Lanham Lake Trail

Lanham Lake Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Leavenworth, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,122 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Lake Wenatchee: Take State Route 207 south, then U.S. Highway 2 west to Forest Service Rd #6960 (Mill Creek Road). Watch for the trailhead on your immediate left.

Absolutely unreal experience. I had the trail to myself today after a fresh snow. The lower half of the trail has a dusting to 2 inches of snow on it. The upper trail has 4 to 8 inches. The snow-capped mountain and trees reflected on the flat calm lake and produced an unforgettable image. Highly recommend.

Great 2hr hike. easy parking and babbling brook at entry is awesome. Short with steep slope. worked well for a large group. We enjoyed it first week of October. fall foliage views and awesome lake view with snow capped mountain. dynamic scenery. Recommend wearing layers and pants. Be careful for slick spots.

This is a wonderful little hike that you would want to spend some time on. It took about 45 minutes for me to get to the lake the first time and about and hour the next. I recommend taking in the scenery even if it makes your hike a little longer. I sat by the lake for about 2 hours my second time up just hanging out and watching the fish jump. Getting around the lake is a bit difficult and requires some squeezing through bushes, but it's worth it for the different views! Would recommend to anyone!

Dang!!!! At the trail head the sign states that the incline is “moderately steep”.......is hate to see that persons idea of strenuously steep! Ok, it wasn’t THAT bad, but is steep most of the way. When you get to the PowerLINE road, take a RIGHT and look for the rock stacks marking the trail. The lake was beautiful, and SWARMING with bugs. The fish loved that! They were jumping all over the place. I enjoyed the workout. It felt longer than 1.5 miles to the lake......but that’s the elevation gain messing with you!

First 1/4 mile is steep. Definitely not recommended for young children. Once you reach power lines, trail continues on the other side of the lines...look for the stacked rock trail markers. Trail was clear of blow down. About 1 mile in, the trail is muddy in spots and very overgrown for a stretch until you are back in the timber. Once you reach the lake, go left across the stream and there is a nice spot to enjoy the lake and the beautiful views of high peaks and alpine meadows. Fish were jumping and even saw an Osprey perched on the far side of the lake. Return trip took about 1 hour.

Short but good workout. little bit confusing to find trail at the beginning

We did this trail 12/08/18. Beautiful beginner trail to practice snowshoeing with little avalanche danger and nice lake at the top.

Sat Jul 14 2018

PROs: 1. Payoff - the view at the lake is beautiful and worth it in my opinion (not worth it in my husbands opinion - he hated this hike). The foliage on the way is also quite lovely. 2. Solitude - we hiked on a Saturday morning (8:30 to 10:45) and never saw a single person on the trail or at the trailhead. 3. Beat the heat - trail is shaded almost the entire way and the temp was 10 degrees cooler than in Leavenworth when we were there. CONs: 1. Two thirds of this hike are a straight up climb. Yes, seriously. 2. The entire trail is swarming with mosquitos. We wore permethrin-treated clothing and picaridin and were still harassed the whole way, so be prepared to fight for your life. 3. There are large sections of this trail that are almost completely overgrown, so if you hate bush-whacking (like my husband) then this may not be the trail for you.

Wed Jul 04 2018

It’s almost 2 miles each way and it’s not very easy. Nice trail and the lake is very beautiful. Once you reach the lake go to the left and and pass the creek to access the lake and for a better view.

Sun Jun 24 2018

Fun but moderately strenuous hike! There’s some exciting stream crossing, log walking, and overgrown areas. But there’s no more snow! Still some mud, recommend waterproof shoes and maybe a stick to help you get past the narrow prickle bush sections. Lake is beautiful but still a little chilly, very relieved I brought a jacket to put on once I was there.

Sat Jun 09 2018

Fab hike but not easy! Not recommended for kids. The way up is intermediate/hard because it’s a lot of ascending and the trail isn’t always obvious. But keep looking at the map for the right direction when you feel a bit lost and you will easily find the trail back again (after battling some bushes, going over logs or stepping over small water streams - it’s an adventurous one!). Park your car at the huge parking lot from where you can see a building/Nordic centre, you can find the trail opposite it where the road goes up a bit. After some forest you will reach a hilly area which has a huge power tower which feels a bit scary - ascend up the hill where the tower is, pass underneath it, and continue the trail into the forest. Then it is mostly ascending through the forest. Bring water! It’s tough but fun (keep the lake at the end in mind!). We had some snow about 3/4 in, but it was mostly compact and we managed in trainers and careful walking. It took us 60 min to get to the lake. When you reach the lake you can find some logs (at the bottom!) of the stream to pass it for better views. The way down (same route) is a lot easier. Really enjoyed this hike and would recommend - but don’t expect an easy stroll! :)

Sun Jun 03 2018

Nice hike! I definitely wouldn't rated as easy though. Little bit of snow on the trail but easy to follow still. Beautiful lake, so worth it.

Mon May 28 2018

I saw this hike on the app just as I was losing cell signal. The trailhead is not easy to find but it's directly opposite the Nordic Center building. After a short jaunt in the forest, I ended up on a service road and then underneath a huge powerline tower that audibly buzzes. Looked for neon-colored plastic flags to help you find the trail. Back under the trees, snow covered the trail for most of the remainder of the hike, sometimes several feet. Because of that, I lost the trail several times but eventually re-joined the path. Lots of downed trees around the lake made it tough to move around the shore but it's quite a spectacular view. Maybe, it's easier when the snow is all melted, but I would not rate this hike as EASY. It was satisfying though.

Tue Feb 13 2018

Started hiking this trail from the Nordic center. The first 1 mile or so feels like you’re going straight up. There is still a lot of snow which most of it is compressed. I was able to do it in regular hiking shoes. As my gf and I arrived to the lake, it was frozen over! We were able to walk over it, but it felt risky. Anyways, overall good short hike!

Fri Dec 29 2017

Our first snowshoe trip with our family. Even though it was overcast, it was beautiful. We arrived early and were the first on the trail.

Sun Dec 17 2017

Good 2.5 hour snowshoe in and 1.5 hours back. Signage good but mainly followed the trail footprints. Not many people there today. Nice view of the lake and mountains at top.

Sat Sep 30 2017

Nice, intimate and charming trail. Very light traffic; we were the only ones there that day. Got caught in heavy rain, but it was still a good hike and view of the lake.

Sat Jun 24 2017

There's still snow covering sections of the trail after you cross the power line road, but very passable in just boots.

Sun Jun 11 2017

It was a challenge for me could not make it all the way up due to ice. Beautiful scenery. Would do it again.

Sun Dec 11 2016

Excellent snowshoe trail for short winter days.

Thu Jun 09 2016

The hike was amazing. You start almost immediately with the incline and it keeps going. My fit bit registered about 115 flights of stairs. The views were amazing, but the water level was high, so we couldn't get out on the shore. It was still worth the hike. Definitely one I will do again in the future.

Thu Jun 20 2013

Awesome Hike. My favorite high lakes hike ever. Very nice lake with great views and a nice hike.

Sat Sep 08 2012

Views were not that great durring late summer.