Mad River Trail

Mad River Trail is a 12.7 mile out and back trail located near Entiat, Washington that features a river. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Entiat: Travel northwest on County Road 371 (Entiat Valley Road) to County Road 119A. Take this, then Forest Service Rd #5700 to Pine Flat Campground.

An easy in and out hike. Started late in the afternoon so we ended up camping at "camp 9", or close to it. there is a quick jaunt up to a small spot with a fire pit (might be camp 9), but it didn't have much room for more than a couple of small tents. Ascend up a bit further and you will come to a much larger area that looks like an end point to a forest service road. Plenty of flat sandy spots to pitch tents without a chance of dead tree fall coming down, as it was windy up there. Make sure you water up if need be before the hike up to the site. there is a small stream with good water if using a filter or other method before the campsite. Beware of Rattlesnakes on the trail this time of year. Our group saw several. I would also advise against swimming in the Mad River this time of year as it was exceptionally angry!

The flowers are just starting to bloom. The snakes were out sunbathing. We saw 1 gartener snake and 1 diamond back both on the trail. The spring run off is very high. The weather was terrific though. May 5, 2017

Saturday, August 13, 2016

LOVED this trail. It is a mild August day and my pup and I were out on our weekly adventure! When we first arrived and started it was raining but that did not stop us! Any trails that are next to waterfalls, rivers, creeks or lakes our are favorite, mainly the dog because he always has a place to swim, drink and cool down! I also enjoy taking off my shirt, dipping it the water and putting it back on, great way to keep cool! Although we did not finish we made it up the switchback to the next ridge then turned around because when I'm in the woods I forget everything else, including the time ha ha! Although the parking lot was full we only ran in to one other couple from Cali and they were SO nice, we took the trail out with them and had great adventure conversation. :)

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Monday, May 09, 2016

Caveat: only hiked this trail for 1-1.5 miles. This portion of the trail is very easy and flat. It tracks with the Mad River, which looked slightly flooded from the spring snow run off. We went in early May when several species of wildflowers were in bloom and enjoyed our time. If your looking for mountain top views you'd be disappointed. However, for a nice easy riverside hike it was great.

Friday, September 21, 2012

Car Back Pack Hike Camp 1 Night 4 People

1 hour hike further in early the next day to see a wonderfull high plains meadow

Ranger station visible in the distance to the right when entering the meadow

Trail Scenery Breathtaking:

Meadow worth the extra effort the following day.

Better with a small group of people 1 or 2 with experience.

Return to base camp and vehicles less than half a day.

1.5 to 2 Days