Lookout Mountain is a 8.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Marblemount, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and camping and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.5 miles Elevation Gain: 4,432 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From Marblemount head east on the Cascade River Road for 7 miles to the trailhead, 0.5 mile beyond the national forest boundary (elev. 1250 ft). The trail begins on the north side of the road. Park in the small lot on the road's south side.

beautiful view at the top but the trail is quite overgrown in places and thick with flies. the hike is 4.5 miles up with a view for at most 0.5 miles of that but that view is stunning.

This was a slow and steady hike to the top, but wow it did not disappoint! The view from the lookout is unlike anything we’ve seen to-date. We started our hike at noon on a pretty hot day, but thankfully most of it is shaded and was still comfortable temperature-wise. The wildflowers are still blooming and beautiful. Lots of flies when you stop moving, but we didn’t leave with any bites so it wasn’t too bad.

Great trail. Multiple times we turned a corner and was taken aback by what we saw. Delightful and satisfying views. We combined this hike with Monogram Lake which made for a very nice day. A few bugs and a bear!

Only one other person on trail! Amazing views, must do!

Fantastic. Got all the way to the top, small amount of snow by the lookout. I had it as 5 miles up and took 3 hours with a consistent stride. 2.5 hours down and glad I had poles. Cool and cloudy, no bugs/bees yet, though one area is beginning to be overgrown before the Monogram Lake break. One new blowdown.

Completed on 30th June, 99%.9 %snow free. Overall it's a great hike with stunning 360 views at the top. The switchbacks are steady for the first hour or so, into overgrown bush, back into the forest and then into the meadow. Some sightings of a bear here but I didn't encounter one. First view of the lookout here but it's roughly another 1000ft. Used trekking poles for the first time, game changer! Definitely saved the knees on the way down. 2:45 up, 1:45 down.

**SUCCESSFULLY MADE IT TO THE LOOKOUT** The last mile is extremely steep and snow covered. It was difficult to climb without slipping (we had to self arrest a few times). I highly recommend having trekking poles and/or an ice axe. We also had Micro spikes but they weren’t helpful in this snow. The whole hike took us about 5 hours to complete and the last mile was almost 3 of those hours... after a long and treacherous climb we made it to the lookout and stayed the night! The lookout is very nice with two twin size beds with a 360° view of the surrounding mountains. Sunset and sunrise were absolutely breathtaking! The way down was much faster because we glissaded down the snowy sections, which was very fun!! If you have no experience/don’t feel comfortable hiking in snow I’d recommend coming in the hot summer months when the trail is snow free.

Didn’t make it to the top. Snow covered the trail

amazing view and a beautiful hike!

Friday, August 10, 2018

Beautiful, fun but HARD hike

Monday, July 30, 2018

July 28, 2018: The worst part of this trail on a sweltering July day is the exposed, steep mountainside of the last ~1,000 feet of elevation gain but it's inundated with wildfowers and butterflies so it's not all bad. The forest up til then is not crazy steep for the most part, and quite gorgeous to note. This is a rather uneventful hike, no obstacles or anything crazy to traverse. Snow free. Bug spray is a must or they'll carry you off!

Sunday, June 10, 2018

Hiked on 6/9/18 - snow at about 3 miles kept me from making it to the lookout. The trail was tough to follow and eventually I lost it. In any conditions it is definitely a challenging push - especially the first 1.5 miles. I’ll be back in the summer to make sure to top out!

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Tough climb. Unfortunately hit some snow about 3.25 mi in and didn't have the time to try to navigate the last bit. I'm sure it's a great view. Will have to come back sometime. Also be sure to have with you pants or gaiters for the first meadow at least - it's overgrown and everything is sharp. Oh and trail to the lake is not well maintained relative to the lookout trail.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Great hike. Awesome views.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

hard

Friday, December 26, 2014

I would call hiking Lookout to be strenuous (at least for me) When I was younger I suppose this pretty hike would be a moderate leg burner but not now. This hike is a woodsy climb and then it opens up to a gorgeous summit with terrific views of Little and Big Devil and Eldorado Peak. Great day hike and definitively take the camera.

Monday, October 13, 2014

Very nice steep hike. The views are amazing from through the woods to when you get to the lookout. Was great to watch the sunset and sunrise while staying in the lookout. Gorgeous views of all the peaks but the best was the view of mount baker. Simply no words to describe the beauty of it all up there.

Monday, July 28, 2014

This trail doesn't seem to get as much attention as some of the other trails further up Cascade River Road but the views are gorgeous. To get to those views at the lookout tower is a workout though. After maybe 2 miles there was a section of the trail overgrown with 6 ft tall brush covering much of the trail. At 2.8 miles is the junction with the Monogram Lake trail - head left for the lookout. Another 1/2 mile to the open meadows with the first views of peaks to the south. Stunning views of Eldorado Peak as well as Little Devil, Big Devil, the Picket Range, Baker and more. I could also recognize familiar nearby sights such as Monogram Lake, the Hidden Lake Lookout, and Sauk Mountain.