Kloochman Rock Climb

Kloochman Rock Climb is a 1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Naches, Washington that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for rock climbing and nature trips and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.0 miles Elevation Gain: 177 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

I would not consider this a hike. It is definitely more of a scramble/climb. But it is fun, quick to do and has a nice view at the top. I have not brought my dog here and don’t think I would.

Route finding may be helpful as this isn’t marked at all. Decent trail that starts out downhill along a double track for about 0.3 mile then comes to a Y at a very low spot/mud pit . Take the right and follow the single track trail down lower underneath the forest canopy and along the base of Kloochman. Then the trail starts up at a moderate incline across scree and choss all the way along the SW face and it will end abruptly at a double chute filled with rotten rock. I stopped and found a perch to eat lunch, as I was alone and had no climbing helmet or gear. Beauty of a lookout from here. I bet the top is even better. Total length to the chutes was about 0.9mi.

Wed Dec 20 2017

Great climb/hike. Go in the fall. Less traffic (rock fall in gully from other partys) . Easy climb. Great view of Rimrick Lake and Divide Ridge..

Fri Jul 10 2015

Good views, but the rock is unstable. If you like sharp, large, loose scree, then this is your ticket. It would be a blast of a scramble, but the main rock faces are too unstable to climb, so you have to stay in the scree fields (I pulled a hold off along with a beachball-sized crumble of rocks--my friend was below and thankfully has quick reflexes or he would have been in trouble). The views from the top are lovely though, looking out over Rimrock Lake towards White Pass.

Fri Feb 13 2015

Great views but a little bit of a dangerous scramble to the top. I hike a lot of stuff, this jarred me a bit. The "trail" is slippery shale rock the whole way up. The top has phenomenal views but expect a lot of wind! All and all, I'm going again!

Sun Aug 03 2014

great day hike/climb to the top. short, but vertical. when it gets really steep we chose to climb rocks to the left of the trail because they were more stable underfoot. theres not really a trail head that any of us knew about so we just parked close enough and started in that direction. eventually youll find a path closer to the base. great vews of rimrock lake and surrounding mountains.

Sat Jun 23 2018