McClellan Butte Trail

McClellan Butte Trail is a 9.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

snowboarding

From Seattle, east on I-90 to exit 42 (Tinkham Road). Turn right off the freeway for and travel 0.3 miles to FSR 5500-101. Turn right and go 0.2 miles to the trailhead at the end of road.

Great hike. I did it solo on 29 July. I debated about bringing poles or not. There were some steep parts on the trail up that I wouldn't mind having them. On the way down, I was quite wishing I brought them. I was able to do some trail running on the path down that saved my knees but they were aching.

Do the scrabble - if dry weather and your teetering on if you will or not. It's worth it. It is a clear path up (look for the worn parts) and nice deep hand holds. If you are sure of your grip, you can do it. Just take your time and the top is lovely solid area - with plenty of the bugs. The way down was more tricky (as it generally is). I had over tightened my shoe for the scramble up and got a foot cramp on top so I decided to scoot down on my bum. It worked quite well.

On the trail, I passed another solo woman - we were both playing podcasts on our phone loudly as a bear deterrent. Can't claim causation but did not see any bears.

Beautiful and worth the time and effort!!!
The views from the top are spectacular!
A few fallen trees on the trail and a "touch" of snow...add to the adventure!

Very nice! A well kept and low-traffic moderate hike. Expect snow until early May. Surrounding mountain roads offer excellent jeeping for all levels. We'll definitely come back!

Very pretty trail. The top is pretty small though and the time of year (October) it was a little icy. Still worth it, a great work out!

This is an amazing trail! You are certainly going to do at least 13 miles... I think the 9 miles in the description is calculated from the John Wayne Trail. Most of your elevation gain will happen in the last 3 miles… This is a great way to use the first 3 miles up as a warm-up. As of this day October 11, there was a lot of ice and snow on the north west flank… This was not an issue(yet) for the approach on the scary scramble.. this is a hard hike… Be ready. As far as the blow downs, this should not be an issue for most people that hike on a regular basis… At least five trees and they were not really hard to cross or figure out… There should be no problem following this trail all the way to the top.. 6 1/2 miles up and 6 1/2 miles down… I recorded this with two different GPS devices and they both agree

I don't get out enough, so for me the trail was hard. The first few miles were okay, but the last few were challenging. And for my blistered, aching feet, down was much worse. We saw spray painted numbers on the trees which we assumed corresponded with miles, but it went past 6, which is different than stated here. My phone wasn't working so I couldn't track our hike, but my brother's iPhone counted 14 miles, round trip. I looked it up online and some sites say 10. The view at the top was very pretty, though we didn't catch a view of Mt Rainier due to cloud coverage. A very beautiful hike.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Did this hike yesterday and it was great, even on a cloudy day. Definitely going back on a sunnier day. Do no get used to the first two miles, those are easy. The last three not so much. There are multiple points on the last half mile where trees are blocking the trail, it takes some figuring out but should be able to make it through. Its definitely worth it making to the top!

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Sunny day, great view on the top. The scramble is a little bit scaring but doable. Well-maintained trail and not many people there.