Mica Peak is a 15.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Liberty Lake, Washington that features a great forest setting. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers and is primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 15.8 miles Elevation Gain: 3,385 feet Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

recorded Recording - Oct 14, 04:20 PM

I would definitely recommend this trail! Its a real slow and steady climb to the top, sure to get the heart pumping, but it's totally worth it. There was no snow when I went up.

private property

Watch for a red arrow )spray painted on a tree) near the top third of the trail, as well as ribbons tied to trees to guide you to the top. There is a false summit, so make certain to continue to follow the trail to the west, which will take you on a saddle trail to the top of the peak. Great views on 8/19, including one of a small fire burning to the south.

It’s steep during a big chunk of the hike. Take it slow, you’ll make it!

Great trail. View at the very top a little disappointing... excellent workout

Leg workout galore with steady uphill once you reach the Edith Hansen trail. My gps said 13.8 with approximately 3400 elevation gain. Nothing spectacular about the views, but the payoff is reaching the dome so that you can later point there from I-90 and smugly say “I hiked way up there with my own two feet.” The mosquitoes we’re out and I deeply regretted my lack of preparation for that. The trail is not marked well at all—shout out to Nick Swan’s trail report for all of the super helpful photos of where to turn at each intersection if in doubt!

private property

I would recommend this for a vigorous hike with good climbing. I tracked 14.4 miles from the parking lot at the trailhead and got 3462 feet elevation. It was cloudy so we didn’t see much but what was in front of our faces! Pretty wildflowers toward the top that you can’t see at lower elevations. My fave is the Indian paintbrush.

The route I did was definitely not 15 miles as the description notes. The out and back route I did was only 5.8 miles from the main liberty lake park parking lot to Mica Peak. 2.25 hours up and 1.75 hours down. 11.6 miles roundtrip. The initial part of this trail which is part of the standard Liberty Lake Trail Loop is absolutely great. However, once it breaks off to just the Mica Peak route there really isn't much else to offer, other than some very nice wildflowers. For the uphill effort to reach the peak, the ending view is anticlimactic. Does give a perspective of Liberty Lake, Spokane and can even see as far as Newman Lake, but ultimately just a view of sprawl. Good exercise and a less populated trail, but I suggest sticking to the liberty lake trail loop for a MUCH better variety of scenery.

This trail provided me a solid workout yesterday. I hiked/trail ran with my dog to the top. From liberty lake regional park, it is exactly 7 miles to the top when taking Edith Hansen trail. Very hilly with a lot of rocks but lots of shade. Took me 2 hours and 10 mins to get to the top and 1 hour and 20 mins back down. I did not see one other person up Mica. Loved the solitude Monday Provided. Enjoy!

Got a little lost after reaching the Boy Scout cabin and had to bush whack then backtrack to get to the correct trail but it was worth it! I’d heard that Mica Peak was a dusty, dull hike but tackling it in June proved to be different! It was green and the views were abundant the whole way. I even found multiple Smokey Quartz crystals on the trail! Took us 10 miles to find the geological survey marker and another 7.5 to find the car. It ended up being a seven hour adventure worth every step. Do it before it gets hot!

Warm, muggy day, only one other hiker and 3 bikers all day. Took photos of all junctions and will post. Great view on top of Spokane Valley. Four hours and fifteen min to top and an hour at summit.

Sunday, July 01, 2018

14.3 miles parking lot to parking lot. views at the top are obstructed, but still pretty good. once you get on the edith Hansen trail it goes up pretty consistently. took 5 hours and spent another 20 at the top. nice day.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Really enjoyed this hike. Started our mileage tracking in the parking lot and logged 14.7-miles. Trail is reasonably well maintained to the top with a variety of surface conditions —- ranging from packed dirt to loose rock (closer to the peak). First 2 miles is basically level but expect steady uphill grade with some steep areas thereafter. Great views closer to the top and saw a moose cow on way back down. Leave early (7-ish) and you’ll enjoy shade most of the way to the top.

Sunday, May 27, 2018

Really nice hike! It was quiet - we didn't run into a single person until we came back down from the summit. It wasn't quite 15.8 miles - we logged 13.4 from the trailhead but we probably walked almost a mile from the car to the trailhead. Still lots of wildflowers, nice and green, and beautiful views at the top overlooking Spokane, Liberty Lake, and I think Coeur d'Alene lake. The trail is not well marked. We went with a couple of friends who have done this hike before and so we followed their lead. There were a few times where you had to make a choice between three different paths. I just learned last week that starting June 2018 a two year renovation project is starting. They'll be adding signs, renovating the existing trail, and adding new trails. Right now it isn't a formal system. The trail itself is wide, clear, and easy to follow - it's just hard to know which trail to stay on as there are a few "intersections." Really nice hike overall though!

Friday, February 02, 2018

JoRayne and I headed out at 9 a.m. encountered snow around 3k ft. Strapped the S-hoes on slogged away for the remainder of the trip which was approximately 3-4 miles. The snow pack was crusted over and would give way frequently so that factor really contributed to labor required to reach the top. We were the only ones to do so on shoes but a CC skier had made the journey sometime previously. Of course the wind was whippin' on top but it was a clear day to enjoy the views. My GPS confirmed the 15.8 miles and the elevation gain stated above. We returned to the truck around 5 p.m.; tired and jonezin for a food reward.

Thursday, November 30, 2017

it was quite and peaceful. injoyed most of the hike. on the way down i cut over and finished liberty lake loop.