Little Spokane River

Little Spokane River is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Spokane, Washington that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

paddle sports

Parking available at Indian Paint Rocks Trailhead off Rutter Pkwy.

Remember, no dogs!

Great trail for beginners like me! Clean and fresh air. No dog poop.

It's a good little trail. We saw eagles, hawks, ducks and geese. There is a log across the trail but it wasn't hard to cross.

Nice trail when not flooding season, relatively easy walking trail, beats a sidewalk in the city.

This hike is the lesser known opposite end of the Little Spokane River trail that extends southeast from the Indian Painted Rocks parking lot past St. George's School. The elevation changes quite a bit on the far east of this route near Waikiki Road. The western half is more mellow and slightly more scenic. There are not any amazing viewpoints, but it is a pleasant and moderately challenging hike nonetheless.

Nice easy trail

This trail is one of those that doesn't really blow you away, but it is simple and pleasant enough that you wish you lived right by it and could walk it every day just to clear your head. It is one of the closest hikes to where I live, so it is definitely an easy fall-back if I don't feel like making other plans. That's basically what happened today. I had already done the full Knothead Loop before, so this section of it was nothing new. It was getting too late in the day to go anywhere else, so I decided to get at least a little hiking in, and this spot won out as a repeat.

this was a good place to go hike the trails for beginners and families. there was beautiful views and was very peaceful. there was also friendly people along the way. but not everyone that goes there follows the rules,such as no dogs. cause there was dogs on trail along with going in the water.

its just okay

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Nice trail.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Pretty easy terrain. Beautiful rock formations. No dogs allowed...not sure why.

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

It is a nice little hike. Has beautiful scenery. There is a bit of a detour in the trail that takes you up the side of the hill, which adds some nice variety. I was a bit disappointed though to realize once we got to the end of the trail that the "Indian painted rocks" are actually at the trailhead. And they done really live up to the hype. I can get why they are being preserved, but they almost look like a graffiti done by a couple teenagers. Nice little hike though, great for kids and others who are looking for an easy hike.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Nice, beautiful and easy. It's not a loop, fyi.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Awesome place. Very clean. if you get a chance go float the river. amazing clear and beautiful water.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Great!

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Traveled the path less raveled by! :) loved hiking up the rocks!

Saturday, April 09, 2016

Great. Someone needs to update this hike info. Dogs are not allowed on this trail

Monday, November 02, 2015

At the time that we did this hike, the loop was closed along the river due to fire, so we went to the top and turned around. Looking forward to doing this one again, but this time being able to come down by the river and complete the loop.

Sunday, July 19, 2015

This park is closed as of mid July 2015. There was a fire somewhere along the Little Spokane River recently but I don't know why that would close the park. Anyway it hasn't stopped people going to the park or the river, they just park haphazardly along the road now instead of safely in the parking lot. Hopefully the park will reopen soon.

Monday, June 08, 2015

Did the trail reverse from the Long Lake end back to Painted Rocks yesterday. It was a little hot but always a great walk. We take our kayaks down the little Spokane from Painted Rocks down to Long Lake, lock them up with a cable and lock and then take the trail back to pick up the truck. It's nice to be able to combine a kayak trip and a hike in one afternoon.

Monday, April 20, 2015

A lot of people don't realize that there is an entire loop you can hike in this area. I started off at the trailhead next to the restrooms in the main parking lot on Rutter Parkway, then followed an old unused road for a few miles until the trail narrowed and began to climb. At the top there are some nice vistas of the Spokane River and the mountains beyond. I descended from here along the Knothead Trail and looped back beside the Little Spokane until I reached the painted rocks and the parking lot where i started. I saw several geese and one deer. Total distance hiked: 6.8 miles.

Friday, November 15, 2013

They have several free parking days a year posted and will probably get a discovery pass next year for $30. Very easy hike, but went later in the day so only saw ducks. A few nice views and places to view just off the trail. No real trail markers so will need to explore more next time.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

A really peaceful hike along the Little Spokane River. On Saturday's its usually really busy, but other than that you'll have opportunities to see deer, moose, hummingbirds, bald eagles, butterflies, and several other types of wildlife. Overall a good hike, not too difficult. If you want to get some great views, take the Painted Rocks trail that goes off to the right. Just stay on the road (no longer in use) and it'll loop down back down. Look at my tracks post to get an idea of that hike.

Thursday, March 07, 2013

If you are looking for a peaceful stroll along a well groomed path, then this one fits the bill. There is a hill near the half way point of this out and back, which makes it nice. The hill (such as it is) can make you feel like you got at least some exercise. This trail would be great for families, beginners or someone who needs to de-stress. I want to take it again when the spring bloom hits.... I can only imagine it is spectacular then. With a temp. of 35-40 degrees and having been sunny in the mid-morning, with approx. 70 percent of the trail been shaded, this was as close to a perfect hike as I can imagine.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Took one leg of the trail that is 1.7 miles each way. Nice easy hike with some short elevations. We took all the kids that range in age from 3 to 13 and they easily navigated the trail. There is a bathroom at the trailhead and this area requires the discovery pass. Buy the $30 pass, the ticket for not having it is $99. No dogs allowed.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A really nice nature walk with lots of beautiful scenery. A couple neat old abandoned cabins off of the trail. Beautiful views of the little Spokane river and great marshes. Lots of birds and other wildlife if you get lucky. Early morning and early evening are the best time for wildlife viewing. Don;t forget your Discover Pass for parking. Summer can tend to be a little crowded and even parking can be tough. Winter, has great snowshoeing, providing we get snow.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

My husband and I hiked the Indian Painted Rocks trail that is just North of the Little Spokane River. We went on the trail that leads N out of the parking lot. It was a very easy trail for about 2 miles and then you start to really climb. The climb wasn't too bad though. At the top you can see the river and beautiful mountains. The trail we took was a loop and the way down the mountain was actually pretty steep. We found ourselves jogging/running a portion of the way because it was so steep. We finally got down to the river and we saw several deer laying across the river from us. When we completed the loop we realized that the painted rocks were actually in the parking lot where we had started! They were in the SW corner of the lot. It was quite fun and I plan on taking my hiking partner Deidre out there next!

Sunday, May 01, 2011

Not a bad trail to start on. A quick there and back trail close to Spokane. Many different types of birds, have seen Turkeys and Moose.

Monday, November 01, 2010

I spent my Halloween afternoon hiking along the Little Spokane River looking for treats to photograph.Saw a lot of mushrooms.Got a good photo of a Witch's Hat and also some Witch's butter.Saw a Great Blue Heron but couldn't get close enough to get a good photo but still a wonderful sight to see.Only saw one other person on the trail.