Liberty Lake Loop Trail

Liberty Lake Loop Trail is a 8.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Liberty Lake, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

It costs $2 per person to enter the park where the trailhead is located. The path is open to hikers, dogs on a leash, and equestrians. The trail is very well maintained. The first mile is fairly level and good for trail runs. The waterfall is 2.5 miles into the hike, so it's a nice round 5 miles going to the falls and back. Great day hike! The entire route shown is the loop at Liberty Lake WA, it can include a side loop of about 4 miles. - Hiking the loop clockwise (opposite the direction of this guide), you reach the Cedar Grove with a warning sign that the trail is "primitive" beyond that point. Keep on going, it is a disclaimer sign geared toward the casual day walker/hiker. The trail is a regular hiking trail beyond that point. Its not suitable for people out for a stroll in the park, but perfect for hikers. - If going early in the spring or late in the fall, when there is a chance of snow in the waterfall area, hike the loop clockwise (opposite the direction of this guide). The trail up to the waterfalls is steep, so in snow/ice conditions, it is better to be going uphill. Also, Diamond spikes or similar traction device for boots is recommended - along with a trekking pole. In snow/ice pack, continue to go up, the probability of injury increases exponentially trying to hike down steep ice covered inclines.

Excellent trail. Came out in mid-April, missed a sign to go right over the small bridge and instead went onto a dense, primitive trail. Came back the next week to do the REAL hike and loved it. The switchbacks are definitely a good workout but payoff in beautiful waterfalls and some lake views. Highly recommend while the water is still running strong.

This hike is beautiful! Nice sun to shade ratio! Little walk off to get close the water and take a break but the trail was easy and I know my 8 and 4 year old would love it!

Great hike. Well maintained trail. Not exactly easy as the switchbacks past the Cedar Grove are steep. My 9yo led the way all the way to the waterfall and back down. Only grumbled about being tired during the last mile before reaching the parking lot. Beautiful view of Liberty Lake area and the waterfall.

great hike,, but at the 2.5 mile sign is wrong i think seemed a little longer then that,,bit great views ,well with it.

Was about a mile from parking lot to the start of the trail. Toughest part of hike was from the lower falls to upper falls. Lots of people walked in to lower falls and then back but I continued around the whole loop. The end of the back loop was steep. I took 2 20oz bottles of water, should have taken at least 3. Beautiful hike along water most of the way and well travelled.

Walked the loop counter clock wise a lot of friendly people on the way. Not many take the whole loop most go straight to waterfall and back not much traffic on the horse trail. Which many people said going counter clock wise you were going to “earn it” along the way. Took 3 hours to go this way and take breaks. I would not take this trail any other way other than counter clock wise unless you were going for a walk with little ones or just a “walk” heavily trafficking once you reach the waterfall. Even saw someone I knew??? And I am not even from Washington.

My husband and I just completed this trail and loved it. From the start of the trail and back it was exactly 7.7 miles according to the All Trails app. Most of the hike is pretty level and easily walkable. The mile or so approaching the waterfall and a little ways past it got steep but was not to difficult. There's no snow on the trail. So many gorgeous little wildflowers and greenery. Nice viewpoint of Liberty Lake at one point. Trail is well maintained and marked and easy to find. Unlike the notes above, it does not cost $2 to get in until after Labor Day so still free. The trailhead is a little far from the parking area Google Maps took us too. You'll walk along some marsh and through a campground before finally getting to the start. Beautiful! Took us about 2:45 to hike the whole loop.

Wonderful, so many different things to see. Even the kids made the entire 8.6 miles.

Really enjoyed this hike! It has almost everything you could possible get in a hike; a waterfall, some climbing, steep uphills, good downhills, switchbacks, boardwalk bridges, awesome views. Horses are allowed on some parts so be sure to be courteous tot them. I would imaging this would be a highly trafficked trail in the summer, especially to the waterfall, but early spring seems to be the perfect time.

Hiked it today, 30 Apr 18. Snow is gone, we went clockwise full loop. Some muddy spots, almost got taken out by 2 bikes on the downhill section after the cabin. Gets pretty steep between the lower Falls and upper Falls. Great hike and the trail is in good shape. Did not see any wildlife and only saw 4 other hikers and the two bikers.

Great hike! You should definitely be prepared to do some climbing on a few of the switchbacks to the waterfall. Loved it!

Beautiful as always!! No ice or snow to be found yesterday.

Still icy 3/29/18 from the waterfall to the top. Overall nice trail and close to home.

