For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Mason Lake via Ira Spring Memorial Trail is a 6.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 6.7 mi Elevation gain 2,293 ft Route type Out & Back

Facilities
Contact
Tips
Getting There

Note: There is a $5 parking fee. The trail up to the summit of Bendera Mountain is a great escape from Seattle. The last 1.5 miles of the trail gain 1800 feet by cutting straight up the mountain on a narrow path (2 feet wide in most places), the last .5 mile gaining 1000 feet. Difficult as this last leg, the view at the top, and the feeling of accomplishment, is not to be denied.

Federal Northwest Forest Pass to park Vault toilet at the trailhead

Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest North Bend Ranger Station 42404 Southeast North Bend Way North Bend, WA 98045 Tel: 425.888-1421

1. Take plenty of water. After you cross the creek, early in the hike, there are no water sources along the trail to the top. 2. Hiking/trekking poles will give you an advantage, especially as you ascend and descend the half mile to the top and back. 3. Use mosquito repellent! This creature may be the state bird of Alaska and Minnesota, but you'll find it in abundance at the top of the mountain. Since few people actually make the ascent to the top, all of them are voracious.

From Seattle, E on I-90 to exit 45. Left over the freeway on FSR 9030 for 0.5 miles to FSR 9031. Veer left, 4 miles to trailhead

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (1405)
Photos (1833)
Recordings (1142)
Completed (3239)
Ro Wena
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020
View Ro's Recording
TYN photography
HikingBugsGreat!

Great hike, loved variety of views, beautiful rocks, wildflowers, amazing views of mountains along the way. There were a lot of bug at the lake and the water was warm. Went on a hike around 9 am and there were a few people on Friday as we were going down around 12 pm there were more people on a trail. Everyone was wearing masks. It was very hard the first hour because you just climb up all the way, so be prepared for that leg workout.

Katie Keaton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 6, 2020
Hiking

Muddy and wet! Rainy day, but it was cool to see the lake as an alpine infinity pool.

View Katie's Recording
Josephine Fodge
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 5, 2020
HikingBugsGreat!Rocky

Lovely trail! Ended up being more about 7.5 round trip. Lots of fun but rocky half way up. Lake is gorgeous and great to swim in. Bugs but nothing crazy. Saw a bear but it was fine!

Deirdre Sanborn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2020
Hiking

One of my new favorite PNW hikes! Don’t forget sunscreen! Don’t let the comments about the road stop you from doing this amazing hike! I got up in my Hyundai Sonata just fine with a little navigating and slow driving.

View Deirdre's Recording
Iain Foulds
View Iain's Recording
Madeline Van Elzen
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 3, 2020
View Madeline's Recording
Vera Ellich
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020
Hiking

Great day. Difficult at the top, rock scrambling.

View Vera's Recording
Kundavai Krishnan
HikingGreat!

A wonderful hike with a beautiful lake to take a dip in. the trail condition is fantastic although the road leading up to the trailhead is not in a good condition with a lot of potholes for last 3 miles. Arrived at the parking by 8:45 on Saturday and had to park quarter mile from the trailhead. while I was back, the last car was almost a mile away from the trailhead. Get there early. NW Forest pass or America the beautiful pass interagency will be accepted. DISCOVERY PASS NOT ACCEPTED. there are sections where the elevation gain is high in a short distance but I never needed the poles even though I took them with me. Nice view of Mount Rainier from several locations in the trail. most people had masks on and were really respectful of the social distancing. Did trail running on the way down in the last 1.5 miles. Overall a great day and a good workout.

Scott Dykzeul
HikingFeeGreat!

I did this hike on a Sunday morning, arriving approximately 9:30am. This hike is conveniently close to i-90, but the road to reach it is definitely bumpy. The Hyundai Sonata I drove made it up to the trail head with no issues. Contrary to the summary, the parking lot IS in fact open. Parking cost $5, cash or check. I'm not sure who has checks anymore. Regardless, the lot was already full by the time I arrived, so I just parked down the road a bit and paid my $5 in an envelope while making my way in. While the hike is strenuous due to the amount of climbing, it was approachable. I have not hiked in a year, but am in my early 30's and relatively active. I jog 3 miles twice a week and cycle about 25 miles every weekend. I wore running shoes but would suggest better hiking shoes if possible. Going to the top was fine, but I found the way down I lost my traction a few times on the trail. I did not find an abundance of bugs. I saw dogs. Small dogs. Big dogs. I left my french bulldog at home as he most definitely would not have made it to the top. He will stick to his 3 mile walk at discovery park in Seattle. This hike is meant for an athletic dog. The trail was not too busy on the way up, with about 75% of people putting on masks as you passed, but the way down was definitely busier. The wildflowers, vistas, and lake were gorgeous. Would definitely do again.

