Lake Angeles Trail

Lake Angeles Trail is a 6.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and snowshoeing and is best used from June until October.

Directions from Port Angeles: Find Hurricane Ridge Road behind the Pioneer Memorial Museum and drive southward along the highway 5 miles to the park entrance. Within the park the road climbs 3.5 miles southeastward to Lookout Rock. From this overlook Hurricane Ridge Road turns westward. Follow the road 5 miles to the Third Peak Trailhead, which lies on the western side of the road.

Hiked on 1/5. The trail has mild flooding in spots. (I was fine with waterproof trail runners and low cut gators.) Less snow than I expected.

Went there on Dec 30, about 2 miles up the trail became quite icy and also covered with light layer of snow so crampons should be used. The lake was frozen but beautiful.

Came here at the end of June. Ranger recommended this trail as it was very cloudy at hurricane ridge. According to him, who completed this trail numerous times, we'd get some beautiful views of the lake. About a mile into the hike, it started to get foggy then worse and worse as we progressed. By the time we reached the lake, it was not visible at all. To add salt to injury, there were hordes of mosquitoes near the water.

We didn't run into many people on the trail. Ran into a very cute deer on our way up. The fog and mossy trees made it a very eerie hike, as if we were hiking in a scary movie. Moisture in the air gave us a good facial. We left with very smooth skin.

I actually made a big loop by continuing on past the lake and following the trail (not always easy) clockwise. It was a really tough hike, totaling 12.64 miles and 8545 feet of elevation change. The elevation change is what made this hike so challenging for me. The hike to the lake wasn't too strenuous, and the lake itself is beautiful. I had mostly sunny skies and there weren't too many people out for a Saturday. Continuing up past the lake provides some pretty spectacular views looking back down. Going further, you start to hike over mountain passes, which provides plenty of great views, including of Hurricane Ridge. I hiked through snow for a few miles, though never more than 6 inches deep. The really demanding part for me (specifically, for my knees) was the last 4 or so miles, which is just a continuous downhill trek. It was quite an experience and I'm glad I did it, but I have no real desire to do that whole loop again. I would certainly recommend the hike to Lake Angeles and back, and would suggest hiking a bit past the lake for those great views from above.

Disappointed by this hike, mainly because is was so cloudy at the top that we could barely see the lake. I’m sure it’s beautiful. The forest on the way up is not remarkable.

This was our first hike in Olympic National Park. It was a hot and lush day, lots of bugs. We went for long stretches without seeing any other hikers and it was peaceful. Highly recommend this one.

Excellent hike! I'm in moderate shape and it took me just over 2 hours to get to the top. It is definitely a workout, steady uphill the entire way but well worth it. The lake looks enchanted with crystal clear water and smoke floating in and out. Highly recommend!

I did not see any wildlife aside from birds and squirrels.

Such an incredible hike! We hiked up in 1:45 hours and the view at the top is stunning. You can walk to the other side and jump of the rocks, have a picnic, or swim out to the little island in the middle. The water wasn’t too cold - and was crystal clear. You can camp overnight around the lake as well. We stopping for lunch and a swim before heading back down. The trail was very well maintained and you do not need a park pass for a day hike because the trailhead is just inside the Olympic National Park. Highly recommend!

Did an overnight stay here packing in our gear with us. The hike was a bit strenuous for someone who doesn’t do much hiking, but the experience was worth it. The hike itself is spent mainly in the trees with little sun in the afternoon, but plenty of views to make up for it at the top! Took about two hours with our group, toting gear and food for the nights stay. So warm up there didn’t even need a sleeping bag, just a hammock. Definitely coming back here for a longer stay soon!

Hiking in trees for the majority of the trail, with occasional peekaboo views. The lake and cliffs surrounding are picturesque. our group of 5 took 1 hour 45 min to get to lake and about an hour 20 to return. if you exercise regularly you'll break a sweat but should have no issue with the hike.

