Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

McClellan Butte Trail is a 9.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.2 miles Elevation Gain: 3,717 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From Seattle, east on I-90 to exit 42 (Tinkham Road). Turn right off the freeway for and travel 0.3 miles to FSR 5500-101. Turn right and go 0.2 miles to the trailhead at the end of road.

Lots of snow and straight lined it to the top it was amazing. Only one to the summit today

icy

Attempted May 8, 2020. Unless you’re an experienced mountaineer with crampons, not recommended. We got only 2/3 of the way up before the snow was about 10 feet high and path was nowhere to be seen.

icy

We were able to drive to the upper trailhead without any snow. Once on trail the snow starts within the first 1/2 mile. Traction devices will be needed, snowshoes will definitely be needed about half way up. The chutes are pretty easy to cross. We did not go up the scramble. Very icy.

icy

Still quite passable, even without walking sticks. Beautiful views when clear.

icy

This summit has been on a my shortlist for over 6 years now. I would be lying if I said reaching the top this morning was an easy feat. The snow started no less than three miles from the top and transitioned to ice as continued to climb. Sadly this was one of the very few days I forgot my spikes... I made it with poles, but truly wish I had my spikes. When I exited out from under the last few trees below the summit, I was greeted with the 150 ft class 4 scramble that I had read about many times before. After a series of deep breaths, I pushed onward and upward. As I climbed on top of the ridge, my body filled with a feeling that no amount of words can ever describe. It’s these moments that take my breath away and fuel my soul.

Amazing trail! Path is clear and clean. I showed up at 10am bumped into about 5 people. Definitely a steep climb up but completely worth it for the view!

Great hike! Snow starts about 4 miles in. Great workout. Took 3.5 hrs up and 2 hrs down. Saw only 1 other person on the hike. Be aware that the bathroom at the trailhead is closed!

this Trail is awesome but I definitely recommend it on a clear day if you want that view. it's a real kick in the chips if you're not ready for it after about 3 miles in the elevation gain is constant and aggressive. made it all the way up to the scramble but it started dumping rain so I decided not to attempt that while wet, will have to come back and Summit on a sunny dry day. took about 2 hours up 1.5 down

Great hike. Trail in good condition. Good hike, uphill through the forest about 5-1/2 miles the a cool scramble up a rock hill to the top which is not for the faint of heart. View north was blocked at times by fog/clouds but go some good glimpses of I-90 and valley below. South was socked in. Took about 3 hours to the top and less than 2 to get back down.

Nice trail. It is 6 miles up from the parking lot. It's 9 miles round trip only if you drive up to the old trailhead. Scramble was not too bad as long as you find good footing. I think Mt Si haystack is longer and harder. Good training hike.

Wow. Yeah, that’s a legit challenging trail. Awesome workout, beautiful scenery. The summit is worth the effort and the miles go by quickly. But yeah, it’s a full 6 miles up, so be ready. No bugs, great weather. Awesome with a dog.