Maple Pass Trail

Maple Pass Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mazama, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Maple Pass Loop trail is a must do hike in North Cascade Park. This is a loop hike with option of adding 2 miles to include 2 lakes on its way. The trail is a loop you can either start at Lake Ann Trailhead or Rainy Lake Trailhead. It is recommend to go counterclockwise ( Starting Via Lake Ann Trailhead ) It offers stunning beauty all the way till highest point of hike at 6995 Ft "Maple Pass" then you have to descent back to trailhead

bad knees(like me)? -> walk it clockwise...and use poles.
great knees? -> walk it, run it, etc; direction irrelevant.
_________
I grew up taking my family vacations out in this area. my parents would take my brother and I to lake ann every year. We would go fishing and visit with campers and swim, etc. I have many fond memories of this place. I especially remember how I could hear grown ups up on the ridge talking as they went on an "adult hike." this year, my husband and I spent a week out in the cascades and I was so excited to not only share my memories with him but to walk maple pass. as we were walking to the trailhead, a hornet decided to sting me (jerk) and it hurt like hell. I was also recovering from an ear infection and head cold from 3 days earlier. I would not be deterred...onward in a clockwise fashion we went. at 38 I have horrible knees (sx on my right and broke my "good" knee, the left one, 2 years ago). I am glad we got the steep stuff out of the way going up. if not for saving my knees, but for the insane indescribable monumental breathtaking views. the most steep parts were in the treeline. once you've cleared that, put on your hat and sunscreen (we hiked on September 1st) and stay hydrated. We ate some of the best huckleberries walking the last 4 switchbacks to the top. We had a great lunch and marvelled at the panoramic beauty. after a 30 min lunch we headed down and around lake ann not before getting a peekaboo view of Lewis lake. the descent going clockwise was so nice and kept the swelling and pain to barely noticeable. We made great time on both the ascent and descent. lake ann has changed since I was a kid. it's grown in around most of it and there no camping allowed. my only (minor) gripe is to the public at large: read all trails or wta or the parks info on a trail before going on a hike so you know what your getting into. We passed quite a few people in flat soled tennis shoes, no hats and minimal water and quite a few asked us how much longer to the top (green trails are GREAT maps sold at REI...when the last lady we saw whined at me asking how much further, I pulled out my map to show her location and she was stunned saying, oh my, you have a map and everything wow). Being ill prepared and complaining about it isn't fun, for anyone.

Most beautiful hike I've done yet.

Views are stunning! It was great but you need spikes and poles, gets slippery on the way down.
We did counter clockwise, should have done another way around.

By far my favorite hike I've done. Beautiful views, I began to the right of the loop, my poles definitely came in handy on the way down. Happy hiking!

Hiked this trail with our yellow lab and had a great time. We got to the trailhead around 11:30 am and went clockwise (wanted to avoid a slippery, steep descent)—the trip was exactly four hours roundtrip, with lots of stops along the way. Wear plenty of layers, and come prepared for the snow. We had our yak tracks on and it saved us from a ton of tumbles.

Hiked Sunday Oct. 8th between 2:00pm and 7:30pm ish; overnight snow pack made some parts very slippery, crampons/trekking poles would have helped. So beautiful though! The butt bruises were worth the views

I combined this with Lake Ann and Rainy Lake as well to make a nice day hike. Spectacular views from Maple Pass looking down into the mountain "bowl" where the lake nestles at the bottom. Very steep up to the Pass, and obviously no trees to buffer the wind. Trail finding is easy, plenty of shade in the beginning of the trail and a great place to eat lunch at Lake Ann. Bring plenty of water and layered clothing for the wind at the top. Great trail for those who aren't new to hiking!

Incredible hike! Left at 2:30pm and finished at around 6:15pm right at dusk. There were 4 of us and a dog, which slowed us down a little bit. We went to the left at the beginning of the trail which means we did the sharp incline as the beginning of the trip. So beautiful!

Very beautiful!!!! Like others have said going counterclockwise is easier, we are glad we did! Elevation change meant snow at the top, as long as we kept moving we were warm enough though!

Bucket list hike - spectacular.

Nice trail, a bit of snow at top. Overall good.
Many animals on the way.

Awesome views and worth the effort. We had snow at top and did see a massive bear (at a good distance). A top rated hike - don't skip it. We logged it just over 7 miles.

Went a few days ago. Saw two bears. One was a brownish black bear that people thought was a grizzly bear.

Beautiful hike. The more challenging end of "moderate" Hiked it counter clock wise. The descent is hard on the knees. Fall colors are starting to show.

Could only hike in about 2.5 miles counterclockwise on 9/14/17 because we saw a Grizzly that would not get off of the trail after about 20 minutes. Still a beautiful hike.

Amazing views all the way up. Carry bear spray and make noise!!! Saw a black bear and a grizzly! Also saw a marmot. Would recommend going counterclockwise.

Best hike in Northern Cascades area

Spectacular views from the top ridge of this hike. Having done some 'moderate' hikes since Maple Pass, I would say this hike is one the harder end of the spectrum. So worth it!

Gorgeous scenery. We hiked clockwise, would have chosen counter for better views next time, even though this way was easier on the knees down. Not much water on the trail at all this day in early Sept. Went swimming in Ann Lake, which was amazing. No wildlife spotted, but others saw bears in the earlier morning

Dånk