Mailbox Peak Trail

Mailbox Peak Trail is a 9.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Take exit 34 from I-90. Head north on 468th Ave SE for approximately half a mile until the intersection with the SE Middle Fork Road. Turn right onto the Middle Fork Road. Follow SE Middle Fork Road 2.5 miles. Take the turnoff to the trailhead on the right and continue a short distance to the parking lot.

I just recently moved out here from NC and this was my first hike. The final push through the rocks is a tough one but making it to the top is very rewarding. It was really foggy when I got to the top but it cleared on my descent. Very challenging! I totally recommend it!

First time hiking this trail. Took old trail on the way up. It was like reaching heaven going through hell LOL! It took me and my friend 3 hours to get to the top. Came back down via the new trail (another 3 hours). It was an awesome experience. Slept like a baby back home.

The view at the top is well worth the hike. Highly recommend it.

The view totally worth it in the great Sunday before Memorial Day. We took the new trail up and down, spent about 6 hrs (we are fairly beginners). The new trail is a long hike but not very challenging except the last .5 mi after merging with old trail. Will try the old one next time. Be sure to wear comfortable shoes and bring enough water and energy bar.

I’m a beginner so this was my first hike. I got lost for a second but managed to make it out . I was so close to the top unfortunately had to turn around because I was going to be late for work . Lol Steep for sure , loved it . I went up and down old trail . I will be back to finish! Up 4:30ish hours down 2 hours

I went up mailbox peak 05/13/2018. I went up using “old trail” and came down using “new trail”. My thoughts are simply this... old trail is definitely a work out!! Without taking too many breaks I made it up to the mailbox in 4 hrs an 30mins coming down using new trail I made it down in 3 hrs. If your new to this trail and your not to much in shape I recommend going up using new trail, a partner and back pack of water and some apples and bananas for fuel. if your in good shape and you want a work out try old trail. Either way as long as you don’t give up making it up to the top is well worth it. The view is awesome and their are not too many other hikes like it!

We hiked on 5/12/18 it was nice no snow only on the sides. It got warmer on the top, weather around low 70s. The hike however was a total of 10.5 from parking and back. It says on the map 8.5 but it is more than than. We took the new trail going about 6+ miles and came down on the old trail which it is actually old, some areas you have to guess where the trial is, just followed the white diamond signs on the trees and you are in the right direction. It was worth it to do it. This is my second time. :) enjoy

I have done tougher hikes but the last mile on this will still absolutely test your endurance and conditioning. Up until that last mile this is a pretty moderate hike (taking the new trail) with a steady incline but nothing too difficult. For that last mile, ensure you bring plenty of water (I carried 3 liters and drank all of it) and reserve some energy. It will test you if you are not ready for it. The views from the top are absolutely worth it and overall this is a great hike.

Did this two days ago. I took the new trail up and down. It’s a great trail with a pretty steady incline the whole way. Gets pretty steep toward the top, but it was clear of snow and had good footing on the steep parts so it wasn’t too bad. Loved the view of Rainier at the top. Going through the mailbox was pretty interesting as well. Fun hike on a beautiful day. Would definitely do it again.

Did this hike with my 8 year old daughter. The views from the top were spectacular.

Disclaimer: I did not make it to the top. My garmin clocked the hike at 10.27 miles, but I’m told it may have been off because of all of the switchbacks. It was a brutal hike, with not much to look at. It’s straight uphill in the woods, with no flat area to rest. I had my old lab with me and he did a good job making it up the hills and through the snow (which was a bit icy but standard hiking boots are fine) but once we came to the rocky area he started to struggle. We had about a half mile left to go, but I didn’t feel comfortable taking him the rest of the way. It was pretty heartbreaking because I probably won’t hike this trail again. I wanted to see the view from the top, but the trail itself is quite boring. It’s a workout for sure, but there is really nothing to look at, unlike some other hikes I’ve done where there are lakes or viewpoints to stop at. No wildlife either.

Went last weekend. Good hike. It is difficult. This was my first time doing it. I look forward to doing in the summer time. I would highly recommend taking micro spikes. My dad did it without but it was much more difficult.

Great view but bring spikes for the last 400 meters

Easier way up/down to than the old trail

This hike is a must-do on a clear day- you can see so many peaks, including Rainier right in your face! We did this on Saturday and hit snow about 2/3 of the way up. While many of the people we saw had microspikes, we didn’t. I would say if you have them, use them, but if you don’t own them (like us) you will be just fine as long as you have trekking poles. We were also able to glissade part of the way down from the top- so fun :)

Nice day for hiking! We got snow all the way. Took us 5hrs to the top. Amazing view- love it!

Amazing view! Challenging trail but definitely worth the effort!

