Liberty Creek and Edith Hansen Trail Loop

Liberty Creek and Edith Hansen Trail Loop is a 8.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Liberty Lake, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,374 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

It costs $2 per person to enter the park where the trailhead is located. The path is open to hikers, dogs on a leash, and equestrians. The trail is very well maintained. The first mile is fairly level and good for trail runs. The waterfall is 2.5 miles into the hike, so it's a nice round 5 miles going to the falls and back. Great day hike! The entire route shown is the loop at Liberty Lake WA, it can include a side loop of about 4 miles. - Hiking the loop clockwise (opposite the direction of this guide), you reach the Cedar Grove with a warning sign that the trail is "primitive" beyond that point. Keep on going, it is a disclaimer sign geared toward the casual day walker/hiker. The trail is a regular hiking trail beyond that point. Its not suitable for people out for a stroll in the park, but perfect for hikers. - If going early in the spring or late in the fall, when there is a chance of snow in the waterfall area, hike the loop clockwise (opposite the direction of this guide). The trail up to the waterfalls is steep, so in snow/ice conditions, it is better to be going uphill. Also, Diamond spikes or similar traction device for boots is recommended - along with a trekking pole. In snow/ice pack, continue to go up, the probability of injury increases exponentially trying to hike down steep ice covered inclines.

My husband and I love this trail! We take our dogs all year round to hike it. I takes us about 4 hour to do the whole loop. It's mostly shady and during peak season you will need to pay $2 per person.

recorded Liberty Creek and Edith Hansen Trail Loop

Me, my husband and our two girls(6 and 2) did this trail! Beautiful fall day. Plenty of parking, bathrooms, picnic tables and benches, and a playground! Wonderful space for a day trip, all dogs required to be on leash! We ventured for the waterfall but didn’t make it with the kids. It’s plenty flat with tons of beautiful views of marsh lands and larches in the distance! Would be awesome for a trail run. Super kid friendly, some spots for camping and backpacking along the way once past the “day trip only trails”. Bridges to cross and play on, sounds of the creek the whole way! We will definitely be doing this one again! Excellent! We went 1.5 miles in and turned around after the big wood bridge (after the small rickety one).. Happy hiking!

icy

Excellent trail to hike on a beautiful Autumn day, with patches of packed snow from a recent snowfall but easily navigable. Best to take the trail clockwise so that you're not tired coming down steep rocky scrambles. Plenty of scat along the trail so keep your eyes open and dogs on leash. Look forward to trekking this trail again soon!

Awesome hike! Has a little of everything- creeks, mountains streams, big trees in forest, mountain views, waterfall- loved it! Long but not too difficult, some incline areas. Took us 4 hrs with stopping for lunch at waterfall. Well maintained trails. We went straight t the junction along Liberty Creek trail up to the waterfall then down the Edith Hansen trail to come back. The park is very nice as well. Will definitely do again!

Great fall hike. Clockwise route was nice. Watch for bears!

We did the loop counter clockwise. Fairly easy at the start with a good climb to the falls. Nice bridges, and scenery most of the way, towards the top there is quite a bit of dead growth. We headed up still after the falls and then a turn at the top gives you a small grade at first leading to a pretty steep grade for awhile. We did encounter a bear on the downhill section so be aware.

This trail has a short area with a fairly good climb. It was an overall pleasant hike but it’s not one with great views of the lake. We were told to go clockwise by a ranger, this proved to be good advice as it was a steady climb to the top. They had an August bear sighting, I’d bring spray in the summer. The small waterfall at the top was my favorite.

Good loop hike. Going clockwise you’re next to a creek for a while and then there’s a fairly steep climb to a waterfall. A lot of folks turn back here as the ascent is much tougher than you’re expecting. However once you’re past the waterfall the rest of the loop is pretty relaxed. I do enjoy the hike but there’s often no big payoff. Surprisingly there are not many opportunities for views. The waterfall can be cool but after the beginning of summer it’s basically a trickle. Can be very buggy and muddy but on the plus side it’s shaded almost the whole way. Surprisingly I have never really seen any wildlife to speak of. Has gotten much more popular in recent years so go early or on a weekday if you want to avoid the crowds.

