Maple Pass Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Gilbert, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Maple Pass Loop trail is a must do hike in North Cascade Park. This is a loop hike with option of adding 2 miles to include 2 lakes on its way. The trail is a loop you can either start at Lake Ann Trailhead or Rainy Lake Trailhead. It is recommend to go counterclockwise ( Starting Via Lake Ann Trailhead ) It offers stunning beauty all the way till highest point of hike at 6995 Ft "Maple Pass" then you have to descent back to trailhead

So beautiful especially when the larch trees are in all their autumn glory. I hiked this 10/24 and the larches were in full effect. I hiked counterclockwise and I was very happy with the decision. It was a busy trail even on a Wednesday so I would suggest off peak times if possible.

I have hiked this trail twice before but hiked it again today on November 3rd. I went 3.5 miles and then turned back, but could have gone further given the snow. It was snowing but very lightly. People I passed said you could go further than I went—one said just one grade away from the pass. Don’t let the snow stop you on this one even if you can’t do the full loop. You can still do quite a bit and it’s still beautiful!

Note: I always go counter-clockwise.

Also, there were less than 10 groups hiking today.

I am a beginner and it was my second hike. I went there on Saturday around 12pm and returned at 7:15pm. It was hard for me but I enjoyed a lot. I would suggest not to add 0.7 mile for Ann lake because there is nothing to see, rather you will get nice view form the top.

If you are beginner then it’s really hard for you, as per my experience.

This trail is incredibly beautiful, even when it’s foggy. We didn’t have much visibility due to the weather, but it was so gorgeous with the fog and fall colors. Go before the road closes for winter, but beware of ice. We got to see the larches, and the whole trail was lovely.

Absolutely beautiful! We hiked this trail on October 16, 2018. The larch trees along with the fall colors had us using the words beautiful, amazing, breathtaking several times. We went clockwise (steeper on the way up) this made for a much easier time on the knees for the trip down. We plan to make another trip next spring!

Gorgeous fall hike with Larches just past their prime. The beauty of the N. Cascades was marred only by the numbers of fellow day hikers.

October 6, 2018: Enjoyed the larches and views with the 1,000 other hikers (not exaggerating). We went the counter-clockwise gradual ascent route and there were some snow covered sections of trail just before the pass, but nothing worth digging the micro spikes out from the bottom of the bag.

Very pretty in the fall, but quite crowded, even during the week.

My favorite hike by far. We hiked it yesterday, 10/14/18 and couldn't have asked for a better day. We started at noon and we hiked it clockwise. Not a lot of people hike it that way, I guess. We enjoyed this trail a lot! Beautiful sceneries everywhere you look! Will definitely do this hike again. Maybe be hike it counterclockwise next time.

This was an amazing weekend, beautiful weather! My husband, 3 dogs and I had a marvelous time. I'm sooo glad we did this! I think it is a must do.

Well worth the trip. Wonderful views around every corner.

One of the top hikes I've ever done! In late September, the fall colors were mesmerizing and there was no ice on the trail. We took a counterclockwise loop and were treated to amazing views almost the whole way! On the advice of a ranger, we did not go to Lake Anne because the views are more enclosed. We did take the side trip to Rainy Lake to have lunch on a bench just before heading back to the car and it was beautiful. The total hike (8.4 mi) took us about 3:40.

Probably the most beautiful hikes ever.
Autumn colours magnificent with the white paint of fresh snow thickening during the accent . Ice was a problem at times especially on the more exposed cliff track . Always enquire when micro spikes might be needed for safety and knee relief.
Not too taxing physically, a good burn taking 4 to 5 hours return , anti clockwise would be my advice .
This place has all the variable beauty nature can provide.

September 29, 2108. What an amazing hike. I went up clockwise to avoid the steep downhill grade on my knees. From the time I parked, to using the restroom, to arriving back at my car, I hiked 9.3 miles. I met a great trail buddy at the top from Seattle named Sean. We came across a bear on the trail downhill. Had our bear spray handy but didn’t need to use it. I wished I had a hat and gloves for the top of the trail as it was quite breezy and cold. Breathtaking views from both sides of the loop. Fall colors were brilliant. I would definitely hike this trail again next fall.

Absolutely beautiful hike!! Went yesterday.. snowed the entire time. Didn’t have any issues until about a half mile from the top of the loop. I’d recommend micro-spikes for sure. Other than the snow, the trail was pretty damp and muddy. Going counter clockwise was great for my bad knees! I’d do it all again in a heartbeat!

09/29/2018
We went clockwise. As a beginner hiker, I found it strenuous to climb to the peak. Return was easy. Great views of sorrounding peaks, fall colours and the lakes(Rainy and Ann). The descent felt easy although long. Carry layers and gloves.

Spotted two playful black bears from long distance during the start of descent.

Great views. The upper part of the trail can get very windy.

A great hike with wonderful views all around. The fall colors are spectacular right now. We hiked on a somewhat rainy day which was ok since we were prepared for the weather. This is definitely a strong moderate hike. My GPS clocked the hike a 7.4 miles roundtrip and vertical elevation gain around 2150 ft.

We took peoples advice and hiked counter clockwise which made for a longer more gradual climb and steeper descent on the loop.

A must-do hike for your bucket list.

Absolutely fantastic views!

Truly the hike of a lifetime! The type of trail that gets more challenging and more majestic with every mile. I think about this afternoon regularly and can't wait to come back some day. Not to be missed!

We hiked this going clockwise because we missed the counter-clockwise trailhead. Still a very scenic hike! I have a knee that does not do well on long steep downhill hikes, so taking the clockwise direction actually helped because the east side (Lake Rainy side) has steeper grades in sections. The halfway point and second half of the hike (west side of Lake Anne) is the most scenic. Beautiful! If you do this hike clockwise, you will find yourself glancing backward occasionally for the views on the second half.

