Mailbox Peak Trail

Mailbox Peak Trail is a 9.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Take exit 34 from I-90. Head north on 468th Ave SE for approximately half a mile until the intersection with the SE Middle Fork Road. Turn right onto the Middle Fork Road. Follow SE Middle Fork Road 2.5 miles. Take the turnoff to the trailhead on the right and continue a short distance to the parking lot.

Be sure to have your spikes on you, but it is such a spectacular view from the top!

Hiked on the 10/28.
Amazing hike. Very dry. Wet in some areas.no snow yet. Hardest hike I've done in a while. There's two trails. Hard one is 5 miles long round trip. Easier one is 10 miles long round trip. Very steep.
Drink plenty of water before going. Like drink a lot the day before. I was dehydrated and had leg cramps. Take plenty of energy bars and water. I ran out of water and only ate 6 hours before hike started. Pretty dumb.but pushed myself and made it.
The top is so rewarding. Got there at sunset.amazing view. A must hike.

I had all the intentions on doing the 4.4 miler but the sign in the beginning is misleading. Once you are actually walking up to the trail it points to the left which takes you to the longer trail which ones you was not bad at all. I wanted to try to take the way I originally wanted to take on the way down but the old trail can get you lost honestly but all in all I feel good I finished this. I am a beginner so for me to knock this one out is a huge confidence booster esp since I kind of did the harder one. Going back down is rough not gonna lie I fell like 5 times. It was really slippery! Getting to the mailbox though you feel super relieved. I wouldn’t mind doing it again but if I don’t have to I will be ok lol. The app says 7.8 but I actually did 8.82 I stopped to talk to a couple and I did not unpause

Very ordinary hike through the woods for the first 3.5 miles, the last mile created some neat challenges. The top was nice, ran into some snow, left a picture in the mailbox , but unless you have nice weather (we didn’t) , not much of a payoff for a long hike. Will come back next year, to see if picture is still there and hopefully take in the view.

My friend and I did this a few weeks ago and after reading the reviews on here we thought it would be best to take the old trail up and the newer trail down. The old trail is about a 4000 ft elevation gain in 2.5 miles. Doesn't sound bad at first but in addition to it being extremely steep, the trail is not maintained at all which made it even more difficult than it already was. In addition, the trail markers are at times tricky to find. There's a sign at the bottom of the trail and actually warns you that this one is for more experienced hikers. We thought it would be easy considering we had previously done the Manitou Incline in Colorado Springs, a mile of about a 2000 feet elevation gain (6000 to 8000 feet). After what felt like a century, we finally connected with the newer trail and assumed we were almost to the top. A friendly hiker told us we had about 15 minutes to go. Feeling optimistic, we started making our way up on the next part of the trail which consisted of a bunch of rocks but with a clear path making it fairly easy. As we reached the top of the rocks, I looked at the view and realized how high we really were. I'm thinking we have to almost be there... but nope! You see the final part of the trail which was just all dirt and straight up. Many people on this hike had poles which would have been helpful for this part. My friend and I had to resort to using our hands and walking on all fours for the final descent. When we FINALLY reached the mailbox (which by the way was not 15 minutes according to that hiker, maybe more like 30-40 minutes) we were so relieved. The view is SPECTACULAR. You can see part of Seattle facing one way and on the other side you can see more mountains. It was a little cloudy that day making the visibility more difficult but still worth it. Definitely one of the hardest hikes I have ever done! Going down was also difficult too because of how steep that final part was. If you take the easy trail down, it will be very easy but extremely LONG! I had never been so happy to reach the car LOL! We ate at this delicious Mexican restaurant in North Bend called Rio Bravo which was absolutely delicious especially after a long day of hiking.

Got to the trailhead today really early and the gate to the parking lot was closed so we parked outside the gate no problem, at 6:15 there was only 3 other cars, we hiked up to the trailhead for the new trail because we heard it was longer but also easier on the knees for the descent, it starts off pretty gradual for quite a ways of what I would call meandering hiking meaning not to steep feeling , obviously the new trail was designed so more people could get to the top in that the trail for the most part is really wide and non technical, after climbing for about 5 miles we reached the first false summit which really is a rock field to the summit, pretty easy to follow the right path up because of the heavy use you can see the stones are discolored, sorta like following the yellow brick road, only up steeply, this is where it really changes to a formidable climb of calf burning fun up to the summit albeit short , about .06 to the top, the view at the top was well worth the grind for sure with 360' views. We didn't know it at the time but some of the people that were at the top with us were the Seahawk 12 group that was featured on Seahawk.com having hiked up almost every game rain or shine for the last 3-4 years, David Kush is the guy that started it so shout out to him. That's dedication to this Peak and the Seahawks

Very long hike. Took around 5hours. Trail is a bit boring and the view at the top is amazing.

