Lake 22 Trail is a 7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Granite Falls, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

partially paved

Lake Twentytwo Trail is a beautiful hike to an alpine lake through old growth forests ending with stunning mountain views of Mount Pilchuck. The trail can be accessed off of Mountain Loop Highway in the North Cascades area of Washington State. The path starts out gently enough on a dirt staircase through rainforest. You will hear water trickling from twentytwo creek through the forest in several locations along the way. A bridge crosses the creek around a mile in where there is a particularly pretty waterfall. Here the trail gets steeper, with more rocks and some creek crossings. Gentle but persistent switchbacks lead to a long talus slope with the wall of Lake Twentytwo looming above, seemingly insurmountable. The talus is a jumble of sharp rock, but navigable. The trail switches back and heads toward the large stream which outlets from the lake where it finally flattens out. A bit further down the trail is you will encounter lake itself, a turquoise lake with an the enormous steep wall of Mount Pilchuck behind it. A path goes around the entire lake and it is worth the time it takes to do this extra loop trail. The trail is rocky, so sturdy hiking shoes or boots are necessary. Since there are creek crossings, waterproof hiking boots are recommended. This is a great hike, however it is very popular and can be crowded on weekends. It is best to get there early as parking fills up quickly.

I hiked up lake 22 on 12/5.

Many parts of the trail was icy. It would be helpful to have spikes.we brought our spikes, but we didn't use them. However, it would have been a lot easier to go up and down certain parts had we had spikes on. The snow around the lake is absolutely beautiful. We walked around the lake, and the snow on a trail was packed.

Hiked to lake 22 today knowing that it is a very popular hike we thought a mid week hike would deter a lot of people. Well we were wrong. We arrived just before 9 and there was only 2 other cars in the parking lot. But on the way back down we ran in to everyone. I was a little underwhelmed by the hike after hearing all the hype. There is about 8 inches of snow once you hit the lake but since it has been so nice out for the past few days the snow is iced over and very compact. Did come across a few places that you had to watch your step because of water frozen over on the trail.

This is a nice trail, but very heavily trafficked (at least on weekends)
If it's not foggy, you can have a clear view of the valley somewhere near the lake. A lot of moss, a few waterfalls and river streams to cross, typical PNW landscape.

The lake is nice, was snowy when we went (Dec. 2nd).

Beautiful views of the Mountains. Some trees down over the path that are tricky to navigate. Really icy at the top and around the lake. The path around the lake isn’t an easy one, but worth the walk. Amazing pics!

Hiked Nov 3: NW Forest Pass needed, easy road terrain driving in, bathrooms at TH. Well-marked, slight incline/decline, trail was not slick, a few blow-downs, very very wet, sometimes feel as if you are walking through a waterfall while on the trail, although it was easy to navigate. Huge beautiful old growths and so many waterfalls, I lost count! Lake 22 was beautiful! Quite popular but not overcrowded. Can’t wait to come back in the Spring!

Great hike. Fairly easy. Boulder field towards the end was annoying but well worth it.

Great hike. Got to the parking lot around 10am, it was getting full but found a spot easily (maybe because it’s near the end of the season). The hike itself was not terribly difficult. I’m a beginner and I found the incline manageable and the distance was fine. The hard part was the rocks and water! The trail is very wet and has a ton of parts that are super rocky. I wouldn’t recommend bringing young children. The lake wasn’t the most satisfying end-point, but the hike up to it was lovely and everything was very picturesque. I’d do it again!

This was a truly beautiful hike! Lightly traveled on. Wednesday in October. Not recommended for beginners or children just due to the rocky portion for about half a mile. I’d also recommend poles for this same reason. I though the lake was rather lackluster but it was nice to have a goal and a good lunch spot. Amazing moss and waterfall!

Did this hike back in the beginning of March. Still had lots of fresh snow on the trail, we were able to hike the trail without of crampons. maybe if we had it on we would have been able to go up quicker. But, it was doable without them. It was perfect that day, we got there around 7ish and the parking was already full, not crowded but it was full.

