Cyber Monday Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Maple Pass Trail

Maple Pass Trail is a 7.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Stehekin, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,257 feet Route Type: Loop

Maple Pass Loop trail is a must do hike in North Cascade Park. This is a loop hike with option of adding 2 miles to include 2 lakes on its way. The trail is a loop you can either start at Lake Ann Trailhead or Rainy Lake Trailhead. It is recommend to go counterclockwise ( Starting Via Lake Ann Trailhead ) It offers stunning beauty all the way till highest point of hike at 6995 Ft "Maple Pass" then you have to descent back to trailhead

Completed this trail in early September. Great weather, seriously stunning views the whole way up. We went counter-clockwise. loved it!

icy

Would not recommend going at this time unless you have snowshoes. Lots of snow at the top. We went almost halfway and the trail was very difficult to walk through so we turned back. Poles and snowshoes helpful and go counterclockwise.

icy

We hiked the Maple Pass trail Saturday (11/09). Started the hike at 12:15 pm. Reached the peak around 03:10 pm. Returned back to parking lot by 05:10 pm. (we did not see even a single person at all during the whole time. ) We did it clockwise and now see why so many people recommend counterclock-wise. (I would still do it clockwise.) You don't see Lake Ann at all while going up clockwise but the first time you see the lake (while on decent) is breath taking. I believe it is the best view of the lake (from the top). We did the hike with microspikes. I would definitely recommend snow shoes and poles. Last mile or so, it was heavy snow (12-15 inches) and we found it hard to walk in some stretches. There were many patches where the trail was not visible at all, for which we heavily relied on the few foot marks that we could locate and mostly on the Map (thanks to Alltrails app). I would strongly recommend keeping any kind of map handy, or else the chances of going off trail are high. While coming down, the snow and ice were consistent so you will definitely need snow shoes/ microspikes. Also be mindful of the time. It started getting dark around 04:45 pm and we had to do last 15-20 min in pitch dark. All in all it was a gorgeous hike. But do carry adequate gear, map and be mindful of time as it gets really dark soon.

icy

Cold and beautiful because of the early snow. Had poles but didn't use them, fine with microspikes.

Went out today - Nov 2 - was a gorgeous day! Had micro spikes and poles which were perfect and necessary. Just posted my pic from the day.

I hiked this trail on Saturday, November 2nd and it was gorgeous!!! I highly recommend you do it tomorrow or this week if you’re reading this. I went counter-clockwise. There was some ice, but nothing that poles and micro-spikes can’t handle with ease. The descent had some soft snow, but it wasn’t a huge issue. I saw around 6 groups total. I hiked from 10-4. I guess I’m a slow hiker (I also take a lot of photos!) Don’t pass this one up right now!!! I don’t think it matters which direction you go in. Oh, and it was a lot warmer than I expected, but bring layers. Also, the path was really easy to follow.

icy

Absolutely gorgeous hike that I would highly recommend. We went on Sunday 10/26, and there was definitely more snow than I was expecting. Fortunately it was all packed down, so snow shoes weren’t required, but I would highly recommend crampons/spikes.

icy

Hiked yesterday (10/27) started at 12:15 and got done about 5:30. ( Spikes, hiking poles and maybe snowshoes) We went counter clockwise and that was perfect. It's a gradual incline and we needed our spikes for the whole hike, it was pretty icy. Once you get up to the top it's very snowy/icy and we brought snowshoes but didnt need them because the trail was packed down from previous snowshoers. Hands down the most beautiful hike I've done yet. It was perfectly sunny but cold. We were hoping for a "foliage" hike but we made do with the snow! There are still a few larch trees up there as well, I posted lots of photos for everyone to see.

I hiked it mid week in October with light snow. It was quiet on the way up (started at sunrise), but insanely busy on the way down. It was crazy beautiful and easy, so I understand the crowds. But, given the dozens of quiet and equally gorgeous trails in the area, I would not recommend it for a weekend or the summer.

really need snowshoes

Easily one of the best hikes I have ever done and I have done some good ones

Did this hike last Monday. Luckily had a sunny day. The views of surrounding mountains were amazing especially with the fall colors. Would definitely do it again.

Gorgeous trail but the snow was up to my knees in some spots and no one else had been out before me so I couldn’t find the trail and had to turn around and go back after about 2.5 miles when I just couldn’t tell and kept slipping down the side. Definitely need spikes and poles for this one right now.

10/17/2019 I love reading reviews and suggestions left by fellow hikers, but this is the second time that I’ve followed advice from a review and made for a horrible hike. I started my hike yesterday counter-clock wise, starting at Lake Ann Trailhead. Don’t! Start the other way via Rainy Pass and go clock-wise. I started my hike with light snow, that turned into a blizzard, wind and zero visibility, only to finally reach the ridge and had to turn around and go all the way back. Snow was up to my hips, could not find the trail markers, and no way to know where to go. Had I started at Rainy Pass, I likely would have been able to complete the loop. I’m excited to come back in the summer to try again. Trail is rocky, roots, muddy, slippery and SNOW! I wouldn’t go - wait until spring!

Look for the Rainy Pass sign as there is no signage off the main road for this trail. Bring spikes if u plan of doing the entire loop (or poles) as there are spots as you go further up the loop. There as a Beautiful meadow about 2 miles up on the right that is A perfect place to stop and rest and has quite a few larches besides breathtaking view on the other side of the meadow. It’s rated as a difficult hike but I found it to be moderate (I hiked with my two teenage children) another thing I really liked about this trail was the different terrain as you make your way around the loop. The entire took us about 3 1/2 to 4 hours but we did stop and talk to other hikers and take pictures and explore that meadow

My new favorite hike! Crystal clear blue skies and absolutely stunning, jaw dropping views! A must do! Will be back in the spring when the heather is blooming!