Learn more

Marmot Lake and Jade Lake is a 19.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Roslyn, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 19.8 mi Elevation gain 4,324 ft Route type Out & Back

Scramble

Snow

Description
Waypoints (0)

A gorgeous, difficult hike that may require off-trail hiking, steep inclines, and multiple river crossings. Be prepared to have your feet get wet and pass through snow even in summer weather. In the summer, it is likely to fall through snow as it melts, causing a thin surface layer of snow and nothing beneath. Your legs cam fall through the snow and your foot either hangs, hits the ground, or finds a stream. During such conditions, the trail is not easily seen. Reaching Jade Lake will be difficult. Use GPS and follow along the route on the map. Bring chalk and flagger tape if trekking in the snow. Consider what you will do if you can't find a non-snowy spot to sleep. Northwest Forest Pass required.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (167)
Photos (200)
Recordings (150)
Completed (280)
Elizabeth Keeler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jul 03 2020
HikingBlowdownGreat!MuddyOff trailSnow

TL;DR Sorry, y’all. Jade Lake will have to wait until August. You ~could~ go now, but it’s not safe nor recommended. Marmot is great, but also requires some very sketchy sections. I would wait until August. Longer Overview: The Road: The road is butts. Reallllly big potholes. A river crossing that we easily cleared in our Subaru Forester. I imagine all the water will be clear in three weeks or so. Hold on to your butts on this road. Hyas Lake to Deception Pass (miles 1-6ish) The first three miles are just a nice warm-up walk in the woods. A pretty good number of stream crossings and muddy sections. Lots of loose children running around. Views of Hyas are really beautiful, and there’s a lot of camping around Hyas if you have to change plans. Switchbacks start at about mile 3, but aren’t too bad. At the top of the switchbacks is the “exit” for Robins Lakes, in which you turn right for that path. But you keep going on! Once you hit about mile 4, the snow starts. Going in, we had micro spikes on for most of miles 4-7, intermittently. Coming back, though, a surprising amount of that snow melted overnight, but is definitely still there. A lot easier to follow the trail, but I still recommend a GPS, just in case. Very muddy and lots of sketchy snow bridges coming back. If it stays sunny in the next few days, expect way more mud/water and don’t trust any snow bridges. Deception Pass to Avalanche Field (miles 6ish-8ish) Deception Pass is like a scene out of Jurassic Park. Waterfalls everywhere. Beautiful. Then you start a trek up to the saddle to get to Marmot. There was an avalanche in the winter that destroyed part of the trail, so you have to circumnavigate around some fallen and uprooted trees (nature!!!). At this point, we ran into 5 groups going to Marmot who turned around. We decided to press on. Then we made it to the part that most people turned around. There are three very steep snowfields you have to pass. They get more sketchy as you go. The third is where it gets very dicey. I would not have done it without micro spikes. The snow slope is at about a 30-40° angle that drops off into a broken snow bridge to a big stream and lots of big rocks. So if you fall, it does not end well. Most groups with dogs turned around. Some groups bushwhacked above the field but I imagine that added an hour and lots of scrapes and bruises. We very slowly crossed with micro spikes and poles. This is going to get really nasty in the next two weeks when the snow isn’t as stable. This is why I’d recommend waiting until August. I feel realllly bad for those who turned around because there really isn’t a good place for a campsite without going back well before Deception Pass. You could camp in Deception Pass, but we didn’t see very many clearings. Avalanche Area to Marmot (miles 8ish-9.5ish) Wahoo! You made it. There are two bigger waterfall crossings and some fallen trees and then you’re home free. There is one fork when you go up and left for Marmot. There are a pretty good number of campsites at Marmot once you make your way around about .2-.4 miles. We kept going passed a waterfall crossing and camped on a little jut-out with tree covering. It was beautiful and full of solitude; the earlier campsites are closer together. I don’t think there are many campsites past ours. Jade Lake We decided to go to Jade the next morning. The path gets really gnarly; we were happy we didn’t have our packs. Passed a group coming down from Jade warning us of harsh conditions. 2/3 of them made it with an ice axe and crampons, but felt pretty uncomfortable and found mountain lion tracks at the top. We tried, but the rock/snow pass it too steep and unsafe, with or without the proper gear. We created a few rock slides with just the two of us, so we turned around. The rocks just get too small and unstable, and crossing the falls with the snow seemed too dangerous. The waterfall is too rowdy to hike up it, which is I believe you would usually do. If Jade is your dream, make your dream a little easier by waiting until August. We had fun though!!!! A great challenge. P.S. we saw a marmot before the lake!!! Dreams do come true!!!

