Marmot Lake and Jade Lake

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(164)
Alpine Lakes Wilderness

Marmot Lake and Jade Lake is a 19.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Roslyn, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 19.8 miles Elevation Gain: 4,324 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A gorgeous, difficult hike that may require off-trail hiking, steep inclines, and multiple river crossings. Be prepared to have your feet get wet and pass through snow even in summer weather. In the summer, it is likely to fall through snow as it melts, causing a thin surface layer of snow and nothing beneath. Your legs cam fall through the snow and your foot either hangs, hits the ground, or finds a stream. During such conditions, the trail is not easily seen. Reaching Jade Lake will be difficult. Use GPS and follow along the route on the map. Bring chalk and flagger tape if trekking in the snow. Consider what you will do if you can't find a non-snowy spot to sleep. Northwest Forest Pass required.

Hiked 9 May 2020 - Was only able to get within 5miles of trail head. - Trail was snowed over, difficult to stay on track. -would not recommend if you don’t have 4x4 Low or higher than normal clearance on vehicle. Many people got stuck and had to get pulled out. Still pretty and easy to get to. Will be going back when the snow melts more.

icy

We did this trail Oct 26th -27th and encountered a ton of snow, but we kept pushing on. Snowshoes would definitely had been handy for a lot of the trek. A lot of creek crossings and about 3 or 4 of them were a bit wide. Sticks definitely came in handy, but your feet will get wet. Lots of gain, then short breaks of slightly flat, until the end is just up up up! Tried to make it to Jade Lake but with all the snow, I wasn't comfortable continuing and I definitely didn't want to scramble down it in the morning. So we turned back to try to find a camping spot. bring plenty of layers because it was FREEZING!! Everything had frozen over (including our boots and our water started to too) spikes came in very handy with all the newly formed ice. It took us about 7-8 hours to get to Marmot Lake and about 5ish hours to get back. bathrooms were still open but had no toilet paper. Road was fine but lots of potholes. just take your time and your should be fine.

This was a fun overnight. We didn’t get started the first day until around noon and made it to Jade lake around 7 pm with quite a few rest breaks throughout the day. The scramble up to Jade lake was pretty treacherous and we were dreading it on the descent down, but found a trail that made it much easier and dodged a lot of the rock scrambling. When hiking up to Jade you’ll take a pretty overgrown trail around Marmot lake that leads to the scramble section. The scramble section has cairns marking the path up the rocks, but if you try and stick to the cairns to the left of the mountain side then you should be able to find the dirt path. It will still be pretty strenuous because you’re at a steep incline, but removes the danger of falling backwards or forwards with a heavy pack on. The hike back down to the parking lot only tools us about 5 hours where as the hike up to around 7. The landscape throughout the hike was ever-changing and there’s 4 alpine lakes that you encounter on this hike alone. It was pretty awesome waking up to the blue of Jade lake just outside my tent. Definitely doable for beginners, but pay very close attention around Marmot lake and heading up the scramble section.

This can be done as a day hike but if you aren't an experienced hiker, I'd recommend planning to be in the dark for the last hr or two (bring flashlights). My friends and I are in good shape, but in no way experienced hikers. Took us 13hrs total (including rests and frolicking around the Lakes) - with 10hrs of that being moving time. There's a dirt road leading up to the trailhead. It took about an hr for us to slowly drive down it - due to our car being low and all the potholes. We got to the trailhead at 8am got to the first lake at 1pm and back to the car at 9pm. If we hadn't hiked to Jade we would have been back to the car around 7pm. Mile play by play: Mile 1-3 is a walk in the woods with slight ups and downs in the trail. Mile 3.3-5.5 is up up up. I had a hard time in this area of the hike because I overpacked in water. At 5.5 you'll pass a small pond and that when you've reached the meadow. Mile 5.6-6.8 is a walk through beautiful meadows. We saw a harmless little snake and what flowers are leftover from earlier in the summer. Mile 6.9-7.8 is as hard as 3.3-5.5 was Mile 7.9-8.3 Still uphill but not as grueling as the previous mile was. I believe the waterfall we saw was around 7.8-7.9 Mile 8.4-8.5 and is up and down - mostly down the trail leading to the first lake. We found a section of beach around this area and sat to enjoy our lunch. Mile 8.5-8.9is just getting around the lake to the area where you start climbing to jade. Mile 9-9.4 is living breathing hell. Be careful climb the rocks - as many aren't as secure as they seem. I hugged the treeline. Look for a red flags on trees with the trail opens up to the rocky area, then follow the stacks of stones -these are markers and will lead you to the lake . Mile 9.5- 9.9 nice little walk to the jaw-dropping jade lake

