Learn more

Lake 22 Trail is a 7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Granite Falls, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 7.0 mi Elevation gain 1,453 ft Route type Loop

Waypoints (5)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

Lake Twentytwo Trail is a beautiful hike to an alpine lake through old growth forests ending with stunning mountain views of Mount Pilchuck. The trail can be accessed off of Mountain Loop Highway in the North Cascades area of Washington State. The path starts out gently enough on a dirt staircase through rainforest. You will hear water trickling from twentytwo creek through the forest in several locations along the way. A bridge crosses the creek around a mile in where there is a particularly pretty waterfall. Here the trail gets steeper, with more rocks and some creek crossings. Gentle but persistent switchbacks lead to a long talus slope with the wall of Lake Twentytwo looming above, seemingly insurmountable. The talus is a jumble of sharp rock, but navigable. The trail switches back and heads toward the large stream which outlets from the lake where it finally flattens out. A bit further down the trail is you will encounter lake itself, a turquoise lake with an the enormous steep wall of Mount Pilchuck behind it. A path goes around the entire lake and it is worth the time it takes to do this extra loop trail. The trail is rocky, so sturdy hiking shoes or boots are necessary. Since there are creek crossings, waterproof hiking boots are recommended. This is a great hike, however it is very popular and can be crowded on weekends. It is best to get there early as parking fills up quickly.

Federal Northwest Forest Pass

Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest Darrington District (Verlot) 33515 Mountain Loop Highway Granite Falls, WA 98252 Tel:360.691.7791

From Granite Falls, E (left) for 13 miles on Mountain Loop Highway to trailhead on right, two miles past the Verlot Public Service Center.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (3261)
Photos (2528)
Recordings (1934)
Completed (7964)
Rashmi Sehgal
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 5, 2020
HikingBugsRockyScramble

Started around 7 and headed back around 10 after spending some time at the top. So crowded. So many people playing music out loud with no masks. Get there early.

Dini Maharani
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 5, 2020
HikingGreat!

This is a nice wonderful urban hike! The view of the lake is wonderful. I have been through this trail with snow, it is still as pretty as it is dry.

Sara june
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2020

Great hike

Es Mar
HikingMuddyRockyScramble

Harder trail but the view was 100% worth it. Definitely get there early if you want decent parking.

Barbara Froehlich
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2020
HikingRocky

A coworker wanted to do this hike, was a 3.2 hour drive but was worth every minute. This was such a unique trail and very easy I thought. Beautiful and the weather was amazing. Very few bugs also. We left our home town around 3:30 am to travel and thankful we got there early as we were leaving the crowd was coming in with force lol. I would not take animals or small children as rocks were very sharp and so humid for the tiny dogs. Thankful I went and had one of the most amazing times with my coworkers and daughter-in-law. Parking was a bit sketchy as a vehicle literally gave me inches to get in my vehicle in which I had to enter from the passengers side. But over all a great experience.

Ambita Surlekar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 3, 2020
HikingGreat!MuddyRocky

I did this trail on 1st August, a Saturday. The trailhead is approximately 1 hour away from Seattle. It was quite a good trail which took around 2 and a half hours to complete. The climb is quite good with a lot of flat surfaces but there were a few slippery rocks. The path is generally shady. The best part obviously is the lake with amazing views. considering its the most popular trail on this site, I expected to see a lot of crowd at the lake, but we got a nice secluded spot to get in the water and chill for some time. The parking was full by the time we reached (around 12 pm ) so we had to walk a bit to get to the trailhead. Overall quite a fun trail!

Michelle N.
HikingBugsGreat!MuddyRocky
View Michelle's Recording
Emily Orlock
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020
HikingGreat!

This hike was moderate, very well marked, and the views were incredible. I suggest maybe doing this trail early in the morning, and ending the day we Goat Lake trail!

Harsha Maddipati
View Harsha's Recording
Jacky Rodriguez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky
View Jacky's Recording
Kelly G.
HikingBugsMuddyRocky

