Learn more

Kloshe Nanitch Trail is a 6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Forks, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 6.0 mi Elevation gain 2,421 ft Route type Out & Back

Description
Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Getting There

Once the site of a historic lookout, this craggy, ridgetop perch serves up excellent views of Lake Crescent, Mount Olympus, and the Sol Duc river valley. Kloshe Nanitch, Chinook for "take care" or "look out" served as the site of a fire watch for many years. Originally built in 1917 the site was abandoned and destroyed in 1963. On clear days, the views extend all the way to the Pacific Ocean and James Island.

Discover pass required

The lower trailhead is at the end of W. Snider Road, near US Highway 101, milepost 211, 20 miles east of Forks and 40 miles west of Port Angeles. FS Road 3040-595 accesses the upper trailhead at the Kloshe Nanitch lookout. It is a steep, rocky one-lane road with turnouts that requires experienced back road drivers and high clearance vehicles.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (32)
Photos (35)
Recordings (20)
Completed (50)
Christopher Wayland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 19, 2020
HikingOver grown

Hiked on 7/18 around 11am - This is a solid 3.5 star trail in that the lookout at the top is really the only view you are given. Its an old fire lookout and you can definitely see why - very beautiful up top and you can make out La Push on a clear day. The trail itself is very overgrown, definitely recommend pants as the constant brush on your legs is an issue. 90% of the trail is shaded, so the midday trek was not an issue for us. The grade is pretty severe - you will be going up 2,400ish ft in 3 miles, so be prepared for that haul. It took us about 2 hours to get up and an hour to get back down, although admittedly we were long past due for pb&j sandwiches so we were working in high gear to get to the top. - Trail is narrow, like really narrow at spots. Had to be weary of our footing because of the shear edges of the trail. but - DOG FRIENDLY. Hallelujah am I right? This one definitely got the zoomies out, our Aussie mix was conked out afterwards. - (There is a bathroom up top, but it is closed. The lookout is also accessible by car and has 3 marked parking spots)

Gwen K.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 19, 2020
HikingBugs

so so so fun. everyone saying the trail is boring doesn't know what they're talking about. It's challenging but has a few glimpses of great views on the way up. streams, waterfalls, wildflowers (seasonally I assume). And even without all of that, the view at the top is worth 5 stars on it's own. One of my new favorite hikes for sure. took us about 3 hours up and 1.5 hours down. and we're not super strong hikers either.

Brittany Mishra
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 18, 2020
HikingBugsGreat!Over grown

I consider this a challenging hike due to the elevation gain and vertical climb. There are no scrambles, but parts of the trail are starting to erode which can challenge your footing. Parts of the trails do not have enough space for having two people to hike abreast. Thank goodness for the sal al that is keeping the trail somewhat intact. View at the top is fantastic and we were able to see clearly all the way to Mount Olympus and Crescent Lake. We did this hike later in the day and had just enough sunlight to make back to our truck. Overall rewarding hike, but I would rate this as hard.

Alexis N.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 30, 2020
BugsOver grown

The views are incredible and worth the incline. I love a good old PNW forest, but there wasn't much memorable about this path. Great to get outside and hike - just nothing striking along the way. We parked off of West Snider Road. GPS did not take us to a campsite. From this parking area to the overlook it was 3.6 miles. Roundtrip 7.5 miles (we stopped at a few spots along the Sol Duc River). There are a lot of twists and turns on this one and much of the salal is overgrown. Partner and I hiked this on a clear Monday afternoon. Took us about 3 hours to get to the top and 1.5 down. We were the only ones in the lot and on the trail.

Dan Kruger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 25, 2020

The campground you have to drive through to get to the trailhead is closed and gated off. I have not hiked the trail for this reason, so I hope they ignore my stars rating.

Yul'a S.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 20, 2020
Hiking

the trail is beautiful just expect that the incline will be relatively steep. we made it about half way up in 1.5 hours

View Yul'a's Recording
whitlei Raines
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 20, 2020
Hiking

A few small trees have fallen on the path, but easy to get over. Near the platform you will hit a bit of snow. No micro-spikes needed, just take it easy. I am not sure why the reviews are bad for this trail. It was narrow path with little waterfalls and peekaboo views of the Mountains. At the top, it is beautiful! Well worth the hike up.

