New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Lake Constance Trail

Lake Constance Trail is a 14.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Brinnon, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October.

Distance: 14.5 miles Elevation Gain: 4,898 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

PLEASE NOTE: Dosewallips Road is indefinitely closed to vehicles. Road washed-out outside the park boundary, 6.5 miles from campground. The road and trail remain open to foot/bike traffic. This hike is more of a route, as opposed to a well-defined trail. It is quite strenuous, traversing blowdown, and scree. It mostly parallels Constance Creek and then ends at Lake Constance. A Wilderness Permit is required to camp in this area. There is a washout several miles from the trailhead on Dosewallip Road. There is a trail that goes around the closure, which is used to access this trail. Many visitors choose to bring a bike for this stretch, which they then stash at the trailhead.

GREAT DAY HIKE One of the most difficult and technical day hikes I have been on. After bicycling in 4 miles to trailhead my buddy and I climbed the 2 mile 3300 feet elevation mountain to the lake. Had a great time hiking in the over casted sun, probably not as of a fun hike in the rain. The trail is in the trees keeping us cool for most of the hike. I loved the scrambles and the workout getting to this beautiful lake. We walked around the lake fishing and exploring. Not a hike for novice hikers!

Again,push/ride your bike to trailhead.Be prepared to get your butt handed to you. Ample water refills Half way up.Most dangerous part is last 1/2 hr ,loose rock makes for slippery slope.When you see the king of the mtn” tape your almost there.Enjoy!

We hiked this trail as the cap stone of our Olympic National Park adventure. Is is definitely uphill all the way and since the trail is primitive you may get off of trail on occasion but quickly discoverthe trail and move upward. It is tough, but by no means an expert climber hike. I am in my mid fifties and not the biggest fan of heights and this trail wasnt bad at all. It is just all up hill with few recovery areas until you reach the top. In the end youbate rewarded with a beautiful waterfall and then a peaceful lake to recover your legs. Oh yea, your body will remind youbthat you have knees on the way down! A bike would be great to eliminate the +8 mile out and back on the flat trail. Great hike! It isnt scary. It is definitely beautiful!

Contrary to what people say about this hike, you do not need to be an expert to get here. It it a though trail that the main trail is partially washed out, the Constance trail can be hard to follow but just look for the pink markers. I would recommend bikes for the first part, cuts alot of time off the hike. The lake also seems to have alot of fish that opens on June 3rd.

Extremely hard hike experts only

went March 20 2019. posted distance is incorrect. 14.9 is what my gps read. first 4 miles is all paved road which we did in a little under an hour, then after that the trail is nothing but elevation to the peak. took my group 4 hours to do the 3.5 miles to the lake, just follow the creek. the trail is almost non existent. when we went there was snow towards the top. we had no gear and we were absolutely fine. do not recommend snow shoes.

just went up yesterday by myself and made it to the lake the lake was covered in snow probably about 5 feet of snow left ovary where the lake looks like a slushie it was pretty cloudy but it cleared up for a second and wow I was amazed where I made it to. realize it is one of the steepest trails in Washington and I believe it is the steepest trail in the Olympics and one of the most dangerous Trails so be careful you have to pretty much rock climb to the lake and I'm not lying you want some experience in knowing what to do maybe some mountaineering experience know your rest steps and take your time climbing it's really hard to get to this place and the trail isn't really noticeable so you have to pay attention just follow the the creek bed up north. I didn't need gear there was no snow on the trail the whole time I only reached snow at the lake and at the lake I definitely needed snowshoes to get around but there was no point and bringing them it would have been too bulky and crazy to have on my backpack rock climbing most of the way. and I'm not lying about the rock climbing I've submitted some mountains and done Liberty Bell Mountain which is where you have to literally rock climb and this place very much reminded me of doing Alpine rock climbing I almost feel that sometimes you need a rope to Rappel but they're not that long a spots you just have to down climb. I did it all in one day and now I can't feel my legs but it was so worth it be safe out there responsible to Nature and yourselves and have fun

completed the hike March 23rd. the road is accessible. the total distance from where you park to finish was 14.8 miles, so absolutely adjust for that. my group completed the trail in 8 hours. at first you take a gravel road for 4 miles until you see a small sign telling you to turn right for the trailhead. from that point on, be very watchful for the trail markers, orange and pink tape. the trail is at most points not defined. especially the closer you get to the lake. the trail is not cleared well and has a lot of logs and rocks you will need to climb. we enjoyed that part. during our time, we experienced snow at the hardest elevations and it was pretty deep. I would not recommend snow shoes because of the maneuvering you will have to do. would recommend crampons, but no gear was required, we didn't use any. the lake is slushy, and snow covered. still gorgeous.