Lower Lena Lake Trail

Lower Lena Lake Trail is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lilliwaup, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,610 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Nice trail in Olympic National Forest up to to Lake Lena. Moderate climb. Dogs are allowed, but be careful not to follow the trail to Upper Lake Lena, it is part of Olympic National Park and dogs aren't allowed on trails in the park. There are several switchbacks which make it a moderate climb. The trail is very well kept and it is BEAUTIFUL! Expect company, it is a very popular trail. You will need a Recreation pass to park at the trailhead.

very well maintained trail. challenging but very worth the hike. I enjoyed myself immensely:)

Fun trail , proper hiking footwear is smart because it’s a very rocky trail.

Amazing!! Had my 6 yr old little guy with me. Hiked 8 miles of this trail. Had lunch on the look out area. So beautiful!!!

This trail was so beautiful.

I've done this hike 3 times at 3 different seasons and even hiking it in the rain today was beautiful. Less people so that was perfect for a Sunday. The trail as always is well maintained. Lena lake was so peaceful in the fog.

Picked a drizzly cloudy day. Rained the whole way up but most of the trail is covered by trees so it wasn’t too bad. Upward incline was very doable. Paused briefly for a snack at the lake then the rain started coming down harder, so we headed home. A nice solid little hike.

Great rainy day hike. For one of the most popular trails in the eastern Olympics it wasn't at all crowded.

Beautiful hike. Lots of switchbacks but the trail was well-maintained. Lower Lake Lena was quiet and serene when we were there. It was very peaceful. Lots of moss, a bit wet and muddy in a few places, but still manageable. The negative is that the restroom is down and there’s no definite time it will be open again.

I did this hike yesterday and had the entire way out to myself. It was serene. Parts of the trail are pretty rocky, and in places it feels a bit more like a creek than a trail. On the way back, I ran into three sets of pars, all who had trekking poles. So if you use poles, this seems to be a good hike for them. My total hike was 6.98 miles because I took the time to cross the raging stream at the far end if the lake. There is a nice waterfall over there. ~ Sherry (not Paul)

Great hike even with the rain. There is a tree down on the trail but it's easy to walk over.

Easy but steady elevation gain up to the lake. Absolutely beautiful and well maintained and built campsites (plenty of sites to camp at lake). the lake is scenic but not flowing, and at the bottom of a rocky steep from the campsites. that made obtaining water a challenge in the rocks and mud, and trying to get water away from the shore moss and dirt/bugs. others complained about bugs. I had no issues but my girlfriend was harassed the entire time by flies and bees. she didn't get stung but she enjoyed fleeing from them and screaming at them. at night, we were the only campers present I believe, but it seemed as if we heard humanlike steps around our tent. at multiple times, we heard something thump, or stomp, then disappear. Perhaps wildlife? Temperatures dropped considerably at night as well. We were also testing a new doubles sleeping bag without a hoodie, so maybe it was just that we were losing more heat than with normal bags. overall, amazing experience and not too sore and we had a lot of fun. it was also great that there are iron fire pits. alot of sites don't allow fires, so it was nice to get a fire going again.

Lots of switch backs at the beginning and middle of the hike, and is very uphill before the lake, before you have to descend down hill, but so worth it. I stopped and had lunch with friends and the lake and even went for a little dip. Bring lots of water and you need a parking pass, which was pretty cheap. We got there at 8 AM and got to the lake at 11 AM. We stopped a few times to take photos and I’m sure we would’ve gotten there sooner, but we took our time. In the morning it was completely dead on the trail but when we were coming down it was packed. Make sure to go early!

This was a busy trail, it leads first to lower Lena Lake where there is beautiful camping around the lake, then to the upper lake where dogs aren’t allowed, and splits off to Brothers. There was a lot of dog poop on the trail, which was disheartening, remember to bring poop bags! Slow and steady incline makes for a very manageable moderate hike. The lake is gorgeous and there is plenty of space on the shore to hang out and have a picnic. Would definitely come back and stay the night.

This was a great hike. Took my daughter and she loved it. Our dog went along and ended up taking a power nap on the way down! The steady incline was not brutal but had to watch out for loose rocks and roots. Even though it was typical PNW weather with grey skies, the lake was still beautiful.

This trail is so worth it for the view at the end! The lake is very beautiful and picturesque. The trail itself to get there was moderate as described but not overly difficult. The way out is completely uphill besides a small portion around mile 1.5 that is flat, but it was not too hard to complete. The multitude of switchbacks makes the journey easier. My family went on a Saturday, and it was busy on the way down only. We started at 8:30 to avoid traffic and it worked, so I recommend that approach. We finished in just under 3 hours, including our breaks to take pictures. Overall, it was an enjoyable hike, and the view at the end was terrific!

Great hike, I didn't think it was overly difficult. I completed it along with my wife and daughters aged 7 and 9. medium traffic on the trail, but it was a Saturday. the views at the top were amazing. I highly recommend this hike.

Do not go on this trail if you are allergic to bees! I was stung through my pants in the way to the lake and the. Terrorized the whole way back with them swarming around my head. The lake itself is very pretty. Nice place to eat lunch and rest.

Really nice hike. Trail was dry. There was a moderate amount of day hikers and back packers going both in and out. Lena lake was beautiful. Comfortable hike in, rocky, but very pleasant. Will do this one again.

good trail and not that hard. the lake is VERY low compared to normal. Great beginner hike.

The hiking trail is a great workout for me and my 11 years old. we both hiked all the way to the lake and it was amazing.

There were quite a few switchbacks, but the view of the lake at the end was worth it, we could have stayed for hours just staring. Plus the water was very refreshing!

Enjoyed the lake view. Trail is well maintained and easy to follow.

Super populated

the trail is very well maintained and while we passed a few people on the way up, it was certainly not crowded at all. we also went on a Thursday-friday trip...may get busier on weekends. we caught a few small trout at the lower lake and it was an incredibly peaceful day. the water is warm and definitely going to bring a suit up next time!

I have done this hike before and loved it! Beautiful scenery, amazing view of the lake. I don't recommend swimming in the lake though. I did last time and it was FREEZING cold.