Klahhane Ridge Trail to Lake Angeles

Klahhane Ridge Trail to Lake Angeles is a 12.6 mile out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and horses and is best used from June until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

No permits needed, parking is free

Hiked only to the switchbacks. Great views most of the way. Does have quite a bit of elevation gain and loss. Did it on a day it was hot and sunny. I would recommend doing this on a day it's overcast because there is very little coverage during the hike.

Like others, only did part of this trail, mainly the ridge walking. Great, great views, and not too challenging.

We only did part of the trail-stopped about 2 miles up. Had great views the entire way. Did not see any wildlife, but did see some nice wildflowers and my kids (8 and 10) loved the views. (There is a decent amount of uphill!

Hiked this with the teenage kids today (July), just to the top of the switchbacks. Clear skies, unbeatable views of glacier tops and San Juan de Fuca. Saw bear, grouse, goat (invasive but fun to see), and all kinds of blooming flora.

challenging but worth it!! watch out for the somewhat aggressive goat herd. the views are incredible

Hiked in to the lake on 7/21 from Heart 'O the Hills trailhead, spent the night at Lake Angeles and then hiked out the switchback trail from Klahhane Ridge. Saw a couple of goats and a mama grouse with 4 chicks. Wildflowers were beautiful. Lots of mosquitoes at the lake so bring bug spray!

We saw a herd of mountain goats when we got up to the ridge. What a beautiful sight to see!

Beautiful trail-did the last part of it around Lake Angeles the other day!

A beautiful ridge hike with lots of mountain meadow views as well as a really nice panorama of the mountains of the Olympic National Park.

Goats!!

Beautiful trail, however due to snow & my inability to find the trail I was unable to do the full thing. I started the ridge near the Hurricane Ridge Visitor Center & it was absolutely beautiful, great completely different views on both sides. I went as far as I could then turned back & drove to the Switchback trailhead, as expected it was a challenge. I climbed through a lot of snow & eventually wasn’t able to continue, I conveniently stopped on some boulders & had a great view of the lake from above. The first part of the trail on the ridge was my favorite part; wildflower, snow covered mountain & Strait of Juan de Fuca views all at the same time.

This was an amazing hike. Pretty steep incline on some parts. The view at the top of the ridge was spectacular!!

This was our favorite hike we did in the park. We didn’t go all the way to the lake, but the ridge had incredible views. When we went there was a bit of snow left including a snow field but didn’t come across any big problems with only our boots. There are 12-13 switchbacks once you meet Switchback Trail but the views are well worth it. We saw deer, marmots and mountain goats. I’d recommend this to anyone.

There's a fair bit of construction on the drive up to Hurricane Ridge right now, but it's definitely worth it. There's still snow up on the ridge though so definitely bring spikes. We only made it a mile and a half into the trail before having to turn back because the snow was so packed down and slippery. Will definitely try this trail again in June or July when there's no snow!

Was a tough one for me. Not a fan of switchbacks, but they are a necessary evil for this hike! The reward at the top is worth every painful step

Fantastic variety in this ridge hike. A few steep points and the 13 switchbacks make this on the more challenging end of moderate. Great views across to Canada and of Mt Baker

Saturday, August 19, 2017

I hiked this trail appx 8 miles out and back from the Hurricane Ridge Visitor's Center to Heather Park trail. The views were beautiful throughout and the final mile up involved multiple switchbacks. I saw wildlife including deer and mountain goats. The goats were on the trail initially but eventually moved off trail to let hikers by. You can continue past the peak to Lake Angeles.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Steep trail, but it was worth it. Saw a group of five mtn goats with a baby, a marmot, and a few deer.

Friday, July 15, 2016

Excellent!

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Weather was perfect, and the wildlife was plentiful. Saw plenty of deer, a black bear, and a pair of mountain goats. There was one section of the trail under snow, but it was fairly easy to navigate even without trekking polls.

Friday, January 08, 2016

We did this one from the Hurricane Ridge visitor's center right after we did Hurricane Hill. Saw mountain goats and Olympic Marmots. Gorgeous views.

Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Beautiful. The lake Angeles-khlahhane-heather park loop rocks!

Monday, September 15, 2014

Hike with wildlife record. We saw goats, deers, marmots, gray jay and rabbit. Gorgeous views. Only partly shaded - bring some sunscreen. We only did about half way to avoid going down the valley and coming back up. I think the view is fairly similar half way and end point

Thursday, August 08, 2013

This was my first hike in Olympic national park and I don't think I could've picked a nicer one. We camped out overnight 3.4 miles in at lake angles. There is a cool rock outcropping on the far side of the lake which we were doing all kinds of jumps and backflips off of into the water. We also swam out to the island in the middle of the lake. I climbed about halfway to Kahhlane ridge for both the sunset the first night and sunrise the next morning which was majestic. After that I hiked the 9ish miles remaining of the loop. It was possibly the most beautiful hike for about 6 of those miles that I've ever done in my life. Beautiful views in all directions of Canada, Mt Baker, Mt Olympus, the Lake below and out to the Pacific Ocean. I took quite a few detours off the trail to climb up to higher locations for even more beautiful views. Would highly recommend to anyone capable. Is entirely reasonable as a day hike as well but the extra time spent at the lake was a blessing.

Saturday, June 01, 2013

Listed at 13 miles round trip, but 6 miles there and back from Hurricane Ridge. This direction is a up and down hike, with switchbacks at the end. Excellent mountain, wildflower, meadow, wildlife views. Watch for mountain goats and bears.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

This was a demanding hike. The trail is a 13 miles long loop trail. The first four hours was climbing up through really long switchbacks in a misty surreal cedar forest. Then we cleared the trees and continued climbing up a winding gravelly for another hour. Soon after we reached the top of the ridge line and started following it for the next few hours. About the time we spotted the trail sign we had been looking for we also saw the biggest mountain goat I've ever seen in my life scratching his horns on the sign (I have this on video). Again, soon after we finally started heading back down. This loop took us 14 hours (with few breaks). The views along the way were worth every drop of sweat. When on the ridge line one side of the mountain was all misty but the other was clear (we looked down on the clouds). We also saw several glaciers and had to cross one (would have been a long slide down). This trail has an elevation change of over a mile (each way). I loved it!!!