Mima Falls Trail

Mima Falls Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Littlerock, Washington that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A Discovery Pass is required to enter Capitol State Forest. Off-road vehicle users and horse-back riders can use Capitol State Forest Trails from May 1 - November 30 only. This Mima Falls Trail connects to other trails in the area which may not be well marked. Be sure to stay on the route in the map or have a map handy along the way. Mima Falls is one of the highlights of the many trails that make up the expansive Capitol State Forest. The hike is mostly easy, though you will pass through many muddy sections. It takes you through both old and new as well as cleared forests. Mima Falls is a nice little 25 foot falls worth checking out. Mima Falls takes its name from the nearby Mima Mounds. Mima is a Native term meaning a little further along. Over the years, the Washington Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has worked with volunteers to build up the trail system in Capitol State Forest, expanding on the network of logging roads. It is likely that at least some portions of this trail are built on sections of former logging roads that once led to logging camps that supplied the sawmills in the lumber boom town of nearby Bordeaux. Established by the Bordeaux Brothers back in 1896, this area of the Black Hills were logged for over 40 years until the old growth timber ran out and Bordeaux became a ghost town in 1941. While Capitol State Forest has been a recreation destination for decades, the Mima Falls Trailhead and Campground was not built until 1973. In 2013 the DNR completed an overhaul of the Capitol State Forest Trail system that renamed most of the trails. Older guides will reference these outdated trail names.

A pretty trail, but longer than expected. Maps at the park are not marked well, but the AllTrails app really saved me! There is horse poop on the trail. Pretty shady with some patches of sunshine. Saw a couple little snakes. The falls are pretty too! You can get pretty close to them.

great hike. Took my 7 year old and 10 year old on their second hike ever. took us about 4 hours.

Nice walk through though the woods. The falls were a bit lack luster but still a better way to spend the day than at work or the city.

Overall a really good trail. Thirty minutes from our house and got some exercise. The trail is easy for all skill levels and a decent length. Well marked. For those negative remarks about the “gunshots and horse poop” hey should have read the sign at the trailhead. Near gun range and it is a shared trail - with horses and bikes. Nice walk in the woods on a comfortable day weather wise. Take snacks and some water. Would recommend to anyone wanting to “get away” from the city.

Good hike for beginners! Took my kids and it was super easy. Not much of a falls and there was poop everywhere but overall not bad. We stopped at farm boys restaurant on the way back and it was good. We did 6.5 all together

Nice leg stretcher to a charming waterfall. More than half the hike is shaded so it would be good on a hot day. Definitely heavily used by horses, but I only saw two on a Monday, along with a couple of runners and cyclists. Trail is extremely well marked, and trailhead was easy to find.

Pleasant hike to a nice falls. Trail was in good shape and an equestrian club was brushing out the trail. About a quarter of the trail is through an older clear cut. Foxglove and daisies are in bloom. The rest of the trail is through a typical northwest forest with a few old growth trees.

Was a hike easy and I am 60 years old did not like all horse pop on trails

This is a good hike or run before work, mountain biking if you really need to get out, know your way around the forest and have a map.

The people complaining about gunshots, horses and getting lost should never go out into the woods. Go "hike" downtown or something.

We hiked, climbed the falls, ran a bit and got to use a new running ap called Zombies! Run! it was fun. downside there is a lot of horse pies and in some places the trail is small and completely covered.

We had the same experience many others have shared. We went to the waterfall, which is small but lovely, and we kept going planning on taking the 6 mile hike. It is not clearly marked and our 6 mile hike turned into 16! Truly beautiful but not what we had in mind. Take a map! If it weren’t for the very kind horseback riders and bikers, we might still be there!

Nice hike, pretty level most of the way. The falls are pretty but on the smaller side. Also things to note, it's right next to a gun range and it's a multi-use trail. Lots of horses on the trails so watch your step.

Went up today (5/26/18) around 11:00 am and there were only a few cars in the parking lot. Beautiful hike, with mostly well marked trails. Take your own map because after the falls we decided to go up the trail instead of turning back. That trail just goes on forever so we had to turn back and head back to the falls. To do a loop go back to the split in the trail before the falls and take the tie loop portion. It’s amazing with ferns for days. We met almost no people and the hike ended up being over ten miles for us by the time we got to the car. Worth every step! Will be back to do some of the other trails.

Arrived on a Friday morning and found only one car in the parking lot, I knew then that the trail was not going to be crowded! This was my first time to do this loop and I was very pleased. The trail was in really good shape with a couple of minor muddy spots, these were all located at low points and in areas that don’t see the sun. At the first junction I stayed to the left and eventually ended up on the Western Mima Falls trail, this took me in a clockwise direction for the ride. The climb wasn’t overly steep but it was constant and my legs are reminding me of that now. The decent was a great reward and very enjoyable. As I learn the trail I’ll know where I need to brake and where I can keep off them. My one dislike of this trail is there are a few sections of loose gravel one particular area was deep loose gravel and the bike wanted to do its own thing. Despite this I’ll be back.

Well cared for multi-use trails. Expect to see runners, hikers, bikers, dogs, and horse-back riders. This is a really good 3-hour hike, and could be longer if you decide to stay the the falls area a bit. I had no problem staying on the loop path, but one does need to pay attention to the signage.

Too much poop. Poop everywhere

Good hike, beautiful February day. trail in fairly good shape. Muddy sections were small enough to skirt.

Beautiful trail!
PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE MAP. It’s so easy to get lost out on this trail even with a sense of direction. Try to keep track of which way you go and what signs you see lol. Besides that, definitely a must see.

I second Landon Macy. my friends and I we're lost on our first day and almost spent the night at the trail. bad reception and our maps kept taking us to a different direction. good thing there was a couple there who knows the trail well that came back to search for us cause we we're the only ones that parked there. I recommend paper maps, flash lights, food and portable charger in case you might get lost on your first hike. btw a lot of horse dung too so watch your steps.

Great trail to run! I went up sunrise and I didn’t see a single other person. Looks like a great trail to mountain bike as well

Trail itself was nice, but terribly marked. My wife and I took a wrong turn (poorly marked directions) and 17 miles later we were able to get back to the car before dark. Trail is worth doing, but make sure to bring a map!!!

This is a great trail for trail running. As a hike, I find it somewhat boring but you can access other trails very easily. I suggest being familiar with the area or having a map.

Ran this yesterday and had a great time! Beautiful views and the waterfall was in full force. Loved this Loop!

Make sure u down load the trail to know exactly where u are. We got lost and didn’t realize until we were over 6 miles in. Long story short yes I would do it again with the trail guide downloaded. The markers are not clear as to where u are as some mile markers hike wise. The water fall was beautiful.

Really easy trail. When we went, there was snow on the ground & we couldn't get down to the falls. It's okay, it means we have to go back.

It is a nice family trail...my kiddo is 8 and he made the walk fairly well. Got a tad bit grumpy on the way back. I enjoyed it.

Nice easy trail for beginners. The trail can get narrow in spots which make it frustrating when multiple people try to pass. The trail is open to horses so you may need to step off the trail for the horses to pass.

Great trail. It was a little muddy but not bad. Good trail for dogs. Some up and downs, but over all not too difficult

Great hike. Went 38 weeks pregnant and with a toddler in a carrier. Very doable. Pretty waterfall at the end!
Doesn’t take too long at all.

Beautiful day for a hike! The trails were in pretty good condition considering the time of year. Nice easy 6 mile loop.