Learn more

Mailbox Peak (Old) Trail is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 3,989 feet Route Type: Out & Back

NOTE: Discover Pass is required

My buddy and I got there at 0515 hrs on 7/4 and there were a couple of cars there already. This hike was very steep, and challenging. I have decent cardio, and it was a grind going up. The walking trail does have a lot of tree roots for potential sprain hazard, just watch your footing. The latter part of the hike (rock face) is fairly steep. I would highly recommend hiking poles and a decent amount of water. My buddy and I got to the top taking this route in 2 hours and 45 mins. The view is absolutely amazing, and rewarding. We also took this route down. It is pretty hard on your knees, but saves a ton of time. I took a couple of falls here, and there.

If is ur first time or u don’t have enough experience never going on this hike. one of the hardest hike I ever done more than 6 hours very deeper and rocky

great!

If you're looking for a challenge for day hiking, mailbox would be a good one!

We took the old steep trail up with a shorter route, & socked in. But still amazing. Took new longer trail down better for our knees & still had a beautiful hike. It was difficult but worth it. Go on a clear day to enjoy the view!!

Went on July 3 (Friday) because the 4th of July is on a Saturday. At 8:15am the parking lot was full, so I drove about a mile down and parallel parked around where the creek trail is. Took the 'old' trail up. It's no joke. 4,000 elevation gain in 2.5 miles over exposed tree rots, mud, rocks, eroded earth... You'll have to pace yourself and remember that you're competing only against yourself.. At the boulder field, the stairway is marked, and it's a steady climb. At the actual mailbox, there's a line to get a picture with the mailbox. Thought that was nice. A lot of people up there relishing the view and having lunch. The way down is more difficult, because you want to keep your balance and NOT twist an ankle. Took the 'new' trail down. It's a long set of switchbacks over muddy soil. It's a breeze compared to the way up on the 'old' trail. I took the advice of the more experienced and adept hikers.. take 'old' trail up and 'new' trail down. Trail is in good condition. Saw a few tidbits of trash here and there, but more part, it's a great trail that I recommend to anyone!

I would recommend this trail to anyone who wanted more challenge. It’s an EPIC hike! I am a rookie and I chose the Old Trail both ways and I will do it again. It was tough but once you get there it was such an accomplishment. It’s easy to get off track cuz at one point I lost the trail. So, uploading the All Trails map really helps me. I love this hike!

Solid day-hike. Took about 2 1/2 hours to reach the top via new trail. Took the old trail down. Very steep, muddy and lots of tree roots. Took about 5 hours to complete it with some short breaks.

Challenging but enjoyable. Final half mile or so is very rocky, steep and slick in many places; I recommend taking it slow and watching where you step. I'll admit I almost ate it bad in that section when I was being too hasty. Views at the top were... nonexistent but I can imagine it would be incredible on a clear day. Still glad I went. Overall great workout and nice location, would recommend.

Ran a triple on a foggy day with light rain. Not too many people, lots of good vert and the footing was pretty good despite the mud.

great!

#16 - This was really STEEP (for me). This is my 16th hike this season and have been doing other high trails of similar elevation. However this was different and I was mentally prepared. Our original plan was to take old trail up and new trail down. We started at 6.40 AM 06/27/20 Saturday and may be due to the rain forecast, there were only few cars in the lot - was full when we reached back at 11.40. It took 2.30 hrs up and 2.10 hrs back using old trail. 20 minutes at the top. Not much views and foggy. By the time we intersected new trail just before the rocky climb of 0.5 miles, we saw many hikers in the trail. The last 0.6 miles were intense and i am glad of having the hiking poles. I never used poles in my previous 15 hikes and can vouch how much it helped especially while coming down. Given the new trail was more than 5 miles, decided to take old trail to save time. Though downhill, didnt see much time savings despite less stops. This was on my checklist before the Enchantment trails in August. Note: Since it wasnt very hot and sunny, water consumption was relatively less but would be a different story if it was sunny and hot.

great!

Route: (old) trail up and (new) trail down. The old trail wasn't as bad as expected. I took it slow and steady, and thankfully, though attempting to do it solo, I met another hiker and we shared the trail up to the top. He had downloaded the All Trails map and it was helpful in affirming we were on track the whole time. It can be grueling at times, with no views until you're 15-minutes below the summit, but well worth it once you reach the top! For the descent, we took the (new) trail and so glad we did. Very gradual and beautiful towards the bottom when the foliage and salmon berries were in full splendor. Excellent hike with 360 views at the summit of Mt. Rainier, the Olympics and the Cascades!!!!! Stats: - 6 hours roundtrip (includes 30 minute rest at the summit) - 4,105 ft. elevation gained - Avg. speed: 1.8 mph ** ProTip: Download the AllTrails route in advance (requires paid plan). The hiker I met used this and it was super helpful in knowing we were on track since there was no internet service in most sections of the trail. If you don't have the map, follow the metal diamond markers to the top. They have entertaining descriptions to keep you guessing.

Used this trail 06/25/20. This was definitely a challenging trail! You start feeling that burn on your legs maybe 20 minutes in your hike! Like what everyone says, this trail is not for beginners. The incline’s crazy af! I have legs and I had trouble. I had to take a one minute break every half a mile. I remember I kept checking my fitbit to see how many miles I’ve walked since the last time I checked—often times just about 0.10mile. Haha. I just wanted to be at the top already! My friend and I started our hike at 5:30am and took us about two and half hours to reach the peak. The trail didn’t have much views as you are surrounded with trees. The best view was seeing the rock steps towards the peak! If you like challenges, I recommend doing this going up to Mailbox Peak.

Amazing view but it’s very hard!!

Hard incline all the way up on the old trail but a great climb and physical challenge.

Climbed 6/21/20 - arrived at the parking lot a little after 8am and was able to find parking no problem, but it was pretty overcast and drizzling. I would expect the parking lot to be full by this time already if it had been a clear, sunny day. The hike was a calf burner for sure. I was doing this solo as a conditioner hike, so I just kept pushing through, but there are spots on the trail to pull to the side for a break if needed. I wore my Merrell trail gloves, which were perfect for the route, but be weary it does get pretty muddy and slick, which isn’t so much of an issue on the way up, but you’ll definitely want to watch your footing if you’re coming back down old trail as well. I probably wouldn’t recommend regular tennis shoes with no tread. I brought a trekking pole, but didn’t use it either on the way up or down, however most others on the trail were using them. Make sure you bring plenty of water. I had a 3L camelbak and a 16oz Nalgene - finished off the Nalgene and drank at least half my camelbak. I didn’t bother to bring much food, just some power bars, which I ate one of at the summit. Not much of a view on this day because of the cloud coverage, but as mentioned I was using this as more of a conditioning hike, so I was happy with the trail not being as crowded as it normally is on a nicer day. Took me 1:45 from car to summit and 2:05 round trip (time paused for about 10 minutes at the peak). All-in-all this was a great hike/workout. Would recommend for anyone with a decent baseline level of fitness and who’s looking for a challenge. I’ll definitely be going back on a clearer day to take in the views.

Definitely 5 miles one way

LOVED IT

It was a perfect day for hiking. There were some people on the trail but not too crowded. It took my daughter and myself more than three hours to get up and more than two hours to get down. It is definitely a steep trail with such a short distance requiring lots of work. The peak had amazing view. We found a small amount of huckleberries toward the trailhead.