Melakwa Lake via Denny Creek Trail

Melakwa Lake via Denny Creek Trail is a 9.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Snoqualmie Pass, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,680 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

Note: As of July 2019, the Denny Creek trailhead is closed. You must begin your hike at Franklin Falls. Hike along Denny creek, underneath I-90 past a couple of waterfalls, ending at a high alpine lake. Please note that snow has still been reported in June further down the trail. If you are planing to do the full length of the trail, please bring appropriate gear and pay attention to any blazes/markings on trees, as the trail may be covered by snow. Road will be closed due to snow during parts of the winter.

Did this hike on 11/8/2019. Lot had about 6 cars at 830am and when I returned back to the lot at 1:30pm there was still a ton of parking. Drive was fine. There was a quarter mile stretch with snow on the road but everything else was dry. This is coming from exit 52 No spikes needed until about a half a mile pass Keekwulee Falls. From there the snow is nicely padded but can get a bit slippery. The lake is frozen and if you want to see Upper Melakwa you would have to post hole about 2 feet of snow towards there. I made the trek and think it’s pretty worth it since that lake is frozen as well!

Hiked this on Oct 30th. No snow. A bit icy after you get past the pass. I had yaktrax on and my friend didn’t use his. Temps were pretty cold. Logged about 12.5 miles.

Fantastic trail, highly recommended. You begin in the woods in the middle of I-90 and hike up under the westbound lanes and head up the slopes of the pass from there. The hike features two beautiful waterfalls and two gorgeous lakes at the end. It’s a nice level of difficulty perfect for a slightly more challenging day hike. I’ll definitely be back.

icy

Hit this trail on the most perfect day. Snow must have melted because there was no snow on the trail whatsoever... well until it started snowing. Still snow didn’t stick so not really a problem. The lake? Couldn’t have asked for a better view. Just a great Snoqualmie hike I wasn’t really expecting.

icy

Light snow until you start to go up from the lake and head to the peaks. Ground is getting hard and a bit icy in spots. Polls definitely helped. I did the peak the day before and micro spikes are a must. Beautiful though.

Super muddy/slushy first part of the hike. Deep snow afterwards. We were the first ones getting to the lake so had to carve out the trail again, which took us a while with the snow being so deep. I found some of the water crossing to be challenging, most of the rocks were completely submerged so it was hard keeping our feet dry. We logged 13.4mi leaving from the street down the franklin falls parking lot. Definitely not close to 8.5mi

Really beautiful first couple miles. When I get to the creek, the water was running pretty high and there’s no bridge (I assume people just hop from rock to rock normally) and my dog wasn’t feeling it. Decided to call it an early day. Look forward to coming back.

Beautiful hike! Patches of snow in last mile but I was fine in my hiking boots:)

Trails a bit muddy and there is a bit of snow about 3 miles in. It’s nicely padded and I didn’t have to take out my spikes. You pass along a few waterfalls on the way to Melakwa. Check out upper melakwa as well, it’s only about 30 yards past the northern tip of Melakwa. Upper melakwa is partially frozen!

Definitely a butt kicker getting to the lake but worth it with the gorgeous views and crystal clear water. Very rocky trail at some points, you’ll notice you’re just staring at the ground for awhile to make sure you have proper foot placement, that’s my only complaint about this trail though. Even though it says 8.5 miles, we ended up doing 11 today. Will definitely be back to stay overnight!

lake is amazing

This is the last leg of our 4 day hike coming up mid September, so we thought we should do it as day hike for familiarizing ourselves. There are some narrow spots and lots of rocks. Great reward once getting to the lake. We staked our where we are going to set up camp. Trout jumping all over the place. I definitely recommend this as a great day hike. The guide says 8.7 miles but by my GPS it is 10 trailhead out and back then more because of the parking lot being closed.

QUESTION: I'm thinking of doing this hike on Saturday. Looking for a hike that can be done without special gear (besides hiking boots) and that'll provide a good workout and great scenery... this looks great. Only thing is on the site here it says the Denny Creek trail is closed as of July. Says you have to use the Franklin Falls trailhead. The only thing that comes up when i search for Franklin Falls is Trail 1036 which is rated as easy, so not quite what i'm looking for. Is that different than Franklin Falls trailheard, or does that one connect to the Melakwa Lake trail? If so, do i need to add the two distances together? Any information is much appreciated.

Hiked up here on Friday 8/16 and stayed overnight by the lake. We got to the Franklin Falls trailhead around 5:30 and reached the lake a little after 9 (I am slow, so a faster hiker could do it much faster!) It was definitely steep and challenging, especially the rocky section in the middle. Unfortunately it was overcast, so we never saw the lake, however it was still beautiful to wake up in a foggy wooded wonderland. The foggy conditions also made our tent/all of our stuff pretty wet.

Beautiful trail! Melakwa was a bit foggy by the time we arrived, but it was definitely worth the effort. Cloudy and chilly day, so not too crowded. My GPS tracked 10 miles round trip.

Hiked this with a friend on Friday 8/16/19. We arrived at the trailhead around 8:30a. Remember the parking area is closed so you have to park at the Franklin Falls trailhead nearby. The hike itself was doable with an ease in to the steeper part of the trail. The weather was overcast and unfortunately we could not see the lake. However we were entertained by other forms of “wildlife “. Despite missing out on the views of the lake due to the weather, we could tell they would be amazing on a clear day so this is definitely one to come back to. Also a shout out to the WTA workers working on the trail, great job and we appreciate your work!