over to the cliff overlooking Theseus is short, so absolutely make the extra walk. However, we didn’t see a safe way down to the lake with the snow, so we saved that hike for another (much warmer) day. Gorgeous hike and well worth it. I highly recommend.

Overall quite a nice hike. It is a little early still with 1-2 feet of snow on the road. I walked an extra 1.5 miles to get to the TH. There was also 1-2+ feet of packed snow from about 1/3rd of the way up to the top. Views from the top were great and worth it, but likely worth waiting for the snow to melt further.

Most beautiful ending to a hike ever. The way up is pretty hard and (honestly) ugly, but once you break through to the view and the meadows it is amazing. I definitely recommend going across the stream from the lake up over the hill to see the best view. Great hike!

Very hard and grueling hike, but worth every step. Highly recommended that you camp and NOT make this a day trip.

My favorite trail in this area! It is a magical place!

Probably one of my favorites in the area now. We continued down to Theseus (beware, it's a slippery scramble) and enjoyed absolute peace while there were numerous parties picking their ways around Minotaur. Both lakes are stunning.

Hard climb in. Not just a steep hike, but a climb, and totally worth it! Took two hours to get in for three of us in moderate shape. Lots of huckelberries . Beautiful views. Perfect weather. My two daughters hiked down to Thesus and back. Glad I passed. Six hour round trip included hike in, a nice lunch, swim and some exploring, and hike back down. Would like to stay overnight next time.

This was a very hard trail but totally worth it once you get to the top. Very steep but so beautiful everywhere you look.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Beautiful day for a hike! The first mile is a grind, but you are rewarded once you get to the top. The views are stunning and the lake is crystal clear. The trail wasn't bad with only a few muddy spots at the very top that were easily avoidable. I was worried the trail wouldn't be long enough but the incline makes up for the distance.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Super steep first half. poles helped. mud and snow at top, lake still had some ice. the road coming from lake Wenatchee is better but both r fine. great hike except 4 loud lady talkers with a big dog that kept running at us barking, rude people. did it 3 times, she didn't care. buy a leash, we don't all enjoy big dogs running at us, please!
Gorgeous lake however!

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

why is this trail on here twice? this description is more accurate, steep. poles helped. 3 loud lady talkers at Lake wrecked it plus their large white dog keep running at us barking, 3 times, how rude, Get a leash. she didn't even try or apologize. snow and mud at top. Flowers should be great in a few weeks by lake.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Difficult hike with fantastic views! Worth every step!

Monday, July 03, 2017

Amazing hike! Hit snow at 5,100. Tough to keep the trail but followed the tracks from earlier hikers. Made it to the top but the snow made it a challenge. Both lakes are beautiful (Minotaur still mostly frozen). From the summit you can see south to the tip of Ranier, north to Baker and east to Lakes Wenatchee and Fish.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Went this past weekend (6/10/17) and the road was blocked off. we ignored it thinking it was probably placed there a while ago. As we went up to the trail head (dirt road) there were at least 4 spots that had bear feces on the road. Just a precaution. Snow made it impossible to reach the trailhead but was very close. We got 1/3 of the way up the trail and hit snow though. Since the trail was hidden we made a choice to turn back. Heading out again later this summer! Very pretty area near Lake Wenatchee.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Beautiful surroundings. But unfortunately was not able to get up to the trail head due to downed trees and still too much snow. will try again in a few months.

Thursday, May 04, 2017

Great hike one of my favorites, I have completed this 3 times now. Bit steep at the beginning so get your lungs ready but once you get closer to the top it opens up/flattens out and is stunning.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

This is now one of my favorite trails in the pacific north west. Don't be fooled by the distance, the elevation gain is far from easy but once it flattens out at the meadows it is extremely rewarding. It took us a little over an hour to get to the lake and about 45 minutes to get down. Make sure you find the rocks to jump off and refresh. Enjoy!

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Steep!!! Definitely worth it though.

Saturday, October 24, 2015

STEEP!! Beautiful lake. Took us an hour and 10 minutes to get up to the lake. Tough hike, but the lake is awesome. The second lake is just as beautiful. 6 miles on a dirt road in, would of been nice to have a little clearance (we were in a rental car).

Monday, November 03, 2014

I can agree with all of the below comments! Definitely an uphill battle! It's definitely worth it though. I went on November 2nd and there was a good amount of snow once I got close to the lakes. Wish it were clearer to continue up Labyrinth. A little too cloudy and cold for my taste. Be sure to explore around the right side of the lake (cross the little creek). There are some breathtaking views of Thesus. I'll definitely come back here next year to do some camping.

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Very beautiful lake. The rest of the reviews are very accurate on the direction of this trail, IT ONLY GOES UP! Very good work out but I would not suggest attempting this trail without a gun or some sort of protection. As we reached the top, we found a cluster of wolf tracks that were less than half a day old. Scary! We also found a dead deer in the lake, kind of cool! Make sure you make the walk of ~100 yards to the right to look down on Lake Thesus!

Thursday, October 02, 2014

Beautiful lake had lunch on a rock overlooking lake Thesus a few minutes from Minatuar. the hike was steep but not long. Got near the top and all our complaining left when we passed a family with 3 girls under the age of 12 with their own packs. Kind of humbling.
The lake views are spectacular and you can watch the fish swimming.

Sunday, July 06, 2014

The trail is difficult. Very steep, rolling rocks and exposed roots. At 4500' elevation there was still snow cover and we lost the trail. using GPS we were able to navigate to the lake. Be careful since near the lake the outlet is under the melting snow and is exposed in some areas. The lake was covered in snow still but at the ridge top you can see the other lake (name is another Greek name)which is not covered in snow and just as beautiful. Going down the trail my knees and hips were aching from the jarring they took. Not many views going up as I read there would be but what you see at the top us worth it.

Monday, September 02, 2013

Beautiful clear lake and some nice campsites. If time allows I recommend the short scramble up Labyrinth Mtn for nice 360 views of surrounding peaks.

Monday, September 02, 2013

Short but steep trail to some beautiful lakes and great 360° views from the top of Labyrinth. The dirt road to the trail head was in surprisingly good condition although the brown trail signs are completely worn down and unreadable. Expect up to a dozen cars at the trail head where parking is tight. Due to lots of pine needles downed trees etc. I found the trail much easier to follow on the way down than on the way up. So it may require some basic navigational skills. After several switchbacks the trail flattens out just before Minotaur Lake. To get to the top of Labyrinth follow the right side of the lake which offers nice views of Theseus Lake down below. Stay on the ridge that splits the 2 lakes and keep following the boot path up the mountain. Halfway up the slope the trail comes to a Y - take it left and it will switchback straight up the remainder of the way. Once at the top of the ridge the peak to the right (north) is the official summit.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

the view from this lake down on the lower one is just the best thing to make up for the steep trail to get there. Short trip