Lake Valhalla Trail

Lake Valhalla Trail is a 11.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Skykomish, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

good day hike, broke half of the trail in two-three feet deep snow to the lake.

Fantastic trail it is part of the famous PCT . The lake is beautiful !

The most amazing thing I’ve seen in nature! The snow everywhere around the lake was beautiful. Stunning scenery.

Came in from the Smithbrook side. Absolutely stunning.

A nice camping destination. I hiked in from the Stevens pass trailhead which I guess is the longer way. The trail is a walk in the park though and nice for a quick overnight. Campsites are close together and limited. Plenty of places to hang a hammock. Dogs on leash please. Lake is pretty. This area is heavily used though and busy on summer weekdays.

I did this trail on Labor Day weekend with my family and two dogs. One was a young basset hound. This was my first backpacking trip ever. I am admittedly not in good shape so it was difficult for me. I have to say it seemed very easy for experienced hikers. We spent the night and headed back down the next morning. It is beautiful and well worth the experience. As I become more fit I want to do this trail again. You may have to share the trail with a few horses. I found that part to be amazing. My walking sticks and water filter were my best friends.

Lake valhalla us great. Went via Steven's Pass this year, which I don't recommend. It is much better to come in from the north from the Smithbrook trail head.

Hiked in 7/29, out 7/30.
Trails conditions are great, the terrain is pretty easy with not many root/rock steps. We snagged a small camp spot that fit our 2 person tent perfect, but it was on a little bit of a slope which had us sliding down in our tent in the middle of the night, but we just laughed it off. The lake felt amazing to go for a swim in.
Bring bug repellent.

Valhalla makes for a nice camping spot. From Stevens Pass to the lake, trail is in good condition and was very moderate. The trail leads you through forested sections alternating with a couple meadows where not much is flowering yet but are beautiful just the same. The first meadow you come to from Stevens Pass side has a beautiful campsite and there is a nice spot at the next meadow too. Several areas at the lake are closed for restoration (which of course jerks are using anyway, this is why we can't have nice things people) leaving a gorgeous day use area and 3 large campsites (no fires at the lake). There was a ridiculously noisy bunch of kids occupying the center site on the Tuesday I visited. If it hadn't been so late already, I would have hiked on, but I guess one of the good things about no campfires is that people go to bed when it gets dark. I considered scrambling up McCausland in the morning but decided it looked like a PITA so I didn't.

This is my favorite trail to hike. I take the Stoneybrook trail to the PCT then to lake Valhalla. I typically hike it at the end of july so I can eat fresh huckleberries on the trail. Today I went and boy was not expecting all that snow, but I made it and the views did not let me down.

Great view at the top. Very isolated from society.

Wednesday, November 09, 2016

This was a very nice hike my husband and I did, not too easy nor difficult with lots of changing scenery. We packed a lunch which we ate at the lake.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Great hike. Beautiful lake in the middle of no where!

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Gorgeous! A little longer than I expected but what a beautiful hike, moderately steep in place.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Gorgeous! Bugs minimal. Water warm. Trail great!

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Amazing.

Monday, March 28, 2016

I did this years ago, but I still remember the beauty. We came in from Stevens Pass. It was work, but worth every bit of it.

Monday, January 25, 2016

Great hike, can be very crowded, mosquitos are thick in the summer months.

Thursday, June 25, 2015

loved it. Great seeing through hikers on the PCT stop for a bit.

Sunday, September 07, 2014

Great hike. The trail is well maintained with no major obstacles. It took me 2:45 from Stevens pass to Valhalla. From there I made camp then explored the area. I ran into two PCT hikers who are maybe ten days away from completing the hike from Mexico.