Lake Serene Trail

Lake Serene Trail is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Bar, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Lake Serene is a alpine lake nestled in the Cascade mountains of Washington State. Lake Serene Trail is a popular hike within the Mount Baker Snoqualamie Forest. The trailhead can be accessed off of Mount Index Road near Stevens Pass. Make sure to get an early start in order to get a parking spot at the trailhead. What the trail lacks in length, it makes up for in elevation gain. The first mile and a half winds across a well manicured and slightly inclined path, at the end of which you can choose to go another mile on Bridal Veil Falls Trail to Bridal Veil Falls or another two miles to the main trail to Lake Serene. The extra mile is certainly worth the side trip to see the falls. One you have returned to Serene Lake Trail, the two miles to the lake traverse a large climb, through a series of long, wooden steps, rocky passages, and switchbacks. Approximately 1.4 miles into the lake trail, you will encounter a very steep grade. Once you reach the lake, you will be rewarded by the stunning blue lake is that is clear, cool, inviting, and surrounded by high ridges and remnants of the previous winter snowfall. Find a spot along this gorgeous lake to eat lunch and take a rest. From the lake, you can also cross a log bridge and take a short trail that will take you to a large, smooth rock named "Lunch Rock", where you will find people relaxing and jumping into the lake. When you are ready, return via the way you came. This is a great hike and a must see destination that will greatly satisfy your sense of adventure and search of natural beauty. A Northwest Forest Pass is required.

I did about 15 hikes this summer and this might have been my favorite. Absolutely beautiful. Went last Tuesday. You start off going through the forest which reminded me a little of the Hoh Rain Forest with all the moss. I decided to hike up to the Bridal Veil Falls first. It was slippery getting up there (used my cross-trainers) as the trail was mostly rock. But the view is incredible. The falls are much bigger in person then the photos suggested. I then continued on the main path to Serene Lake. It was pretty steep in some sections but wasn't as bad as I thought. Mount Si is definitely harder. The trail does get slippery at the end as you get closer to the lake. Lake Serene is incredible with Mount Index behind it. I enjoyed this view way more then Frozen Lake. The reflection and clearness of the water was incredible. After an hour I headed back down. Be careful because the trail is very slippery rock when heading back down. But just an incredible hike with incredible views.

Absolutely beautiful and a lot of fun. Brought my kids age 4 and 6 years- it was a little more than a 4 year old is happy with but my 6 year old was great. I like the uphill on the way out for my kids as it makes coming back easier. The fall colors were great and highly recommend.

The views are great and the lake feels amazing! I went the end of summer, so the water wasn't too bad. I highly recommend! Just beware of the 20,000 switchbacks!!

Not for the weak knee'd but so worth those bouldery 23 switchbacks. I would also recommend seeing Bridal Falls on your way up. It was a beautiful day and this trail will close come Novemeber 2017 for logging so go hike it while you can!

The view was beautiful even though it was cloudy over the opposite mountains... A rain jacket could help as it was raining heavily while going up this Sunday. I will come again on a clear day.

Beautiful place. ready for a rainy day.

I love this hike. I've done it twice in colder weather. Once in winter snow and we could see and hear avalanches across the lake. (Splendid!) It's hard, but worth it. I can't wait to come back and swim in it one summer.

Trail is closed, as of Sept 25th 2017 for logging. I think it is closed until well into 2018.

Love the wet forest at the beginning, the views at the top. bring some good hiking shoes, lot of rocks

Was a decent hike and lake view was amazing. It was very peaceful and quite. It was also really good that it had a fall trail on the side which would take an extra one hour. Highly recommend.

I accepted an invitation to join a few of my friends on September 3, 2017. We left Yakima at approximately 6:30 and arrived at the trailhead at around 9:30 to find the parking area completely packed. We found additional parking about a quarter of a mile from the trailhead.

At the halfwaypoint we decided to take a side trip to see Bridal Veils Falls. It was a half mile of a very vertical hike to get there but very rewarding! We even saw a wedding take place there.
We then completed our hike to the beautiful Lake Serene.
Although this is a very popular hike, it is also a very strenuous one. I hadn't been hiking in years so it was very taxing to say the least as I wasn't conditioned for this.
Insects were not an issue at all even at the lake, though I was prepared with deet.