Melakwa Lake via Denny Creek Trail

Melakwa Lake via Denny Creek Trail is a 8.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

beach

old growth

Hike along Denny creek, underneath I-90 past a couple of waterfalls, ending at a high alpine lake.

The first third is genital and easy. At the river crossing stay to the left the trail is marked high on a tree. The second section is a bit harder with some switch backs to the falls. After that the trail get a bit narly and very rocky in spots. Once over the pass the last half mile to the lake is down hill and a bit steep at times. the lake is stunning.

Lots of rocks, make sure you have good ankle support!

Great trail, we got off the trail a little and hopped rocks up the creek. Beautiful place.

If that was the last hike of the season , I would have no regrets. A “must do” for any hiker. Amazing views, waterfalls, nice lake and the change of the leaves just adds to the beauty. Will definitely be back again!

My friend and I did this hike in Summer and ate berries the whole way up. Lovely trail and good workout. It was chillier and windier at the lakes than we expected, but we brought our bathing suits and went in anyway. Some kids had cheap blow up rafts and gave us one when they were done with it. That was fun. Don't miss upper Melakwa lake nearby, which looks very different and is worth seeing. ...Melakwa means mosquito, but we only saw (lot's of) bugs that were similar to mosquitos. No biters.

More like 4.5 stars due to traffic. This is also sort of a review for Kaleetan Peak.

Solid trail, moderate is a good rating for this. The waterfall was very pretty and the lake with Kaleetan Peak and Chair Peak on either side was absolutely gorgeous. Once we got to the lake, we set-up camp, and did Kaleetan via the Toilet path (Gaia app has the trail). Highly recommend doing Kaleetan if you're in good shape as the views are stunning.
I suggest doing Kaleetan this way as taking a short break once you reach the lake really helped re-energize. Dumping gear and switching out a large pack for a much smaller one felt heavenly and being able to come back down from the amazing summit to camp and stuff my face was great!

One of the most beautiful hikes I've been on with varied views and terrain. I don't believe the 8.5 mile round trip though. Felt like 11 which is what my pedometer said.

Several lovely waterfalls along the trail. Denny Creek is worth the slight detour to explore, and a good place to lunch. The tranquility of Melakwa Lake was somewhat blemished by the constant buzzing of wasps. Wildfire smoke definitely affected views.

Not only a great hike to a beautiful lake, but lots of scenic places to stop along the way!

I loved this hike! It was a great challenge for me given the circumstances, and was a great distraction from issues at hand!

I’ll go back some day with a swimsuit. That lake is gorgeous!

We started early so it wasn't too busy. Set out to summit Kaleetan Peak but didn't make it to the top this time. Need to get more confident on very steep boot paths.

Beautiful lake and hike. It's a grind so make sure to bring some water and good boots and a extra pair of clothes for jumping in the lake.

Started off at 10:30am. Used the $5 day pass that you can purchase online and print at home. Parking was full when we got there. Fortunately there is extra parking if you back track a little bit and instead of making a left at the bathrooms and across the bridge to the main lot, you would drive straight up with the bathrooms on your left and a bit further from there is about 60 spots. Fortunately we had lots of choices....

The hike itself started off easy. Took a quick rest stop at the water slide. Enjoyed the water temp. Perfect for the hot day. The intensity slowly picked up. It gets tougher once you hit those rocks, especially being out in the open with no shade for sometime. In and out of the forest trees, was grateful for every inch of shade. The hardest part was the last steep stretch up the mountain right after the rocky path, which you're already exhausted from, from avoiding slipping and twisting your ankle.

2.5 hours later, we reached the lake. That's with a dog, puppy in the backpack and a grumpy teenager. The lake was certainly worth it. Only regret is not getting up sooner and having more time to enjoy the water. Took a quick dip, water temp was refreshing and just what you need after the hike. Scenery was absolutely gorgeous. Take your time at the lake if you can.

Had to wash and take care of the dog's paws with some balm at the end of the day. The rocky part of the hike was rough on the paws.

Got to trailhead around 730 and there was ample parking. I would give the lake itself 5 stars, it was beautiful. However, the trail wasn't great. It was super rocky in many areas, making for slippery steps with the drizzly day. The trail was super narrow for at least 2 of the 4.25 miles one way, so passing others on the trail was difficult.

Made it up in an hour and 45 min and about the same timing back down the trail. Lot was overflowing with zero parking once we got down.

Went 8/10-8/11. "Melakwa" certainly stand for its name. But it shouldn't be judged by all the bugs that await at the top. On warm days like we've been having, bugs are a given. It should be expected. But! This is a nice quiet lake. Water is amazingly clear and warm enough to swim in once you get going. At least for a Thursday/Friday one night stay kind of trip we basically had the whole lake to ourselves that night. The trail is definitely a moderate hike. The heat and the rocks on the way up make it seem a lot more difficult. You hit denny creek and a water fall that are good areas to stop at if you don't plan on going all the way to the lake. One thing is for sure, use A LOT of bug spray. It helps.

Some flies, kinda longish and steepish hiking, the lake is excellent swimming temperature. Loved it, will do it again.

Long hike, but worth it when you get there! Definitely bring bug spray though, there were a lot of biting flies and mosquitoes.

This should definitely be marked as Hard. Pretty challenging, but worth it. This trail has everything. Lots of wildflowers, a few waterfalls, 2 bodies of water to cross, snow, and your gorgeous lake at the end. It was the hardest hike I have done so far. Id love to go again to camp at the lake. Make sure to have hiking shoes/boots, tons of water, and plenty of time. Took us about 6 hours including 30min at the lake.

Fantastic and challenging hike. We saw just a few patches of snow but didn't have to walk over any. I was surprised at reviews that discussed snow! And yes, rocky. Be cautious with dogs. We carried ours (fortunately a small Boston Terrier) because we were concerned about some of the very sharp rocks. BTW, I'm 59 years old and did fine with some pauses a long the way. I hiked with my 20 something daughter and we both thought it was great workout and worth the effort. Lake is stunning! We saw very few people beyond waterslide area, but it was in middle of week.