McClellan Butte Trail

McClellan Butte Trail is a 9.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

From Seattle, east on I-90 to exit 42 (Tinkham Road). Turn right off the freeway for and travel 0.3 miles to FSR 5500-101. Turn right and go 0.2 miles to the trailhead at the end of road.

No snow. Great hike and end view. It’s pretty steep so if you’re unconditioned it might take you a while to get to the scramble.

very good hike. according to my tracker it is 10.1 mile rt. lots of snow at the top. last 2 miles was covered in snow. so used micros pikes to hike that part.

Nice trail plenty of snow today and fantastic view ...

Arrived at the trailhead around 7:40 AM with about three other vehicles in the lot. First couple of miles were good, crossed a couple roads that I saw cars at on the way down, so it's possible to park closer and cut off mileage. A few logs crossing the trail, but otherwise it was in very good condition. The smoke was heavy and ash was raining down so views on the way up, as well as on top, weren't great.
The scramble definitely looks more intimidating than it actually is. Take it slowly, fortunately there are many footholds and a lot of rock to grip. Once at the top, we had the view to ourselves for about 20 minutes, and after that we headed down. Saw about 10 more people on the way back. Awesome trail, will be back when it's cleared up.

Definitely a challenging hike! Did it yesterday and sadly because of the fires all the views were blocked by smoke. I didn't chance the scramble however it seems doable. Would recommend poles especially for the way down since it's so steep. It took us about 3 hours to get up with a few breaks along the way.

Quite steep. Higher difficulty than Si for sure. Went up the Butte!

I put this hike off for many years because the final rock climb to the summit sounded intimidating, but it was quite easy. The rock is very jagged with many hand and foot holds. It's flat on the top with room for several people to take a break. I was alone on the summit for about 40 minutes before heading back down. It was a cloudless day but very hazy. It took me three hours to hike from the trailhead to the summit and two hours down. I went slow on the rock section, but made up time by jogging the last few miles to the parking lot.

Beautiful wooded trail. Well maintained except for the fallen trees near the top, but they're easy enough to get around. It took me around 2 hours to get to the top, but I was pushing my pace hard.

There was no pay station at the trailhead that I could see, so make sure you bring a northwest pass.

The view was very cool, but I'm disappointed I didn't make it up the scramble for the unobstructed views. Although there were plenty of handholds, there was no room for mistakes. I'd heard that the scramble was exposed ... but seriously, if you start falling you're not gonna stop. Rolling down a rocky cliff is not how I want to die!

Great views even without doing the scramble!

Great views even without doing the scramble!

Great hike. I did it solo on 29 July. I debated about bringing poles or not. There were some steep parts on the trail up that I wouldn't mind having them. On the way down, I was quite wishing I brought them. I was able to do some trail running on the path down that saved my knees but they were aching.

Do the scrabble - if dry weather and your teetering on if you will or not. It's worth it. It is a clear path up (look for the worn parts) and nice deep hand holds. If you are sure of your grip, you can do it. Just take your time and the top is lovely solid area - with plenty of the bugs. The way down was more tricky (as it generally is). I had over tightened my shoe for the scramble up and got a foot cramp on top so I decided to scoot down on my bum. It worked quite well.

On the trail, I passed another solo woman - we were both playing podcasts on our phone loudly as a bear deterrent. Can't claim causation but did not see any bears.

Beautiful and worth the time and effort!!!
The views from the top are spectacular!
A few fallen trees on the trail and a "touch" of snow...add to the adventure!

Very nice! A well kept and low-traffic moderate hike. Expect snow until early May. Surrounding mountain roads offer excellent jeeping for all levels. We'll definitely come back!

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Very pretty trail. The top is pretty small though and the time of year (October) it was a little icy. Still worth it, a great work out!

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

This is an amazing trail! You are certainly going to do at least 13 miles... I think the 9 miles in the description is calculated from the John Wayne Trail. Most of your elevation gain will happen in the last 3 miles… This is a great way to use the first 3 miles up as a warm-up. As of this day October 11, there was a lot of ice and snow on the north west flank… This was not an issue(yet) for the approach on the scary scramble.. this is a hard hike… Be ready. As far as the blow downs, this should not be an issue for most people that hike on a regular basis… At least five trees and they were not really hard to cross or figure out… There should be no problem following this trail all the way to the top.. 6 1/2 miles up and 6 1/2 miles down… I recorded this with two different GPS devices and they both agree

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

I don't get out enough, so for me the trail was hard. The first few miles were okay, but the last few were challenging. And for my blistered, aching feet, down was much worse. We saw spray painted numbers on the trees which we assumed corresponded with miles, but it went past 6, which is different than stated here. My phone wasn't working so I couldn't track our hike, but my brother's iPhone counted 14 miles, round trip. I looked it up online and some sites say 10. The view at the top was very pretty, though we didn't catch a view of Mt Rainier due to cloud coverage. A very beautiful hike.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Did this hike yesterday and it was great, even on a cloudy day. Definitely going back on a sunnier day. Do no get used to the first two miles, those are easy. The last three not so much. There are multiple points on the last half mile where trees are blocking the trail, it takes some figuring out but should be able to make it through. Its definitely worth it making to the top!

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Sunny day, great view on the top. The scramble is a little bit scaring but doable. Well-maintained trail and not many people there.

Monday, June 27, 2016

Great and fun hike! Recorded at 5.5 miles one way, so 11 miles total. The scramble up to the summit was a bit intimidating when you look down because it was so exposed (see my photo above), but it was fairly easy going up and down as there are easy footholds and handholds! The view of Mount Rainier from the summit was amazing, plus you can see Mount Baker to the north, the Cascades of course, and the Olympics in the far west. Amazing 360 view!