Melmont Ghost Town

Melmont Ghost Town is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Carbonado, Washington that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

historic site

This trail leads to the old town of Melmont. Best way to the trail is to climb down the Carbonado side of the Fairfax Bridge. Some foundations and an old dynamite shack can still be seen. Dogs are also allowed on this trail.

Did this for the first time today. Park across the bridge (spot for 3-4 cars) then walk back across where the bridge starts and find trail head on opposite side of river from where you parked. There is a cable that helps you get down. Once down head left (currently a neon orange arrow points the opposite way). A great flat hike suitable for all ages. The mud is not very much and the trail is nice and wide. Opportunity at 3.9 miles in for a nice picnic on the edge of Carbonado River. Enjoy! I did! 8 miles out and back -you can do more or less

This was my first trail in a very long time and I tried it with my mountain bike. Terrible mistake. It is great for hiking and jogging but not biking. Even when it is sunny outside and pretty hot it was very muddy. According to this app the trail starts right at the parking lot which is more of a parking off the side of the road. Three cars maximum can park there at a time. Want to start going down this area where the map says to go and it is insanely steep. I think myself screw this it’s going to be more difficult to come back up so I might as will turn around now. And then I go to the other side and it is much better. Note: read reviews before going down trails there are some that say don’t start on the parking lot side go across the bridge and start on that side. I did this and it was much easier but it was still pretty steep. Trail itself starts out pretty easy and then comes the mud. It’s not super bad at first but then it gets really really bad. So much so that I ended up not really enjoying the bike ride because many times I had to get off and walk my bike because the mud was so thick. I ended up turning around third of the way because it was so much mud. I said great trail great views if you’re walking or hiking just don’t take your bike

Hello, I just lost my dog on this trail today. She is a brindle pitbull mix and she has a chain collar and a green and black harness on. If anyone sees her could you grab her she's friendly and has never bitten anyone or any other dog. I will give you a $100 reward for your efforts. My name is Bryan and my cell is 425-299-0834. Thank you!!

This is a stretch of the foothills trail! It can be accessed by parking anywhere along the trail. If you choose to start at the bridge where the gps takes you, you need to be on the foothills trail side of the river. If there's no cable "railing" to get down by the bridge, you're in the wrong place. Was a challenge to get down with two small kids and a dog but very easy, albeit muddy, once on the actual trail.

Amazing location

Took my 9yr old and 2yr old on this, so we didn’t make it the whole way out. We managed down the first side track down to the river. Steep, so having a living 20lb weight on my back was a touch rough, but it was worth it. The boys loved the ruins. Muddy, but thanks to other reviewers I expected this!

Braved the rain & hiked this for the first time. Gorgeous scenery along this super easy, flat trail. Had a wonderful day with my kids ❤️❤️

We accidentally took the wrong route, went right instead of left at the bottom of the bridge. Still the hike was quite pleasurable! We did run into a black bear cub, but got out of the area before momma showed up. We will try again and go the right way next time! lol

apart from some mud, it was a very pleasurable hike. the true enterance is not at the bridge but further down the road o. the left.

There’s an easy access point to this trail most of a mile before the bridge. This path is indicated by a large sign.

Biking the path is very smooth for the initial stretch. After you pass the bridge and a couple old structures it begins to chop up into undulating terrain of roots, mud trenches, and dips. Very nice ride for a beginner like me looking to tackle something more than Supermarket flowerbeds.

I pushed all the way through to some back woods where I thought a town couldn’t possibly lie beyond, decided I’d had a good ride and headed back.
There seems to be 4 or 5 alternate routes near the end points of the trail. Would explore those some time!

Gorgious backdrop of the raging monster of a river!

Beautiful hike on a beautiful day. As other reviews have said park on the western side of the bridge and then walk back across it. If you are standing on the eastern side of the bridge facing the east you can get down to the trail from either side of the bridge, but the cable with hand grips will be on the right side (southern side). On the left side (northern side) you will also be able to get to the trail, a bit steeper with a guide rope of sorts, not child or pet friendly though in my opinion.

Saw plenty of other hikers in the beginning parts of the trail, one group had three generations hiking along easily. Personally came across 4-5 people walking comfortably with their dogs, and there is a nice spot about halfway through the trail where they can zoom around on a nice flat area.

Wasn’t much for a “ghost town” there are signs of historical human habitation/occupation, but not many and you can find them from the photos others have posted. There is the chance that I may have missed them though as there are other off shoots from the main trail that I left unexplored.

Beautiful hike though, most of the time you can comfortably walk next to someone and carry on an easy conversation. The trail extends miles beyond what is listed, so if you wanted to explore further that Is always an option too.

