Killen Creek Trail

Killen Creek Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Stevenson, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

FROM THE SOUTH Reasonable access to all trails in the vicinity of Mt. Adams from the south will be, rather going east or west on WA 14 or crossing the Columbia River near Hood River, OR going north on WA 141. Signs will point toward Trout Lake where there is the Mt. Adams Ranger Station on the left as you pass thru town if you need better instructions to access area trails. Just as you enter Trout Lake turn right at the gas station then a mile or so turn left on Forest Road 23 at the cattle guard. At the point where Road 90 branches from Forest Road 23 take a hard right remain on Road 23. It becomes gravel. Continue on and the next pavement you will see, straight ahead, will signed to Takhlakh Lake. Follow that route which takes you onto road 2329 at a right turn. Continue straight pass the turn into Takhlakh Lake campground and in 5 rough miles Killen Creek Trailhead is on your right.

The directions given here my mapping software direct you thru the Yakima Nation Reservation which is closed to the public and also incorrectly indicate it is close to Stevenson WA,
Instead take WA 141 to Trout Lake where there is a ranger station for help. In lieu of that take forest service road 23 to road 2329 then proceed east to the trailhead 5 mi. It’s worth it. Beyond the PCT follow the sign to High Camp

Beautiful! Dusty trail this in August guy great view of Adams and surrounding meadows.

More difficult than I expected with the a traversing trail across a large rock pile with loose rocks and scree during the final stretch. A review on a blog stated it was an easy hike? Definitely not easy. It was about the same level of difficulty going from the other side of Mt Adams up to Lunch Counter. I am not in as good of shape though compared to when I did Lunch Counter, so maybe that's why.

This was very dusty with many mosquitos. We went up Sat 7/29/2017 at 3:00PM to Killen Creek Meadows, spent the night. and came back to the trailhead around Sunday 7/30/2017 2:30 PM. During this ~24 hour period, I'm now counting around 25 bites on my upper arms, back, upper legs, hands, and face.

I wore 98% deet (Jungle Juice from REI), but still got bit because the mosquitos bit through my clothing. You must spray this on your clothing and apply it all over your body to prevent mosquitoes. They don't bother you as much when you're moving, but if you stop to catch your breath, they're all over you. I prob sweated off Deet too.

That said, I'd do it again. The meadows reminded me of the Sound of Music. There was a beautiful glacier lake that we hiked up to from High Creek (or Killen Creek Meadows? Are they the same?). This required going over a snow field with an exceptionally steep pitch at the end, onto a significant mound of rocks, and over.

We also saw a shooting star last night. The glacier lake and the views made the mosquitos all worth it.

Went to killen creek 7/22-23. Plenty of mosquitoes. LOTS of wildflowers. Not many people

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Friday, January 08, 2016

One of my favorite backpacking trails up to alpine medows. The last time I did this trail, a couple years ago the trail was often covered in snow and becomes hard to find towards the top. Impeccable views at the top!

Friday, July 10, 2015

I would give it 5 stars, but we weren't able to get more than a mile and a half in before my dog picked a fight with a mommy deer. We thought we had lost our dog at one point, but it turned out that she just high-tailed it back to the trailhead, and the next hikers to come by let us know.

Crazy day. We'll be back to do the trail properly soon.

Monday, May 26, 2014

Really nice trail leading up to the PCT. Took this trail up after our Boy Scout Troop had already gone up earlier in the day. Got to the PCT with light fading and had to walk part of the PCT to the camp site in the dark, but what a view! This was a pretty strenuous trail for me as I have not been hiking for a very long time and am not in the shape I used to be!

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

This is one beautiful area! just keeps getting better... went backpacking here September 7th-11th 2013:) we did the "high camp" tail and the "PCT" section to the north. You wont be disappointed :)