Hiked this yesterday for the first time and I submitted in just my hiking boots, no spikes. My friend, who never ever hikes and is 40 lbs over weight, got to within 100 yards of the mailbox but did not have good footwear. He was wearing running shoes with wool socks pulled over them for gripping, gym shorts and a Superman shirt. This is instantly my most favorite hike. there are minimal flat spots, all climibing or decsending, and a few gorgeous views that can bring a grown man to his knees. Treking poles really help extend endurance. The snow on the pass was slick slush, worthy to slow down and gain sure footing.

On Sunday a friend and I climbed to the top of Mailbox Peak I made this video along the trail: https://youtu.be/NjPD0IV5a8M

We parked at the lower parking lot and at 6am we started our hike up the new trail the snow was patchy until mile 2ish where it turned into a solid snow pack. The trail was very well maintained and cleared I would recommend crampons but micro spikes work. We reached the top around 9:30am with clear skies and almost no wind. We headed down about 15 minutes later. We passed many people on the way down. We reached the trailhead at 12:00 only to find both parking lots where full and people where parking on the road. Check out the video I made about the hike: https://youtu.be/NjPD0IV5a8M

Overall it was a great hike with amazing views and weather. I suggest crampons for the steep sections and a early start to beat the people.

Be safe out there,

NW Adventures

my favorite hike

Fantastic day to be hiking

Excellent workout hike. Amazing views on top

Got to the hike around noon. It was snowing ever so lightly at the trail head. The trail was covered in snow, but all the previous hikers had pressed it down and the trail was smooth sailing. The majority of the trail was easy going. The last half mile was difficult due to the steeper incline, and it was at this moment i put on my yaktraks, which seemingly doubled my pace. Trekking poles wouldve made things even easier! It took me 3.5 hours to the top. It got pretty cold up there, and the view was not clear. Ill have to come back on a clearer day for the views. It took approx 1.5 hours to get back to the trail head with a mixture of sliding, jogging, and walking. Word of advice, dont run in your yaktraks/etc. i started to develop hotspots on my toes from pressure points.

Clothing/gear:
-bottom layer: thermal bottoms and soft shell pants, and my legs felt perfect. I had koderately insulated hiking shoes, and some medium weight socks, and my feet were perfect too!
-top layer: thermal top, light weight shirt, vest. This was also perfect for the hike! The body heat generated made it so i didnt need to pull the full zip fleece out of my pack that i brought just in case. I also packed a light weight rain jacket which helped at the top, more exposed area of the hike. I wore light weight gloves the whole hike, as well as a head band to keep my ears warm, yet let my head breath.
-suggestions: bring yaktraks/similar. I think you can summit without them but it will take you so much longer fighting for traction. Bring trekking poles if you got em! If not, bring water resistant/proof gloves because you will fall into the snow, and catch yourself with your hands= wet cold hands.
-food: i ate three bars throughout the hike. Was surprised i actually got hungry, seeing as how i had a good sized lunch prior to the hike.

This was a great hike. I really enjoyed the new trail, I would just recommend having microspikes still as we hit snow 2/3 to 3/4 way up.

Fantastic views!! Snow at the top, used micro spikes.

The hike isn't too bad until the last mile. The last mile killed me, haha. There was a bit of snow at the end and spikes help but you don't NEED them. I would definitely suggest going pretty early though because it gets pretty crowded later in the day.

Awesome 360 views from the top! Should have done a couple practice hikes before this one though because boy were we sore the next couple days!

Be sure to have your spikes on you, but it is such a spectacular view from the top!

Hiked on the 10/28.
Amazing hike. Very dry. Wet in some areas.no snow yet. Hardest hike I've done in a while. There's two trails. Hard one is 5 miles long round trip. Easier one is 10 miles long round trip. Very steep.
Drink plenty of water before going. Like drink a lot the day before. I was dehydrated and had leg cramps. Take plenty of energy bars and water. I ran out of water and only ate 6 hours before hike started. Pretty dumb.but pushed myself and made it.
The top is so rewarding. Got there at sunset.amazing view. A must hike.

I had all the intentions on doing the 4.4 miler but the sign in the beginning is misleading. Once you are actually walking up to the trail it points to the left which takes you to the longer trail which ones you was not bad at all. I wanted to try to take the way I originally wanted to take on the way down but the old trail can get you lost honestly but all in all I feel good I finished this. I am a beginner so for me to knock this one out is a huge confidence booster esp since I kind of did the harder one. Going back down is rough not gonna lie I fell like 5 times. It was really slippery! Getting to the mailbox though you feel super relieved. I wouldn’t mind doing it again but if I don’t have to I will be ok lol. The app says 7.8 but I actually did 8.82 I stopped to talk to a couple and I did not unpause

2.4 miles up the old trail and 4200ft elevation gain. its a doozy..And 4.8 miles down the new trail.