Lower Lena Lake Trail

Lower Lena Lake Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lilliwaup, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Nice trail in Olympic National Forest up to to Lake Lena. Moderate climb. Dogs are allowed, but be careful not to follow the trail to Upper Lake Lena, it is part of Olympic National Park and dogs aren't allowed on trails in the park. There are several switchbacks which make it a moderate climb. The trail is very well kept and it is BEAUTIFUL! Expect company, it is a very popular trail. You will need a Recreation pass to park at the trailhead.

Hiked 2/12/18 and LOOOOVEEDD it. Would personally rate as easy, but that’s just me. Was a beautiful day and didn’t want to leave the lake.

We hiked this trail on a snowy February day, but when we arrived we only had sun. I'm from out of state, so perhaps this is a rain shadow hike? The trail is very well marked with pit toilets at the trailhead. I liked that the trail ascends very consistently at more or less the same incline. It made it more enjoyable but still enough of a challenge. For a winter hike, bring lots of layers. There was a lot of wind at the top and I quickly added about 3 layers to stay warm. My black lab mutt was shivering, so we had a coat and a backpack for her. When you get to the top down by the lake, the trail continues on the left a ways. Don't try to go right as the trail ends and there are large boulders. The trail only had a few muddy spots. There was a very thin layer of snow at the top. The lake itself is relatively large for an alpine lake. We arrived in the afternoon and had to sit in the shade along the shoreline. The drive to get here is also really pretty since you drive along the sound for a while.

Beautiful way to spend a sunny winter day, steady uphill hike. Busy even on a cold day, better to start early before the crowds. Rocks and tree roots throughout the trail but still a very well maintained trail.

Beautiful Hike !!! Breath taking view of the lake

This trail was beautiful! It was nice and steady, pretty easy hike. The trail was in good shape, just a few little streams to pass over (didn’t even get the boots wet) No mud. The lake is beautiful, especially with the snow. Even for late December there was very little snow on the trail and easily managed. A lot of toe grabber rocks on the way down.

Road was in good condition and there was only very minor snow at the top on 11/19.

This was one the most beautiful hikes I have done in a long time. The lake was amazing!
Highly recommend!

did this trail 4/16.....it kicked my butt....steep switchbacks. (many). beautiful views if the lake at the top. hard on the knees coming down.

Tough terrain at times but worth it. Lake was pretty low.

Best place for a moderately difficult day hike and a great view for lunch!

just awsome

Hiked this today with our 9 year old daughter, and had a great time, although we goofed up and thought the end of the trail was the lookout point. Apparently we were wrong, I guess if you keep going you get all the way to the lake. So kinda sad that we missed out on that. Also do not be fooled by the name! Lol LOWER does not mean it is not high up! Lol. This hike was ALL uphill! and very rocky. But it was a very cool hike. We loved it very much. great work out forsure. I would definatly wear hiking boots because of all the rocks. all in all a great day. Also it's dog friendly, but I would honestly feel bad bringing my pup on this trail, it would probably hurt his paws.

awesome hike, beautiful lake.

Nice lake :)

very easy, dogs loved it.. it's where I met my wife..

Perfect hike for a hot day! We did this hike in about 4 hours and had lunch at the top, and even went for a swim! Water was perfect! Love the waterfall you get to listen to while hiking up the trail.

I love this hike, planning on returning to do upper trail.

Beautiful views of the lake. First half of the trail is all switchbacks up the mountain among dense trees so it is shaded all the way, then you reach a wooden bridge which is the half way point of the hike. The second half of the trail is straighter and there is much more sun coming through. At the end of the hike you arrive at the magnificent Lena Lake. The views are spectacular. You can sit down and relax, taking in the view, or swim if you like; the water is quite cold, however. There is a campground by the lake where you can camp. The last wooden bridge has collapsed but there is still a log lying across the creek. The trail is very popular. A pass is required to be able to park at the trailhead. Road to the trailhead is paved all the way.

My favorite hike all summer, even when it started to pour rain at the beginning of my hike. Its super green, very fresh, moist and misty at parts, lots of moss, cool mushrooms, tons of neat rock formations. It was gorgeous, I felt like I was in a fairy tale with all the lush plant life. The lake was very pretty as well, even on a dreary day. Id love to go again to hit up Upper Lena.

Great first hike of the season. Pathway has some parts that you really needed to watch where you were stepping. There were quite a few people on the path later in the afternoon than in the am. The lake was beautiful! I would love to go camping up there some time. Some parts of the trail were muddy, but easy to pass through. Most of the trail was in the shade as well.