Maiden Peak from Deer Park Campground

Maiden Peak from Deer Park Campground is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 7.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,692 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail was complete madness. I went yesterday and it really kicked my ass. That being said, it's totally worth it. There terrain changed from forest, to miss forest, to meadows, to wide open mountains, to scrambling up to the summit. It is steep in a couple areas so your calves might burn a bit, but there is so much to look at, you'll have plenty excuses to stop. There are some bugs, but they never bit us. The weather was a bit chilly once you got to the last half mile. So, what this app doesn't tell you is that to get to the summit, you have to kind of go off-trail. I passed by the first peak and then by the time we hit the second one, you can faintly see a very steep path to get up Maiden. There are small rocks mixed with wildflowers. I tried my absolute hardest to not step on any foliage. It was a shame that I was just surrounded by clouds on the top, but I'm sure the view is righteous. BRING WALKING STICKS. Wear a good pair of hiking boots with ankle support. Bring some bug spray. Don't forget to bring a good amount of water and a good jacket. I highly recommend this hike. You will see wildlife, mushrooms, moss, clouds cascading down the nearby mountains, and plenty of views. If you're there on a clear day, you'll be able to see down Port Angeles and the ocean.

Saturday, July 15, 2017