Mima Falls Trail

Mima Falls Trail is a 6.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Littlerock, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mima Falls is one of the highlights of the many trails that make up the expansive Capitol State Forest. The hike is very easy (despite some massive muddy sections) and takes you through both old and new as well as cleared forests. Mima Falls is a nice little 25 foot falls worth checking out. Mima Falls takes its name from the nearby Mima Mounds. Mima is a Native term meaning a little further along. Over the years, the Washington Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has worked with volunteers to build up the trail system in Capitol State Forest, expanding on the network of logging roads. It is likely that at least some portions of this trail are built on sections of former logging roads that once led to logging camps that supplied the sawmills in the lumber boom town of nearby Bordeaux. Established by the Bordeaux Brothers back in 1896, this area of the Black Hills were logged for over 40 years until the old growth timber ran out and Bordeaux became a ghost town in 1941. While Capitol State Forest has been a recreation destination for decades, the Mima Falls Trailhead and Campground was not built until 1973. In 2013 the DNR completed an overhaul of the Capitol State Forest Trail system that renamed most of the trails. Older guides will reference these outdated trail names.

Well cared for multi-use trails. Expect to see runners, hikers, bikers, dogs, and horse-back riders. This is a really good 3-hour hike, and could be longer if you decide to stay the the falls area a bit. I had no problem staying on the loop path, but one does need to pay attention to the signage.

Too much poop. Poop everywhere

Good hike, beautiful February day. trail in fairly good shape. Muddy sections were small enough to skirt.

Beautiful trail!
PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE MAP. It’s so easy to get lost out on this trail even with a sense of direction. Try to keep track of which way you go and what signs you see lol. Besides that, definitely a must see.

I second Landon Macy. my friends and I we're lost on our first day and almost spent the night at the trail. bad reception and our maps kept taking us to a different direction. good thing there was a couple there who knows the trail well that came back to search for us cause we we're the only ones that parked there. I recommend paper maps, flash lights, food and portable charger in case you might get lost on your first hike. btw a lot of horse dung too so watch your steps.

Great trail to run! I went up sunrise and I didn’t see a single other person. Looks like a great trail to mountain bike as well

Trail itself was nice, but terribly marked. My wife and I took a wrong turn (poorly marked directions) and 17 miles later we were able to get back to the car before dark. Trail is worth doing, but make sure to bring a map!!!

This is a great trail for trail running. As a hike, I find it somewhat boring but you can access other trails very easily. I suggest being familiar with the area or having a map.

Ran this yesterday and had a great time! Beautiful views and the waterfall was in full force. Loved this Loop!

Make sure u down load the trail to know exactly where u are. We got lost and didn’t realize until we were over 6 miles in. Long story short yes I would do it again with the trail guide downloaded. The markers are not clear as to where u are as some mile markers hike wise. The water fall was beautiful.

Really easy trail. When we went, there was snow on the ground & we couldn't get down to the falls. It's okay, it means we have to go back.

It is a nice family trail...my kiddo is 8 and he made the walk fairly well. Got a tad bit grumpy on the way back. I enjoyed it.

Nice easy trail for beginners. The trail can get narrow in spots which make it frustrating when multiple people try to pass. The trail is open to horses so you may need to step off the trail for the horses to pass.

Great trail. It was a little muddy but not bad. Good trail for dogs. Some up and downs, but over all not too difficult

Great hike. Went 38 weeks pregnant and with a toddler in a carrier. Very doable. Pretty waterfall at the end!
Doesn’t take too long at all.

Beautiful day for a hike! The trails were in pretty good condition considering the time of year. Nice easy 6 mile loop.

Nice easy hike. Lots of kids and dogs :). The shooting range nearby is unnerving. Don’t let it affect you. This is a safe area even for women. It’s just not too scenic but it’s a great workout if you have a few hours.

Was a beautiful hike we will be going again

Great trail for kids! We enjoyed it.

A nice and quiet trail with decent views. Came across 2 groups of hikers while I was there.

Love this hike! We hiked with two toddlers on our backs and it was the perfect distance. Nice and easy!

At this time of the year the trails are getting a bit mucky but still very doable. Still a nice little hike.

I was freaked out from the gun shoots at first, but once you hike in a bit you can't hear them as much.

Loved this trail

I am surprised nobody mentioned the firing range very nearby this trail. I, for one, do not enjoy hiking along to the sounds of sporadic gunfire!

Easy hike, the trees were beautiful!

Like everyone has said. The falls are underwhelming at best, but it is an easy hike to use as a warm up for the summer hiking season or as a family outing. One caveat is the amount of horse poop along the trail...if you don't like that kind of thing, than don't go there.

Nice walk, friendly people, horse poo easily avoided.

Nice easy trail. Expected the falls to be bigger but definitely not disappointed in the journey. Blackberries are in season!

Nice easy trail. Nothing hard about this hike but beautiful waterfall.