Lake 22 Trail

Lake 22 Trail is a 6.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Granite Falls, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

old growth

Lake Twentytwo Trail is a beautiful hike to an alpine lake through old growth forests ending with stunning mountain views of Mount Pilchuck. The trail can be accessed off of Mountain Loop Highway in the North Cascades area of Washington State. The path starts out gently enough on a dirt staircase through rainforest. You will hear water trickling from twentytwo creek through the forest in several locations along the way. A bridge crosses the creek around a mile in where there is a particularly pretty waterfall. Here the trail gets steeper, with more rocks and some creek crossings. Gentle but persistent switchbacks lead to a long talus slope with the wall of Lake Twentytwo looming above, seemingly insurmountable. The talus is a jumble of sharp rock, but navigable. The trail switches back and heads toward the large stream which outlets from the lake where it finally flattens out. A bit further down the trail is you will encounter lake itself, a turquoise lake with an the enormous steep wall of Mount Pilchuck behind it. A path goes around the entire lake and it is worth the time it takes to do this extra loop trail. The trail is rocky, so sturdy hiking shoes or boots are necessary. Since there are creek crossings, waterproof hiking boots are recommended. This is a great hike, however it is very popular and can be crowded on weekends. It is best to get there early as parking fills up quickly.

36 minutes ago

Very wet in places, lots of rocks to climb up andd over. Was hatingg all the stairs, but started to wish for them instead of the rocks.

Start this hike at 7:30 AM on 11/20/2017, and it took about 3 hrs roundtrip with tons of stops for photos. The lake was mostly frozen over, and there was lots of snow near the end of the trail but it's easy to walk through (well-traveled).

There is are some icy spots on the icy switchbacks, so be careful. The trail was fine with plain hiking boots though. Expect your feet to get soaked, because there's more than 50 water crossings (we counted on the way back). I suggest bringing an extra pair of socks and gloves to keep your feet and hands warm. We were freezing by the time we got to the lake, so we couldn't enjoy it for too long.

The view is beautiful. Literally a winter wonderland. Totally worth the wet clothes and feet. I would do this trail again in a heartbeat. A reasonable distance and relatively easy (other than navigating water crossings) for such a rewarding view of the lake and mountains.

Spectacular hike! Took an hour and 15 minutes ro get to the top. Well worth the trek. Some icy spots. Surely as the temp goes how the ice will build up with the precipitation that is to come. The boardwalks were beautiful and snows covered. The lake had a thin layer of ice on it.

I did this hike today in the rain and it was gorgeous! I really loved everything about it, so many sights of waterfalls and bridges, beautiful trees, etc! I will definitely go back

This is the best hike I’ve done so far; right at the top of my list of must-do-hikes. It was icy at places but we managed to do it with just waterproof boots and trekking poles... The trail gets snowy after a mile or so and the views are pretty awesome from then on. I was awe-struck after I caught the first glimpse of the lake and the huge mountain at the top. It literally felt like paradise on earth, something words can’t explain... Enough said, just go do it... It is an easy hike for a an experienced hiker. Make sure you pack an extra layer..

This is one of my new all-time favorite trails. it was slick and icy in spots. One fellow hiker I met seemed very happy to have microspikes and the lake boardwalk had about a foot and a half of snow on it. However, this hike was so worth it and spectacular in this weather. It felt like I was hiking through a magical Christmas forest. Can't wait to go back!

Stunning hike.

Beautiful place to visit. Part of the board walk around the lake was a little frozen and slippery but you have to be careful walking on it. I was there on Sunday., October 29th, 2017.

Wet, rocky hike with very nice payoff at the top--yes, do the loop to soak it all in. In late October through winter, this little north-facing valley, especially the lake basin, sees no sun, so pack an extra layer to keep warm when not actively hiking.

Beautiful! taking the extra loop around at the top is a must!

It was an unexpected moderate hike. My sister and I went during the week because it can get busy. The path gets narrow and steep but the reward is very breath taking. If you have bad knees, I recommend taking it easy. Wear good comfortable hiking shoes because the path gets very rocky.
Once you reach the top, there is multiply places to rest, grab a bite to eat, listen to the sounds and echos of nature.

This was my first real hike and it was awesome. Suggest not doing it in the rain or if you do plan for some weather proofing. We completed the whole hike in about 3 hours and by the time we reached the bottom we were soaked from head to toe. Very beautiful and peaceful. There is about a mile long section that is a little more difficult as it is mostly jagged rocks with never ending switchbacks. The lake at the top was absolutely beautiful. Will be doing this hike again in better weather for sure!