Lake Ann is a 9.5 mile out and back trail located near Maple Falls, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,585 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The trail starts in cool woods and descends about 2 miles and 800 feet to a lush meadow and Swift Creek. Then the trail switches uphill 1000 feet through boulder fields and meadows. At about 4 miles you reach the saddle above Lake Ann. The close-up view of Mt. Shuksan and its glaciers is unforgettable. Now and again you hear the crack and crash of ice calving off the glaciers and the roar of dozens of waterfalls.

Not a lot of snow yet. we brought microspikes but didn't need to use them.

Important to note that the road to the trailhead is CLOSED for the year. When we arrived we had no warning about this and parked at the lot 1.5miles away and uphill to the trailhead. Plan on adding on an additional 3miles to the hike if you choose to do lake Ann this time of year. Snow was intermittent (no spikes needed) and the trail is VERY muddy at times. Some bugs but not horrible. Once you get to Lake Ann continue on the trail for about 8minutes to make sure you see the incredible views of Mount Shuksan and the galciers. Still a beautiful hike and was not disappointed.

I had recently hiked Granite Mountain two days prior to this hike so my body was still recovering from that hike. I had been wanting to get out to hike the Lake Ann Trail for a couple of years now but with the long distance drive and other hikes peeking my interest more than this one, I've put it off until now. After reading the description of the hike it didn't seem all too difficult and the fact that I was nearing a bench mark in my "hiking career", I wanted to make reaching my 300th mile hiked a special one. Lake Ann is a beautiful hike, so I've been told, and well worth the pain to get there. It took nearly two hours to drive to the trail head. Winding up the two lane highway that never seemed to end. I reached Austin Pass, snapped a few photos and continued up to the trail head. There were several cars already parked and I set off at approximately 1:21pm. I rarely hike a trail this late in the day but I figured I'd be at the lake in a quick two hours. The trail immediately descended down. Which meant all legs on the return trip. My left calf was already feeling it as my body from my previous hike wasn't fully recovered. But I pressed on. Reaching the valley floor was stunning. As the peaks around me towered above, I was cautious about wildlife, (mainly bears). I saw remnants of bear scat near the trails, (and some dog poop) so I was extra careful to make some noise around blind corners. I passed a few people on the trail as they were heading back claiming Lake Ann was stunning. As I started my ascent into the boulder fields, my legs were really screaming but the Pikas in the rocks seemed to be cheering me on with their encouraging squeaks...or maybe they were telling me to turn around. I followed the trail out of the boulder field and through the meadow and as I looked on, I could see the tip of Mt Shukshan. Stunning in all her glory, she still had an enormous glacier on her west face. The clouds rolled in around her, swirling and dancing, covering up her beauty. And I could see the trail heading up into the saddle. I promised myself I'd turn around at 3pm. The sun would eventually drop behind the peaks which would turn this already overcast day into a dark death trap if I wasn't particular about my time in the wilderness. It was 2:58pm when I reached a grassy knoll that gave me an epic glimpse of Mt Shuksan. I wanted to climb the trail so badly to the saddle but my legs were throbbing and I was worried about the time it would take me to get back to the trailhead. I subsequently turned around. I walked with a purpose away from Lake Ann without even getting to see it. I could feel Mt Shuksan pulling me back, urging me to turn back around and head for the lake. I would slow my pace and look back at the mountain with a longing gaze but then I'd trip on a rock or a tree root or something and I would snap out of it and gain my composure again. Gorgeous. But I pushed on. Heading for the trailhead. I knew the last mile or so would be brutal as I recalled the descent to the valley floor. I shuffled through the rocky trail, tripping and stumbling in places because my legs didn't want to go anymore. 17 miles in 72 hours will do that to you. I trudged up the last few switchbacks and came around the last bend. My car. Finally. I was at my car. I dropped my pack and leaned against the cold fender as I stared up at the sky as beads of sweat trickled off the brim of my hat. What a trip. The trail is extremely muddy in places. It's tough to negotiate but side trails have been created by hikers to get around the mud. There's one stream that is overflowing but you can hop rocks to get across. I'm assuming trail conditions will only get worse as the rainy season heads in. Prepare to get muddy and wet if you hike this trail in the upcoming weeks. I saw some dog poop on the trail so try to pick up after your dogs as well as keep them on a leash.

This hike is beautiful with lots of photo opportunities. There are wildflowers, edible berries, changes of scenery, glaciers, and a lake. The rocky inclines are challenging but doable. I did this hike on Sat. August 31st and the weather was perfect until the last 1/2 mile where I got a little wet. There were plenty of people on the trail but it wasn't overcrowded. 6 WTA volunteers were on the trail doing an awesome job and super friendly. If you see volunteers thank them for their work.

Tough hike on hot day. But what a great glacier view and lovely alpine flowers!

A great trail to hike!

Easy acces ,to many people

Tough one on a rainy day. Having to climb back up what you go down at the start on tired legs is brutal! Berries are amazing as were the views in spite of the clouds and rain.

Great trail. I wouldn't rate it as moderate though. its fairly challenging with several rock paths that can be hard to navigate. The scenery changes quite often and offer many stunning views.

Absolutely breathtaking. A must!

This was my first overnight and it was absolutely perfect. The cool lake was a refreshing reward to jump into after a hike. The views on a sunny day are breathtaking, with views of the glaciers, Mount Shuksan, and Baker Lake off in the distance. The last mile back toward the parking lot was a workout with a pack on as it’s all uphill, but if you plan on doing just a day hike, this trip is easily doable with moderate effort. Just be sure to bring a lunch for when you reach the lake!

Loved this hike! The view of mt shuksan alone makes it worth it. Lazy meander through the woods and gentle climb up to the saddle, so many wildflowers but bugs too!

Beautiful trail in the Mt Baker wilderness. I hiked this in mid August. The trail was in pretty good shape. Very few bugs. I would bring trekking poles for the downhill sections next time. I went for a photography trip and would suggest to other photographers that this is a sunset location. Expect to see a lot of people but it still feels like you are "out there". I made a video of my trip. See it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt9_oWsiy-Q&t=

Really beautiful trail, first you descend into a lovely meadow and the wild flowers were just starting to bloom as a special treat. Views to the right of Mt Baker and to the left of Mt Shuksan. As you ascend the rock slide up and over the ridge the view of the Shuksan glacier provides a spectacular spot for lunch. The lake provides a great foreground for photos of Mt Shuksan; it’s very cold but swimmable. All in all, great payoff for moderate effort.

Did this as my first backpacking trip and it was well worth it! Stunning views all over the place. Wildflowers were in bloom in the meadow and great views of Mt Baker and Mt Shuksan. Camping at the lake was pretty packed. Definitely be prepared for some mud on the trail and then the boulder field that the trail runs through. Overall, wonderful hike and hope to do it again!