Lake Valhalla Trail

Lake Valhalla Trail is a 11.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Skykomish, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Lake valhalla us great. Went via Steven's Pass this year, which I don't recommend. It is much better to come in from the north from the Smithbrook trail head.

Hiked in 7/29, out 7/30.
Trails conditions are great, the terrain is pretty easy with not many root/rock steps. We snagged a small camp spot that fit our 2 person tent perfect, but it was on a little bit of a slope which had us sliding down in our tent in the middle of the night, but we just laughed it off. The lake felt amazing to go for a swim in.
Bring bug repellent.

Valhalla makes for a nice camping spot. From Stevens Pass to the lake, trail is in good condition and was very moderate. The trail leads you through forested sections alternating with a couple meadows where not much is flowering yet but are beautiful just the same. The first meadow you come to from Stevens Pass side has a beautiful campsite and there is a nice spot at the next meadow too. Several areas at the lake are closed for restoration (which of course jerks are using anyway, this is why we can't have nice things people) leaving a gorgeous day use area and 3 large campsites (no fires at the lake). There was a ridiculously noisy bunch of kids occupying the center site on the Tuesday I visited. If it hadn't been so late already, I would have hiked on, but I guess one of the good things about no campfires is that people go to bed when it gets dark. I considered scrambling up McCausland in the morning but decided it looked like a PITA so I didn't.

This is my favorite trail to hike. I take the Stoneybrook trail to the PCT then to lake Valhalla. I typically hike it at the end of july so I can eat fresh huckleberries on the trail. Today I went and boy was not expecting all that snow, but I made it and the views did not let me down.

Great view at the top. Very isolated from society.

This was a very nice hike my husband and I did, not too easy nor difficult with lots of changing scenery. We packed a lunch which we ate at the lake.