Mailbox Peak Trail Loop

Mailbox Peak Trail Loop is a 8.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

Mailbox Peak loop is a challenging hike in the North Bend area that combines the Old Trail with the New Trail created by the Department of Natural Resources. The Old Trail is very challenging with sharp inclines all the way up through forest. The trail was easy to follow until about 3000ft where it gets covered by falling pines and leaves. Luckily the white diamond trail markers are well placed and easy to follow. Once the Old Trail meets the New Trail it's pretty straight forward from there although still very steep and challenging. Once you reach the boulder field the rest of the trail is quite exposed so dress accordingly and be prepared. It is a very quick and fun hike up through rocks and boulders and wild flowers. The top is breath taking, especially on a clear day, with views of Mount Rainier and the Middle Fork Valley below. To return, take the New Mailbox Peak Trail down back to the parking area. The parking lot gate gets closed at 9 PM daily and you must have a Discover Pass to park. Check out the tips section for more great info!

31 minutes ago

Did this hike in August, it’s a nice hike however you don’t have views till you literally reach the top. The rock scrimmage wasn’t bad, it was the loose dirt after the scrimmage for .60 miles that was a tad scary.

It took us 2hr 45 min up, we cruised up averaged 24 minutes it is steep and consistent up, but I don’t think this hike was extreme. Its hard at the top but not a hard hike.

The top was full of bugs around the mailbox, it was gross, I think someone put food inside.

I would do this hike again just for the view at the top.

October 13, 2018. Hiked up the old trail and down the new trail to try and save my knees. The 4,000 elevation gain was great for getting the heart rate up which I love. The 360° view at the top was beautiful. I could see Mt. Rainier, Mt. Baker, and Glacier Peak. Lots of people at the top. Met a friend down at the parking lot and hiked the whole way with him. Even went on an extra adventure from Mailbox Peak to Dirty Box Peak. Today was beautiful with blue skies and a high of 63°. Didn’t need more than a t-shirt...and extra deodorant ;) Enjoy!

Had a great trip up the old trail, over to Dirty Box Peak (just for fun), and back down the new trail. Weather couldn't have been more perfect and made a new hiking friend along the way. Views were awesome today!!

Went up the Old trail and down the new trail. Be warned, the old trail is VERY difficult and slippery when wet. The views from the top are OK.

Freaking awesome hike! It was pretty overcast the day I went and it’s crazy going through the clouds at the top. A little scary to be honest bc the fog is so thick that if you got off the rock path you could be lost forever..but worth the pic at the top :)

Hiked the trail Saturday morning — old trail on the way up and new on the way down. Brought our dog with us and he met many a furry friend on the way up (and down). All of us, dog included, were tuckered out by the time we got to the top. Our ascent was lightly trafficked, and we saw quite a few more hikers on the new trail on the way down. The new trail appears to be much more popular, but we decided to take that on the way down to spare our knees. It took us a little over 2 hours to climb and 2.5 hours on the way down. Overall great hike.

Ass-kicker.

Great hike! was apprehensive to do old trail....but we made it in 3 hours and would gladly do the old trail again on the way up. Took the new trail on the way down... very well groomed but long. But was a knee saver. Well worth it and would do it again.

Read a lot of reviews mentioning how tough the hike is beforehand and pretty sure it is! The views om the top tho are totally worth it. Took the new trail up and down, around 3.5 hrs up and 2 hrs down. I'm pretty sure I was one of the slower people on the trail so if you're a regular hiker then should be around 2.5 hrs up. Couldn't see Mt Rainier today but even then the views make up for it. The last one mile on rocks is tough, be prepared for it. Would definitely recommend it if you're up for a challenge

Challenging Hike. Extremely Rewarding.

My Friends texted me saying they wanted to go hiking, so naturally I thought hell yeah!

Personally, I was not expecting this hike to be so brutal. :')

By the time I reached the top I was crawling on my hands, all the muscles in my legs were shutting down from how tense they were.

I'd highly recommend taking breaks.

In conclusion, one of my most memorable hikes. You will run into amazing people who all share an affinity for nature and being outdoors. Bring trinkets, stickers that you can place on/in the Mailbox.

Toughest one that I have hiked in this area so far. We did the old trail up and new trail down. 2.5 going up and little less going back down. Old trail is boring, it goes on forever 5+ miles but definitely beats your leg muscles. Next time I am just doing old trail up and down. I hiked couple of days ago and my calf muscles can still feel the pain, totally worth it though. I want to do this once a year at a minimum. The views up top are amazing. Wish I had spent more time at the top. Next time.