I thought it was pretty easy though we did take a couple breathers

great trail that has a nice steady elevation.there are many rocks and streams to navigate around which can get a little slippery when things get really cold.

The Lake at the top is worth the climb. Got to trail around 10:20am and parking lot was full. The trail is well maintained but one needs waterproof hiking boots. Down hill was much harder since some parts of the trail have tons of loose rocks.

A fun hike with a decent climb. I started on the trail at 8:45 and ran into 4-5 groups on my way up. I started back at around 10 and the trail had gotten very busy.

Beautiful! Great hike!

Amazing.

We always skipped this hike because of how crowded it is, but I am so happy we went this weekend! Save the hike for a rainy day and you’ll have a near-empty trail. The colors at the lake are gorgeous right now. Slow and steady incline with a nearly flat walk around the lake.

Great trail. Might be rough for small children.

Nice

Beautiful area. It took us about 90min to reach the lake. It was rather foggy while we were at the lake, which restricted views but it was still beautiful. In cooler weather, watch out for ice glaze on the raised wooden platforms as you walk around the lake, they were really slippery, but don’t look it.

It took us 3 hr 45 minutes from start to finish, and according to my Fitbit, it was more like 7.5 miles. We arrived at 8:45am on a Saturday, and had no troubles finding parking.

That first leg to the lake was tough at times since it’s pretty steep sometimes, and the return is challenging because navigating the loose rocks while going downhill can be tricky, but I still managed fine and I’m no outdoorsy, hiking master, just an average person of average fitness levels. Though I was absolutely wiped at the end of it. Wear hiking shoes for sure though, you’ll want something with good traction. And ideally water resistant/proof, there was a lot of running water over the trails.

Absolutely stunning views! You follow a river basically all the way up the trail. This trail offers it all from feeling like you are in an enchanted forest to rocky mountain areas and then what everyone comes here for a freaking lake nestled into a snow capped mountain!

Great Hike! We went on a Wednesday, so it wasn’t very busy. I definitely suggest waterproof shoes since there’s lots of water run offs across the trail or an extra pair of socks. The lake was well worth the hike, I suggest taking the loop around the lake, we found a nice spot to picnic & watch the fish jump.

life changing!!!

Beautiful hike, totally worth the climb. Stunning lake

Crystal clear (but freezing!) lake at the top. A bit steep in parts but worth the effort. Many great places around the lake to wade in or have a picnic.

Really enjoyed this hike. The first half is quite easy, but it gets a bit more difficult closer to the lake with a lot of rocky terrain. The views get better as the hike gets more difficult though! We didn’t hike all the way around the lake, but enjoyed a good break there taking in the views. Clouds were low when we hiked, but it was still beautiful!

Bring water and waterproof shoes that help support ankles. Beautiful trail. Sharp rocks.

Love the lake and waterfalls. Trail is a stair-climber but very well maintained with no trail junctions (easy navigation).

Beautiful hike! You can hear streams and see waterfalls all throughout the hike. Get here early, the parking lot is full by 10:30 on the weekend. Lots of families and people hiking on the weekend but still did not feel crowded.

Beautiful hike with impressive views to the valley on the way up. Almost all of the hike is under heavy growth, so very pleasant and fragrant. Drastically insufficient parking, though the picnic area across the highway has a fair amount more. The lake is more impressive than I think most people expect it to be. It’s small but in a dramatic setting. Nice access to the shore for swimming. Possibly among the most rugged trails around, resembling a stream bed more than a trail for long stretches, especially the third quarter of the hike up, or so. Quite fatiguing especially on the way down, where each step is fairly calculated. Not a place for solitude, but quite lovely.

Magnificent old growth, gnarly beauties all along the trail, peekaboo waterfalls and many rivulet crossings even this dry season
Must go round the lake to appreciate the grand scale of Pilchuck backdrop with ice caves, giant talus boulders, and views across the lake
Sturdy shoes needed to traverse rugged, rocky stretches