Lake Serene Trail

Lake Serene Trail is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Bar, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Everett, east on US 2 to mile marker 35. Turn right after the marker on Mount Index Road (FSR 6020) and travel 0.3 miles. Turn right at the fork onto FSR 6020-109 and go 0.1 miles to the trailhead on the left.

I'll start with, I'm a 300 pound dude. Wife and I have been doing a lot of "moderate" hikes. Decided to try out lake serene. In my humble opinion, it was pretty dang hard. Excellent workout. It's pretty easy until you start your ascent up then never ending switch back like trail. This part is the hard part for a few reasons. First, it's super rocky. If you're not wearing decent hiking boots, your feet will eventually hurt. I was wearing hiking boots and at the end it still did a number. Also, I don't recommend wearing just any running shoes, due to these rock. It's pretty do able going up; coming back down, it's extremely easy to roll your ankle. Seen it happen several times.
Second, it's pretty dang inclined.

It's a hard hike with a good payoff. Though the lake was semi frozen(basically had a thin layer of snow on it), the entire landscape was beautiful, with mount index in the background. We had lunch while resting at the lake. Highly recommend this hike, and if my big self can do it, you all can too.

Also forgot to add, come early. I wasn't able to go head there from Seattle until 10. The 2 was backed up outside of sultan on the way there, due to re paving of the road. So we got there around 1250. Parking lot was completely full, with excess cars parked outside of the trailhead parking lot. We got extremely lucky and caught someone leaving. And don't forget your pass.

It's a good steep hike of 8+miles and 1+ mile for bridal falls. Terrain is rocky after couple of miles. Recommend good hiking shoes. If you want to sit around the lake for snacks and food, recommend a light jacket as it gets cold. Lake was semi frozen when went there.

Such a great hike. Get there early to really enjoy it!

It's a good trail to get those legs stretched out on at the start of hiking season. I like to get there early and avoid weekend crowds. Lots of dogs every time I'm on it

I always try to avoid this popular trail on the weekends. Yesterday was no exception with lots of waiting on the trail. We passed on the falls this time but if you haven't been there it's something you will want to venture up to see. The lake is still frozen over but plenty of open dry spots to rest on lunch rock. Snow covered trails around the lake and the last 200-300 yards of the trail.

May 6th, 2017

We had a blast on this trail. Last 1/2 mile was snowy and cold, bring waterproof jackets and thermals (if you get cold and like to be warm). Don't bother with bridal showers trail. It's blocked by snow right now and you get to be at the foothills of these water falls just 5 minutes down on lake serene trail. You really need boots for this, at least this early in the season. Have fun.

Views are worth the effort to get there.