Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Mailbox Peak Trail Loop is a 8.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Mailbox Peak loop is a challenging hike in the North Bend area that combines the Old Trail with the New Trail created by the Department of Natural Resources. The Old Trail is very challenging with sharp inclines all the way up through forest. The trail was easy to follow until about 3000ft where it gets covered by falling pines and leaves. Luckily the white diamond trail markers are well placed and easy to follow. Once the Old Trail meets the New Trail it's pretty straight forward from there although still very steep and challenging. Once you reach the boulder field the rest of the trail is quite exposed so dress accordingly and be prepared. It is a very quick and fun hike up through rocks and boulders and wild flowers. The top is breath taking, especially on a clear day, with views of Mount Rainier and the Middle Fork Valley below. To return, take the New Mailbox Peak Trail down back to the parking area. The parking lot gate gets closed at 9 PM daily and you must have a Discover Pass to park. Check out the tips section for more great info!

slushy and slippery snow on new trail..microspikes and hiking poles are a must

Fairly soft snow. Was slushy at places in the beginning.

Was kneedeep off trail.

Parking filling up by 7:30 on a Saturday. Main lot still closed, overflow parking areas open.

You'll need/want microspikes and poles. Would not recommend hiking without. Did not spike up until about 0.6 mi in due to bare patches. Rest of trail is completely snowed over. Only one short section of fluffy snow, almost everything is packed down.

Snow footpath is quite uneven and potholed with foot prints for most of the trail, making it a little slower going than anticipated.

Crusty hardpacked snow to start and gradually got to powdery snow...knee deep towards top. Spikes and poles very useful. gorgeous day, nice hike

Trail was in great snowy condition. Snow was packed and crunchy on-trail and about ankle to knee deep off-trail. I was able to make it up and back down in just under 3 hours. Summit was cold and windy as expected. Gear: Hoka SpeedGoat 2, Salmon 5L pack (first-aid and food), and micro spikes. Great hike and highly recommended.

This is one of the best hikes I’ve ever done! Very picturesque once you get to the top, and the trail is pretty challenging. It’s a good idea to bring a lunch once you get up to the top, you can eat and look at the view.

I DID IT!!! First "hard" trail. First mountain climbed. It was definitely above my fitness level but I DID IT!!!

The trail was completely snow covered. I did the new trail on the way up and was find with microspikes while in the trees. Once you get to the talus rocks, it got MUCH windier and much colder as there was no more tree cover. After the first batch of rocks, poles would have been a life saver as it was pretty difficult to traverse the loose snow without them. Just before getting to the top, I started to question whether it was a good idea for me to keep going. Then more rocks appeared and the mailbox was visible so I powered through. The peak was very windy, very cold, and it began to snow so I didn't stay too long.

The way down was scary at first without poles but after a bit it became clear that it was going to be doable. Took the old trail down to save time. It was a bit rough on the knees as it was much more steep and straight down than the new trail. There were spots that you could skid down and spots you could jog for long portions.

3 hours to get up. 1 hour to get down. I DID IT!!! GREAT EXPERIENCE!!! And a big thank you to everybody else on the trail for the motivation to keep going.

A couple tips. DEFINITELY want to have poles. Bring an insulated water bottle as my water began to freeze once I got to the top. Even with some cloud cover, the views at the top were stunning.

Did this a week ago — Obviously one of the best trials in WA state. We went up the Old trail and down the New trail. The old trail is much steeper so we didn’t want that on the downhill. At this time of year, you will want spikes on your shoes for the top to get up any ice patches. We didn’t have spikes, but we were agile and ready to slip so it’s up to you :) you might end up on your hands and knees if you don’t have poles or spikes. Also, this took us about 7 hours total round trip (5.5 hours active). Do not underestimate the top - it is a second hike on its own. Once you see the rock you have another hour to get up to the top. Make sure you have a flashlight in case you are still on the mountain at dark. Worth every second!!!

Tough hike but well worth it. Bring plenty of water.

In terms of day hikes, this one is was tough. Bring water

Did the old trail up and new trail down on Friday 12/07. This past week the weather was amazing so the hike was great. Started hitting light snow about 3,400 feet which increased with elevation.
Was all packed down though some parts were a little icy. I went without spikes or poles which would have been nice but not a necessity yet. The old trail up was definitely a challenge. I made it to the mailbox in 1:50 so I was hauling. The way down on the new trail took about 2:25 as I was taking my time but could definitely be done faster. Very rewarding hike!!

Very challenging hike. There's other more beautiful hikes in the area, but the workout is worth it for this one.

