Mailbox Peak Trail Loop

Mailbox Peak Trail Loop is a 7.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

From Seattle, east on I-90 to exit 34. Turn left onto 468th Ave and travel 0.4 miles. Turn right onto Middle Fork Road. The road should split and rejoin after 2.1 miles, travel 0.3 more miles and look for roads on your right. The pavement ends at a Y where a gate is. Drive up through the gate about 500 ft, and you'll see a new parking lot. Take the blue gated gravel road (walk) 0.4 mi, trailhead is on the left and is well marked. Note: the parking lot gate gets closed at 9 PM daily.

chose to take new trail up and back. beautifully shaded until the exposed rocks and grueling last 1/2 mile. the view at the top was stunning and worth the climb. be prepared with plenty of water and food to fuel yourself for a long uphill trek. met some ladies who chose the old trail up and got lost. clocked the hike longer than WTA says, but fitness trackers are not a perfect science

kicked my butt and then some. but worth it.

Worth the hike for the incredible views, great training mountain for packing up weight!

We did the old trail up and down this morning! Luckily we got there early (around 8am) so there was still some cloud coverage on the way up and we didn't get too hot.

The old trail is brutal, we and many other groups took frequent stops since it is very steep the entire 2.5 miles. It was probably one of my top three hardest hikes due to the sharp incline the whole time.

The old trail is pretty well marked until the last part of the trees where the ground gets soft, luckily there are trail markers at each switchback corner that guide you up. Once you get through the trees (probably about 2.2 miles of the hike) it is a very quick and fun hike up through rocks and boulders and wild flowers.

The top is breath taking, especially on a clear day, even though pretty crowded. It took us about 2.5 hours to get up and a little under 2 hours down. It is so steep climbing down my legs were wrecked, hiking poles would have really helped.

Oh and don't forget a letter to put in the mailbox!!

I was visiting a friend of mine in Seattle and he recommended this to me since it's only about a thirty minute drive from downtown.

The 'hard' designation on All Trails varies a lot. Compared to what's around it—and particularly in comparison to the new path—this is fairly strenuous, maybe at the end of the moderate spectrum.

I took the old trail up. Based on the reviews, I was expecting this to be in more disrepair, but I didn't have much difficulty finding the route. The first mile or so is absent of the old trail markers, but you'll see a lot trees that have clearly been cut to the stump on the trail. About a half a mile where the old trail joins with the new is when the path becomes a bit more ambiguous, but this is when you see a greater frequency of the old trail markers. The old trail joins with the most difficult half mile of the new trail to reach the summit.

I went back down the new trail and agree it starts to feel a bit long in the last mile or so. Car to summit and back to my car took me a little over three hours. You'll find that, despite the elevation gain, the length of the descent makes the time on the trail fairly equal in terms of ascent / descent.

Pretty nice day-hike overall. I didn't see any evidence of bears, but had spray with me just in case.

Beautiful! As with most North Bend hikes, I think it's better to get up early and skip the heat and the people.

OMG! This the toughest hike I ever did. It was soo beautiful on the top. It took me and my friend 6.5 hours total including rest.