This is a beautiful hike. However, I don’t recommend it during the weekends during the COVID-19 pandemic. I also recommend hiking another trail any day of the week, if the Lake 22 parking lot is full when you arrive. 4 stars for the trails and hike. 2 stars for the overall experience. Parking: Arrived early and had a proper parking spot in the lot. When I left, cars were everywhere in the lot and alongside the Mountain Loop road, literally next to countless “No Parking” signs. This explains why the first half of the hike (early morning) and going around the lake was great. An appropriate number of people relative to parking were on the trail. It was enjoyable and possible to stay socially distant. Hikers mostly wore masks or put one on when they saw a passing was pending. A few hikers had no masks or wore it, but as a bracelet or some other kind of accessory. By the afternoon, on the descent back, it felt like small stadiums emptying in opposite directions. In every direction, there were people not maintaining social distancing or even trying to follow any health or trail etiquette. Most of the hikers (conservatively more than 50%), were not wearing masks that were heading up to the lake and did not seem to know trail etiquette, creating a lot of closer than desired encounters when working out passing. Other descending hikers that came up behind me could have said, “May I pass you?” from six feet back and allowed for space to be given, but instead they moved up and followed close until I moved. A few of these hikers had dogs with them, some off leash and some on. I love dogs on the dog friendly trails and today none of the dogs knowingly got too close, but they should be at least six feet back too. Instead, I felt dogs were on my heels or ran up off leash in ways where their owners then got too close to handle them. Bathrooms: They are available at the trailhead; not sure about the toilets at the lake (didn’t check). There’s also toilet paper trash near the trail around spots that would have been nice to take a break in or stand in for social distant passing, indicating confusion over “Leave No Trace.” Trash: Appeared to be overflowing at the trailhead. Pack it in, pack it out would be better. Trail condition: Rocky and mostly dry, but there are muddy spots and simple stream crossings. A lot of rocks, so consider shoes with good ankle support that will thrive on rocky terrain and are waterproof for handling the small streams or stepping into the lake. The Lake: Aside from passing on the trails, it is most crowded at the start of the lakeside area where the loop meets. Pick a direction and you can find your own spots along the lake from there to enjoy. There are boardwalk segments and some rocky trail segments. There was visible snow in some spots, but not on the loop trail itself. It’s possible to do the full loop around the lake per current trail conditions. Safety: Zero bars/No cellular connectivity for Verizon. I read reports before I go and want us all to stay safe and stay healthy when we go outside. I’m sharing the rough experience today, because it would have been lovely to have minimal reminders of the pandemic while in such a beautiful place. Instead, it was stressful and we can do better to protect each other and our access to and experiences on these beautiful trails. Stay safe and healthy and remember this trail will be there in the future too, if the parking lot is full. If you get a parking spot, be aware it may turn into a crowded challenge before you get back to your car.

View Kelly's Recording
Lynette Frum
HikingBugsMuddyRocky

I have been spending a lot of time reading the reviews on this trail, and feel like some of them only give you half of the story! I would consider myself a semi-experienced hiker and felt it was more on the difficult side of moderate. There were definitely some challenges! Here’s what to expect mile for mile 1st mile- Nice walk onto the trail, you will need to climb over a bit of a muddy tree and there is definitely water/mud over that section of the trail. You will get some reprieve at the bridge that overlooks the waterfall before your steady incline to the Lake. 2nd mile- definitely some roots and stumps along the trail, another tree to climb around, steady incline to the 2nd waterfall lookout. There are a ton of designed trails that make it easier to navigate the trail up. last mile- words of wisdom- if you’re a beginner...TAKE IT SLOW! Shoot, if you’re experienced, take it slow too. This last mile before the Lake is sketchy..you will be walking up loose, large, sharp rocks that outline the mountain side for a good quarter + mile. Before you arrive at the lake, you’ll also have to navigate some smaller rocks and water on the trail. BOOM, then you’re in the presence of magnificent views! It’s TOTALLY worth it! The boardwalk around the lake is amazing too! Recommendations- Wear boots or waterproof hiking shoes, the more support the better Use walking poles, they do help with added stability especially during the rocky sections Bring snacks (you will get hungry) and a first aid kit..just in case. Bring your mask- highly trafficked trail especially in the afternoon Ensure your kids are comfortable with hiking unstable grounds Bring bug spray, those little blood suckers will eat you alive! Pros- Family friendly trail- really awesome people during the hike The views! Spectacular Well maintained trail Cons- A ton of bugs Challenging sections due to unstable grounds Bathroom is not maintained at trailhead No parking This says 1400 ft elevation, but according to my hiking watch, we gained up to 2400 feet of elevation at the highest point, and 1100 at lowest. Total trip- 3 miles to the lake, mile around lake.. took us about 3 hours up and back.

Rachael Papesh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020
HikingBugsMuddyRockyScrambleWashed out

My husband and I with our medium sized dog did this trail round trip in about 7 hours. I read reviews that it was suitable for dogs and children and that is not true in my opinion. Some parts are easy to moderate and just fine but other large sections are almost unsafe and treacherous at times. I myself rolled my ankle and slipped on sharp rocks multiple times and those same rocks along the trail going up and around the lake cut up my dogs paws very badly. We witnessed a lady slip and fall down a rocky part that had a lot of sharp and unstable rocks. We also overhead multiple people who brought children say they would never bring children on this trail again. Also came upon a washed out/mudslide section that was pretty difficult to get around. Besides all that I would return better prepared (extra sturdy hiking boots, poles, etc) but would never take my dog back. Arrive at sunrise to avoid the crowds. The lake makes the hard trail worth a return trip.