Very steep and rocky trail. Uphill all the way and downhill all the way down. Very tiresome. There are stunning panoramic views at the top. Just be ready to work hard to get there. Also, lots of mountain goats along the trail.

constant uphill hike, ended up not being as long as I expected but still required several breaks (I am also not in pristine shape - RIP my quadriceps). Definitely worth it for a view of the lake, though. Jumped in after lunch. EXTREMELY COLD on July 15th.

great hike! I wish I had gotten an overnight pass to camp up there, it was so beautiful and worthy of more time to explore around the lake. definitely bring bug spray, those mosquitoes are relentless!

I went about two weeks ago. I started around 3 and was back by 6. It took me about an hour and a half to get to the top. I ran periodically on the way down and made it right at an hour. it was chilly and foggy once I started down. It was beautiful and worth the sore legs on the way up.

Beautiful trail, great day hike! It is for sure a workout so bring plenty of water also it’s pretty heavily trafficked, so if you’re trying to avoid the crowds go early or late. The trek up is well worth it for the view!

6/2/18 Great trail in the forest, well maintained. The only real difficulty to this trail is the uphill. Took us about 90 minutes to reach the lake at a good pace, which included 10 minutes in short water breaks. Descending was slightly faster. The hike took about 3 hours total. Lake Angeles is stunning, still and very peaceful.

Passed several groups on our way, but not overly crowded. There were hikers of varying abilities on the trail hiking at different speeds.

5-27-2018 Lake completely melted out. Snow left on the ridge. Water is cold but feels great to jump in after the climb. Plenty of little fish if you plan to catch your lunch/dinner. Pack your trash out with you, people...

There is no snow on the trail except for the last few meters. The lake is partially frozen.

I hiked this 4/08/2018 and it was a beautiful trail a little more than half way up we hit ice and snow and it was hard to walk I was just in hiking boots but I was determined when I made it to the lake it was frozen over with about 3 feet of snow but beautiful.

I started the trail around 10. I reached the lake around noon. Luckily there was one other hiker that had started before me, or I would not have known where to go. The trail is covered in snow and closer to the top it gets around knee deep. I only had crampons but snow shoes and poles would have been nice.

Monday, January 22, 2018

Good trail! All uphill to the lake, not for the out of shape unless you have all day. We went during the winter so it was snowy about 30 minutes into it. Beautiful view at the lake though.

Sunday, January 21, 2018

hard and beautiful view❤️

Saturday, January 20, 2018

So pretty!

Saturday, January 20, 2018

Lovely trail. The ascent through the clouds and the forest is all made worthwhile when you’re greeted by the beautiful Lake Angeles. We did this hike about a week back, no snow shoes required.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Was not fully prepared for how difficult this trail was, but stuck it out and finished. it was absolutely worth it!! recommend bringing ample water PLUS purification tablets or other water filtration system. also might want to bring small snack to refuel at the top for your hike back down. Would definitely go back, except I would camp overnight instead of using as a day trail next time.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Great trail. Well maintained. If your up for the challenge it is worth it. Steady uphill the entire way. Gets more steep after about mile one.

Monday, October 16, 2017

Nice trail. View from top is nice.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Worth it.

The hike up through the woods is some work. And it's basically all woods. All the time. Watch out for a little monument stone on the way. A plane came down a couple years ago. After all those trees and the never ending ascend … you will find the lake. A pearl. You will not want to leave. Clear water. Great walls of rock surrounding you. A little island right in the middle of all of this beauty. We only dipped toes because the water was pretty cold already, but this is well worth a dive when temps are higher. Not too many people on the road when we hit the trail. Met two hikers at the lake. Were all alone after like 10 minutes. Just sitting there watching the trout having lunch. A great piece of nature.

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Amazing, basically a full uphill battle the whole way but the pay off is absolutely stunning

Monday, September 04, 2017

This trail has everything: beautiful alpine hike (uphill but not too steep), shaded by the forest, several bridge crossings of streams, no bugs... And the lake is stunning. Clear, refreshing water surrounded by cliffs. Island in the middle reachable for strong swimmers. Deer were scampering around camp. Several places to dry off after swim and eat lunch. Can't recommend this hike enough, highlight of our trip. 2.5 hours up, 1 hour 40 mins back. Plan for an hour (at least) at the lake to take it in and hike around the lake's perimeter.