Lewis River Falls Trail

Lewis River Falls Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cougar, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Please check conditions on park website to see up-to-date road and trail closures. There is a permanent detour around Middle Falls, the trail slid and is impassable between Lower and Middle Falls. All of the trail behind the detour is closed to all uses. Detour routes thru Middle Falls parking area. Possible to make a 7-mile loop hike, out and back along this 3.5-mile long trail touring the three colossal waterfalls on this trail. Park by the restrooms. A gravel trail sets off; take a right-hand fork to heard to an overlook of Lower Falls. Continue on the riverbank upstream, ignore all left-hand forks, after half a mile the gravel path turns to duff. After another mile, cross a footbridge; you can take a left here for a half-mile loop to Copper Creek's other waterfall, which you may save for the return trip. Continue along the Lewis River past Middle Falls to Upper Falls; the final 0.7 mile of the Lewis River Trail passes humble Taitnapum Falls and follows Quartz Creek to a bridge on Road 90. This is a section of trail no. 31 that starts at the Lower Falls Recreation Area. There is no cell service there.

42 seconds ago

Went off hours, late afternoon on a weekday, and had the place almost to myself. Can get packed on weekends.

The drive there was very bumpy. Take a suv or truck. The way down to the waterfall is a bit tricky. We went on a Saturday afternoon and it almost looked like we were at a water park FULL of people, everyone was nice and minded their own business, so we didn’t really mind that. Great swimming spot for kids. We took our 2 year old and she LOVED it.

If you are coming from southern washington the road to get there will say closed about 3-4 miles from the trailhead. We drove past the road closed signs and came to a giant pothole in the road that no cars could get around (jeeps or trucks could make it) so we had to park and walk about 2 miles to the trail, being chased by bees the whole way. Not fun. But the lower waterfall was gorgeous and good for swimming, and I will be going back! Next time we will go around to enter from the north side to avoid the potholes and bees.

The waterfalls are worth the drive and hike!

So glad I got to see it BUT the road to get there washed out and we were detoured thru hood river Oregon to get home! Literally took us an additional four hours to get back to I-5.

Beautiful upper and lower falls and the middle the falls isn't too bad either. It was in the 90s but felt cool in all the trees.

so worth it very good for photos

Hiked 7/17: NFRD 90 is full of dips that u won’t see but will hear the bottom of your car scraping the pavement- 30 mph max! Hike: need a NW Forest Pass....well marked trail with Lewis River right next to you almost the entire way up to Upper Falls. No bugs and only saw 2 people on the way in. Great hike for a hot day!

Forgot to clock out of my recording so it recorded a bit of the drive out!
It was a beautiful clear day and we ended up dipping into the water. We arrived at lower Lewis and didn’t realize we could hike up to see middle Falls and upper Lewis. I highly suggest doing so, middle Falls was one of my favorite stops just because it wasn’t nearly as crowded as the lower Falls!
Great hike and would do it again!

I was here on 7/15/2018.
Gorgeous trail, well worth the drive.
Because I hiked this with a dog, I showed up at about 9:30am to beat the heat. It was pretty cool on arrival. I hiked from Lower Falls to Upper Falls and was back to my car by 1pm. I stopped at all three Falls to take in the view, so the hike could have been much shorter if I didn’t stop for breaks.
Not buggy at all, I even forgot to put on bug spray and didn’t get any mosquito bites.
The trail is well maintained and easy enough for beginners, but fun enough for experienced hikers.

These falls really are a must see. Just go. It’s an easy hike with decent mileage and views you won’t forget.

The road to get here is packed full of pothole-like dips, so take it slow. Also, a part of the road is all gravel. I drove a Prius and it did just fine, but I did need to take it slow.

My favorite falls of the trio is the lower falls because they are spectacular and offer great swimming options. The middle falls were very beautiful. I especially liked how the water ran over the top of a rock outcropping that was only an inch or so deep. Very beautiful!

This is truly one of my new favorites. Trail was awesome and in great condition! Went straight to the upper Falls, had lunch and a refreshing dip in water-less people at the upper Falls-so glad I read the reviews to go there. Returned back where son swam in the middle Falls. Breathtaking scenery.

Lower Lewis Falls is one of my favorite places to camp! Unfortunately the pit toilets are horrible! On the other hand, it is a great base camp to explore the Mt St Helen's area. There are several waterfalls in the area.

My wife, and I hiked the trail to the middle, and upper falls last week 7/2/18. It is a beautiful hike. We like to pack a lunch, and eat at upper falls. What a gorgeous place. Safe for the whole family.

Beautiful trail. 1st time to upper falls and it was amazing. Have hiked to middle many times, glad we pushed on to the end

Definitely beautiful and worth walking to all three falls. Trail starts in a campground so its pretty crowded. It is a very easy trail great for kids and pets.

One of the best trails in the park

One of my favorites for sure!

Amazing place!!! All trails open however ROAD 25 to trailhead was closed. Take ROAD 23 to 90 if coming from east!!
Lower falls are the most impressive but don’t miss on upper falls. Definitely worth a hike

trail to middle and upper falls were closed today. Bummer. But the lower falls is so beautiful.

Holy cow that was amazing!! Definitely worth makeing it to the upper falls

A beautiful hike! Easy trail to follow and not hard at all. Beautiful views of Lower, Middle, & Upper Falls. Be careful by the overhanging rock face part of the trail as it seems rocks fall often in this area. Other than that the trail is very safe.

Loved the falls in the spring the water is running. Great time awesome Falls.

Trail was well maintained and absolutely gorgeous. I’m new to hiking, and really out of shape but with breaks on the hills i managed to middle falls and back. Couple muddy spots but no issue getting through/around them. Absolutely worth the hard work to get there!

Beautiful falls. Trail was nice.

Beautiful!!!

Beautiful old forest

Fun trail to walk, and great view!

AMAZING HIKE!! I wouldn’t call it a moderate trail unless it’s referring to just the distance. Nice general grade for the most part but well worth it. Will go back in the warmer months for some swimming, there are some great pools I’d love to jump into.

By far the best hike I have ever been on, hands down!! Some of the biggest and most beautiful waterfalls around. I will recommend this hike to everyone from now on! Amazing!!!

Waterfall payoffs every couple miles plus a birch forest, lots of forest to explore and very quiet in January. Will be back.