This is a long, steep,hard hike. Your legs will burn so bad, it’s great :) Views at the top are really the only ones you will worth capturing. The new trail is easier but longer so most will spend a good amount of their day on the mountain. The parking lots fill fast and street parking fills as well. On the plus side there are no bugs. If you’re training this is a great hike to go up the old trail and run down the new trail, then repeat. I post photos of my hiking adventures on instagram under “adventuringKR”.

Amazing hike! Took the new trail up and old trail down extremely worth it!

Beautiful trail and an amazing hike just 40 min from Seattle. Panoramic view from the top is gorgeous. My GPS had us at 10 miles for the round trip from the parking lot. We moved and reached the mailbox in 2:20 hours up and 2 hours down. Enjoy-

Nice place to hike. Love this trail.

excelente montaña mucha adrenalina

Awesome experience to hike the trail... We completed first 4 miles of hike within 2 hours but the final miles once we reach Rocky Mountain area it took more time and we got tired a lot... But with the cool breeze and most around we enjoyed our hike and finally reached the destination “Mailbox”... Nice to see people leave something that remind their visit in there... Since it was covered with mist/clouds we couldn’t get the view completely... Later when we started back, it was raining like anything and finally end up getting wet completely. While return we took the old trail or primitive trail thinking that we will get nice views... But the thing is that it is very steep and while coming down we need to extra careful and also we may get lost in the trail since the pathway is damaged and not clear if you don’t have a map downloaded offline... though it had few nice views I can say... Overall we had an awesome hike with great views, wild flowers, fruits and sceneries!!! It’s worth a hike!!! Remember to take a Discover pass with you.. Or else you get a parking ticket...

Great hike, great reward at the top. The old trail up is a real test, but worth the effort just to be able to say you did it. The new trail is about twice as long as the old trail, but much more gradual. Taking the old trail up, I enjoyed the beauty of the forest while treating myself to huckleberries and blueberries along the way. Clearing the trees you will come to an open rock field that may look like the final push to the summit only to get up there and find out it gets steeper yet for another quarter mile or so before you get to take in the amazing view at the true summit. Lots of amazing spring flowers along the way as well.

this is 11miles round trip if you take new trail. take plenty of water. last mile is hard climb, in the open and rocky area. overall worth the experience.

Challenging but very satisfying once you finish. Went up and back on the new trail making the total miles around 13.

Well let's say I will never do this hike again. It was all rainbows and butterflies for the first 6 hours then shit went down hill from there. By the end if this hike I hated hikes, my 3 friends, and mailboxes. I never want to see a mailbox again. If ever I get the urge to see a mailbox I'm going to just fill up a random box with shit and take a selfie! Also, throwing this out there if you ever urge to see a white mailbox come to my house and I'll let you fill my box up with random shit and take a selfie. We went up the old trail. We were quite thankful for the white triangles! We lost them for a moment and went the wrong way.....annoying wasted about 30 minutes. Finally made it to the mailbox and were ecstatic did a gift exchange. We were on a hikers high going down the new trail! Then the last hour and a half everything went down hill. There were tears, laughs, hate, two of us fell, and more tears. We even went into survival mode we were out of water and food. We saw a "bear" I mean deer. Then this made us even more hungry and started to discuss who we would consume first. Again, we will never do this hike again and I will have my white mailbox at my house with random shit for your pleasure. Long story short made it to the parking lot and one friend said he would never hike with me again. The other just took their crap and said they were just going to uber home. Short story long if you want to hike 14 miles see a mailbox, fall, cry, become hysterical, lose your friends, and need surgery on your knee. Do this hike!!!!! Lastly, if there were an option I would chose extra hard on the hike level! I gym every day and do a decent amount of hiking.

This trail was amazing 6 hours up and down

Not as hard as I was expecting it to be. New trail is well maintained. Start early in the day. Took us about 4 hrs to get to the top. Once you reach the boulders it’s about another 30 mins. KEEP PUSHING! You’re almost there!!! View is beautiful! Lots of bugs at the top. Bring lots of water! I went through 70 ounces of water with still 30-35mins left coming down the trail. Bring more than you think you’ll need. Bring something to leave in the mailbox!

New trail is great and much easier to navigate the rock face. Pretty buggy up top.

This rt hike is at least 13.5 miles. I don’t get the distance on the trail notes unless hey are indicating from parking lot to peak-one way.

This was a great work out! The end was tough, but the feeling knowing that me and my friends accomplished this made it worth it.

Whew! What a tough hike but oh so worth it at the top! Took the new trail up and it was in near perfect condition. There were quite a few people on this trail but it wasn’t really bothersome. The hardest part for me was coming back down. We decided to take the old trail down and it was really hard on my knees, hips and toes and I’m only 29 and in pretty good shape. It was also my first hike of the season though. Highly recommend!

14Jul18 Joe from Montana!! You left your dog bag in our car!

