Mailbox Peak (New) Trail is a 9.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A Discover Pass is required for this trail.

awesome trail need micro spikes and poles

Trail is well maintained at this time. Some trees have fallen over the trail and will need to be removed, but isn’t impeding movement along the trail or hazardous. Trail is steep going up and of course, going down. Bring walking polls. Weather today was raining with evidence of snow below the tree line on the west side of the mountain face 3 miles up. Traction devices are recommended. Once you clear the tree line and cross the Talus field, you will need traction devices due to the exposure on the south face and due to the icy conditions. Expect windy and icy conditions over the next few days as the low pressure system passes through. The mailbox is full at this time. Be sure to drop something off into the mailbox prior to your departure. Sunset during month of January is around 5 pm. Be sure to plan your trip accordingly.

Very steep and challenging hike. The first three quarters of the hike is a fairly steady incline and a number of switchbacks. The last quarter of the trail is incredibly steep and covered with snow and ice. Definitely make sure to bring micro spikes and poles. It’s demanding but the view at the summit is well worth the effort.

Perfect day, awesome view of Ranier, Olympics, Cascades. Fresh snow, ok without spikes to the talus field. Possible to do the talus field to the Mailbox without spikes or poles on the ascent, coming down you will struggle without at least spikes and spend most of the time on your backside. This is a longer hike than as listed, I’ve done the new trail as an out & back twice now and it clicks at ~12 miles/19.5 km. With snack breaks, pictures, spikes on/off this is a 6 to 6.5 hour hike in winter unless you are really humping it.

Did this on 12/21/18. Moderate usage on this day. Didn’t start until 11:45ish a.m. I had on regular trail shoes, sweat bottoms, a couple thin base layers and a thick hoodie, light gloves/beanie, and a daypack with some snacks and about 2L of water. Temperature was high 30s/low 40s for the first couple of hours and I got really warm and was drinking more water than I expected. Once we hit the snow it got considerably colder. My hiking partner had on Nike trainers. People coming down the trail had poles and chains and kept telling us we couldn’t make it to the top without them. We went all the up anyway, just took longer and had to be more careful of our footing. Coming down took a bit longer again due to not having the poles and chains but it was definitely possible, just be extra careful on your footing and take it slow. If I did this hike again during this time of year I would definitely get some chains, but the poles probably not necessary if you’re in good hiking shape. Last couple hundred feet were pretty tough. I drank more water than expected, so not a bad idea to take a little more than you think you’ll need. Oh yeah- the gate at the parking area closes at 4pm. We didn’t make it all the way back to the car until roughly 5pm. They actually waited for us before locking up, but they were not happy about it. I didn’t even notice the 4pm closure sign, so that was my bad.

Plenty of parking as well as a bathroom at the trailhead. The new trail is in excellent shape. Well maintained with maybe one or two downed trees but nothing too cumbersome to navigate around. You WILL need microspikes for the last half mile, from the boulder field to the summit. The trail is well-trafficked enough that the snow is packed and icy.

Arrived early before the sun on Sunday, power hiked up with few moderate pace jogging sections until I reached the talus field. Like others said, spikes would have been great. I was one of those without spikes but did have my trekking poles, that final half mile was a challenge in maintaining traction. But well worth the effort up, amazing views all around and the snow clad trees just made for very good photo opportunities. Was able to maintain a pretty good solid run pace all the way down after clearing the talus field. All in all, just under 4 hours round trip for trail running, considering the 30 minutes up top.

Hiked the new trail out & back. Hit snow at around 3,000 feet. Trekking poles and micro-spikes highly recommended, without them I would not have attempted the boulder field from the tree line to the mailbox. Oh, some we’re doing it without but it didn’t look like fun and too easy to get hurt in my view. Didn’t have great views because of some cloud cover but a nice day, I like this trail, it’s a beautiful hike. This is a long day if you aren’t really humping it, 3½ hours up and 2½ hours down in current conditions. Once you reach the boulder field it’s another ~30 min to the Mailbox. This is a really nice hike, trail is in great shape, nothing really steep except parts of the boulder field. The sign at the gated lot says it gets closed at 16:00, it was open later than that, I left at 17:00 & watched get locked at 17:30 so either park outside the gate or plan to get off the trail by 16:00 or you will get locked in.

Pretty grueling hike. We did the old hike last year and it killed me. I needed to beat this hike, so we did the new way up and down. Took us 2 1/2 up and 2 1/2 down. I remembered the rocks from last time, but I still didn't respect them like I should have !! The rock path will test you. You think you're close, but don't be fooled. Still a lot of work to do. Happy I have it in my rear view mirror. Beautiful sunny day. Could see for miles. Bye bye Mailbox. Glad I finally beat you !!

AMAZING. We took the new trail there and back. It was so beautiful. The last stretch when you get to the rocks is a real test of strength and endurance but the views on top were amazing. It was so clear out today, and we could see all the way to Seattle. Definitely one of the hardest hikes I have ever done, but provides the most satisfaction when complete. Get there early so you can get prime hiking. One of my favorite hikes.

