Mailbox Peak Trail Loop

Mailbox Peak Trail Loop is a 8.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

Mailbox Peak loop is a challenging hike in the North Bend area that combines the Old Trail with the New Trail created by the Department of Natural Resources. The Old Trail is very challenging with sharp inclines all the way up through forest. The trail was easy to follow until about 3000ft where it gets covered by falling pines and leaves. Luckily the white diamond trail markers are well placed and easy to follow. Once the Old Trail meets the New Trail it's pretty straight forward from there although still very steep and challenging. Once you reach the boulder field the rest of the trail is quite exposed so dress accordingly and be prepared. It is a very quick and fun hike up through rocks and boulders and wild flowers. The top is breath taking, especially on a clear day, with views of Mount Rainier and the Middle Fork Valley below. To return, take the New Mailbox Peak Trail down back to the parking area. The parking lot gate gets closed at 9 PM daily and you must have a Discover Pass to park.

Love it! The grind is real.

Awesome experience! Very hard but worth it at the top. The view is stunning. My only thing I would say for first timers is be careful if you have a pup. Maybe my little guy wasn’t quite ready but we hike and run a lot and this one was too much for him. It’s a long way up and a long way down. The shuttle was great- plan on taking that and park at the high school. We made the mistake of driving to the trailhead and even at 8am the lots were full. We then had to drive all the way back. Shuttle driver was very nice both ways and no wait at all. Also bring more water than you even plan on. Happy trails! We had a great hike!!

Last few miles are challenging and a real burner. Peak was clear and the views were great! Excellent training ground. I would recommend being in decent shape to complete the total loop with the peak. You really earn the last bit.

Hiked: 2jun2018. got to trailhead at 0930.
c
Conditions: none, perfectly clear.
LOTS of unleashed dogs

All parking lots were full when We arrived at 0930. We parked on the street along with probably 40 other cars. Hiked UP the Old Trail and DOWN the new trail. The hike up was pretty intense but we took a lot of short breaks to rest and one longer break to snack before the two trails converged. The boulder field was easy but the section after thr field was pretty straight up all the way to the top. The peak was super busy, waited in line to get a picture with the mailbox. I thought you were swap gifts with mailbox but everyone was just stuffing it, oh well. Overall I don't think it was bad at all. Our 12 year old boy made it with no issues and little complaining, lol. if you're looking for a tough lower body workout I highly recommend the Old Trail up and new trail down. The old trail is practically a vertical grade thr while way, 3400 feet in 3 miles. If you're looking for a more leisurely hike than I highly recommend you stay off Old Trail altogether, ESPECIALLY down. I couldn't imagine how rough it is on your knees. new trail was bad enough on the knees during thr descent. According to Strava, we hiked 3 miles up the old trail and 6 miles down the new trail due to all the long switchbacks. overall great hike. I'd love to do it with snow on thr ground.

An awesome trail with scenery which will be captured from the beginning to the end no matter which direction you go. Remember and or keep in mind either you challenge yourself or it will challenge you ;) . Grand hike...

Went up old . . Came down new: 2:45 up - 2:05 down. The new trail is sooo nice . . I sure appreciate the massive effort that it took to create the new trail. The old trial is a tester . . Very few switchbacks . . Sincerely, it goes up like a ladder. The last 1,000 ft is exposed . . the last 500 feet in 1/4 mile . . Tad bit steep :) Awesome view of Rainier!

Super beautiful but hard hike! I was wondering if people were overreacting about how hard it is (and people do), but it is hard. Nothing you can’t handle and it’s beautiful. We did the old trail up which was an hour faster but def hard, and the new trail down which was easier, longer and more scenic. The last bit of the hike to the mailbox is def the hardest bit, but if you take small breaks it’s not bad at all. It’s a scenic and well worth it hike.

Ok. This is a great trail. Steep. Great exposure. Once u get to the boulders, your work is just beginning! On a cloudy day, bring layers, cause it’s chilly.

Started at 6am on Sunday. Took the old trail up and new down. Up took me about 1hrs55min and down about 2hrs.
Had the mailbox to myself for some time, to enjoy the beautiful sunny morning.
Take lots of water and do leave a snack in the mailbox behind :)
Will admit that yes its a knee killer one way or another, but it feels good anyways...

Such a brutal trail but so rewarding once arriving at the summit and taking it all in! Was really impressed with how supportive and motivational everyone on the trail was. Can’t wait to get my butt kicked by this trail again!