This hike was long and hard. I did it yesterday, on Thursday, 09/12/2019. It was a warm and sunny day. I got to the trailhead at 6:40 am and I started the hike at 7:15 am. I got to Marmot Lake around 12 pm and stayed there for about an hour and a half. I left at 1:30 pm and got to Jade Lake around 2:30 pm. I stayed there for an hour. I left at 3:30 pm and got back to my car at 8:30 pm. Getting to Marmot Lake takes some time but isn’t too difficult. It’s about 8.4 miles. There aren’t really any steep sections on the way to Marmot Lake except for this one rocky section at about 7.4 miles in. Marmot Lake is incredibly beautiful. I was on a day hike and ended up spending too much time there relaxing by the water and taking pictures. That’s because getting to Jade Lake from Marmot Lake and back is by far the most difficult part of this hike. It’s roughly 1.4 miles to Jade Lake from the first stop at Marmot Lake. 0.5 miles of this is a very steep section consisting entirely of rocks. There are cairns placed on this section to help guide you to the top, since it’s all rocks. I got lost here because I did not realize this at first. When I got through it I was beat. Jade Lake is worth it though. The light blue gleaming off the lake is mesmerizing. Like Marmot Lake, it is pure beauty. I couldn’t stay very long though since I was beginning to run out of daylight. I spent the last hour/3 miles of my hike back using my headlight to get through complete darkness because by 7:30 pm it was night time. I highly recommend this hike. It’s doable in a day with time to relax at the lakes if you get there very early and keep a good pace.

*You CAN do this as a day trip, but be well rested, eat your breakfast filled w carbs and you have to get up really early to come back home at a reasonable time. My friends and I woke up at 4am and got to the trailhead at 7ish. We took some time sitting and taking pics up at Jade and Marmot so we hit the parking lot back again at 8:30pm got home at 12:20am* - The dirt roads are a HUGE struggle on the way to the trail. Abt an hour drive through its super rocky and a lot of pot holes so pls drive a 4 wheeler and be safe!! my friend brought a two wheeler The Hike 1-4 miles really easy. It’s like a stroll through the woods you hit Hayes Lake at the 4 mile mark ish. It’s a nice spot for a break. The rest of the hike up to the top is fairly easy but it gets really tiring. Especially if you’re carrying heavy equipment. You hit a meadow and it’s a nice straight walk. The way to Marmot is like i said - fairly fine. The way up to Jade is kind of brutal. There’s a rough scramble. Look for rock stacks and red ties as your check points. Jade is absolutely stunning so definitely worth it. Took us an hour and 5 mins to get up there. Conditions/Tips: The bushes are over grown so if you’re doing this w friends (which you should never hike alone lol) keep a little distance. A lot of bugs. Came back home w about 17 bug bites so bring bug spray and lots and lots of water. The hike up to Jade is off trail and a little directional skills is required. You hit a little stroll after the climb tho so that’s nice. If you’re doing this in one day pace your self and be rlly careful. Bring flash lights and let your loved ones know it will be long. We had no signal through the hike and it was kind of a mess trying to get signal and letting our parents know we were safe cuz even after the trail you get no service for the hour on the dirt road and a little bit more till you hit the first town. So pretty and even more prettier than any pictures. So def do it such a rewarding hike :))

What a beautiful hike! Lots of people. I am glad we were able to go before it becomes a permit trail.

I am 65. I did the hike with my daughter and her friend. 5 hours of hiking in and out. We took a break at Marmot lake on the way in to enjoy the beauty and power up for the last mile to Jade Lake. No bugs at Jade Lake. Clear and spectacular night with phenomenal star gazing. The last mile + from Marmot to Jade is a bit grueling, but worth it.

Great hike with a dream like view. It took me 5 hours up and 5 hours down to and from marmot lake. Jade lake is about 1 hour up. The scramble up to Jade wasn't bad but route finding skill is needed. We camped at Marmot and it was crowded.

Trail took us about 4 hours up to Jade, and camped that night and came down the next day. The terrain up wasn’t bad at all. The scramble to jade was cardio challenging. I think the way back was only difficult because we were tired. Over all everything was worth it for the view at jade! Hardly any bugs and was able to avoid wet shoes at all the crossing being as most of it is dried up this late in summer. Two nights is probably the best idea.