Lake Angeles Trail is a 6.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and snowshoeing and is best used from June until October.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,437 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Port Angeles: Find Hurricane Ridge Road behind the Pioneer Memorial Museum and drive southward along the highway 5 miles to the park entrance. Within the park the road climbs 3.5 miles southeastward to Lookout Rock. From this overlook Hurricane Ridge Road turns westward. Follow the road 5 miles to the Third Peak Trailhead, which lies on the western side of the road.

1 hour ago

Steady incline all the way. Aside from a couple of small footbridges the trail is forgettable. However, the lake at the top makes this hike well worth it. Trail was clear and didn’t have any snow. Camping available up top. Hiked on 23 May 20

This one will beat ya up pretty good but once you get here it’s worth it.

Loved it! But needed some restoration at the lake! Other than that, great hike if you’re in to it!

We had a great hike. It was foggy but within 30minutes the fog cleared up and it was stunning!

It was very foggy at the top so we could barely see the lake, but still worth it! The trip up is beautiful woods with bridges and a creek. The trail is 7.4 miles, not 6.4 like All Trails says, but the elevation is spot on.

Incredible and there is no snow on the trail:)

Only the last half mile or so had snow, and crampons made that part very doable. The trail was beautiful and quiet aside from a handful of people on the way down. It's definitely worth going all the way to the lake, but it's a good time regardless!

04/12/2020: Trail is accessible no closure signs. Need spikes a little past halfway. No need for snowshoes if you’re just going to the lake. Lake is frozen over. Quite beautiful. Will say it took about 3.5 hours round trip but Fitbit tracker said about 9.75 round trip, all trails tracker said 8.5, not 6.4 as listed so I don’t know what to believe. But if you’re not going to get all the way to the lake it’s not worth it so be ready.

Beautiful uphill hike. Steady uphill but not uncomfortably steep and trail is well marked even with snow for about ⅔ of the trail today. We had great weather —- sunny in the mid 40’s and little wind The hike is scenic and with tall trees which were shedding snow in delightful showers as we walked along. My wife and I both wore hiking boots with trek spikes attached and that gave great footing Impossible to get lost on this well marked tail and only met 7 people on the @8 mile round trip. The lake was beautiful —-ice and snow covered with a background of mountains and trees.

I hiked the trail on March 26th. First mile was pretty dry. Second mile there was packed down snow. Mile three requires Yaktax. Snow was about ankle deep. A few times it was knee deep. Very manageable with Yaktrax and Low cut hiking boots.

Awesome

12/24/20 Quite a few people doing this trail today. Starts off nice and green and then 1.5 miles on you start to get packed snow. By the time you are 0.5 miles from the summit you can cross country ski (not advisable because it’s just not much distance until the lake). We had spikes on and that did the trick. There was close to 20 inches of snow at the top, so snowshoes would have worked but only for the last 0.5 miles of the trail. Beautiful views and so fun to hike up in the lush forest that turns into deep snow! Bring your spikes!

Great work out but boring trail. The scenery near the trail head (first mile) is pretty and the destination is amazing however there are no views on your way up. Zero. The lake is gorgeous as it is nestled between snow capped mountains. This hike reminds me of Lower Lena with a more stunning and accessible lake.

The last mile has a dusting of snow, so some parts of the trail are slippery. Beautiful at the top with the sun out over the mountains. Not too many people on the trail, maybe 10 overall.

Very tough trail. We went in to do the whole loop around to the lake and made it 4 miles in. Our 10 year old gave out and we had to turn back. Beautiful forest but didn’t make it up enough to see the views.

Hike was definitely a steep incline going up. Took us just under two hours to get to the top and about 1 hr 15 min to get down. Decently in shape but still getting acclimated to the elevation change. Lake is beautiful but definitely would have been more enjoyable if it was raining as much, which made visibility a bit hard.

Not very Exciting very Foggy at the Top And at the Lake best go on a Sunny Clear Day.

Great trail!

Not too challenging. Essentially a long uphill walk. View was foggy at the top.

Great maintained trail! I’m not an avid hiker and a bit out of shape and was able to make it up in 2.5 hours. Very tiring but worth the hike. Make sure to jump in the lake when you get there! Took 1.5 hours to walk down. It is a steady gradual incline the entire way, but with walking sticks going up and down was much more comfortable. We started from the camp site down the road and our total trip was about 9 miles out and back.

We thought we were headed to Mt. Angeles, a shorter and easier trail. This was a humorous error on our part only, thankfully. Tiny communication error with the park ranger. Whoops. We still really enjoyed the trail and the lake even though it was quite foggy. We saw a banana slug and a little frog on the trail - the trees were impressive. I will say that I was pretty winded by a couple miles in, but I think part of that was mental as I didn't figure out the mix up until about that point. It is pretty much a steady upward march to the lake. We got it done in under two hours and then did a little run walk on the way down. It was not busy - maybe 3-4 other pairs hiking.

Great day and a pretty darn good hike. Yes the entire 3.2 mile is up hill at a moderate incline. Not too bad..it certainly provides a healthy sweat if you go at a good pace. Took about 1 hr 35 min to get to the lake. I have to say all the old grown burn is very saddening to see essentially through the entire hike. The lake was calm and beautiful. I also went up the Klahhane trail to the rock overlook only (must do...but be warned the trail is steep from the lake). Wanted to take some pics of the lake and Strait of Juan de Fuca. Nice. (if you so choose you could continue for couple more miles and merge with the Heather Park trail for a loop, or spawn off to the Mt Angeles trail). many options. :)

Do not do this trail if it is foggy. It makes the land look desolate and dead even though you are in the forest. The view at the top is no better with being able to see 5ft onto the lake. The trail is also steeper than the reviews and park lets on but is easy and quick to come down. On the way down the fog lifted a bit and it did look more lush but the fewer branches near the bottom of the trees makes the forest still seem like it’s lacking some life.

I thought this hike was beautiful. I did it on a cloudy (not foggy) day and still thought the lake enclosed by the beautiful mountains was incredible. The entire way up you are walking through the forest, but I definitely thought the view at the end was worth the monotonous hike up. This is definitely a strenuous climb and I would highly recommend not taking children. All in all, I really liked this hike and would do it again.

I was hoping for the lake with whisps of fog and ended up with so much fog that you couldn't see the water 5 feet ahead. Total whiteout in the fog at lake level. Otherwise a beautiful trail and a decent incline all the way up.

Great Hike! Trail well maintained. We started out at 9am and had the whole lake to ourselves for our hour long lunch and rest before heading back. Saw less than 10 other hikers total. There is a nice large rock to sit on with great views a little ways from where trail first meets the lake. The trail is a challenge in that it is 3+ miles all uphill, but the slope is not grueling and the return down does not beat you up. I highly recommend this as a nice contrast to the other high elevation sweeping view hikes. The lake is a beautiful destination and the trailhead's close access from Port Angeles is a nice plus.