Klahhane Ridge Trail to Lake Angeles

Klahhane Ridge Trail to Lake Angeles is a 12.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, bird watching, and horses and is best used from June until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 12.6 miles Elevation Gain: 4,514 feet Route Type: Out & Back

No permits needed, parking is free

Amazing trail! 9/19/2019. The views were spectacular! Clear day, Glacier views from Hurricane Ridge visitors center before heading out. Trail is a mix of incline & decent. Not too strenuous. Abundant deer on hike. A good mix of wooded and open areas. From the top- our lunch spot, you could see clearly to Canada. Absolutely recommend this one!

Hiked to the Ridge on a perfectly sunny day in late July. The hike up to the ridge was stunning. The switchbacks up to the ridge we’re challenging but worth it. Stayed at the top for an hour lunch break taking in the views.

Walk along steep embankments and up steep rocky trails. Worth it when you see the views.

That was a crazy trail!!!! To the Ridge was fine, I loved the changes in geography. The ridge to lake is very difficult!!! Some parts even dangerous! Take your trekking poles! Be prepared for brutal elevation gains/losses, I am super tired. Did this as a day hike.

came on labor day so of course the parking lot was filling up. Didn't hike all the way to Angeles lake, but stopped at the klahane ridge for spectacular views of many mountain ranges and ate lunch. tons of wildlife. had a great time and will certainly be back to hike the connecting trails. Hiking poles reccomended however not necessary.

Only reason I rate this a 4/5 is how narrow the trail gets at times. Very rocky and steel drops! The views were amazing , worth the awful switchbacks

Beautiful trail ! A horrible cloud rolled in around noon and so I couldn’t see anything most of the hike but it was still really nice !

Hurricane Ridge has amazing views and we enjoyed this hike more than Hurricane Hill because there were fewer people on the trail. Also, this trail is more rustic (mostly a natural single track versus a double track on machine compacted gravel). Like some others, we turned around at Klahhane Ridge to keep the hike within our abilities -- around an 8-mile round trip with only about 1/3 of the elevation gain of the entire Lake route.

The further you go, the fewer the people, the more the fog and the wind. Patches of wildflower colors and bitter Fir tips in late August. Several groups of deer with many handsome bucks in full velvet. Excellent single track, very well maintained. Would like to return and hope for more expansive views, still; enjoyed swimming in the wisps of fog at Mount Angeles.

Very beautiful the entire way. I did not go the entire way to Lake Angeles, but stopped where everyone was having lunch the end of Klahane Ridge. Be aware that this is an up and down, out and back trail so when you're heading back be prepared for another uphill battle towards the end.The last bit of Klahhnane Ridge is GRUESOME. Endless switchbacks with a very steep grade, don't let the easy beginning portion of the hike fool you. Also, if you are afraid of heights, I would not recommend this trail. The entire trail is single lane (very tiny) and you go along many sheer drops to one side with no barrier. I am not afraid of heights, but these portions of the trail were definitely vertigo inducing and had me freaking out inside. All in all, worth the view and hike. Try to avoid going on a cloudy or foggy day if you can because you won't be able to see any of the magnificent views. Would definitely recommend for the experienced hiker.

Great views of snow capped mountains. Could see out over ocean at top of the switchbacks.

great trail from Hurricane ridge to Klahane ridge, the wow are the views through out and particularly about 1/2 mile into the Klahane ridge trail. they include sweeping views of ONP, P of A, and wildflowers.

We did this yesterday via Switchback and it was stellar. Views forever! Perfect weather. Lots of people in the first bit to the first big view, then apparently most folks turned around. Unfortunately, my son lost his cell phone somewhere along the trail.. If anyone finds it, please email us at abcdelupton@gmail.com. Thanks so much!

By far one of the best hikes in the area, and also one of the toughest hikes I've done in a while. Visibility was very poor for most of the hike and I encountered several people who'd turned back because they were disappointed by the lack of views. Personally, that was their loss; the trail was absolutely wonderful even when the fog was so thick that I couldn't see more than 100 ft down the trail. On the rare occasion that the fog broke open enough to offer a view, the sight was breathtaking. It was almost otherworldly. I will say that the elevation gain on the way back is a real leg-burner, even if you pause at the lake to explore and eat lunch. The trail is also a little slippery in the areas where melted snow has left behind super squishy patches of mud and there are some steep stretches of trail, so a hiking stick comes in very handy. As far as wildlife goes, there were deer everywhere, and tons of birds and other little critters. I didn't see any bears or cougars this time around, but I did come across plenty of fresh scat and tracks from both. Be sure to bring bug spray if you plan on hanging around the lake; the rest of the trail seems to be mosquito-free.

We started the day at the visitors center, then backpacked from Hurricane ridge to Kihanee ridge, down to Lake Angeles. This trail or route is not for the faint of heart especially wearing a backpack. we Walked through snow. water, rock scrambles elevation loss and gain. Seen so many animals and the most beautiful scenery. Although hard, the views make up for the terrain and because of the holiday we got the lake to our selves. Beautiful couple of days ... remember to pack extra water, there is only one place to fill up on a overlook going down the ridge

We decided to do a portion of this trail off of Cirque Rim since Hurricane Hill was closed for construction. Amazing views surrounding yourself with the mountains and a perfect trail that is on sides of steep hills.

Very nice hike with some decent elevation change. Saw multiple deer as well as a black bear about one hundred yards off the trail. Trail is not very wide at some parts so you have to move over for other hikers. Overall a great hike

Fantastic hike through all kinds of landscapes: forest, meadow, sub-alpine, and alpine. I started at the visitor center parking lot and stopped about a 1/2 mile past the junction with Heather Park trail due to excessive snow fields. After the first 3/4 of a mile from the visitor center lot, (when there aren’t fog or clouds) is one of the best “bang for the buck” hikes I’ve taken. Panoramic views of the Olympics to the South and the Sound to the North. Also, stunning views when you get to the junction with Heather Park trail, but that’s when the fog rolled in. So, I’m sure I didn’t even see the best of it. Trail is in good condition for the most part, but there is one 1/4 mile stretch about a mile from the visitor center trailhead that still has substantial snow. Crossing was ok with boot stomping and poles, but finding the switchback trail that descends to the valley was somewhat challenging. Should be better soon.

Wonder trail, although part of it was snow covered in May last week.

This may be my favorite trail in ONP thus far. There is just so much to see....I have done both the Switchback trail and hiked across to Klahane from the Hurricane Ridge Viisitor's Center because switchback was closed. I have to say the former was much preferred. Though more challenging grade-wise, the Switchback trail takes half of the time. I also encountered more widlife; including a substantial herd of goats and their kids going this route. In the summer, the flowers and meadows will take your breath away on the way up. I kept stopping to take in the views! You see the Olympics, Baker, Rainier, down below to Port Angeles and the water....simply incredible. Feeding the whiskey jacks is always fun, as is running the ridgeline. I have never descended completely to the lake, others have warned that unless you plan on camping or start very early not to attempt it. I have never had too much of an issue with bugs here. Goats were not aggressive, but very aware of our presence and wary. They were lying right on the trail. My last trip up (October 2018): Switchback trail closed, new signage warning of cougar sightings at the top. Socked in by fog with no views. Love love love this area.

We didn’t go all the way to the lake based on feedback from various other hikers that it wasn’t worth the trek down but we hiked the full ridge and quite enjoyed it. Very quiet hike with a couple marmot sightings.

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

This trail is absolutely incredible. It will challenge you greatly, but it will be so worth it.