Great hike! Wasn't expecting the scramble to as steep as it was at the end but I'm glad I finished it

Fun hike to the top, but the beginning is relatively unremarkable. Old way is steeper and I think more fun. I took the old way up and the new way down (easier on the knees). The last section of hike through the rock field to the top features nice views and the top is an excellent place to stop for lunch. Be sure to bring something to leave in the mailbox!

HOLY CRAP!!!! I'm also giving myself 5 stars. Amazed I did this and could still walk! I never even took a nap once I got home!!! This was my last big hike before Mt St Helens and it was a doozy!!!!! We started at 7:30am and almost got on the newer trail but luckily a guy passing corrected us and showed us where the old trail starts. It's pretty much straight up the entire way. You need to take special care the whole way. Not only your footing but the white diamond markers on the tree. They can be hard to see. It's absolutely exhausting the whole way and you feel you're never going to get there. Once you get through the trees you're met with a boulder field. This part was seriously cool!!!!!!! Amazing views all around of the I-90 corridor. Too smoky to see Rainier though. After the boulder field come the gates of hell. Up up up false summit (WTF??). Up more then finally the MAILBOX! Please make sure
You take enough water (I did not). Amazing views at the top. Sign the ledger, eat lunch, soak it all in. I came back down the new way because the old way would have KILLED my knees. 8 hours total including breaks and lunch. It's a must for a hikers bucket list.

Amazing view,it's worth it..!

Amazing reward for a difficult hike. The view at the top is beautiful on a nice clear day. The hardest part is that you constantly think you're close to the top but right as you think you're there you have to hike up 2 large rock hills, which can be super difficult especially after the long hike just to get to that point. I recommend bringing lots of snacks and water!

Great hike. Not kid friendly. Well for younger kids.

First time hiking this length and elevation. My sister and I made it past the boulders at the top. But some nice hiker told us it was a bit longer to the tip top. We were running out of time. I was glad he told us. We took his advice and headed back down. He said the views were the same and told we made it. He was very encouraging and I think he saw we were done :)

This was a huge accomplishment and biggest hike to date. The switchbacks were gentle and it was a steady incline. It wasn't to bad at all. Just long. The app says it's just over 9 miles ( we took the new way) and my sister and I both got about 12 miles. A few other hikers who have been on this hike has said the same thing.

All in all we had a good time and met a lot of nice hikers along the way. Many past us on the way up and down. Don't be discouraged if it takes you a while.

Oh FYI make sure you are out by 8 pm. They will lock your car in the parking lot. They close the gates.

Mailbox is challenging and rewarding at the same time. Well kept trail. The rocky terrain near the summit ads extra fun to the hike. Temp really cooled at the top which was nice for our lunch break. The panoramic views at the peak were breathtaking.

My favorite day hike. Did the new trail. Tough but not technically challenging. Loved emerging on the other side of the clouds to amazing views. Bring plenty of water. Next time I'll bring my dog, and try the old trail.

Was looking for a hike that was difficult, but not OMG are you kidding difficult. Mailbox was the perfect fit.
Long (more like 11 miles rt), but not too long. Steep, but not insanely so. Trail in really good shape. Took about 4 and a half hours round trip.
Btw, major props to those who worked so obviously hard making a trail through the rocks near the summit. It turned what could have been something daunting into a much easier hike. Thank you for your work.

We loved this hike! The first 3.5 miles were gradual and beautiful through the woods. Once you reach the opening, the terrain becomes steeper and and rockier. This is more challenging part. Even with all the smoke, the visibility was good. You are hiking the last mile in the sun, so being water, sun screen and snacks. It took up 3.5 hours up and 2.5 down. The best part... NO BUGS! YIPPIEEEE!

One of the most challenging hikes I've ever done. We took the new trail up and the old one on the way down... big mistake! Don't take the old trail down! Views at the top were amazing. I'd definitely do this hike again!

Challenging but nice view once at the peak. If doing the hike on the weekend, I suggest you get there no later than 7:00 AM. It's a very popular hike and the peak gets pretty crowded (hard to find a spot to sit, relax, and eat your snack).

Two full hikes in one, once you think you are close to the top....you are not. Bring lots of water and snacks. Beautiful at the top!