Night time hiking trying to break mountaineering boots in. Not a good idea I advise everyone not to try but I did it anyways. This is not my only time going up to check the mail. For as close as a fun hike it is it’s wonderful for conditioning! Old trail up and down this time. The new trail down is about the same time as the old if you do some ruining.

This one has been on my list and we couldn’t have had a more beautiful day for it (11/18/18). Hiked the new trail up and back down, I don’t think my knees could have taken the old trail from what I hear. Pretty brutal last 1/2 mike until you reach the Peak but no question, worth it all! Gorgeous views of the PNW.

We did this hike on Mothers Day. We took the old trail up & new trail down..wear proper shoes for the down hill. Amazing accomplishment....hardest
one for me so far

Definitely a workout! Did this hike on Monday (11/13) and it was relatively busy at the top from it being a holiday. My phone recorded round trip about 12 miles, but I’m not sure how accurate this is. The last 0.5 miles are a grind but the view from the top is worth it. Watch for ice patches, poles are a good idea. When we hiked a group of hockey players were taking up a fire hydrant, look for it at the top!!

Great Hike.

10/28/18 Rainy day for a hike but great none the less! We took the new trail both ways. It was longer than the 8.4 mile loop from all trails. Our phone apps all said 13.1 miles, but who knows. It was steady uphill climb, but totally doable. We took breaks for water and snacks. When we got to the rock field toward the top the temperature dropped and the wind picked up. Right near the summit we had sideways rain/snow mix. It was a little scary at times since we were out in the open. While it was foggy and cloudy and rainy most of the rest of the time, it was a great hike! We are planning on going in the early summer again to see all the views.

The new trail is pretty straight up, with no straightaways. I was basically bear crawling up half of it. Definitely felt it the next two days after completing it, but it was well worth the views :).

Did this hike yesterday (Oct. 21). We took the old trail up and new trail down to save our knees. It was a perfect cloudless Sunday for this hike. There are parts on the old trail where it is a little hard to navigate, nothing to where you cant find the trail again though. It was definitely more steep than the new trail, but if im being honest i wish i would have taken the old trail up and down. The new trail is a bit longer than the old trail but not as steep. Plenty of people on this trail as well. Both on the old and new trail. Also, great veiws at the top. The workout is worth it.

Did this hike in August, it’s a nice hike however you don’t have views till you literally reach the top. The rock scrimmage wasn’t bad, it was the loose dirt after the scrimmage for .60 miles that was a tad scary.

It took us 2hr 45 min up, we cruised up averaged 24 minutes it is steep and consistent up, but I don’t think this hike was extreme. Its hard at the top but not a hard hike.

The top was full of bugs around the mailbox, it was gross, I think someone put food inside.

I would do this hike again just for the view at the top.

October 13, 2018. Hiked up the old trail and down the new trail to try and save my knees. The 4,000 elevation gain was great for getting the heart rate up which I love. The 360° view at the top was beautiful. I could see Mt. Rainier, Mt. Baker, and Glacier Peak. Lots of people at the top. Met a friend down at the parking lot and hiked the whole way with him. Even went on an extra adventure from Mailbox Peak to Dirty Box Peak. Today was beautiful with blue skies and a high of 63°. Didn’t need more than a t-shirt...and extra deodorant ;) Enjoy!

Had a great trip up the old trail, over to Dirty Box Peak (just for fun), and back down the new trail. Weather couldn't have been more perfect and made a new hiking friend along the way. Views were awesome today!!

Went up the Old trail and down the new trail. Be warned, the old trail is VERY difficult and slippery when wet. The views from the top are OK.

Freaking awesome hike! It was pretty overcast the day I went and it’s crazy going through the clouds at the top. A little scary to be honest bc the fog is so thick that if you got off the rock path you could be lost forever..but worth the pic at the top :)

Hiked the trail Saturday morning — old trail on the way up and new on the way down. Brought our dog with us and he met many a furry friend on the way up (and down). All of us, dog included, were tuckered out by the time we got to the top. Our ascent was lightly trafficked, and we saw quite a few more hikers on the new trail on the way down. The new trail appears to be much more popular, but we decided to take that on the way down to spare our knees. It took us a little over 2 hours to climb and 2.5 hours on the way down. Overall great hike.

Ass-kicker.

Great hike! was apprehensive to do old trail....but we made it in 3 hours and would gladly do the old trail again on the way up. Took the new trail on the way down... very well groomed but long. But was a knee saver. Well worth it and would do it again.