View whitlei's Recording
Tahnee Orcutt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 17, 2020
HikingMuddyOver grownSnow

Couple things to note. elevation listed is correct, mileage is not. From the parking lot to the platform it is 7 miles. The trail you can download stops a half mile or so from the actual platform but you just keep heading towards the bathroom markers. There are a couple trees down and several water crossings that are very manageable. The trail itself is very narrow, at roughly the 2 mile marker you will hit considerable snow. Snowshoes would be overkill and may not even fit on the path, poles and spikes are helpful. Not sure why there are so many negative reviews on here, its a standard hike with switchbacks through the woods. There are peekaboo views of the mountains along the way. The view at the top is amazing on a clear day!

Kristen Catino
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 10, 2018

My husband, dog and I went on my birthday. It’s nice and all but we didn’t even make it all the way up. I wish we had. The hike itself was just so boring, uneventful, and exhausting. We passed two groups on our way back down, both of which seemed quite over it as well. We are not huge hikers and we just moved up here from Florida so take this review with a grain of salt. It was interesting and I liked it because it was a new experience but not because it was some amazing hike.

Jess Jones
Hiking

Everyone is pretty spot on with the review. The hike isn't much up, but the view is stunning at the top. Which you could drive too, but we needed the walk. You can follow our camping adventures here if you're interested; https://jtjones5525.wixsite.com/ramblinggal

Ross Shafrath
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 31, 2018

I agree with the other reviews. More of hard uneventful hike. The view up top at the platform is pretty nice but the hike itself is pretty average. The river walk at the bottom is beautiful and short though. Add that in. Follow all our adventures on Instagram @themicrotourists.

Paul Carter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 12, 2018

Hiked on Saturday 2/10/18. Nice moderate hike through the forest to the lookout. Only saw a few patches of snow as we were nearing the top. Took just under two hours to reach the top. Guidebook said 6.4 miles, signage indicated 8. I’d guess closer to 8. Only saw 4 other people.

Merissa Murner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 7, 2017

Blahhhhh

Cristina Marinovici
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 18, 2017
Hiking

The trail is steep, correct rating may be moderate to hard. There is a lot of vegetation in the trail, brushing you as you pass. Also we encountered 20 fallen trees on the trail. We had a hazy day that let a lot of humidity in the air and in the forest. This translated into wet gear in the way to the top. Once on top, the wind pushed the clouds away and we had lunch in the sun and dried our clothes a bit. By the time we were ready to live, the sky cleared out and we had a great view of the valley underneath the observation deck. If it's sunny it is an enjoyable hike. If you want to cheat, there is a forest service road that can bring you to the top, without breaking a sweat.

Hali Sayers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 29, 2017
Hiking

It's about 3.5miles to an intersection which you can choose to go between two lookout points .5miles or 1.5miles. We went to the shortest one and it was beautiful. The white structure is not on the shorter loop. Look for the trail to start on the left hand side after you enter the paved walking path.

Dorian Colling
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 14, 2016
Hiking

Great little hike in the summer. In the shade all the way long , haven't seen anyone on it so very quiet. spring water on the way which was great for my dog. Amazing view on the lake and mountains.

Tarah Zentz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 19, 2014
OHV/Off Road Driving

OK, I'm not gonna lie, I drove to the top. I was alone though and wasn't 100% certain where the trail started and didn't want to get lost- honestly I don't know how I navigated my way up there via road but somehow did. Gorgeous views from the top!

Aron Hess
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 25, 2011
First to Review

Did this one a couple weeks ago and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. It's a steady climb all the way to the top, but what surprised me the most was all the chanterelle mushrooms within reach of the trail. On the way back down I picked probably 8 pounds of them. Last pick of the season because the snow and frost arrived shortly after.

Val S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020
View Val's Recording
Alec Lynch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 13, 2020
View Alec 's Recording
S M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 31, 2020
Walking
View S's Recording
Brenda Longmire
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 29, 2020
View Brenda's Recording
Bryant Reininger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 26, 2020
View Bryant's Recording
Cecelia Doty
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 10, 2019
Tish White
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2019
View Tish's Recording