Amazing views on a clear day!

Hard but well worth the views

Hiked up the old trail and back down the new one. This was super hard for me. I wouldn't suggest anyone with bad knees to go up or down the old trail. I got past the main rock area and was shocked when I realized I had to keep going up the hill to the mailbox. It was a very challenging with loose rocks and slipping from the dust. However with support of my hiking buddy, I made it to the top. If I were to do this one again, I would only do new trail. Do bring Trekking Poles!! That is a must have!

We hiked the old trail, it was tough but great, there is definitely some need of maintenance on the trail but overall it was a challenging hike. Must go early it gets really packed by 11am with the new trail opened. This hike gets kind of noisey with all the people. So, if you're looking for a quiet hike go on the old trail early. We got there at 6am it was nice.

We hiked the new trail up and old trail down and I wish we would have taken new trail down for how steep the old trail is. The hike kicked my butt, but the view at the top and sense of accomplishment was well worth it!

People always advise arriving early, but I slept in and cinched rockstar parking in the upper lot at 1:30pm today, a cloudless Saturday. Up the old trail took 2-2.5 hrs, down the new was 1.5 walk/jog. I clocked closer to 9 miles for this loop.

Took the old trail up - 1:40
New trail down - 1:45

The old trail is a hell of a workout, I would not recommend it going down for safety and enjoyment. The new trail is more scenic, while the old trail is quite barren.

I did this hike today (5MAY2018). It is difficult especially when you start to hit the rocks, it gets steeper all the way to the top. Trekking poles did help out a lot. Make sure to get there early in the morning if you want to do this on a weekend. I got there before 9am and all the upper and lower parkings were all taken. I had to park pass the "NO PARKING" signs on the street. It's very crowded today. Over all, it's a great hike. Will do it again but on a weekday to see the difference of the crowd.

Completed this hike Wednesday morning, this was my second time doing it and really love this hike. It is difficult but the view at the top is well worth it. Still a little bit of snow toward the top and my hiking pole came in handy for that.

The new trail was really decent, though I am an experienced hiker. The were only a little snow around 4,000' while still in the tree lines, and some at the very summit. We did not use or need any traction and just wore normal hiking boots. Could've done it in tennis shoes probably.

Most of the trail is hidden in the trees so there are only views at the top, which I found disappointing. The views from the top were amazing though!

Came down the Old trail and there was no snow, but it kills your knees! Pretty steep but quick.

All I can say is WOW. We started on the trial at around 9am on a Friday morning so parking wasn't an issue we decided to do the new trail which has plenty of switchbacks to go around we used microspikes briefly but they are definitely not required However a good pair of hiking sticks went a long way. I had heard how difficult the trail was and wanted to test myself. The summit is gorgeous the stuff dreams are made of. Good luck to anyone who wants to complete this hike I had a great time and plan on going back in the summer.

Great climb! I recommend microspikes and poles, still lots of snow on the last mile. I took the old trail up and down.

Definitely a tough hike. Went up the old trail and down the new. Old trail was pretty wet/muddy for the first 1.5miles. snow and ice the last mile. Snow was super soft the last half mile push and was tough even with microspikes. the new trail seems exceptionally easy albeit long after the steep climb up. Fun and challenging trail though.

Heading back soon as I was unable to complete due to work ;( Expect this trail to take a minimum of 3 hours at a decent pace (3 mph average)

Awesome..made it today inspite if severe snow storm & rain...

Done it for first time twice in one day part of our training for Himalayas. 8.000 ft vertical gain and descent in a day is not bad. The trail is great experience and training ground to. The old trail requires a level of fitness but is doable for a beginner in shape. Amazing you have perfect phone signal.

Spikes were definitely needed. I wish I had poles. Old trail was very icey and hard to manage with how steep it was. It was still very satisfying to make it to the top. My Fitbit tracked close to 4 miles up the old trail and 6 miles down the new.

Simply beautiful!!! Bring microspikes.

Great trail - steep but worth the climb. Microspikes are a must now, poles would have been nice too. Definitely a little windy up in the boulder field, but totally doable.

Old trail up. Great workout. Packed snow in a trail too narrow for snowshoes. Summit is snow covered rocks and boulders so can’t use snowshoes there either. A bit icy towards the top, I had yaktrax but I wish I’d had microspikes. Ok the new rail down, seems long with lots of switchbacks. My favorite hike in the PNW so far.