Learn more

Maple Pass Trail is a 9.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Stehekin, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 9.8 mi Elevation gain 2,257 ft Route type Loop

Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

This is a loop hike with option of adding 2 miles to include 2 lakes on its way. The trail is a loop you can either start at Lake Ann Trailhead or Rainy Lake Trailhead. It is recommend to go counterclockwise (starting at Lake Ann Trailhead). It offers stunning beauty all the way till highest point of hike at 6995 ft "Maple Pass" then you have to descend back to trailhead.

NW forrest pass required

Methow Valley Ranger District: (509) 996-4003

Take Highway 20 past Marblemount, to Rainy Pass, turn right into parking lot of Rainy Pass picnic area. Northwest Forest Pass required. Trailhead is on the left, at beginning of lot. Take the trail to Lake Ann, #740.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (1044)
Photos (1498)
Recordings (696)
Completed (1908)
Aliona Maquet
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 14, 2020
HikingGreat!

The hike exceeded our expectations. This is a must do in the cascades. We completed the hike in 3.5 hours. Recommend starting counter-clockwise; you’ll get the best views during the ascent. Stunning stunning stunning

Kayla Figueroa
HikingGreat!

This is a must do hike in the North Cascades! We arrived around 9:15 and there was still quite a bit of parking, but by the time we got down about four hours later parking was totally full. We went counterclockwise per the recommendation of other reviewers and we are glad we did, however, the way down is very steep and kind of a pain, so being pokes if your knees get bothered easily. The wildflowers through the pass are beautiful and the views are spectacular! We didn’t really have trouble with mosquitos or flies as we brought ample bug spray, but we did see LOTS and I mean LOTS of bumblebees, so if you’re allergic then keep that in mind.

Brooks Nevrly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 12, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

This trail is one of the best in the North Cascades. The views from the top are truly stunning. If you do the full loop, go counterclockwise/right at the start of the trail as it is a gradual uphill. If you want to see the best parts quicker, go the opposite way and then back down without doing the loop. Saved two miles and got to see everything. Bring a mask as the trails are crowded!

View Brooks's Recording
Maaike Doyer
Hiking

I only recorded 8 miles. It is absolutely a stunning hike, without tok much of an effort! We did a really hard hike yesterday so our legs needed some rest. This was perfect. And the 360 views are amazing. I especially liked that already very fast you are out of the forest and you immediately have amazing views.

View Maaike's Recording
Amanda Turner
HikingGreat!Snow

Hiked Friday 8/7 - started at 8am and there was ample parking. We didn’t do the lake loop and the hike was 7.2, total of 4 hours. We went counter clockwise! The views on the way up were constantly jaw dropping. Beautiful wild flowers and views of the surround mountains. About 4 miles up as coming down is all switchbacks and a little shorter. We used one trekking pole each and were fine. Gorgeous views up top, definitely my favorite in north cascades!

Thais Monteiro
HikingBugsGreat!

A must go trail!!! One of the best trails, the views is really impressive. It is a loop, so go counter clockwise, that it will be easier and you can enjoy the views while you are going up.

Sai Giridhar Tata
HikingGreat!

This was my first time on this trail. The journey from Seattle of approx 3 hours leading up to the trailhead is absolutely amazing. I reached the trail parking lot at around 10:30 AM and started the hike around 10:40 AM. Reached the top around 1 pm. Took multiple stops to clicks photographs and just admire the beauty that the mountains has to offer. Highly recommend going counter clockwise from Rainy Lake Trailhead parking lot. At approx. 2.4 mile mark, you first get to see Lake Ann. Then from there till 4.2 miles we gain elevation and the view of the lake Ann keeps on getting prettier. Once at the top, highly recommend doing the rock climbing to go a little bit to the top, to get the 360 degree view of cascade mountains and Mt Baker. The rock climb is a little hard but its just 10-15 mins. So just power through it and definitely go and do it. By the time I started parking lot was almost full. So recommend starting a bit early to get head start freely. But it wasn’t bad for me. Almost everyone was wearing face mask so that felt good. A lot of mosquitos and insects. Please bring bug spray or ointment to apply on your skin. They bite hard. Overall, an amazing trip. Will come again. Until then, Adios!!

Emily Czerwonka
HikingGreat!

Did the beauty again today! Trail was in great condition. We went counter clockwise. Did anyone see someone scrape up my friends Orange VW SUV in the parking lot between 9:30. and 2pm? If so please let us know, not cool. Scrapes are on the back passenger corner of the car. Also we saw a bear! Yay!

Austin Peter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 11, 2020
HikingGreat!

Always amazed with this hike, a few small snow patches near the top but you can walk around them if you want to. Went counter clockwise this time which was easier and had more of a view on the way to the top. I still prefer the clockwise route because it allows you to enjoy the views on the way down.

Sai Giridhar Tata
Scenic drivingGreat!
View Sai Giridhar's Recording
Kollyn Kaiser
HikingBugsGreat!

What a beautiful hike! Pet friendly. Beautiful views but do yourself a favor and go COUNTER CLOCKWISE! Don’t make the mistake of going the other way!! (So if you’re standing behind where the map is there is 3 lanes and go to the one in the middle!) one of my favorite WA hikes I’ve done! The wild flowers are amazing but bring bug spray!

