Lake Serene Trail

Lake Serene Trail is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Bar, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Lake Serene is a alpine lake nestled in the Cascade mountains of Washington State. Lake Serene Trail is a popular hike within the Mount Baker Snoqualamie Forest. The trailhead can be accessed off of Mount Index Road near Stevens Pass. Make sure to get an early start in order to get a parking spot at the trailhead. What the trail lacks in length, it makes up for in elevation gain. The first mile and a half winds across a well manicured and slightly inclined path, at the end of which you can choose to go another mile on Bridal Veil Falls Trail to Bridal Veil Falls or another two miles to the main trail to Lake Serene. The extra mile is certainly worth the side trip to see the falls. One you have returned to Serene Lake Trail, the two miles to the lake traverse a large climb, through a series of long, wooden steps, rocky passages, and switchbacks. Approximately 1.4 miles into the lake trail, you will encounter a very steep grade. Once you reach the lake, you will be rewarded by the stunning blue lake is that is clear, cool, inviting, and surrounded by high ridges and remnants of the previous winter snowfall. Find a spot along this gorgeous lake to eat lunch and take a rest. From the lake, you can also cross a log bridge and take a short trail that will take you to a large, smooth rock named "Lunch Rock", where you will find people relaxing and jumping into the lake. When you are ready, return via the way you came. This is a great hike and a must see destination that will greatly satisfy your sense of adventure and search of natural beauty. A Northwest Forest Pass is required.

not for the faint of heart! the trail is steep, but well worth it. definitely the hardest trail I've done to date. it's rocky and definitely icy at the top. i slipped and fell towards the top, but once I put my microspikes on it was easy to cross. the lake is frozen over and you can hear avalanches in the distance. over all worth the pain you endure getting there.

I'm so sad I didn't make it to the lake! Got a late start and in December it's crucial to time hikes so you aren't stuck walking back in the dark. I'm an out of towner so next time I will shoot for the whole trail. There's a sign that says the park is closed until 2018. I just called the park ranger and she had said it's ok. Be careful with the snow on the way up!

Trail was surprisingly empty. Lower trail is in good condition, not very muddy, lots of fallen leaves. There are several stream crossings. As you go up its a quick transition to snow, not icey. We used micro spikes which made the snow easy to maneuver through.

I did about 15 hikes this summer and this might have been my favorite. Absolutely beautiful. Went last Tuesday. You start off going through the forest which reminded me a little of the Hoh Rain Forest with all the moss. I decided to hike up to the Bridal Veil Falls first. It was slippery getting up there (used my cross-trainers) as the trail was mostly rock. But the view is incredible. The falls are much bigger in person then the photos suggested. I then continued on the main path to Serene Lake. It was pretty steep in some sections but wasn't as bad as I thought. Mount Si is definitely harder. The trail does get slippery at the end as you get closer to the lake. Lake Serene is incredible with Mount Index behind it. I enjoyed this view way more then Frozen Lake. The reflection and clearness of the water was incredible. After an hour I headed back down. Be careful because the trail is very slippery rock when heading back down. But just an incredible hike with incredible views.

Absolutely beautiful and a lot of fun. Brought my kids age 4 and 6 years- it was a little more than a 4 year old is happy with but my 6 year old was great. I like the uphill on the way out for my kids as it makes coming back easier. The fall colors were great and highly recommend.

The views are great and the lake feels amazing! I went the end of summer, so the water wasn't too bad. I highly recommend! Just beware of the 20,000 switchbacks!!

Not for the weak knee'd but so worth those bouldery 23 switchbacks. I would also recommend seeing Bridal Falls on your way up. It was a beautiful day and this trail will close come Novemeber 2017 for logging so go hike it while you can!

The view was beautiful even though it was cloudy over the opposite mountains... A rain jacket could help as it was raining heavily while going up this Sunday. I will come again on a clear day.