Cal Fuqua
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020
HikingGreat!

Ascended via the new trail, descended on the old. (Not sure how to piece the two together) Trail conditions? New trail wide, clear of obstructions and crowded. could be walked in tennis shoes. Old trail? Still appears to be maintained , but less frequently. It’s steep, but passable. Ran into zero people on it though. Wear boots with stiff ankle support. Expect to utilize 3 points of contact in multiple places. My guess is that if your goal in taking the old trail is to save time, then don’t take it. It’s a wonderful trek through dark serine forest with filtered sunlight , moss carpeting Almost everything within 6 feet of grade. The lake: Crowded at the lake, 90% masked up. Bugs - but light. Lake was not at all cold. Great hike, will do again, but likely mid week.

View Cal's Recording
Andrey Chudnovskiy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020
View Andrey's Recording
Aarya Hashimi
Hiking

Great hike. Terrible road to get there.

View Aarya's Recording
Stephanie Culet
View Stephanie's Recording
Dayne Kirk
WalkingGreat!
View Dayne's Recording
Jed Johnson
Hiking

Great trail! The views are worth it and the hike is not bad. If you are looking for longer hikes, this is a good stepping off point. Trail is in good condition, bring big spray and the road is bumpy. Enjoy!

View Jed's Recording
Tim Smith
View Tim's Recording
Siddharth Chandra
Hiking

Absolutely great hike with amazing views of rainier. Start early as it gets pretty hot later on the day. Not that heavily trafficked either but parking lot is extremely small. Serious potholes on the last 2 miles to trail head!!

Michelle Fouard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 30, 2020
HikingBugs

Tons of potholes on the way there, but I made it fine in my 2016 Kia Rio lx. We made it to the trailhead at about 10:30. Managed to get a spot in the parking lot. We went up the ira spring trail and back down the mason creek trail hoping for a shorter return. The ira spring trail had lots of wildflowers, absolutely beautiful. There’s lots of exposed bits of trail for ira with no shade so I would recommend a hat and sunscreen if you’re going on a sunny day. Got to the lake at 1, but we are slow and take lots of breaks. The lake was gorgeous, I took a swim and it felt amazing. Best swim of my life. There’s a lot of bugs but I swam past where they were hanging out. Mason creek trail was unmarked in several places where there were clearings, and I was nervous that we would get lost but alltrails helped me every time I was nervous we were off course. I’m a little bit shorter so I had to use my hands a lot to hold my weight as I went over and down lots of rocks and logs. Seriously, don’t take mason creek trail if you’re looking for a short cut. I think we would have been faster going down ira spring trail. It was an awesome hike, had lots of fun there.

Lauren Palon
Hiking

Dog friendly, lots of mosquitoes and flies on the way up. Beautiful alpine lake and perfect for a swim and lunch spot!

View Lauren's Recording
James Ericson
Hiking

Great day for a hike. Kudos to the woman handing out masks. Bugs where minimal. Trails in great condition. Lake was spectacular. Great day for a mid week hike.

Alysha Lee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 29, 2020
HikingBugsScramble
View Alysha's Recording
Zoë Devon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 28, 2020
HikingBugs

We arrived at 9:00 am on a Tuesday and there was plenty of parking. The last 2 miles of road up to the trailhead has a fair number of potholes but cars of all sizes had made it out. The trail has an abundance of wildflowers right now in addition to mountain views on the way up and the lovely lake. Not to many people on the trail and lots of space to spread out once at the lake.

View Zoë's Recording
Abby Wooster
Hiking

Super fun!!! Very scenic route. Have a great day :-)

View Abby's Recording
Claire Moyle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 26, 2020
HikingBugsRockyScramble

I found this to be quite challenging but very worth it. It was for sure a steady incline the whole way up, but once you break thru the tree line up with the rocky scramble, the views are pretty amazing. Keep going and you’ll reach Mason Lake. Plan on taking a dip! The water was so warm. Lots of bugs up there. We entered the trail at 5:15pm and were back to the parking lot around 9pm.