Klahhane Ridge Trail to Lake Angeles

Klahhane Ridge Trail to Lake Angeles is a 12.6 mile out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and horses and is best used from June until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

No permits needed, parking is free

We didn’t go all the way to the lake based on feedback from various other hikers that it wasn’t worth the trek down but we hiked the full ridge and quite enjoyed it. Very quiet hike with a couple marmot sightings.

This trail is absolutely incredible. It will challenge you greatly, but it will be so worth it.

If you want to hike some ridges, then this is your trail. I hiked this trail in early October. The weather was dynamic that day, it started off with foggy clouds and low visibility. Then there was light snow, but it didn’t stick to the ground. Eventually it started to snow harder and wind gusts picked up at the beginning of the hike. Throughout the hike the weather would clear up then go back to cloudiness and snowfall, and then clear up again, and repeat. The temperature was right around 30 degree Fahrenheit not including wind chill. I took the trail to Lake Angeles trail and attempted to have a late lunch, but the wind chill and the cooling effect from the lake made relaxing there somewhat bitter. The hike is definitely moderate. There is a switchback section, and the trail that leads from the ridge to the lake involves an estimated 2000ft descent/ascent. There are several lookout points along the route, but you may miss some depending on visibility and clouds. The trail is mostly rock and dirt, and can be slick if the trail is wet. I did not see much wildlife except for a bunny and some birds, but the views and lake made the hike well worth it. Definitely recommend this trail during spring and summer months.

This was our last hike on our trip to Washington and the landscape was gorgeous. You can access this trail right from the visitors' center. I loved how the trail carved into the steep mountain side and the constant view of Hurricane Ridge. I remember lots of bees, steep and exhausting switchbacks, and the best rock on which I ever ate a peanut butter sandwich. Highly recommend this rewarding hike.

We hiked this trail on a gorgeous sunny day (not much coverage so don’t forget your SPF + bug spray). Narrow pathways in some parts but nothing too scary. Beautiful panoramic views on both sides! We only hiked out about 2 miles before turning around as we felt like we had seen most of what we wanted to see. Upon return we encountered a black bear walking along the path (specifically the long stretch of steep, exposed trail), thanks to a few others that had seen and called out the bear moments before, we stayed back and let the bear cross out of the path and on his way. Safe to say it made this hike even more exciting!

We hiked this trail today and started nice and early, which we were glad for as the trail doesn’t have all that much coverage on the way down to the lake. It was a very challenging hike, and due to the smoke coming in from the forest fires, were not sure the difficulty was worth the pay off in views. I also found Lake Angeles itself to be underwhelming which was disappointing as it was the pinnacle of our hike. I definitely feel accomplished after finishing it, but disappointed that we saw no wildlife (animals) and few wildflowers. It was a quick trip into the park from our Airbnb in Port Angeles, which was nice

Hiked only to the switchbacks. Great views most of the way. Does have quite a bit of elevation gain and loss. Did it on a day it was hot and sunny. I would recommend doing this on a day it's overcast because there is very little coverage during the hike.

Like others, only did part of this trail, mainly the ridge walking. Great, great views, and not too challenging.

We only did part of the trail-stopped about 2 miles up. Had great views the entire way. Did not see any wildlife, but did see some nice wildflowers and my kids (8 and 10) loved the views. (There is a decent amount of uphill!

Hiked this with the teenage kids today (July), just to the top of the switchbacks. Clear skies, unbeatable views of glacier tops and San Juan de Fuca. Saw bear, grouse, goat (invasive but fun to see), and all kinds of blooming flora.

challenging but worth it!! watch out for the somewhat aggressive goat herd. the views are incredible

Hiked in to the lake on 7/21 from Heart 'O the Hills trailhead, spent the night at Lake Angeles and then hiked out the switchback trail from Klahhane Ridge. Saw a couple of goats and a mama grouse with 4 chicks. Wildflowers were beautiful. Lots of mosquitoes at the lake so bring bug spray!

We saw a herd of mountain goats when we got up to the ridge. What a beautiful sight to see!

Beautiful trail-did the last part of it around Lake Angeles the other day!

A beautiful ridge hike with lots of mountain meadow views as well as a really nice panorama of the mountains of the Olympic National Park.

Goats!!

Beautiful trail, however due to snow & my inability to find the trail I was unable to do the full thing. I started the ridge near the Hurricane Ridge Visitor Center & it was absolutely beautiful, great completely different views on both sides. I went as far as I could then turned back & drove to the Switchback trailhead, as expected it was a challenge. I climbed through a lot of snow & eventually wasn’t able to continue, I conveniently stopped on some boulders & had a great view of the lake from above. The first part of the trail on the ridge was my favorite part; wildflower, snow covered mountain & Strait of Juan de Fuca views all at the same time.

This was an amazing hike. Pretty steep incline on some parts. The view at the top of the ridge was spectacular!!

This was our favorite hike we did in the park. We didn’t go all the way to the lake, but the ridge had incredible views. When we went there was a bit of snow left including a snow field but didn’t come across any big problems with only our boots. There are 12-13 switchbacks once you meet Switchback Trail but the views are well worth it. We saw deer, marmots and mountain goats. I’d recommend this to anyone.

There's a fair bit of construction on the drive up to Hurricane Ridge right now, but it's definitely worth it. There's still snow up on the ridge though so definitely bring spikes. We only made it a mile and a half into the trail before having to turn back because the snow was so packed down and slippery. Will definitely try this trail again in June or July when there's no snow!

Was a tough one for me. Not a fan of switchbacks, but they are a necessary evil for this hike! The reward at the top is worth every painful step

Monday, September 04, 2017

Fantastic variety in this ridge hike. A few steep points and the 13 switchbacks make this on the more challenging end of moderate. Great views across to Canada and of Mt Baker

Saturday, August 19, 2017

I hiked this trail appx 8 miles out and back from the Hurricane Ridge Visitor's Center to Heather Park trail. The views were beautiful throughout and the final mile up involved multiple switchbacks. I saw wildlife including deer and mountain goats. The goats were on the trail initially but eventually moved off trail to let hikers by. You can continue past the peak to Lake Angeles.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Steep trail, but it was worth it. Saw a group of five mtn goats with a baby, a marmot, and a few deer.

Friday, July 15, 2016

Excellent!

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Weather was perfect, and the wildlife was plentiful. Saw plenty of deer, a black bear, and a pair of mountain goats. There was one section of the trail under snow, but it was fairly easy to navigate even without trekking polls.

Friday, January 08, 2016

We did this one from the Hurricane Ridge visitor's center right after we did Hurricane Hill. Saw mountain goats and Olympic Marmots. Gorgeous views.

Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Beautiful. The lake Angeles-khlahhane-heather park loop rocks!