Charles Neace
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat May 09 2020
HikingSnow

Hiked 9 May 2020 - Was only able to get within 5miles of trail head. - Trail was snowed over, difficult to stay on track. -would not recommend if you don’t have 4x4 Low or higher than normal clearance on vehicle. Many people got stuck and had to get pulled out. Still pretty and easy to get to. Will be going back when the snow melts more.

View Charles's Recording
Melissa Perez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Nov 03 2019
BackpackingIcyMuddyScrambleSnow

We did this trail Oct 26th -27th and encountered a ton of snow, but we kept pushing on. Snowshoes would definitely had been handy for a lot of the trek. A lot of creek crossings and about 3 or 4 of them were a bit wide. Sticks definitely came in handy, but your feet will get wet. Lots of gain, then short breaks of slightly flat, until the end is just up up up! Tried to make it to Jade Lake but with all the snow, I wasn't comfortable continuing and I definitely didn't want to scramble down it in the morning. So we turned back to try to find a camping spot. bring plenty of layers because it was FREEZING!! Everything had frozen over (including our boots and our water started to too) spikes came in very handy with all the newly formed ice. It took us about 7-8 hours to get to Marmot Lake and about 5ish hours to get back. bathrooms were still open but had no toilet paper. Road was fine but lots of potholes. just take your time and your should be fine.

Katie Keaton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Sep 21 2019
HikingMuddyRockyScramble

This was a fun overnight. We didn’t get started the first day until around noon and made it to Jade lake around 7 pm with quite a few rest breaks throughout the day. The scramble up to Jade lake was pretty treacherous and we were dreading it on the descent down, but found a trail that made it much easier and dodged a lot of the rock scrambling. When hiking up to Jade you’ll take a pretty overgrown trail around Marmot lake that leads to the scramble section. The scramble section has cairns marking the path up the rocks, but if you try and stick to the cairns to the left of the mountain side then you should be able to find the dirt path. It will still be pretty strenuous because you’re at a steep incline, but removes the danger of falling backwards or forwards with a heavy pack on. The hike back down to the parking lot only tools us about 5 hours where as the hike up to around 7. The landscape throughout the hike was ever-changing and there’s 4 alpine lakes that you encounter on this hike alone. It was pretty awesome waking up to the blue of Jade lake just outside my tent. Definitely doable for beginners, but pay very close attention around Marmot lake and heading up the scramble section.

Shaylah O'Brien
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Sep 16 2019
Hiking

This can be done as a day hike but if you aren't an experienced hiker, I'd recommend planning to be in the dark for the last hr or two (bring flashlights). My friends and I are in good shape, but in no way experienced hikers. Took us 13hrs total (including rests and frolicking around the Lakes) - with 10hrs of that being moving time. There's a dirt road leading up to the trailhead. It took about an hr for us to slowly drive down it - due to our car being low and all the potholes. We got to the trailhead at 8am got to the first lake at 1pm and back to the car at 9pm. If we hadn't hiked to Jade we would have been back to the car around 7pm. Mile play by play: Mile 1-3 is a walk in the woods with slight ups and downs in the trail. Mile 3.3-5.5 is up up up. I had a hard time in this area of the hike because I overpacked in water. At 5.5 you'll pass a small pond and that when you've reached the meadow. Mile 5.6-6.8 is a walk through beautiful meadows. We saw a harmless little snake and what flowers are leftover from earlier in the summer. Mile 6.9-7.8 is as hard as 3.3-5.5 was Mile 7.9-8.3 Still uphill but not as grueling as the previous mile was. I believe the waterfall we saw was around 7.8-7.9 Mile 8.4-8.5 and is up and down - mostly down the trail leading to the first lake. We found a section of beach around this area and sat to enjoy our lunch. Mile 8.5-8.9is just getting around the lake to the area where you start climbing to jade. Mile 9-9.4 is living breathing hell. Be careful climb the rocks - as many aren't as secure as they seem. I hugged the treeline. Look for a red flags on trees with the trail opens up to the rocky area, then follow the stacks of stones -these are markers and will lead you to the lake . Mile 9.5- 9.9 nice little walk to the jaw-dropping jade lake

