McDonald Mountain Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(219)
Kanaskat Palmer State Park

McDonald Mountain Trail is a 9.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ravensdale, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,552 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This moderate to difficult trail has a steady elevation gain to the top of McDonald Mountain offering stunning views from there. This trail borders the Green River Watershed, which is closed to the public. To avoid accidentally entering please stay on the trail. Please note that the end of this trail also borders the protected watershed. Please do not enter this area or wander from the trail.

Good trail for socially-distanced hike. More logging road than trail--not difficult but nice incline.

Definitely a difficult trail if you’re mountain biking up to the tower. It is a steep climb.

Great trail, dog friendly, not very difficult. The only downside to this was that the viewpoint is located on protected land and you are not supposed to hike in there. There were two men at the bottom of the trailhead who were taking pictures of license plates and then pictures of you at the top if you went onto the protected land. Then they would look you up and write you a ticket for trespassing. The view from the radio tower (the furthest you can go without going into the protected land) is okay but I don’t think it was worth the miles to get up there. Overall, I wish I would have known before hiking it so I could adjust my expectations of the view.

recorded McDonald Mountain Trail

This was a good climb, not super busy. It was mostly in the woods with a few spots with views along the way. We were stopped by a guy in a truck who told us to make sure we obeyed the signs and let us know there are lots of cameras in the area. I found that a little sketchy and when we got to the last part of the trail I was nervous to go beyond the ‘no trespassing’ sign. I think it is fine to go the whole way, not sure why it’s such a big concern. If I do it again I will definitely go to the end.

Trail is muddy in spots but not too bad. Steady climb to the top not too challenging. It’s basically an old road so well over 6 ft wide which does make it perfect for the current situation. 8 cars when I arrived at 10 and 8 cars when I left at 1315. At the top...Make sure and take the path to the left follow it for the amazing views...yes you can go past the sign...and watch for little trails veering off to the right from the main trail for more viewpoints.

Good hike! The trail was a little hard to follow since there were a lot of forks in the path with no signs, but recording the hike helps just in case!

It starts off as a trail and then turns into a old road you follow up. It’s a good workout. Not too hard but no easy. Hard to follow at times since it breaks off into other roads so my suggestion is to record your hike so you don’t get lost. We didn’t make it out the the final viewpoint but found a good view point to stop at since it was raining and there was thunder and lightening.

Great little hike. Great views from the top. Benches to sit and eat lunch on. Avoid the dangerous illegal dirt bikers.

Great trail for a day hike, to get out of the house! You know we all need that right now! This trail starts on some mountain bike trails, so do be careful. After a mile it’s breaks off into a old forest road. Decently maintained. Your thighs and legs will fill the climb. But that’s the only thing. Not technical besides the climb. But the view is out of this world! Enjoy!

icy

Fantastic hike! Lots of snow and ice about two miles in or so but it’s manageable. Brilliant view from the top!

icy

Starting in about 1 mile, there is snow on the trail. Not too deep until you get to the top where there is a significant amount of snow. We climbed with simply boots. Used micro spikes at the top, but snowshoes would’ve been much easier. As we left we saw about 10 more people coming up, also just using boots, so I imagine the trail is pretty well created by now. It was a beautiful day to see the views. Make sure you take the side trail towards the Green River watershed, about 150 ft from the top, rather than just go where the cell tower is. That’s where the great views are.

Great trail. I’m a bit early in the season. Ran into snow and had to turn around.

Quiet trail off the side of a paved road. 7 parking spots. Lots of side trails but the main one is obvious until you get up to the roads. Use the map to stay on trail. Views I’m sure are good. I went on a snowy blustery day.

private property

Everyone says that the view is narrow and overgrown at the top by the cell tower. 150 feet from the top is a sign that says Green river water shed no trespassing. You go down that trail 200 yards and you will see a short path on the right that drops to a view you will never forget. Mt Rainier is in your face.