Knothead Valley Loop

Knothead Valley Loop is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nine Mile Falls, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

Great hike that I wished allowed dogs! (Leave the pup at home).

I always forget how much I love Indian Painted Rocks and Knothead. In almost seven miles you'll manage to see baby ducks, ridiculous amounts of very vocal deer, turkey, red-headed woodpecker, bald eagle and a garter snakes. Oh and every species of blood sucking bug known to man. Don't forget your bug spray friends. Definitely tackle this one at sunset. The views from the top are some of the best in Spokane as the colors reflect off the Little Spokane River.

This is a great loop trail. We have done this several times. It's an easy walk along the river. The Knothead incline can kick your butt if you aren't used to doing any uphill trails. When Spring arrived we were in awe of all the beautiful wildflowers - the yellow aquatic iris are amazing...and wildlife we see when walking along the Spokane River. We have seen a moose, Deer with fawn, beaver, wild turkey with 3 chicks....

A bit of an asskicker of a trail run but really great training. My log came out to 9 but I had a goal of 9 that day so ran a bit extra on the highway to get there. All in all I will be doing this one as a trail run again.

Gorgeous views and a very enjoyable hike. Be sure to pack plenty of water, I went through almost three liters backpacking in the direct afternoon sun.

This was a really nice hike with a good variety in incline and landscape. The first part of the trail is along the river and we came across a huge field of wild yellow irises! Great photo opportunity. There's a tiny little bit of climbing over some rocks in the beginning but otherwise it's a clear trail which eventually meets a road you have to cross. Signage is clear and the trail is easy to follow. Around the third mile you start making your way up the hill for a beautiful view of Spokane river. There's a nice stop with rocks where you can sit and take in the view, but if you keep going a little further and venture off the trail just a bit (you'll reach the highest peak - go left off the trail) you'll get an even better view. But WATCH out for mosquitoes. We did this in the afternoon arriving at 2 pm. A couple hours in, the mosquitoes came out at full force. My lucky husband was fine but I'm basically mosquito food and I'm miserable today with over two dozen bites! They were really bad here. Will come back and do this in the morning...with bug spray. We only ran into one other couple the entire 7 mile hike! It was nice and quiet.

Great hike! Steady inclines, good workout. Beautiful views! Climb the hill and walk along the river. Toasty out today!

Great place to watch birds and breath fresh air

Nice trail. There is one spot where the map tells you to go through private property. If you follow the trail signs it brings you back around.

Well maintained single track with lots of wildlife and a beautiful sunset view from the top.

Great spring hike- saw white tail deer and lots of turkeys.

I did 8.18 miles today, did the loop and then a little more, I love this trail, saw so many deer & turkeys !!

Well kept trail. Pretty basic hike

This trail was awesome, a very good workout going up, but doable. The view from the top is vast and has a gorgeous lookout over the winding Spokane river.

Love this hike try to do it once a year. great view at the top. Have seen birds, including turkeys, water mammals, butterflys and wildflowers.

Long but worth it. A lot of this is uphill with beautiful views.

Really lovely walk.

Great hike. plan on having lunch at the top where there is a panoramic view of Spokane River.

Friday, July 28, 2017

Great 2.5 hr loop near town will be back

Friday, July 21, 2017

No dogs allowed

Friday, July 21, 2017

Parking lot was packed so I figured trail would be high traffic. Turns out everyone goes there to kayak, the trail was completely empty. Plenty of shade, quiet, and an awesome view.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

if you want an easy hike, just do the painted rock trail. knothead summit is climb, be prepared. well worth the trek up.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Make sure to bring water if you intend to do the full loop, as it is strenuous going up the hill. This was my first serious hike this year, and my body wasn't really ready for it. I enjoy challenges though, and I made it around (with a slight variation at the "top").