Niriha Kadambi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2020
HikingBugsRocky

This has the best ROI for effort. The downward decent is a killer but the views are spectacular

kkf NC
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 10, 2020
Hiking

There were ~10 vehicles in the Rainy Pass parking lot when i arrived (08/10/2020 MON ~08:15). After i completed the Heather - Maple Trail loop, when i left the parking lot, i noticed ~10 vehicles parked along the slip road (though there were ~5 spots available in the parking lot). The weather was nice cool ~60_s when i started my hike and it was ~mid_80_s when i got back to the trailhead. My guess is that i encountered ~50 people during the ~4+ hours on the trail - which i feel ain't too "crowded" esp cos everyone were nice and friendly. i did the Loop Counter-Clockwise. And i got bitten by the mosquitos only during the ascending (Trailhead to Maple Pass) and none during my descend. Anyway, the lovely mountains, lakes and forests are most enjoyable. And i am amazed by the incredible hiker-couple who "backpacked" their infants - they are beautiful!

View kkf's Recording
Kristi Guyette
Hiking

Awesome trail!!! Amazing views. Makes me feel so thankful to be from the PNW! This beginner hiker got her booty kicked going up, but 100% worth it! The views are spectacular!!

Joshua Latshaw
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
HikingGreat!

Wow!! This is an incredible hike. We went Saturday 8/8, arrived around noon the lot was full but there’s so much parking along the side of 20 it’s hard to imagine parking every being an issue, worst case you are add half mile on either end. We went left/clockwise and we were happy with that. It seems like at least 3/4 maybe >90% of people were going counter clockwise to start. We preferred the steep climb up and gentle climb down. Going left first we climbed through the forest on the switchbacks and maybe 1.5 miles in we emerged from the trees and the incredible views started. First rainy lake and the pass heading towards Mazama/Winthrop off to the east then as you continue ascending it keeps getting more beautiful. Pretty soon you are up in a flower covered meadow with the cascades peaks in every direction. A few switchbacks later you get up to the pass and every where you look is alpine wilderness. This is when the views are really at there best, looking down over two lakes and peaks in every direction. Going down you maintain the spectacular views for 2-2.5 miles of easy decline, after which the last two miles is an easy cruise through the bushes and trees as you overlook the west side of the lake. This is worth either staying out in the area or doing a long day trip from Seattle.

Hosung Song
View Hosung's Recording
Terna V.
Anthony Carrasco
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020
HikingBugsGreat!

We did this hike 3 days ago, on Wednesday the 5th of August. Absolutely stunning hike. No one in the recent reviews had mentioned bugs so we didn't bring bug spray, but I highly recommend it. I now have 26 bites that I have counted. We did it counterclockwise and decided that next time we get to the top point we are going back down the same way we got up, because going down from the top point towards Rainy Lake was really steep and offered no additional views from the one we had seen the entire trail. It probably will make the trail a tad longer to return back via the longer route up from Lake Ann side, but that side has way superior views and is more spread out for the incline so going down won't be as tedious.

Jessica Strombeck
Hiking

My knees are throbbing and my sciatic nerve is warning me that things are about to get nasty, but oh my gosh...totally worth it! One cool feature of this hike in August is the sound the bees make getting drunk on the heather and the myriad of other flowers. Very neat to hear and see so many of these vital creatures. The trail itself was tough for a mildly out-of-shape female such as myself, but 100% worth it. Definitely don’t go without hydrating first. I drank about 75 ounces of water the day before, and then another 60 oz on the 3.5 hour drive up. It made for some unexpected stops on the way, but it was totally worth it as I carried less water and basically only needed sips on the actual hike. Beware of this hike if you have a deathly fear of heights or poor balance...there are some steep spots. I arrived at the lot at 9:15 a.m. on a Saturday and it was full, so keep that in mind. Also, I took one hiking pole and it was very helpful...unwieldy as they are, I will bring along two next time.

View Jessica's Recording
devyn sanchez
HikingBugsFeeGreat!

Hiked on Friday 8/7. Arrived closer to 845am and parking wasn’t bad (was insane when I left around 1). The views going counterclockwise on the trail are amazing, and easy to get Lake Ann out of the way first. If you took a long drive to this trail, I’d recommend stopping at Lake Ann. I personally didn’t think it as anything amazing to view from that level but I was also anxious to start the true elevation gain! It wasn’t very difficult going counterclockwise either, it was a nice gradual incline and didn’t get tough until mile 4-5. I was able to complete this trail in a little under 4 hours with a stop to eat food and a couple of water breaks for my dog and of course to take pictures! Every time you think you saw the best view, you keep climbing and realize the views just keep getting better and better. Poles would’ve been a nice to have but truly not necessary. Going counterclockwise was a little hard on the knees coming down but again, all worth it. As reference - when I say this trail wasn’t incredibly difficult, I road and trail run and kept a conversation pace.

Amy Kalinsky
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2020
HikingGreat!

We went counterclockwise around the trail and are SO glad we did! Although the climb up to the top was longer, it was beautiful the entire way and the peak was a beautiful reveal. Loved all the different terrain you see - dense forests, mountain meadows with lots of wildflowers, rocky peaks with a bit of snow leftover. Reminded me of scenery from Snow White.

Teresa Brunstad
Hiking

Hiked on August 7th With my girlfriends. All different skill level. Very doable! I would recommend going up on the left side I’m coming down the right from the trail head. It will be steeper but shorter and downhill is much easier on your knees! Enjoy!

View Teresa's Recording