Lake Serene Trail and Bridal Veil Falls (CLOSED)

Lake Serene Trail and Bridal Veil Falls (CLOSED) is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Bar, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

closed

Closed until July 2018 Lake Serene is a alpine lake nestled in the Cascade mountains of Washington State. Lake Serene Trail is a popular hike within the Mount Baker Snoqualamie Forest. The trailhead can be accessed off of Mount Index Road near Stevens Pass. Make sure to get an early start in order to get a parking spot at the trailhead. What the trail lacks in length, it makes up for in elevation gain. The first mile and a half winds across a well manicured and slightly inclined path, at the end of which you can choose to go another mile on Bridal Veil Falls Trail to Bridal Veil Falls or another two miles to the main trail to Lake Serene. The extra mile is certainly worth the side trip to see the falls. One you have returned to Serene Lake Trail, the two miles to the lake traverse a large climb, through a series of long, wooden steps, rocky passages, and switchbacks. Approximately 1.4 miles into the lake trail, you will encounter a very steep grade. Once you reach the lake, you will be rewarded by the stunning blue lake is that is clear, cool, inviting, and surrounded by high ridges and remnants of the previous winter snowfall. Find a spot along this gorgeous lake to eat lunch and take a rest. From the lake, you can also cross a log bridge and take a short trail that will take you to a large, smooth rock named "Lunch Rock", where you will find people relaxing and jumping into the lake. When you are ready, return via the way you came. This is a great hike and a must see destination that will greatly satisfy your sense of adventure and search of natural beauty. A Northwest Forest Pass is required.

TRAIL IS CURRENTLY CLOSED! There are rangers who hang around the trailhead and up at the lake who will write you a ticket.

Took my mom here.

This is a must do trail. A lot of switchbacks but the climb is relatively easy and the view is amazing. A yearly must do...

Does anybody know when the trail is open again?

TRAIL IS CLOSED FOR LOGGING until August!!!!!

Washington Trails Association update that the trail will be closed through August 31st.

Such a bummer this is by far one of the most beautiful and rewarding hikes!

Harder than expected but not so hard cannot be achieved by a relatively fit person who only occasionally hikes. One key... make sure you have a discover pass or parking pass before getting there as limited parking and place to purchase.

We saw both the falls and hiked up to the lake last fall. When I did this I was relatively new to hiking and it was insanely hard but incredibly rewarding.

Hike to Bridal Veil falls was relatively easy and a great view. Lake Serene was very difficult. Lots of climbing and switchbacks. Definitely a big hike but well worth it.

This was the hardest hike I’ve ever done but was well worth the effort. My kids, 6 and 9 at the time we’re troopers and made the round trip with me. (Late August)

The second half of the hike to the lake is much more challenging than the the bit to the falls. The switchbacks are fast and steep and some of the stones/steps were giant size. A few times it felt more like a scramble up small boulders than actual trail.

We didn’t budget enough time to end before dark so we didn’t get as much time at the lake.

It’s incredibly beautiful and because of the challenge, it’s not as heavily used as other trails.

Amazing! This trail is the same as the bridal veil falls trail. You have to hike up to the falls, then back down to the main path but it is completely worth it. The falls were gorgeous. Up to the falls was easy. The hike up to lake serene was a little more difficult. The elevation gain was tough, it took place among a ton of switchbacks. The change in climate as you get to the top of the mountain was amazing. We saw a Pika at the top of the mountain which was incredible!

Tough hike-- bring water and sustenance and some form of snow traction for the top. A beautiful midpoint helps encourage you through the grueling back half of the trail. well worth the effort. you'll need to hop across some slow moving water.

Leg Day!!! A nice challenge. The journey is definitively worth the destination here! You'll be glad you did this one. Fair warning, the water is freezing cold! Even in July.

Did this in August with some friends and it was so much fun! Definitely recommend starting early because it took us a while, especially since we did bridal falls first. This trail is hard with tons of switch backs and a lot of uphill stairs. If you are somewhat fit, you will be fine. The lake is nice to swim in during the summer time as it is completely clear and cold. Reminds me of Lake Twenty-Two but you can’t walk around it on a board walk :) Bring lots of water and snacks because there are a ton of places to take a break and look out at the landscape. Highly recommend for those of you who want a challenge!

closed to public use from 02/08/18 to 07/01/18 .
what a bummer I drove all the way up here from Seattle for this hike only to find out that it is closed .
am trying to save your time .
IT IS CLOSED !!

