Learn more

Liberty Creek and Edith Hansen Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(1120)
Liberty Lake Regional Park

Liberty Creek and Edith Hansen Trail Loop is a 8.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Liberty Lake, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,374 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

It costs $2 per person to enter the park where the trailhead is located. The path is open to hikers, dogs on a leash, and equestrians. The trail is very well maintained. The first mile is fairly level and good for trail runs. The waterfall is 2.5 miles into the hike, so it's a nice round 5 miles going to the falls and back. Great day hike! The entire route shown is the loop at Liberty Lake WA, it can include a side loop of about 4 miles. - Hiking the loop clockwise (opposite the direction of this guide), you reach the Cedar Grove with a warning sign that the trail is "primitive" beyond that point. Keep on going, it is a disclaimer sign geared toward the casual day walker/hiker. The trail is a regular hiking trail beyond that point. Its not suitable for people out for a stroll in the park, but perfect for hikers. - If going early in the spring or late in the fall, when there is a chance of snow in the waterfall area, hike the loop clockwise (opposite the direction of this guide). The trail up to the waterfalls is steep, so in snow/ice conditions, it is better to be going uphill. Also, Diamond spikes or similar traction device for boots is recommended - along with a trekking pole. In snow/ice pack, continue to go up, the probability of injury increases exponentially trying to hike down steep ice covered inclines.

Very enjoyable day! got there early so not to many people on the trial! As always beautiful views!

6/29/20 - Nice shaded trail in the woods, well-maintained. The only reason it didn’t get a higher rating is the waterfall was a bit underwhelming and there weren’t spectacular views.

Very pretty trail. It's steep on the way up but the trail is well maintained and the switchbacks aren't too steep. Looking forward to doing it now that I know the different landmarks (the creek to the cedar grove to the switchbacks to the first waterfall and then the second and finally the cabin before climbing back down).

From the parking lot and back it's approximately a 10 mile hike. There are two ways you can go around the loop. The first is the primary trail which most people take. It's's full of switchbacks and steeper sections but Is slightly shorter at 3.8 mi. The equestrian part of the trail is about 4.8 mi and is much wider and full of peaks and valleys. If you take that route on the way up, it will be pretty steep for a couple of miles but then wi'll even out. We chose the primary path. The nice thing about that path is that it follows the river so your dogs can get a drink and is really nice to hear it. I would highly suggest poles if you need those as there are some very steep sections both up and down. Bring bug spray as the trail is heavy with mosquitoes and ticks. Lots of dogs out but they were all on leashes.

Hands down our favorite trail so far! My kids and I recently completed the full loop going counter clock-wise. There are two waterfalls, we saw them both! A good work out. Not too tough a trail but there are some hard spots.

My favorite trail in the spokane area so far. I have only made it to the waterfall before I turned back around.if you go in the spring time it can be a little muddy. If you come after memorial day it is 2 dollar entry fee (until labor day)

Love this trail!! Lush and sheltered almost all of the way with beautiful views throughout! Started at 10:00 and finished at 1:00.

yes the waterfall is not 2.5 miles like it's saying on the man by camp. it is a very beautiful hike.

Nice well maintained trail. Only saw a few groups. Hiked / jogged it. Nice close trail to town.

Great trail and great hike; however, note the waterfall is not 2.5 miles, if you are starting from the parking lot. The waterfall is about 4 miles from the parking lot. If you go as far as the waterfall, it's worth the extra climb, yes climb, quite a bit of vertical past the waterfall, to get to the cabin. We definitely recommend bringing your poles, if you have them. We forgot ours and wish we'd had them. The entire loop was nearing 10 miles total from parking lot (my phone battery died about 3/4 of the way). I'll get a better measure next time.

Great hike last Sunday. First time here. Beautiful terrain and trails were kept up. Some pretty steep uphill in parts. Worth going the whole loop if you can do the inclines.

Beautiful hike! Mud in places and some slick spots. Skeeters are out in force!

Good Trail only thing make sure you check your dogs for ticks my dog had like 3 ticks on him. He is medium size dog on stayed on the trail. Fun trail though

Nice hike! Good challenge for the weekend hiker :)

fee

Great trail! We hiked this on June 3rd. Mostly shaded nice on a hot day! Lots of cool bridges! We took the trail along the creek first and was very steep at points but coming down was quick. The cabin is worth the little extra walk. My Apple Watch mapped the hike out at about 9.5 miles from the car and back.

This hike was beautiful!! We hiked on Sunday 5/31 in the afternoon, just after the rain. The trail is mostly shaded and covered but wasn’t too muddy. We took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up walking over 10 miles (a little over 4 hours). But it was such a beautiful day. Would definitely do it again!

Great hike! Shaded 85% of the way so it was ideal on a hot day with a black dog. There were lots of cars in the parking lot but we didn’t cross paths with a ton of people. We turned around at the switchbacks before the waterfall since it was my dogs first hike of the year and he was getting tired. My Fitbit says we did 6 miles!

A solid 8-10 mile hike with a clean clear trail (for the most part) a couple spots got thick but the trail was still easy to follow

Great dog friendly trail with beautiful views!

Went last week on a rainy day, phenomenal hiking conditions. We went from the trailhead at the park to the Cabin up at the top, even hitting a few geocaches on the way. All in all, a great 10-or-so mile hike. We plan on going back soon.

Loved this location! We didn’t do the full loop as we had 4 kids with us. We went to the waterfall and back. It was a good ways. My phone died so only got a some of the recording. But my husband tracked the rest. Almost 8 miles. Loved the challenge and was definitely sore after since I was wearing my 23 lb baby. The first part of the trail was pretty flat and easy but beautiful with spots to take breaks right on the stream. The 2nd part after the bridge was a climb that definitely worked your legs out! It was beautiful and covered so very nice throughout. Ready to go back!

A very crowded hike. First part is a slow ascent and then after the bridge it gets pretty steep and the trail narrows quite a bit. Some great views! The view on the way back was a little less exciting, but a lot less crowded.

Don’t go on this trail if you are concerned about social distancing. Otherwise very nice hike

Beautiful Hike!!

This is a challenging hike. If you go up the equestrian trail first, it will be basically straight up for over a mile, followed by a flat walk to the waterfall. I took the hiking trail up and it was just a bunch of switchbacks to get to the top. I think that’s actually more difficult. There wasn’t really any vistas or views, but the waterfalls were cool.

This trail was beautiful. We hiked it on May 9, 2020 and the weather was perfect. There’s no snow on the ground and very little mud. It was fairly populated the first three and last two miles, but the rest of the trail was nice and quite. I’m not sure why all trails says it’s only 8ish miles. We didn’t deviate much from the map and wound up with 10.7 miles hiking clockwise. There are some very steep sections after you pass cedar cove and the top of the trails (about 5 miles in clockwise) is disappointing, but the views up and down are really nice. If you want a nice, easy hike I recommend turning around at the cove, but if you want a good workout, follow the map. We stopped at Hughs cabin for lunch. It was really Peaceful and a nice stopping place.

Gorgeous hike. love the sound of the water throughout the hike. very aesthetically pleasing. quite long, especially the path to get to the actual trail from the parking lot. quite steep in some areas as it overlaps with Mica Peak but overall, not too difficult. we went off track and ended up doing the mica peak trail and then this one. was a long day