We went counterclockwise by accident, not having read any reviews other than talking to locals. I was feeling bad for those we met coming up who were going clockwise, because the trail up going that way is gnarly. Steps up of 20-25 inches. Narrow, NO view, dusty. relentless upward like climbing a ladder sometimes. Going down the gnarly sections, one can simply hop down, but I can't hop up! Clockwise this is probably a "hard" trail and gets two stars. Going the right way, one gets constant views for the effort. It is sunny for the first 60% of the trail going the "correct" way, counterclockwise. Take water, because Lake Anne is it in the fall. There is probably more water in the midsummer and snow thru June or later. For those not familiar with the Cascades, thinking that a 5000 ft pass is wimpy, better think again. They get serious snow up here and winter at 7000 feet in the north Cascades is like winter at 11000 feet in the Rockies. Prepare to spend 6 hours on the trail. It's almost the perfect day hike. We are from Nevada, and used to being the only ones on the trail. This trail seemed crowded, probably passed 15 groups going the other way, no idea how many people going the same way as we were.

Days off from work are the best days to explore new places, so six of my friends, my dog and I set out for Maple Pass from Seattle yesterday. Some of us had never done a hike in WA and some of hike only once or twice a year so this one KICKED OUR BUTT by the time we got to the top but wow, it is the most beautiful hike I've ever done in WA and I've done quite a few of the popular "must see" hikes. Like other people have said, the views make it worth it on the way up, counterclockwise. The way down seemed long for those of us with bad knees but I don't think I would have made it up if we went clockwise. We also got a bit lost on the way down once the paved road started we went towards Rainy Lake but it turns out we were supposed to follow the paved road to the left coming off of the trail to get back to the parking lot. Luckily there were quite a few people to ask for directions help. The whole thing took us 4.5 hours and we had 4-5 short breaks along the trail with lunch at the top. Definitely will do this one again! It's my new favorite!

I did this hike with two of my gf’s and my dog and had an amazing time! We went counter-clockwise around the loop and did the quick there-and-back trail to the Lake Anne. We are glad we went as the lake was clean, sparkly and gorgeous! The views were stunning all the way around the loop. There were some narrow parts of the trail with steep drop-offs, so we were mindful of our footing. On the way down the mountain one of my friend’s knees were hurting as it was very steep. Our Fitbit tracked our mileage at 10.5 miles, a bit further than this sight said (including our quick trip to the lake). We stopped a couple times for lunch and water, but we spent a total of about 5 hours on the trail. We have done many PNW hikes and this one is now one of our favorites! We would all highly recommend it.

Hiked August 1, 2018, Counterclockwise

My boyfriend and I were at first hesitant to do this hike because we aren't in the best of shape and usually aim for easier ~3 mile hikes. But on a recommendation, we decided to test our limits.

It was one of the most scenic hikes we have been on and was easier than expected! You get the most beautiful views of valleys, lakes, flowers, distant mountains, and maybe a marmot or two.

We started the loop from the right which was a gradual uphill for most of the way up. Note that the downhill going in this direction is pretty steep and our knees were hurting by the end of the hike, but for us we prefer that over steep uphill and gradual downhill. Started the hike on a Wed at 9:30am and not a lot of people on the trail. Took us about 4.5 hours total with a lunch break and lots of picture taking.

Overall, was fairly easy hike with the perfect amount of challenge for us, who aren't super active. Views were SO stunning and well worth the effort.

Pretty easy hike with very nice views

Did the loop counterclockwise. Took us just under 5 1/2 hours. This hike was hard in my opinion. Glad we went counterclockwise because it was BEAUTIFUL on the way up and more dusty and exposed on the way down, plus we were so tired we could not have properly enjoyed the beautiful scenery. I think it would be fun to go back counterclockwise again and go to the top then turn around and go back down and go to Lake Ann. No bugs, beautiful and well maintained trail and trailhead! Not sure the mileage is accurate here... we showed closer to 8 miles.

I did this trail on July 23, 2018 counterclockwise. This trail has some dramatic scenery of 2 pristine lakes, wildflowers, and snow capped peaks. Personally one of the most beautiful and the hardest hike I’ve ever done. I would consider it on the hard side for a moderate hiker although in honesty I had done the Blue Lake trail right before this so I was already starting from a tired state. I had also hiked just to lake Ann and then came back to do the full loop (you have to backtrack). My advice would be have hiking poles, start early and take your time. I finished the round trip counterclockwise in about 4 hours with a very short break at the top. I ended up hurting my knee (in a lot of pain on the way down) and couldn’t hike another trail for a few days. I think I made the mistake of starting late so I rushed coming down. By the way, the blue lake trail is probably my favorite ever and it’s easier than this one. It’s not too far from this one either.

I've been here twice. Last year, in the first week of August, the wild flowers were peaking. This year in the 2nd week of August, they were still gorgeous and lovely. I prefer the clockwise route to get the hard elevation out of the way in the shade and fast, so that the rest is more enjoyable. I don't like downhill on my knees. Starting with the counter clockwise route is a longer more gradual ascent, but also more exposed in the sun. This latter area is dazzling with flowers and I prefer to take my time here at the end. Enjoy quite a beautiful hike.

A spectacular trail that is easy enough for most hikers. Moderare altitude gains with no scrambles. We went counterclockwise and were not disappointed. There is a new vista at every turn and they are all fantastic. A little buggy near Ann Lake and in the trees but otherwise perfect. Well worth the trip and the effort!