Trail is closed to the public for lodging from 02/08/18 to 07/08/18.

Did the falls and ran into about 4 inches of snow, tried going up to the lake and had to turn around about 1/2 mile from the top due to waist deep snow.

We did just the Serene lake and the last mile was really hard with too much snow and icy. It was pretty much drizzling the whole time so couldn’t enjoy the hike as such. The beat part was the crackling sound of the ice and the avalanche effect of snow falling down from the mountain.

Went this morning and there weren’t too many people since I️t was raining when we arrived at about 10:30. The water isn’t as bad on the trail as I️t was a few weeks ago the streams have died down a bit. Closer to the lake there is compact snow on the trail and micro spikes would be very useful. I did see people without them but they were sliding quit a bit. Beautiful hike overall

Night hike for Astro Photography. Used micro spikes at the top. Beautiful as always...even in the dark.

Last 2 miles up to lake Serene you need microspikes, but it's completely worth it. the lake is just bright blue when it's frozen and surround by snow covered mountains. We listened and watch small avalanches happening on the mountains all around the lake. It was magnificent but be careful.

Just hiked Lake Serene 12/29/17. Right from the start there are several overflowing creeks you have to cross so make sure you come prepared with waterproof boots or be prepared to suck it up! :) I’ve hiked Lake Serene twice in the snow before and three times during the summer. The trail does eventually pass right by the bottom of some run off of Bridal Veil Falls and there’s no way to keep going to the top without passing through a large creek/ giant winds/ and water in the air that the water fall produces. Normally, there’s just a small pool of water coming off of the rocks, but with all of the rain from the past few days, there was an enormous amount of water coming off of the rocks. (Definitely the highlight of our hike though). Microspikes are necessary about 75% of the way up the hike. The trail starts to get icy/slushy. Unfortunately, we got caught on time and couldn’t make it to the top because we didn’t want to get caught in the dark. I’m sure it was truly Serene at the top!

This hike was pretty tough but overall the views were incredible. We went when the lake was frozen over and it was an amazing experience and well worth hiking through rain and light snow

Hiked on 12/22 - went to Bridal Falls then up to the lake. The snow made everything look amazing. Snow was packed pretty well and didn’t need spikes on the way up. Had lunch on lunch rock and it got really chilly. Bring layers for the temperature change. Put spike on to go down for maybe half a mile then it was easy. Would definitely come back in the summer time.

First half of the trail is pretty easy but the second half makes up for it. The trail was in great shape yesterday(12/23) with about a foot of snow at the top. Trail was well broke in so spikes for the last half mile or so are good to have and definitely good for the hike back down. I took the trail up to bridal veil falls on my way back and it was totally worth it. The falls were half frozen which made for some cool pictures.

Hiked on 12/11 conditions were snowy/icy at top and Lake Serene was frozen. It was a great hike nevertheless

not for the faint of heart! the trail is steep, but well worth it. definitely the hardest trail I've done to date. it's rocky and definitely icy at the top. i slipped and fell towards the top, but once I put my microspikes on it was easy to cross. the lake is frozen over and you can hear avalanches in the distance. over all worth the pain you endure getting there.

I'm so sad I didn't make it to the lake! Got a late start and in December it's crucial to time hikes so you aren't stuck walking back in the dark. I'm an out of towner so next time I will shoot for the whole trail. There's a sign that says the park is closed until 2018. I just called the park ranger and she had said it's ok. Be careful with the snow on the way up!

Trail was surprisingly empty. Lower trail is in good condition, not very muddy, lots of fallen leaves. There are several stream crossings. As you go up its a quick transition to snow, not icey. We used micro spikes which made the snow easy to maneuver through.

I did about 15 hikes this summer and this might have been my favorite. Absolutely beautiful. Went last Tuesday. You start off going through the forest which reminded me a little of the Hoh Rain Forest with all the moss. I decided to hike up to the Bridal Veil Falls first. It was slippery getting up there (used my cross-trainers) as the trail was mostly rock. But the view is incredible. The falls are much bigger in person then the photos suggested. I then continued on the main path to Serene Lake. It was pretty steep in some sections but wasn't as bad as I thought. Mount Si is definitely harder. The trail does get slippery at the end as you get closer to the lake. Lake Serene is incredible with Mount Index behind it. I enjoyed this view way more then Frozen Lake. The reflection and clearness of the water was incredible. After an hour I headed back down. Be careful because the trail is very slippery rock when heading back down. But just an incredible hike with incredible views.