Nigel Swift
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Sep 12 2019
HikingMuddyRockyScramble

This hike was long and hard. I did it yesterday, on Thursday, 09/12/2019. It was a warm and sunny day. I got to the trailhead at 6:40 am and I started the hike at 7:15 am. I got to Marmot Lake around 12 pm and stayed there for about an hour and a half. I left at 1:30 pm and got to Jade Lake around 2:30 pm. I stayed there for an hour. I left at 3:30 pm and got back to my car at 8:30 pm. Getting to Marmot Lake takes some time but isn’t too difficult. It’s about 8.4 miles. There aren’t really any steep sections on the way to Marmot Lake except for this one rocky section at about 7.4 miles in. Marmot Lake is incredibly beautiful. I was on a day hike and ended up spending too much time there relaxing by the water and taking pictures. That’s because getting to Jade Lake from Marmot Lake and back is by far the most difficult part of this hike. It’s roughly 1.4 miles to Jade Lake from the first stop at Marmot Lake. 0.5 miles of this is a very steep section consisting entirely of rocks. There are cairns placed on this section to help guide you to the top, since it’s all rocks. I got lost here because I did not realize this at first. When I got through it I was beat. Jade Lake is worth it though. The light blue gleaming off the lake is mesmerizing. Like Marmot Lake, it is pure beauty. I couldn’t stay very long though since I was beginning to run out of daylight. I spent the last hour/3 miles of my hike back using my headlight to get through complete darkness because by 7:30 pm it was night time. I highly recommend this hike. It’s doable in a day with time to relax at the lakes if you get there very early and keep a good pace.

View Nigel's Recording
dharshana lakshmi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Sep 09 2019
HikingBugsMuddyOff trailOver grownRockyScramble

*You CAN do this as a day trip, but be well rested, eat your breakfast filled w carbs and you have to get up really early to come back home at a reasonable time. My friends and I woke up at 4am and got to the trailhead at 7ish. We took some time sitting and taking pics up at Jade and Marmot so we hit the parking lot back again at 8:30pm got home at 12:20am* - The dirt roads are a HUGE struggle on the way to the trail. Abt an hour drive through its super rocky and a lot of pot holes so pls drive a 4 wheeler and be safe!! my friend brought a two wheeler The Hike 1-4 miles really easy. It’s like a stroll through the woods you hit Hayes Lake at the 4 mile mark ish. It’s a nice spot for a break. The rest of the hike up to the top is fairly easy but it gets really tiring. Especially if you’re carrying heavy equipment. You hit a meadow and it’s a nice straight walk. The way to Marmot is like i said - fairly fine. The way up to Jade is kind of brutal. There’s a rough scramble. Look for rock stacks and red ties as your check points. Jade is absolutely stunning so definitely worth it. Took us an hour and 5 mins to get up there. Conditions/Tips: The bushes are over grown so if you’re doing this w friends (which you should never hike alone lol) keep a little distance. A lot of bugs. Came back home w about 17 bug bites so bring bug spray and lots and lots of water. The hike up to Jade is off trail and a little directional skills is required. You hit a little stroll after the climb tho so that’s nice. If you’re doing this in one day pace your self and be rlly careful. Bring flash lights and let your loved ones know it will be long. We had no signal through the hike and it was kind of a mess trying to get signal and letting our parents know we were safe cuz even after the trail you get no service for the hour on the dirt road and a little bit more till you hit the first town. So pretty and even more prettier than any pictures. So def do it such a rewarding hike :))

jodi v
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Sep 07 2019
Hiking

What a beautiful hike! Lots of people. I am glad we were able to go before it becomes a permit trail.

Mark Nonato
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Sep 06 2019
BackpackingBugsRockyScramble
View Mark's Recording
Ken Bachenberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Sep 04 2019
BackpackingOff trailOver grownRockyScramble

I am 65. I did the hike with my daughter and her friend. 5 hours of hiking in and out. We took a break at Marmot lake on the way in to enjoy the beauty and power up for the last mile to Jade Lake. No bugs at Jade Lake. Clear and spectacular night with phenomenal star gazing. The last mile + from Marmot to Jade is a bit grueling, but worth it.