Lake Ingalls

Lake Ingalls is a 8.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Cle Elum, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October.

Distance: 8.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,893 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

From Seattle drive east on I-90 to East Cle Elum, exit 85. Cross over the freeway overpass and turn right (northbound) on State Route 970. Cross the Teanaway River bridge, and in another mile turn left onto Teanaway Road. Drive north on Teanaway Road, veering right as it becomes first the North Fork Teanaway Road and then unpaved Forest Road 9737 at 29 Pines Campground. Follow Road 9737 about 9.5 miles until it ends at the Esmeralda Trailhead where the trails to Lake Ingalls and Longs Pass begin.

icy

Beautiful winter hike before to much snow sets into the mountains. The road to the trailhead was long, bumpy with many potholes along the way, but nothing too extreme. Suitable for all cars now, but after the forecasted snow over the next few days, could be a bit challenging. The trail itself is well signed and easy to follow. The elevation gain begins right from the start allowing for very little warm up. Very dramatic and changing landscape as you travel. Ingalls Pass is at about the 3 mile mark and the views into the basin are stunning. Here we began to see tracks from the resident goats, but they never graced us with their company. The last rock section before you start the descent to the lake basin is quite a scramble. We put our hiking poles away at this point and scrambled on all fours over the boulders. Easy to get off trail in this area, so we slowed down quite a bit here and really took our time. Next was the quick descent to the Lake. Covered in snow and starting to ice over. Be careful getting to close to the waters edge. We decided to stop here for lunch with a great view of the lake. Very cold and windy but exhilarating all the same! We decided to not travel around the lake as the trail became less clear to us in this location ~ so this was also our turn around point. Definitely will be headed back in the spring as the area starts to bloom.

Great hike, don't know how much longer you'll be able to do this one. Road is clear of snow at this time. lower half of trails in good condition from icy snowy spots as you hit the middle section definitely have micro spikes. once up at the top and hit the Alpine lakes wilderness you will have snow going down the other side pretty packed. require some rock scrambling skills to get up to the lake and watch for the cairns

icy

Completed on Nov 16, 2019. The trail start from snow area was pretty confused and unclear due to the fresh snow couple days ago. Strongly recommend microspike. The final mile was rocky and hard to find the right path. Be careful of rocky area while you go back.

Beautiful hike on Monday 11/11. I lost the trail a few times. Wish I left a little earlier than 9:30! I used microspikes for a bit but not much. If I didn’t have my all trails app, I think I would have panicked a few times, losing the trail. But if you know the trail or have all trails, you’ll be fine!!! No snow in the beginning and a manageable amount in the middle. I took the left trail on the way down because I was confused about the shorter one on the right. The left trail was longer, prettier, and flatter). I accidentally took the other trail on the way back and it was shorter, softer snow, and steeper (going up). I clocked in at 9.5 miles and it took me around 6 hours. Beautiful day.

icy

It’s the picture they use on the forest service web page. It’s awesome! Hiked 11-6-19. Nice mostly clear and cold weather. Hot enough to shed some layers and melt some mud on the way down. Not really any snow on trail until pass, pretty much all snow covered from pass to lake. Still easy enough to “see” the trail and lots of others tracks on both routes through headlight basin. Just a few needles left on the larch. Had 7 goats wanting to be a little too friendly, near the lake. They let us eat lunch in peace at the lake, but once we decide to head back they were very close again. Saw 2 others heading up looking slightly unprepared, as well as 1 other and a dog coming down from Longs pass.

icy

It was a nice hike. Saw few goats near the lake. We reached lake in around 2 hours 10 min. And decided to go around the lake. DONT REPEAT OUR MISTAKE! There is no way around. BUT) To make it more fun you can continue walking for an hour or so till you reach a rocky hill. That’s where you need to go back. Unless you have climbing equipment and know how to use it! Our attempt to walk around made this hike unforgettable!

fee
icy

Hiked on 10/29 Road to the trail is clear of snow. Beautiful hike with views the entire way up, lots of mud and ice in many places until you start getting close to the top then be prepared for snow. We didn’t take any poles or spikes just good snow boots and it was completely doable! Dress warm.