Beautiful trail!

We went counter clockwise to get the super steep part over with first. Then came down on switch backs to the creek and waterfall and followed the creek out in the woods. Good hike. Lots of bugs!

Nice tree coverage - not much of a view. Diverse vegetation and not too many people on a weekday. Stick to the longer All Trails route to rejoin the (not the little leg we did that is considered a maintenance trail and is quite overgrown, unless you want a grasslands experience

This is a beautiful trail. We saw lots chipmunks and a deer about five feet away from us. The trail follows the creek and there are side trails to walk down to it. Once you pass the bridge where the trial splits it gets a little harder. But not to bad. I would say it is moderate. Kid friendly. Definitely recommend it.

The trail was awesome, nice breezy morning. trail was well maintained. Some great views and a nice little waterfall. Saw some Deer.

Well maintained and signed trail. Wonderful cover on hot summer days. The first time I tried this trail it took me 4.5 hours with a lunch break by the 2nd waterfall. Second time was about 4 hours with fewer breaks. It was a good workout for me. Gets more challenging after the Cedar Grove (switchbacks got my cardio going) and then steeper for a short bit after the 1st waterfall. Just when I was thinking I needed to break again, I got to the top and then its downhill for miles.

Great trail and beautiful scenery. The waterfall was flowing a little and was very neat!

it's not a loop for horseback riding you ride in four point six miles. but can't take the loop on Horseback so we had to ride back out the waterfall was so so not really impressive. on hot days it's a good ride lots of shade .

Great hiking place. I would say it is moderate as far as difficulty. Clear trial, markers, a lot of shaded areas for those hot summer days.

Our family loved this trail. It took us about 4 hrs to complete. But so worth it. Beautiful scenery, loved the changes between nature. Good amount of shade on the trail.

Excellent hike. Well-maintained trails. 9.5 miles total, since we decided to venture up to the cabin. Steep terrain in areas. Took close to 4 hours with stops at several creeks and the waterfall. The waterfall was NOT dried up as stated in a previous review; however there is a smaller waterfall that is dried up. Don’t turn around early. Keep going beyond the dried up waterfall and you will get to the actual waterfall. The bugs were not bad at all. Beautiful views and an overall great and quite challenging hike.

First time hiking this trail. I like to hike barefoot when a trail allows and this trail is great for barefoot hiking. Only a few spots with small pebbles. The waterfall wasn’t that spectacular, but I would hike this trail again for its length, elevation gain and relative ease. Well marked.

The trail is well maintained. The first mile is easy and beautiful for those who aren't yet conditioned for the rest of the moderate hike. For those who are conditioned, the cedar grove, the waterfall, and the cabin are all wonderful waypoints.

Fun hike. Trail is well maintained. We went in mid June and plenty of bugs so remember bug spray. We brought dogs with us and there were places for them to cool off in the creek. Much of the hike is fairly well shaded except for the first mile or so, and the last mile or so. We did see a black bear on our way around the back part of the loop (we went clockwise) which was awesome. Also squirrels, a black tail deer, chipmunks, and birds. The switchbacks up were fun. Definitely a do again.

Waterfall is best in late spring/early summer! Then it becomes a trickle. Bugs are out in force right now so bring the bug spray.

I hiked to the waterfall (which is pretty much dry!) with my dog today, June 12. It’s a beautiful trail, mostly shaded along a creek. There were thousands of lady bugs in one section flying around, and quite a few mosquitoes. I still enjoyed it. A few people out, not too many.

We took our boys (4 and 1) on the hike a month ago. They both loved it. Most part of the trail is well-shaded and the switch backs are a lot fun for our 4 year old. We did not make it to the very top, stopped at the waterfall and it was beautiful. Right before we went on the switch backs, there is a nice, open area with many cedar trees for people to regroup. The trail is well-maintained and the signs are easy to follow. It is a family friendly trail.

This was a fun hike! We went until just before the waterfall & then turned back, as we didn’t feel like making the climb up the rest of the way. This was a peaceful, lovely, easy hike to that point 5ish miles with a lot of shade and a well-maintained trail. We will definitely be back!