McClellan Butte Trail

McClellan Butte Trail is a 9.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

snowboarding

From Seattle, east on I-90 to exit 42 (Tinkham Road). Turn right off the freeway for and travel 0.3 miles to FSR 5500-101. Turn right and go 0.2 miles to the trailhead at the end of road.

Very nice! A well kept and low-traffic moderate hike. Expect snow until early May. Surrounding mountain roads offer excellent jeeping for all levels. We'll definitely come back!

Very pretty trail. The top is pretty small though and the time of year (October) it was a little icy. Still worth it, a great work out!

This is an amazing trail! You are certainly going to do at least 13 miles... I think the 9 miles in the description is calculated from the John Wayne Trail. Most of your elevation gain will happen in the last 3 miles… This is a great way to use the first 3 miles up as a warm-up. As of this day October 11, there was a lot of ice and snow on the north west flank… This was not an issue(yet) for the approach on the scary scramble.. this is a hard hike… Be ready. As far as the blow downs, this should not be an issue for most people that hike on a regular basis… At least five trees and they were not really hard to cross or figure out… There should be no problem following this trail all the way to the top.. 6 1/2 miles up and 6 1/2 miles down… I recorded this with two different GPS devices and they both agree

I don't get out enough, so for me the trail was hard. The first few miles were okay, but the last few were challenging. And for my blistered, aching feet, down was much worse. We saw spray painted numbers on the trees which we assumed corresponded with miles, but it went past 6, which is different than stated here. My phone wasn't working so I couldn't track our hike, but my brother's iPhone counted 14 miles, round trip. I looked it up online and some sites say 10. The view at the top was very pretty, though we didn't catch a view of Mt Rainier due to cloud coverage. A very beautiful hike.

Did this hike yesterday and it was great, even on a cloudy day. Definitely going back on a sunnier day. Do no get used to the first two miles, those are easy. The last three not so much. There are multiple points on the last half mile where trees are blocking the trail, it takes some figuring out but should be able to make it through. Its definitely worth it making to the top!

Sunny day, great view on the top. The scramble is a little bit scaring but doable. Well-maintained trail and not many people there.

Great and fun hike! Recorded at 5.5 miles one way, so 11 miles total. The scramble up to the summit was a bit intimidating when you look down because it was so exposed (see my photo above), but it was fairly easy going up and down as there are easy footholds and handholds! The view of Mount Rainier from the summit was amazing, plus you can see Mount Baker to the north, the Cascades of course, and the Olympics in the far west. Amazing 360 view!

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Monday, June 20, 2016

Great trail just a few snow spots but no problem! I tracked a total of just over 10 miles !

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Great trail. Had to leave my dog at the bottom of the scramble.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Friday, September 18, 2015

Very little traffic on the trail today. Wished I had just a little more time before I had to head back down to make it home in time for the school bus. Didn't quite make it to the top but will be back. Great work out & the trail is in good shape. In a week or so the views with fall foliage will be impressive.

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Fun hike! A really good workout! The purple numbers seem to be in kilometers, not miles. Great views from atop the scramble! MUCH easier scrambling down than up!

Friday, July 24, 2015