Clean, easy access hike. Nice 8.5 mile loop

icy near the top.

Trail was still super icy and quiet dangerous. Made it to the cedars after attempting to climb the switch backs. I’ve always loved this hike, but I have always done it in the summer before. Definitely would recommend spiked shoes. Also, love I can bring my pup!

Good hike. Though I would recommend hitting it in the morning, as it has very little sunshine! Going down the falls was very icey. Would also recommend spikes on your shoes.

Fun hike. Has some good switchbacks with great views of liberty lake.

Amazing trail! Bring some sort of map, there's a few places it's easy to get turned around or off trail.

Enjoyed the 8.5 mile hike yesterday. Still some ice on trail but otherwise a great hike!! Incredible view s and scenery.

Amazing trail. Great views. Walked the shorter loop today. Trail is 90% iced over right now. Highly recommend spikes and trekking poles.

Love this Trail. If you want just a short Loop when you get to the bridge cross it and hike about a mile and a half along the creek. then where the trail forks take the trail to the left and follow the creek back on the other side. should take about an hour. approximately 5 miles round trip from the first parking lot. this part of the hike is easy not much elevation.

One of my favorite go to places. Easy access and well marked trails.
Love the ease into the challenge, Hike begins on a well groomed road then moves into forested scene including an ever present babbling brook.
Hike moves into the incline moving you up to the higher elevations this is the hard work, but so beautiful the effort is fully worth the climb.
Recent upgrades, new trail markers and newer alternate path ending the hike by the quiet babbling brook.

Go on the loop counterclockwise for an easier ascent. Great big easy trail (almost road).
Please clean up after yourself. Pack it in, pack it out. Out house near cabin & Liberty Creek falls.

Took my 5 year old on 2.5 miles of t. Did not make to the water falls - good trail will revisit.

Nice, well designed paths.

Today was my first solo hike and frankly I underestimated your guy's assessment of "moderate". I really forced myself out today because I am trying new things. (Can you tell I am freshly broken up?)
The first part of the walk to the trail head is nice. Not crowded but kind of peacefully populated. Very much a multi purpose park but nicely done. The first jaunt is charming. I noted that the "trail" was big enough I could have just drove my truck. I have a knack for negatives and it was a bit muggy but dusty... idk, really was not feeling it tho.
I came to an area under construction and got a bit turned around. This app was great for that! Finally back on course... or a mule trail... a steep one. Be forewarned that initial change is probably the worst of it... at least to the falls. But yeah, I was not expecting such a vertical climb. Doable for sure but I wouldn't take the younger kids really. I am sure some family's are skilled enough tho.
This is not a great view point hike. I haven't hiked a lot but I am gonna tell you now if you want stunning views... ehhh. 2 star maybe. Honestly, Do not expect anything that you didn't see in the pics on the app.
However, if you take out your head phones and just start to listen... it's so nice. You can hear the creek for most of the trek, several birds and chirpy bugs... you will see many things scurry about. I heard a cougar roar... it was a plane, but it actually did get remote enough that I had the "oh shit I am alone" feeling as you feel the temperature drop and the trees thicken. It's a rigorous climb.... at least it was for me. By the time you get to the waterfall you will literally sit your ass down on the bench and think "the hell?".
Stay for a minute. It grows on ya.
At this point I realized my phone was low and frantically started clearing apps and closed the map for the app. That paid version might actually be even more useful with download options (I am not even being paid to say that). I thought I would brave the back half on primal instinct. Took one look up at the continuing trail and accepted my reality lol. I am not that brave yet... but honestly, my mood had improved enough that the walk back was just as enjoyable.
Being my first solo trek... well... I have had a lot more disappointing firsts in my life. I kinda want to try to go the full loop and take more of the side trails so I am sure I will find my way back.

I've done the full loop many times and it's great. I'd say a good bit of traffic but not too much. It's a great trail and well maintained. If you bring a bike there's a good bike of walking past the Cedar Forest but the down hill on the way back its great!

the other reviews are pretty accurate except that even though there were others it wasn't crowded. the shade from the trees made it a nice temp but there were lots of mosquitos. seriously, I wasn't picking them off me constantly. the trail is well maintained but there aren't many signs along the way so it's hard to keep track of where you are at and how far is left. the pay booth has trail maps that they hand out, if you need them.

Great trail, very well groomed and easy to navigate. Only downside is there are very few places to get a picture of the valley and lake because the trail is mostly in the trees. Would definitely do it again!