Knothead Valley Loop

Knothead Valley Loop is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nine Mile Falls, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

This trail requires a Discover Pass which is $10 for the day for $30 for the year. Go counterclockwise as the views going down from the saddle are best if looking west. This is a really nice hike with a good variety in incline and landscape. The first part of the trail is along the river and seasonally you will see wild yellow irises! Great photo opportunity. There's a tiny little bit of climbing over some rocks in the beginning but otherwise it's a clear trail which eventually meets a road you have to cross. Signage is clear and the trail is easy to follow. Around the third mile you start making your way up the hill for a beautiful view of Spokane river. There's a nice stop with rocks where you can sit and take in the view, but if you keep going a little further and venture off the trail just a bit (you'll reach the highest peak - go left off the trail) you'll get an even better view. But WATCH out for mosquitoes.

Definitely my favorite trail running loop in the northwest area of town. Go counterclockwise as the views going down from the saddle are best if looking west. Good elevation gain and sandy soil for easy treading. Another good run is heading towards St. George's school in the other side of the river. It's a good trail with a steep hill halfway to a nice view and then back down to the fish hatchery area.

Great hike, not one I'd do in hot weather but a sunny November day was perfect.
I would definitely recommend doing the loop in the counter-clockwise direction so you can hike up the majority of the elevation in the shade. This is a popular spot for good reason!

Beautiful with rocks, trees & littuSpokane river

This is a great trail, I hiked it yesterday in a little over 2 hours and 10 minutes. I love how diverse the landscape is! I will mention don’t start the loop by following the river, it turns into a LONG uphill climb vs heading out away from the river is more gradual then steep switchbacks for about half a mile. Right now the colors are stunning and the river was beautiful!

Great hike that I wished allowed dogs! (Leave the pup at home).

I always forget how much I love Indian Painted Rocks and Knothead. In almost seven miles you'll manage to see baby ducks, ridiculous amounts of very vocal deer, turkey, red-headed woodpecker, bald eagle and a garter snakes. Oh and every species of blood sucking bug known to man. Don't forget your bug spray friends. Definitely tackle this one at sunset. The views from the top are some of the best in Spokane as the colors reflect off the Little Spokane River.

This is a great loop trail. We have done this several times. It's an easy walk along the river. The Knothead incline can kick your butt if you aren't used to doing any uphill trails. When Spring arrived we were in awe of all the beautiful wildflowers - the yellow aquatic iris are amazing...and wildlife we see when walking along the Spokane River. We have seen a moose, Deer with fawn, beaver, wild turkey with 3 chicks....

A bit of an asskicker of a trail run but really great training. My log came out to 9 but I had a goal of 9 that day so ran a bit extra on the highway to get there. All in all I will be doing this one as a trail run again.

Gorgeous views and a very enjoyable hike. Be sure to pack plenty of water, I went through almost three liters backpacking in the direct afternoon sun.

This was a really nice hike with a good variety in incline and landscape. The first part of the trail is along the river and we came across a huge field of wild yellow irises! Great photo opportunity. There's a tiny little bit of climbing over some rocks in the beginning but otherwise it's a clear trail which eventually meets a road you have to cross. Signage is clear and the trail is easy to follow. Around the third mile you start making your way up the hill for a beautiful view of Spokane river. There's a nice stop with rocks where you can sit and take in the view, but if you keep going a little further and venture off the trail just a bit (you'll reach the highest peak - go left off the trail) you'll get an even better view. But WATCH out for mosquitoes. We did this in the afternoon arriving at 2 pm. A couple hours in, the mosquitoes came out at full force. My lucky husband was fine but I'm basically mosquito food and I'm miserable today with over two dozen bites! They were really bad here. Will come back and do this in the morning...with bug spray. We only ran into one other couple the entire 7 mile hike! It was nice and quiet.

Great hike! Steady inclines, good workout. Beautiful views! Climb the hill and walk along the river. Toasty out today!

Great place to watch birds and breath fresh air

Nice trail. There is one spot where the map tells you to go through private property. If you follow the trail signs it brings you back around.

Well maintained single track with lots of wildlife and a beautiful sunset view from the top.

Great spring hike- saw white tail deer and lots of turkeys.

I did 8.18 miles today, did the loop and then a little more, I love this trail, saw so many deer & turkeys !!

Well kept trail. Pretty basic hike

This trail was awesome, a very good workout going up, but doable. The view from the top is vast and has a gorgeous lookout over the winding Spokane river.

Sunday, December 24, 2017

Love this hike try to do it once a year. great view at the top. Have seen birds, including turkeys, water mammals, butterflys and wildflowers.

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Long but worth it. A lot of this is uphill with beautiful views.

Monday, October 30, 2017

Really lovely walk.

Monday, October 16, 2017

Great hike. plan on having lunch at the top where there is a panoramic view of Spokane River.

Friday, July 28, 2017

Great 2.5 hr loop near town will be back

Friday, July 21, 2017

No dogs allowed

Friday, July 21, 2017

Parking lot was packed so I figured trail would be high traffic. Turns out everyone goes there to kayak, the trail was completely empty. Plenty of shade, quiet, and an awesome view.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

if you want an easy hike, just do the painted rock trail. knothead summit is climb, be prepared. well worth the trek up.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Make sure to bring water if you intend to do the full loop, as it is strenuous going up the hill. This was my first serious hike this year, and my body wasn't really ready for it. I enjoy challenges though, and I made it around (with a slight variation at the "top").