Lake Ann

Lake Ann is a 9.4 mile out and back trail located near Maple Falls, Washington that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The trail starts in cool woods and descends about 2 miles and 800 feet to a lush meadow and Swift Creek. Then the trail switches uphill 1000 feet through boulder fields and meadows. At about 4 miles you reach the saddle above Lake Ann. The close-up view of Mt. Shuksan and its glaciers is unforgettable. Now and again you hear the crack and crash of ice calving off the glaciers and the roar of dozens of waterfalls.

I absolutely LOVED this hike and would consider it one of the most beautiful I've been on! It's definitely challenging but well worth the effort! We did this about a week ago and the only complaint I have are in regard to all of the bugs... so definitely bring bug spray (and plenty of water)!!!

From the forest to the meadow and creeks, to where the trail weaves through fallen boulders and puts you at the picturesque lake. Wow! Go in late summer - you can enjoy some wildflowers and blewbs! Layer, layer, layer. This trail gets hot & cold quickly. Well maintained trail, fully paved road on the way up.

Enjoy this hike very much very picturesque very colorful in the fall, only complaint I have is the dog crap smell

Hikes on 9/16/16 Good trail with great views.
blueberries along the trail
Parking fills up quickly at trailhead

Pretty challenging in areas especially near the end. We did it without much gear, and most the other hikers we saw out there had hiking poles and other gear. Definitely pack a lunch! Ended up taking us about 6 hours and about 10 miles according to my pedometer. Also very rocky in some areas which was hard to walk stable through so watch your step!

Sunday, August 14, 2016

This challenging hike is loaded with gorgeous views at every turn. It is Mother Nature at her finest. From woodsy trails to rocky slide areas to green valleys, this trail has it all. It starts by going down to the valley and then up and over another ridge. A short distance after that, Lake Ann comes into view. It is a beautiful little lake nestled between 2 ridges. We ate our picnic lunch on the ridge overlooking the lake on one side and the glacial ice on the other. The ridge was covered in wildflowers. It was a little piece of Heaven on earth. The return hike was tiring as we traversed the many switchbacks to the trailhead. This is a must do hike for all hiking enthusiasts.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Took us about 9-10 hours including lunch, but the view was well worth it.

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Monday, August 31, 2015

Tuesday 8-25-2015: My wife and I joined our hiking group to hike to Lake Ann near Mount Baker. The weather was mostly sunny and temperatures were between 70 and 90 degrees. It was a beautiful hike with a lot of interesting views, including Mount Baker, Mount Shuksan, Upper and Lower Curtis Glaciers and Lake Ann. I enjoyed refreshing swimming in Lake Ann.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Wonderful views and challenging. Many people told me that you start the trail down hill to the lake and then finish by going up to the start point. This is not so! Yes, you start by going down. However, after you go through the meadow low point, you go up through boulder land slide areas and up over a ridge and finally arrive at Lake Ann a little above the elevation of the trailhead/parking lot. Mom and I hiked on 13 Aug. There were many people on the trail. Many were either hiking out after camping at the lake or hiking in to camp overnight. Awesome views. Once you reach the lake you can continue on to the base of a Glacier. We choose to explore the lake and then go back to the trailhead. My only concern was we were tired on the way back and according to the AllTrails app, it was 10 miles round trip, NOT 8 as put out by the Forest Service. My toy poodle was hot and tired. So where the humans! But SO GLAD we did it. Highly recommend it!

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Tuesday, September 02, 2014

If you go on to the lower Curtis Glacier, Mt. Shuksan and the glaciers do the occasional rumbling that will get your attention as both ice and rock come down 9-1-14

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Absolutely stunning !!!! But prepare for some snow in July :)

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

This was one of my very favorite backpacking trips. Absolutely gorgeous. Don't let the 7.5 miles round trip fool you--it's a push and would make for a pretty hard day hike. For story and pics go to http://kellbell-whywouldanyonereadthis.blogspot.com/2012/10/lake-ann-mount-baker-hwy.html