Excellent hike with an amazing view at the top on a clear day!! Took me 2 hours and 45 minutes up with my dog needing breaks from the heat toward the top. The old trail up was pleasantly difficult and hard to find the trail toward the top. Diamond markers helps keep you on track thank goodness. I took the new trail down with many switch backs. That portion alone was 5.3 miles. I think this hike is longer than what is stated but wonderful none the less.

I went up the new trail and down the old trail. I packed light and alternated between jogging and “striding out“ on the steep sections. It took me 1 hour 40 minutes to the top. Here’s what I learned:

Top 10 tips hikers need to know for Mailbox Peak:

1. Parking is a nightmare. Instead of battling for a parking space, park 10 mins down the road at Twin Falls Middle School. Bring $2.75 (each way, so $5.50 total) or your Orca card to pay the fare. There is a sandwich board where to stand for the shuttle, which comes ever 10-15 minutes. You can’t miss it, and it beats the hassle of parking.

Note: there are pit toilets at the parking lot once you get dropped off from the shuttle and you walk uphill. Please close the lid of the toilet, guys.

2. Once dropped off by the shuttle, walk up the paved hill until you get to a gate across a gravel road (on your left). Just look for the big gate/bar across the road... That is the start of the trail. Follow this gravel road uphill until you get to the trailhead. (You’ll see a sign) Head left, and walk uphill until you get to the top!

Note: these directions are for the “new trail.“ If you want the “old trail,” keep going up this gravel road until you come to another sign on your left that indicates Mailbox Peak. Head left and up!

3. Most important tip: bring water. Seriously bring LOTS of water. There are no creeks, streams, or lakes. I jogged/fast-walked the entire thing, so I wasn’t hiking long, so I thought I could get away with just 2 liters. I STILL ran out of water 1/2 way down. Sure I survived, but I felt pretty gross driving back. Recommendation: bring a gallon of water. Yes it’s an obscene amount, but you will thank me. You will have a difficult time choking down that much water, so sprinkle some Kool-Aid powder or power aid mixture to give you an incentive to drink it.

4. Mailbox at the top: Bring a sticker for the mailbox. Don’t be that guy who puts food in the mailbox. That’s why there are flies everywhere—from the person that day who put a box of raisins to cook in the mailbox.

5. Old trail? Or new trail? Unless you are in marathon running shape, do NOT take the old trail up OR down. The old trail is very technical with lots of roots. Seriously you can’t walk 12 inches without getting your foot caught on a root, which is exhausting (or challenging!).

Recommendation: take the “new trail.” The volunteers who put the new trail together did an absolutely INCREDIBLE job with it. It’s smooth, rolling, and easy to pass people (double wide!). You will thank me! But if you choose the old trail, unless you run Spartan races continuously, you will tell yourself “We should’ve listened to that review on AllTrails.”)

6. Sunscreen, yes or no? Virtually the entire trail is shaded, which is perfect for summer hiking. Up until the last part, when you hop out onto the exposed rock, only then do you start to bake. Recommendation: right before you come out of the trees, slather up. Seriously the sun is 27,000,000°F and your dreams of your “light sunburn turning into a tan” is only an illusion.

7. Beer at the top? Yes, getting to the summit is exhilarating, but celebrating by drinking a diuretic is the last thing you want to do to your body. Remember, when you’re at the top you are only 50% done with the hike. 90% of mountaineering accidents happen on the way DOWN, when fatigue is setting in and gravity is pulling you down. You need to be on your A-game going downhill, not buzzed. Save the beer for when you get home, and even then re-hydrate. If you insist on sipping a beer at the top, just know there are a lot of people laughing at your pretentious hipster self.

8. 10 Essentials: bring them. From a first aid kit (including mole skin) to a flashlight. The only thing: bug repellent isn’t really necessary. There is no standing water nearby, and odds are when you are sitting up on the summit, away from the mailbox, there will be a slight breeze to keep the bugs away.

Tip: trekking poles will save your knees if you are hiking. Running? They will get in the way.

9. Save cell phone battery life: Using the All Trails app to record your hike, right after you press “record“ (at the start of your hike of course) switch your phone into airplane mode. This will save your battery and it will still be tracking your GPS signal. Tested on a very well-used battery on an iPhone 6s, and still had 80% battery life after the entire hike.

10. Dogs: there are quite a few. I love seeing them. But please if you’re a dog owner, bring bags for the dog poo and pack it out. Don’t kick the poop off the trail into the bushes... I know it’s “natural“ and there are a lot of animals that poop in the woods, but we can still smell it fermenting—especially after 100 dogs/day go on the trail. Plus dog poop has a very distinct odor that tends to ruin the moment. And of course, lots of water for doggo!

This is a fantastic hike that every WA hiker must go on.

-Beau Chevassus

Parking is very limited unless you arrive there very early like 6:30 am and the trail is not difficult