Lake Angeles Trail

Lake Angeles Trail is a 6.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and snowshoeing and is best used from June until October.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,437 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Port Angeles: Find Hurricane Ridge Road behind the Pioneer Memorial Museum and drive southward along the highway 5 miles to the park entrance. Within the park the road climbs 3.5 miles southeastward to Lookout Rock. From this overlook Hurricane Ridge Road turns westward. Follow the road 5 miles to the Third Peak Trailhead, which lies on the western side of the road.

12/24/20 Quite a few people doing this trail today. Starts off nice and green and then 1.5 miles on you start to get packed snow. By the time you are 0.5 miles from the summit you can cross country ski (not advisable because it’s just not much distance until the lake). We had spikes on and that did the trick. There was close to 20 inches of snow at the top, so snowshoes would have worked but only for the last 0.5 miles of the trail. Beautiful views and so fun to hike up in the lush forest that turns into deep snow! Bring your spikes!

Great work out but boring trail. The scenery near the train head (first mile) is pretty and the destination is amazing however there are no views on your way up. Zero. The lake is gorgeous as it is nestled between snow capped mountains. This hike reminds me of Lower Lena with a more stunning and accessible lake.

The last mile has a dusting of snow, so some parts of the trail are slippery. Beautiful at the top with the sun out over the mountains. Not too many people on the trail, maybe 10 overall.

Very tough trail. We went in to do the whole loop around to the lake and made it 4 miles in. Our 10 year old gave out and we had to turn back. Beautiful forest but didn’t make it up enough to see the views.

Hike was definitely a steep incline going up. Took us just under two hours to get to the top and about 1 hr 15 min to get down. Decently in shape but still getting acclimated to the elevation change. Lake is beautiful but definitely would have been more enjoyable if it was raining as much, which made visibility a bit hard.

Not very Exciting very Foggy at the Top And at the Lake best go on a Sunny Clear Day.

Great trail!

Not too challenging. Essentially a long uphill walk. View was foggy at the top.

Great maintained trail! I’m not an avid hiker and a bit out of shape and was able to make it up in 2.5 hours. Very tiring but worth the hike. Make sure to jump in the lake when you get there! Took 1.5 hours to walk down. It is a steady gradual incline the entire way, but with walking sticks going up and down was much more comfortable. We started from the camp site down the road and our total trip was about 9 miles out and back.

We thought we were headed to Mt. Angeles, a shorter and easier trail. This was a humorous error on our part only, thankfully. Tiny communication error with the park ranger. Whoops. We still really enjoyed the trail and the lake even though it was quite foggy. We saw a banana slug and a little frog on the trail - the trees were impressive. I will say that I was pretty winded by a couple miles in, but I think part of that was mental as I didn't figure out the mix up until about that point. It is pretty much a steady upward march to the lake. We got it done in under two hours and then did a little run walk on the way down. It was not busy - maybe 3-4 other pairs hiking.

Great day and a pretty darn good hike. Yes the entire 3.2 mile is up hill at a moderate incline. Not too bad..it certainly provides a healthy sweat if you go at a good pace. Took about 1 hr 35 min to get to the lake. I have to say all the old grown burn is very saddening to see essentially through the entire hike. The lake was calm and beautiful. I also went up the Klahhane trail to the rock overlook only (must do...but be warned the trail is steep from the lake). Wanted to take some pics of the lake and Strait of Juan de Fuca. Nice. (if you so choose you could continue for couple more miles and merge with the Heather Park trail for a loop, or spawn off to the Mt Angeles trail). many options. :)

Do not do this trail if it is foggy. It makes the land look desolate and dead even though you are in the forest. The view at the top is no better with being able to see 5ft onto the lake. The trail is also steeper than the reviews and park lets on but is easy and quick to come down. On the way down the fog lifted a bit and it did look more lush but the fewer branches near the bottom of the trees makes the forest still seem like it’s lacking some life.

I thought this hike was beautiful. I did it on a cloudy (not foggy) day and still thought the lake enclosed by the beautiful mountains was incredible. The entire way up you are walking through the forest, but I definitely thought the view at the end was worth the monotonous hike up. This is definitely a strenuous climb and I would highly recommend not taking children. All in all, I really liked this hike and would do it again.

I was hoping for the lake with whisps of fog and ended up with so much fog that you couldn't see the water 5 feet ahead. Total whiteout in the fog at lake level. Otherwise a beautiful trail and a decent incline all the way up.

Great Hike! Trail well maintained. We started out at 9am and had the whole lake to ourselves for our hour long lunch and rest before heading back. Saw less than 10 other hikers total. There is a nice large rock to sit on with great views a little ways from where trail first meets the lake. The trail is a challenge in that it is 3+ miles all uphill, but the slope is not grueling and the return down does not beat you up. I highly recommend this as a nice contrast to the other high elevation sweeping view hikes. The lake is a beautiful destination and the trailhead's close access from Port Angeles is a nice plus.

This was a great trail, not highly trafficked. We hiked this trail at the end of June from Port Townsend and the hike in total took us about 3 hours. The turn-off to the trail head is right before the park entrance so you don’t actually have to enter the park. The hike up is strenuous but not too difficult. The lake is gorgeous. It was a bit chilly at the lake once we stopped moving - bring an extra jacket next time!

Great Trail for a workout! The reward is a beautiful lake at the top. Came through on a super foggy day so the forest looked pretty spooky. Beautiful day.

Hard trail but in such great shape. This time we walked from the Lake usi This is my 2nd time on the trail.

We hiked yesterday 7/1, beautiful weather, trail is in great condition, mosquitoes are out in full force at lake. We tracked 8.3 miles out and back, trailhead marker says 3.7 miles to lake.

Straight uphill. Was foggy at the top but beautiful! Not any good spots on the trail to stop and stretch or take a break without being in the way. Definitely challenging!

I hiked by myself on Sunday 6/23 and got on the trail a bit after 9 am. I only saw one other person on the way out and he was coming down. I didn’t see anyone else on the trail and after getting about 2/3rds of the way out was too creeped out to keep going alone so I turned around. I also slipped on the bridge over the creek so be careful until you’re all the way off. Seemed like a fun hike and I found the uphill to be a fun workout. Wish I could have seen the lake. I only saw one other hiker on the way down.

Great hike with gorgeous views of the lake at the finish. The trail was in good shape, nice steady climb up to the lake and no blow downs across.

beautiful and strenuous as always. massive cloud cover at the top with no visibility. will have to return on a clear day.

I think I would categorise this a moderate hike, instead of hard. It’s a steady up hill climb but not particularly steep. When we got to the top there were 5-6 people but we found it very peaceful and the lake was beautiful. We struggled to find the start of the trail as we accidentally entered ONP not realising that the car park was before the park entrance.

hiked this with my sister today and it was absolutely gorgeous. a lot of false hope thinking we were there but a lot more turns and inclines. definitely will be doing this again!

Great hike! Conditions were great.

Amazing view and it is so peaceful up at the top! It is a tiring hike, but definitely worth it. If you go early-ish or late in the year there will be snow. The snow/ice isn’t bad until there is water on top and it’s melting. My friends and I slipped and fell dozens of times and I ended up herniating my disk. It’s been over a year and I’m getting better but be very careful, it was NOT worth the hike and if you’re slipping, head back.