Lake Valhalla Trail

Lake Valhalla Trail is a 11.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Skykomish, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Amazing experience. Will visit again.

Super fun, but busy hike. Parking was a mess and there was a lot of people. Beware of livestock as well (keep dogs on leash).

Took the shorter 7mi roundtrip route as other reviewers have noted: Smithbrook trail to PCT to Lake Valhalla, and it was beautiful! Flowers still blooming, nice foliage, big rocks, logs, dogs, and great views even though it was pretty hazy/foggy. Parking was not a problem even though there were quite a few hikers out.

Started the trail at Smithbrook Trailhead. Parking lot nearly full on a July afternoon, but the lake was uncrowded. Trail is nicely switchbacked and the elevation that you gain on the way up to the junction with the PCT goes quickly and easily. The lake is spectacular. We had lunch on a large rock situated above the water and could easily see the fish swimming around the logs below. Crystal clear water. Just about a perfect dayhike.

This was such a fun hike. We did the short version that catches up to the PCT. You hit switch backs right away and then get on the PCT for the rest of the way which is nice because you have all of that energy and motivation to get you up the switches and then it levels out and is pretty flat the rest of the way until you do a couple of switches going down to the lake. The lake is gorgeous and pristine. It's clean enough that you could totally drink out of it if you had to but it's always a good idea to use a fitting system of some kind. We used a Bobble water bottle and we're fine. The water is a little cold but after hiking in the hot sun it is a welcomed friend. This lake also features a beach which I haven't seen before at a mountain lake. So if you know of any others that feature a beach let me know! Happy trails!!

Very nice hike. Trail is still fairly muddy and plenty of snow, but completely doable. Mosquitoes are out, but spray took care of them no problem. There was a decent amount of traffic. Unfortunately, a few kids were at the lake, which were quite loud and could have done without that. Views are stunning though. I added Mt McCausland to the hike, which ended up a 8 miles exactly.

We did this hike but from Smithbrook Trail/Stevens Pass. It was about 7 miles round trip, easy moderate level. Had lunch at the lake which was stunning. Only downside was the bugs were out and we got eaten alive despite having on bug spray.

Amazing!!

I love this trail...We hiked it last September and the lake is absolutely stunning! We ate lunch and rested by the lake before heading back. We will definitely go again this year. :)

love this trail , have been there 2 times, but going back just to encourage other people to visit there .

Tried it on Sunday. Awesome sun. But got stopped half way there with chest deep snow! Bring ur spikes or crampons and ur fine.

Camped here on a warm weekend last summer. Good time at the lake

This was a five star day despite our failure to reach the lake. The route from Stevens Pass is my favorite of the two. There was just so much snow to break through as well as a few creek crossings This was one of the earlier snow shoes our group did so some became a little tired. I will finish this hike this season though!

good day hike, broke half of the trail in two-three feet deep snow to the lake.

Fantastic trail it is part of the famous PCT . The lake is beautiful !

The most amazing thing I’ve seen in nature! The snow everywhere around the lake was beautiful. Stunning scenery.

Came in from the Smithbrook side. Absolutely stunning.

Saturday, September 16, 2017

A nice camping destination. I hiked in from the Stevens pass trailhead which I guess is the longer way. The trail is a walk in the park though and nice for a quick overnight. Campsites are close together and limited. Plenty of places to hang a hammock. Dogs on leash please. Lake is pretty. This area is heavily used though and busy on summer weekdays.

Thursday, September 14, 2017

I did this trail on Labor Day weekend with my family and two dogs. One was a young basset hound. This was my first backpacking trip ever. I am admittedly not in good shape so it was difficult for me. I have to say it seemed very easy for experienced hikers. We spent the night and headed back down the next morning. It is beautiful and well worth the experience. As I become more fit I want to do this trail again. You may have to share the trail with a few horses. I found that part to be amazing. My walking sticks and water filter were my best friends.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Lake valhalla us great. Went via Steven's Pass this year, which I don't recommend. It is much better to come in from the north from the Smithbrook trail head.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Hiked in 7/29, out 7/30.
Trails conditions are great, the terrain is pretty easy with not many root/rock steps. We snagged a small camp spot that fit our 2 person tent perfect, but it was on a little bit of a slope which had us sliding down in our tent in the middle of the night, but we just laughed it off. The lake felt amazing to go for a swim in.
Bring bug repellent.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Valhalla makes for a nice camping spot. From Stevens Pass to the lake, trail is in good condition and was very moderate. The trail leads you through forested sections alternating with a couple meadows where not much is flowering yet but are beautiful just the same. The first meadow you come to from Stevens Pass side has a beautiful campsite and there is a nice spot at the next meadow too. Several areas at the lake are closed for restoration (which of course jerks are using anyway, this is why we can't have nice things people) leaving a gorgeous day use area and 3 large campsites (no fires at the lake). There was a ridiculously noisy bunch of kids occupying the center site on the Tuesday I visited. If it hadn't been so late already, I would have hiked on, but I guess one of the good things about no campfires is that people go to bed when it gets dark. I considered scrambling up McCausland in the morning but decided it looked like a PITA so I didn't.

Monday, July 03, 2017

This is my favorite trail to hike. I take the Stoneybrook trail to the PCT then to lake Valhalla. I typically hike it at the end of july so I can eat fresh huckleberries on the trail. Today I went and boy was not expecting all that snow, but I made it and the views did not let me down.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

Great view at the top. Very isolated from society.

Wednesday, November 09, 2016

This was a very nice hike my husband and I did, not too easy nor difficult with lots of changing scenery. We packed a lunch which we ate at the lake.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Great hike. Beautiful lake in the middle of no where!

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Gorgeous! A little longer than I expected but what a beautiful hike, moderately steep in place.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Gorgeous! Bugs minimal. Water warm. Trail great!

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Amazing.

Monday, March 28, 2016

I did this years ago, but I still remember the beauty. We came in from Stevens Pass. It was work, but worth every bit of it.