Merritt Lake Trail

Merritt Lake Trail is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Leavenworth, Washington that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, mountain biking, and snowshoeing.

2024 feet

Directions from Lake Wenatchee: Take State Route 207 south, then U.S. Highway 2 west to Forest Service Rd #657. Follow 657 north for approximately 1.5 miles to the trailhead.

5.5 out and back. It’s certainly a beautiful hike and with a moderate elevation gain of about 2200ft. We hit snow at about 2.5 miles up. The lake is amazing and worth the climb. Some downed trees on the trail, but nothing impassable. Great overall hike!

Was able to make it to Trailhead with a Mazda 3 but definitely had some iffy spots. My dog and I made it to Merritt and were a bit disappointed so we continued on to Lost lake which is an extra mile. The descent down to Lost Lake is EXTREMELY steep with multiple downed trees. I had to even lift my golden retriever up and over the trees the following day on our ascent up. I would suggest only steady foot hikers to continue to Lost Lake, but worth it!! The lake itself is more beautiful than Merritt with great rocks to jump from or lounge on.

I agree with other reviewers that the lake is worth the work... however, this hike is closer to 6 miles in total and the first 3 are an unending climb up to the lake. Very little respite. Only kid-friendly if your kids are avid hikers. We happened to hit it on a perfect day--80 degrees and sunny. We did it in about 3.5 hours, not including enjoying the amazing views at the top.

This is NOT a moderate hike. It was definitely difficult! However, it was a great workout and a beautiful lake. We picked some huckleberries up there too!

Beautiful, well maintained forest trail. The lake was worth the hike! You get your climbing out of the way first then it's an easy rest of the way to the lake. This lake has really good access and the kids swam. Bugs were not bad and it was nice and cool at the lake. Ran into very few people. Definitely want to do this again in the fall when colors change. Beautiful views and lots of places to rest.

awsome

Classic urban hike around interesting inlet. Absolutely wonderful and some of the best people watching in America. Grab a bite at nearby Whole Foods and take advantage of their two hour parking. Should take about an hour to walk around.

lost trail at the 1.3 mile mark because of snow....shade areas had as much as 3 feet....heading back in couple weeks.

Anyone know if you can bring dogs here? Also is it accessible now or is their top much snow?

Hard to rate it because I didn't finish. Had to park a mile down the Forest Road from the trailhead because of trees over the trail. From the trailhead really enjoyed the trail for about another 1.5 miles. Trail gets a little sketchy where there's some very significant trees down. I lost the trail climbing over and around it all. After the fact, I realized that hanging a left uphill just before the downed trees would reconnect with the actual trail which seemed to make a switchback underneath those trees, which was even harder to figure out because of the sizable snow fields above that point. Snowshoes not required, May 6th, but made the trail really hard for me to follow and I decided to turn back at this point. I did at that time encounter another person hiking who said he'd started at the same trailhead, but seemed to be coming from a different direction which was a head scratcher for me. Hope to return to this trail with less snow.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

The lake is definitely worth the hike. It's absolutely beautiful. We started early with no bugs or other impediments. I would change the trail category from moderate to difficult: maybe because I am 75. It definitely is worth the effort, but keep in mind, it's straight up most of the way.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Good directions to the access point off leading the highway. Almost exactly 9.9miles from Stevens Pass (Heading East). The road into the parking lot is a bit rough and low clearance vehicles need to be careful. The hike is a good work out for the legs. Best to arrive early in the day as there were quite a few people heading up the hill when we were walking out, a total of 34 people headed up and most were spending the night, so I presume a less than peaceful evening was spent by all. The mosquitoes by the lake were fierce and bug spray is a must alternatively just keep walking and head up to Lost Lake. Overall a fun outing and a nice way to escape the city. Using poles makes it much easier on the knees on the way down.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Wednesday, November 04, 2015

(Nov. 3rd, 2015)
Merritt Lake trail isn't lengthy, but there is a deceptive front-loaded steepness that will leave lesser hikers gasping for breath. The lake itself was lovely, as was the trail that became covered in the season's first snow midway up. Guess who forgot their snowshoes after a winter storm!

We suffered damp toes because the day was so lovely. Not a soul to break the forest's rejuvenating silence either. In fact, the quietude allowed us to stumble upon a mamma doe and her yearling fawn--a rare event in our experience on Washingtonian hikes.