Lake Constance Trail

Lake Constance Trail is a 14.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Brinnon, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October.

Distance: 14.5 miles Elevation Gain: 4,898 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

PLEASE NOTE: Dosewallips Road is indefinitely closed to vehicles. Road washed-out outside the park boundary, 6.5 miles from campground. The road and trail remain open to foot/bike traffic. This hike is more of a route, as opposed to a well-defined trail. It is quite strenuous, traversing blowdown, and scree. It mostly parallels Constance Creek and then ends at Lake Constance. A Wilderness Permit is required to camp in this area. There is a washout several miles from the trailhead on Dosewallip Road. There is a trail that goes around the closure, which is used to access this trail. Many visitors choose to bring a bike for this stretch, which they then stash at the trailhead.

Contrary to what people say about this hike, you do not need to be an expert to get here. It it a though trail that the main trail is partially washed out, the Constance trail can be hard to follow but just look for the pink markers. I would recommend bikes for the first part, cuts alot of time off the hike. The lake also seems to have alot of fish that opens on June 3rd.

Extremely hard hike experts only

went March 20 2019. posted distance is incorrect. 14.9 is what my gps read. first 4 miles is all paved road which we did in a little under an hour, then after that the trail is nothing but elevation to the peak. took my group 4 hours to do the 3.5 miles to the lake, just follow the creek. the trail is almost non existent. when we went there was snow towards the top. we had no gear and we were absolutely fine. do not recommend snow shoes.

just went up yesterday by myself and made it to the lake the lake was covered in snow probably about 5 feet of snow left ovary where the lake looks like a slushie it was pretty cloudy but it cleared up for a second and wow I was amazed where I made it to. realize it is one of the steepest trails in Washington and I believe it is the steepest trail in the Olympics and one of the most dangerous Trails so be careful you have to pretty much rock climb to the lake and I'm not lying you want some experience in knowing what to do maybe some mountaineering experience know your rest steps and take your time climbing it's really hard to get to this place and the trail isn't really noticeable so you have to pay attention just follow the the creek bed up north. I didn't need gear there was no snow on the trail the whole time I only reached snow at the lake and at the lake I definitely needed snowshoes to get around but there was no point and bringing them it would have been too bulky and crazy to have on my backpack rock climbing most of the way. and I'm not lying about the rock climbing I've submitted some mountains and done Liberty Bell Mountain which is where you have to literally rock climb and this place very much reminded me of doing Alpine rock climbing I almost feel that sometimes you need a rope to Rappel but they're not that long a spots you just have to down climb. I did it all in one day and now I can't feel my legs but it was so worth it be safe out there responsible to Nature and yourselves and have fun

completed the hike March 23rd. the road is accessible. the total distance from where you park to finish was 14.8 miles, so absolutely adjust for that. my group completed the trail in 8 hours. at first you take a gravel road for 4 miles until you see a small sign telling you to turn right for the trailhead. from that point on, be very watchful for the trail markers, orange and pink tape. the trail is at most points not defined. especially the closer you get to the lake. the trail is not cleared well and has a lot of logs and rocks you will need to climb. we enjoyed that part. during our time, we experienced snow at the hardest elevations and it was pretty deep. I would not recommend snow shoes because of the maneuvering you will have to do. would recommend crampons, but no gear was required, we didn't use any. the lake is slushy, and snow covered. still gorgeous.

This hike is not for the faint of heart or those looking for a quick and easy summit. But if you're looking for a challenge then I highly recommend this trail. Camped out at Elkhorn Campground and left for the Lake Constance trailhead at about 5:30am. Found the trail to be challenging, steel, and requiring a lot of scrambling and climbing over debris in the lower elevations through the burned-out portion of the mountain. The trail parallels the wash, with plenty of running water and small waterfalls. Near the top, there was a significant amount of residual snow and ice which made the final part of the trail to the lake rather treacherous. I didn't have cramp-ons, so had to turn back approximately a half-mile from the top. Overall, a VERY good hike and I intend to return again in the future.

Of all day hikes in the Olympics, this one may be the coup de grace. If you just want something pleasant and some nice views, there are many other options. If you want a challenge, an adventure, and a trail that will test your resolve... this one’s for you. Be advised, the posted mileage is incorrect. I parked my car as close to the end of the road as you can get (at the first of two washouts) and then clocked 14.9 miles round trip, with no detours up and back. The trail is not hard to follow. Yes, there are fallen logs and branches everywhere, but there are orange string markers hanging from branches and older red blazes and markers on various trees. I did this on December 21st. If you’re going to consider doing it later in the season, be supplied, prepared, and equipped. It’s gruelingly steep on a dry summer day. Add snow and ice, and it can be dangerous if you’re not smart and sure-footed. The snow on the ground started halfway up, just past the fire-damaged area. At the lake the snow was nearly thigh deep. All of that said, it was one of the most staggeringly beautiful sights I’ve ever seen. Overall, this is really hard, but totally worth it. If you want it enough, you can do it.

We hiked to the base of the Lake Constance Trail which was about 6 miles in because of the road closure. We began making our way up the steep trail but the forest had been burned and was washed out. About .25 miles in we were unable to see the trail markers and tried to keep going but it was very difficult. Downed trees everywhere and the soil was extremely loose. We made it about .5 miles and had to turn back. I would not try this trail again until the Park Service is able to get it back into safe condition.

We rode our bikes for the first 4.5 to 5 miles from the road closure on the Dosewallips to the Lake Constance Trail Head (stashed and locked the bikes there – this was a big help and highly recommended) via a wide, well maintained road – now trail. All told; 15 to 16 miles up and back to the lake (another 6 to summit). I would rate this hike as difficult with a full pack. It is a steep climb on the way up and you must climb over/under large, downed logs as the Park Service has not cleared the trail this year. The trail is hard to navigate near the top but following your instincts worked and pink/orange tape guides you when you needed it most. It is steep in sections. There is lots of water along the way though. The Lake was beautiful and one group got almost 2 dozen brown trout that day. We continued up the trail, over large rock scree and finally camped at the base of Mt. Constance. The mountain was summitable in September. We summited after spending the night there. We had a panoramic view from a ridge after scrambling up a scree slope from camp to 1000 ft. from the top. We continued up and the weather then turned extremely windy and foggy once we got to the Terrible Traverse. One of the snow fields was icy and we had to crawl across a ridge on it. The rest of the hike was manageable. At the top of Mt. Constance, it was extremely windy and fogged-in at 7,000+ ft. After the summit, we retraced out steps and we headed down to the Lake. It was getting dark once we arrived at the lake and we went down via the trail with head lamps. It was a slippery trail as it was raining/misting and the quads took a beating. Having bikes though at the end of the Lake Constance trail to ride the last 5 miles to the trailhead was a god-send. The Lake hike is a hard hike and summiting, though steep and difficult, is worth it though difficult and hard to navigate.

We hiked up from the road closure on Dosewallips. My watch clocked about 4.5 miles to the ranger station sign and about 5 miles to Lake Constance Trail Head. This hike is extremely difficult. You are having to climb over boulders, big downed logs and it is steep. We had a hard time finding the trail despite the pink/orange markers. We made it about .5 miles up the trail and then turned back down.