We took the new trail up and the old trail down which I think was the opposite of what we should have done. The new trail while it takes you longer was a nicely groomed trail while the old trail down was hard on the knees and hips with big steps down through root systems of trees. I am not tall so for me some of these steps were rather large.

Next time I would either do old trail up and new trail down or just stick to the new trail knowing it will take longer. The view at the top was amazing and well worth the hike! It was a little icy today but the sun melted a lot of the ice off the summit!

For almost 4K of vertical gain, this trail slope is very gradual. Nice, wide tread the whole way to tree line. The rock steps through the talus field makes navigating to the summit easy. There is snow from about 3800’ up, but is passable without extra traction. Maybe bring a trekking pole for the decent from the summit. Weather supposed to be nice this weekend so I imagine there will be some melting. Views from the summit are dope.

That's awesome at the top with a highly-decorated mailbox, even though my body was emptied.

Long and exhausting. The last 800 ft was tough, will test one’s will power. Otherwise, this hike is highly recommended for the amazing views on a clear sunny day as today.

Very exhausting trail but the view at the top is worth it. The difficulty is mainly in the length and elevation gain, nothing technical here except for some rocky terrain at the end.

My gosh. The view at the top is amazing. I got way too late of a start for someone who likes to ponder for too long at the summit. This resulted in running the entire way back (Takes about 45 min) in the quickly setting sun. Don't be like me; that was terrible, especially when I realized my headlamp was dead. Get an early start and have lunch at the top. Bring way too much water. For some reason, I tore threw 2.5 L very quickly with this hike. The incline (and subsequent decline) are not friendly on the knees, just steep enough that it'll let you know you're working. I would not recommend this hike to someone who is not physically active nor someone who did not hike. It is longer than some and there are plenty of switchbacks. I want to know the story behind the mailbox at the top. It was beautiful to read some of the letters and leave a note for the future.

Finally did it today! I arrived late, around 2pm. Wasn't too difficult going up but I took lots of short breather breaks. I had the hardest time on the rocks going up but going down them was almost worse lol. The view, and the sentimental moments spent at the mailbox, made every footstep worth it. Because I had a late start going up, I was forced to run most of the way down to avoid getting locked in! (Gates close at 8pm!!!) Saw lots of people dressed lightly, but warm as it is super cold up top. BRING TOO MUCH WATER!! :)

great I love

2018/09/15 Saturday (Hiking Date). Best Hike. Last half mile was tough. This hike was deceptive at the end - Two times towards the end of tail I thought the hike was over... only to realize there is more to it. Very good views on the way and at the top. All rocks towards the end for a quarter mile. Good size crowd. Total Miles: 11. Total Time: 7.5 hours. Active Time: 5.5 hours. I definitely go there again.

Hiked this on Saturday. It says it’s 9.8 but my Fitbit logged 13.11 miles. It was beautiful at the top. Wish we had more time to enjoy it hanging out at the mailbox. Will definitely do it again.

Watch out for that last 800'!

This hike is rated as hard which I do not agree with. It is a fairly consistent grade going up and the top is a boulder field, but the trail switchbacks so many times and has stairs built into the rocks for the harder parts that I would recommend this to all levels of hikers. This took my wife and I about 3 hours up going fairly slow and we made it down in about 2 hours. It’s a nice little hike and if you are a beginner just take more breaks. There is nothing technical about this hike.

Total body workout. loved taking the Old Trail up. Cloudy at top but it was still so worth it.

Steep upward trail ending in a short climb over rocks.great view and fun experience.

One of my favorite hiking trails in WA. It's good when you hike with a partner. unlike most of you, my best part was when I was going up the rocks. There's a booklet and a pen inside the mailbox! Don't forget to leave your mark ;) Finally, this trail is not suggested for people who haven't hiked before. It's rated as difficult.

Hiked mailbox this morning. Great day as the smoke cleared and temp was in the low 70’s. I did the new trail which isn’t as steep as the old trail. My tracker said about 6.5 each way. So don’t have 5 miles in your head as you’ll be disappointed. It does get tough when you get to the rocks. That last .7 miles is steep but great views. I didn’t really stop too much and it too me 2.5 hours to get to the top and 2 hours down. Bring lots of water and food.

This hike kicked my ass. Went when it was in the 100’s and it was humid. Went through my camel pack water and two water bottles before even reaching the top. Luckily a guy gave me a water and Gatorade because I had a panic attack and was crying because it was so humid. So yes bring LOTS of water. The hardest part was the last mile going up the rocks and probably coming back down because your exhausted. But the view is worth it. If you’re not in shape or don’t hike I suggest that you don’t do this as your first hike.

BRING LOTS OF WATER LOL

We did today!!!! It was FANTASTIC but EXHAUSTING!!!
We hiked on a new trail and we made it there for 3hours and 30 mins and 3 hours going down. Yay!!

Very solid hike! Many switch backs and increases in elevation. Bug weren’t an issue for me on 8/4/18. If you are out of shape this could get pretty difficult. Last stretch is a pretty steep incline. Go Early. Tons of people arrived in the afternoon. Going back down sucks.

First and only hike I've been on. Very hard for a first timer but was worth it. Bring water and snacks. Also something to place in the mailbox on top.