A bit confused at the rating of this one, perhaps we just tried to enter at the wrong spot,..The path down from the GPS marking, just past the single lane bridge, is incredibly steep and was not puppy friendly. Even on a dry day, people were having to scoot down the decline on their rear ends.

Perhaps we will revisit and try to decent on the other side of the bridge, though there are lots of other options in the area to visit first.

3/24. Snow on the ground. Make sure you have gloves to get down under the bridge, your hands will be very cold from the cable. Lots of people on bridge taking pictures, beautiful views looking down. Very muddy on the trails.

Really beautiful! The bridge is amazing in itself! Gorgeous out there today.

Went here on 2/24/18 it was a chilly day with on and off snow. Firstly park close to the bridge, which is a one lane, secondly walk to the start of the bridge go over the side by guard rails. there is a little path down to the trail, it's a cable and can be slippery in snow if you're now wearing correct shoes. We went left and saw the car and some building structure, but it's a beautiful view of the river! Loved it!

Muddy. Once you get down the side of the bridge with the cable it’s an easy walk. We went east and took the hill up the old grassy area and remnants of a building. There are lots of muddy trails to check out but nothing special. We followed the river up a ways, looks like a great place to ride a dirt bike.

"Ghost town" would be an overstatement, as from what I saw, it's merely an old car, and the remnants of one, maybe two small old buildings. If you're looking for a straight flat hike through the woods, this one is for you. If you're looking for a challenge (or even a cool old ghost town), I wouldn't recommend it.

Of course, any day in nature is a good day, right?

Also, this trail extends pretty far beyond the ghost town, so if you're looking for a longer trail you can just keep going. In fact, we went for much longer than 2 miles, thinking there was more to the ghost town.

Loved this trail. A little hard to find but had a blast. Trail is a little muddy but wear water proof shoes and you’ll be just fine

This was really a cool trail! Our 8 & 6 yr old (we hike a lot) could make it down the cable next to the bridge. Thanks to the reviewer (Jordan!) who said to park across the bridge and walk back over and it’s on the right side!

Muddy!!!!!

Must have been blind or too lost in conversation.... our entire group missed seeing much of any of the “ghost” buildings. Enjoyable grade through the woods with the Carbon River nearby did make for a good afternoon adventure. Trail needs attention though, as it was sloppy!

We started at the Trailhead sign per the suggestion of another review. Coming from Puyallup and it was a mile or two BEFORE the bridge, on the right side, big white sign with area beside the road to park. It added an extra half hour of flat gravelly walking, very well maintained. Much easier than the "goat path" by the bridge!! Our dog loved this trail.

Overall fun trail. You have to go off the main track to find all the fun extras, but worth it. We did what probably everyone else does and crossed the bridge expecting the entrance to be on that side. I read another review (I think by Eric?) that said to walk back over the bridge. Sure enough we found the rope leading down! Found the cars, the river, the wall, and the Old structure. Lots of photo opportunities!!!

This trail is beautiful and good for all ages. From Carbonado cross the bridge and park on the dirt. Walk back across the bridge and the trailhead is right over the guardrail on the right. First couple hundred feet from the bridge to the trail is steep but a cable eases access. Trail is flat and there is a lot to see. Not much is left of the old town except for some retaining walls and a dynamite storage building. Access down to the river is tough however if you take the trail through the meadow you'll be able to get down. A couple of rails from the track and other metal is down there. The river is a whitish blue color from it being glacial melt from Rainier, and swift moving in places so be careful of pets that are off leash.

Pretty good hike. You have to take a rope chain from the one lane bridge down to the actual trail. That was a rough way down. The trail itself was flat & easy. Lots of bullet shells, so it looks like people go down there shooting. The best parts were the ones when we took side trails down the cliff to the river. It was virtually straight down, so coming back up was tough. Lastly, we couldn't figure out why the water was milky colored. But the imagery was beautiful.

Not a bad hike. Our kids are 5 and 3 and were able to do it no problem-- a little tired towards the end. The hardest part of the trail is the entrance/exit. We appreciated the review that said you have to park on the far side of the bridge, walk back and follow the cable line down -- it doesnt look like anything at all but is in fact the trail head. Took a bit of maneuvering to get the kids down but nothing we couldn't handle. Mostly shaded too, perfect for a hot day. We will definitely be going again!

Lovely hike! Buildings are very cool. Good river access if you look for the spur trails.

Lovely trail, hiked in mid-August with two dogs. Not a lot of people, especially on the other side of the bridge.

Possible edit: start the trail at the Foothills Trail sign, not at the bridge. It's a longer, more enjoyable hike from there, and a much easier access point than the bridge.

Pretty Awesome! The kids really enjoyed using the cable to climb up and down the trailhead! Other than that pretty basic logging road - felt nice to see that It is maintained and taken care of! Fun Sunday