Mailbox Peak Trail

Mailbox Peak Trail is a 9.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Take exit 34 from I-90. Head north on 468th Ave SE for approximately half a mile until the intersection with the SE Middle Fork Road. Turn right onto the Middle Fork Road. Follow SE Middle Fork Road 2.5 miles. Take the turnoff to the trailhead on the right and continue a short distance to the parking lot.

2.4 miles up the old trail and 4200ft elevation gain. its a doozy..And 4.8 miles down the new trail.

Very ordinary hike through the woods for the first 3.5 miles, the last mile created some neat challenges. The top was nice, ran into some snow, left a picture in the mailbox , but unless you have nice weather (we didn’t) , not much of a payoff for a long hike. Will come back next year, to see if picture is still there and hopefully take in the view.

My friend and I did this a few weeks ago and after reading the reviews on here we thought it would be best to take the old trail up and the newer trail down. The old trail is about a 4000 ft elevation gain in 2.5 miles. Doesn't sound bad at first but in addition to it being extremely steep, the trail is not maintained at all which made it even more difficult than it already was. In addition, the trail markers are at times tricky to find. There's a sign at the bottom of the trail and actually warns you that this one is for more experienced hikers. We thought it would be easy considering we had previously done the Manitou Incline in Colorado Springs, a mile of about a 2000 feet elevation gain (6000 to 8000 feet). After what felt like a century, we finally connected with the newer trail and assumed we were almost to the top. A friendly hiker told us we had about 15 minutes to go. Feeling optimistic, we started making our way up on the next part of the trail which consisted of a bunch of rocks but with a clear path making it fairly easy. As we reached the top of the rocks, I looked at the view and realized how high we really were. I'm thinking we have to almost be there... but nope! You see the final part of the trail which was just all dirt and straight up. Many people on this hike had poles which would have been helpful for this part. My friend and I had to resort to using our hands and walking on all fours for the final descent. When we FINALLY reached the mailbox (which by the way was not 15 minutes according to that hiker, maybe more like 30-40 minutes) we were so relieved. The view is SPECTACULAR. You can see part of Seattle facing one way and on the other side you can see more mountains. It was a little cloudy that day making the visibility more difficult but still worth it. Definitely one of the hardest hikes I have ever done! Going down was also difficult too because of how steep that final part was. If you take the easy trail down, it will be very easy but extremely LONG! I had never been so happy to reach the car LOL! We ate at this delicious Mexican restaurant in North Bend called Rio Bravo which was absolutely delicious especially after a long day of hiking.

Got to the trailhead today really early and the gate to the parking lot was closed so we parked outside the gate no problem, at 6:15 there was only 3 other cars, we hiked up to the trailhead for the new trail because we heard it was longer but also easier on the knees for the descent, it starts off pretty gradual for quite a ways of what I would call meandering hiking meaning not to steep feeling , obviously the new trail was designed so more people could get to the top in that the trail for the most part is really wide and non technical, after climbing for about 5 miles we reached the first false summit which really is a rock field to the summit, pretty easy to follow the right path up because of the heavy use you can see the stones are discovered like following the yellow brick road, only up steeply, this is where it really changes to a formidable climb of calf burning fun up to the summit albeit short , about .06 to the top, the view at the top was well worth the grind for sure with 360' views. We didn't know it at the time but some of the people that were at the top with us were the Seahawk 12 group that was featured on Seahawk.com having hiked up almost every game rain or shine for the last 3-4 years, David Kush is the guy that started it so shout out to him. That's dedication to this Peak and the Seahawks

Very long hike. Took around 5hours. Trail is a bit boring and the view at the top is amazing.

Great hike! Wasn't expecting the scramble to as steep as it was at the end but I'm glad I finished it

Fun hike to the top, but the beginning is relatively unremarkable. Old way is steeper and I think more fun. I took the old way up and the new way down (easier on the knees). The last section of hike through the rock field to the top features nice views and the top is an excellent place to stop for lunch. Be sure to bring something to leave in the mailbox!

HOLY CRAP!!!! I'm also giving myself 5 stars. Amazed I did this and could still walk! I never even took a nap once I got home!!! This was my last big hike before Mt St Helens and it was a doozy!!!!! We started at 7:30am and almost got on the newer trail but luckily a guy passing corrected us and showed us where the old trail starts. It's pretty much straight up the entire way. You need to take special care the whole way. Not only your footing but the white diamond markers on the tree. They can be hard to see. It's absolutely exhausting the whole way and you feel you're never going to get there. Once you get through the trees you're met with a boulder field. This part was seriously cool!!!!!!! Amazing views all around of the I-90 corridor. Too smoky to see Rainier though. After the boulder field come the gates of hell. Up up up false summit (WTF??). Up more then finally the MAILBOX! Please make sure
You take enough water (I did not). Amazing views at the top. Sign the ledger, eat lunch, soak it all in. I came back down the new way because the old way would have KILLED my knees. 8 hours total including breaks and lunch. It's a must for a hikers bucket list.

Amazing view,it's worth it..!

Amazing reward for a difficult hike. The view at the top is beautiful on a nice clear day. The hardest part is that you constantly think you're close to the top but right as you think you're there you have to hike up 2 large rock hills, which can be super difficult especially after the long hike just to get to that point. I recommend bringing lots of snacks and water!