Melakwa Lake via Denny Creek Trail

Melakwa Lake via Denny Creek Trail is a 8.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

beach

old growth

Hike along Denny creek, underneath I-90 past a couple of waterfalls, ending at a high alpine lake.

The first third is genital and easy. At the river crossing stay to the left the trail is marked high on a tree. The second section is a bit harder with some switch backs to the falls. After that the trail get a bit narly and very rocky in spots. Once over the pass the last half mile to the lake is down hill and a bit steep at times. the lake is stunning.

Lots of rocks, make sure you have good ankle support!

Great trail, we got off the trail a little and hopped rocks up the creek. Beautiful place.

If that was the last hike of the season , I would have no regrets. A “must do” for any hiker. Amazing views, waterfalls, nice lake and the change of the leaves just adds to the beauty. Will definitely be back again!

My friend and I did this hike in Summer and ate berries the whole way up. Lovely trail and good workout. It was chillier and windier at the lakes than we expected, but we brought our bathing suits and went in anyway. Some kids had cheap blow up rafts and gave us one when they were done with it. That was fun. Don't miss upper Melakwa lake nearby, which looks very different and is worth seeing. ...Melakwa means mosquito, but we only saw (lot's of) bugs that were similar to mosquitos. No biters.

More like 4.5 stars due to traffic. This is also sort of a review for Kaleetan Peak.

Solid trail, moderate is a good rating for this. The waterfall was very pretty and the lake with Kaleetan Peak and Chair Peak on either side was absolutely gorgeous. Once we got to the lake, we set-up camp, and did Kaleetan via the Toilet path (Gaia app has the trail). Highly recommend doing Kaleetan if you're in good shape as the views are stunning.
I suggest doing Kaleetan this way as taking a short break once you reach the lake really helped re-energize. Dumping gear and switching out a large pack for a much smaller one felt heavenly and being able to come back down from the amazing summit to camp and stuff my face was great!

One of the most beautiful hikes I've been on with varied views and terrain. I don't believe the 8.5 mile round trip though. Felt like 11 which is what my pedometer said.

9/11/2017 (Monday) -- Clear in the morning, 55F, then came the smoke, hot in the open sections, up to near 80F. The rocks pose serious challenges to my creaky knees. It's no easier than Mt. Si and Mt. Washington, though almost same length and less elevation gain. The lake view is one of the best. Little or no water in the creeks and falls. Very dry. The lower 1/3 in the woods (1.4 miles) is easy and comfortable as compared with the upper 2/3 rocky sections.

Several lovely waterfalls along the trail. Denny Creek is worth the slight detour to explore, and a good place to lunch. The tranquility of Melakwa Lake was somewhat blemished by the constant buzzing of wasps. Wildfire smoke definitely affected views.