Kelly Butte Trail #1031 is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Greenwater , Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,089 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trip is to an old U.S. Forest service lookout. In the summer season to early fall the lookout is staffed by USFS volunteers and access is available for the public to tour during staffed hours. When USFS volunteers or officials are not present the lookout tower is locked and closed to the public. During the winter moths the shutters are closed and locked. The Stunning 360 degree view of the with Mt. Rainier being the highlight but on a good day you can see Seattle, Bellevue, the Enchantments, Glacier peak as well as the Olympics and many other surrounding peaks.

Short hike but with enough elevation gain to still offer a nice little workout. Pretty views. Windy as you get up higher. (Bring a beanie; Ball caps were blowing off!)

Loooved this trail. As many have mentioned the road to the trailhead can be a bit dicey (one portion washed out) but i think most cars can make it up there. I also didn't realize there are some target shooting spots on the drive up so hearing gunshots with my windows rolled down scared the bejesus out of me when I wasn't expecting it. I wanted an "easy hike" to do and picked this because of the length and didn't think much of the elevation. Yes, it's a fairly short hike but you climb a good deal up the side of the mountain in no shade so on a warm day it can be a bit exhausting. (Bring lots of water, especially if you have a pup with you). The views from the top were incredible though and definitely worth the effort. From the lookout you really have a 360 view of everything and Rainer looks so beautiful up there.

Not a bad little hike. Didn’t make the top as it was getting dark and we had the little lady. I know we were oh so close but wanted to be safe. Will come back soon.

This was my favorite trail by far! gorgeous views and wild flowers, the terrain was so interesting and doable with a family. I made it in my maxima to the trailhead but def recommend an SUV or truck.

Road is washed out in the beginning, lots of random roads on the side of the main road to get to the trail head, (got lost leaving because didn’t have service and didn’t have GPS) so pay attention on where you turned to get to the main road. Trail is easy to find, no shade for most of the hike. Recorded it being 4 miles round trip ( started tracking at the parking lot) there is small patches of snow on the side of trail but definitely not an issue. Overall beautiful views going all the way up and better views at the fire lookout

Great trail!! Will say there’s not much shade one you reach the switchbacks. My Aussie struggles with the heat, I drenched her bandana in water and looted some water into her fur as well but it was still really hot for her. There were a few splotches of snow after the switchbacks that helped for sure! Just be mindful of the weather I guess I would say (all sunny for us which I feel terrible about now). View was amazing at the top, parking was not an issue at 12 on a Tuesday

The trail is obstacle free and short & sweet. Made it through the washout on NF-7030 in a Camry with no issues.

Road out was partially washed out in the beginning but the rest of the road leading to the trailhead is fine. A few deep potholes but just be careful driving over them. This is an amazing hike for the views! Short and fairly easy. We were the only ones at the fire lookout and only passed 5 other groups during the hike. This is on a Thursday, perfect weather, and midday. The later part of the trail has a bit of snow but nothing bad. We were fine with trekking poles and hiking boots. The trail is in great condition.

Had a great time taking my three kids and dog on this trail. Beware that the road leading to the trailhead is full of potholes and a section of the road is washed out, but we made it through in our Subaru Impreza without issues.

Great trail, I felt like I was in the lord of the rings movies. Fairly steep incline in the beginning with short switch backs then it’s a steady incline. Your above most of the clouds at the top and on a clear day would be perfect. A lot of people camp out at the bottom of the road and some people slept in there cars near the top. Amazing hike and want to do it again with more people!

First the road.. google maps took us to the wrong logging road. We back tracked. There’s a big patch of snow several miles from the trailhead that you need high clearance to make it over (more than a suburu). We made it fine in a pathfinder however coming back up it after the hike we got stuck and had to have others help us out (took over an hour to get unstuck). Bits of snow after that but is manageable. Trail is snow free till about 1/4 mile to the lookout. We did it without spikes or anything else. Lots of running water every where else though. Lookout top is mostly snow free. Great sunset hike!

awesome trail, one of my favorites and i will always come back to this one. be aware, it’s short but steep and rocky. wear good shoes and warm clothes. it has snow all until about summer and early-mid fall. late fall till spring will most likely the trail will have snow!

Easy and beautiful! Lightly trafficked but probably because the trailhead is tough to get to. It’s far out but no issue in my 4WD vehicle. Would definitely do again.

Did this hike today (9/1) with my mother (71) and my son (5) Took us longer than anticipated, mainly due to me (broken toe, under the weather...) We somehow missed the sign for the trail and ended up doing the scramble instead! LOL I don't know how, it's clearly marked. I don't recommend that with young children. My son was screaming most of the time to not let him die (he's quite dramatic at times) However, it ended up being our favorite part of the hike! The mountain wasn't out today. We were completely socked in. Didn't bother me much, I love fire lookouts. Happy to cross another off the list. When we arrived at the TH there was only one other car, when we left the parking lot was full. We only made a couple wrong turns on the way there. The road really isn't that bad. There was a Honda civic in the parking lot when we left. It says lightly trafficked...maybe it is on a weekday. On a weekend, get there early! Then again, it was a holiday weekend, so who knows...

Did this last week..Amazing hike with beautiful views of Rainier and Adams along with mountain terrains. Started early in the morning while still dark, reached the lookout in time for the sunrise. I suggest using the directions from “Washington trails” site, it was extremely accurate. If you plan on driving in the dark (the parking lot that leads to the trailhead is about 14.3 mi. In from the FR70) and could drive past without adequate light. Roughly 4 mi. In and out, starts off rocky with switchbacks then turns to meadows of beargrass and thin evergreens.

Trail was in good condition and not too steep with beautiful views at the top. Volunteers were repainting the lookout so it was open when we got there. There’s not a lot of shade so be prepared for that if it’s a hot day.

Did this hike yesterday. Beautiful mountain views. The hike has some steep and narrow parts. I would not recommend bringing kids. I brought my dog and she did pretty good. I saw other dogs were on the trail as well. The lookout was locked when we were there around 11. Don't follow the directions on Google Maps. I used the written directions on here and they worked perfect.

Beautiful hike and beautiful views once you reach the lookout tower. It was fairly easy. No hiking shoes required. I’m glad that I left my toddler at home. I read recommendations that it could be too steep for little ones.

Great hike that has awesome pay off with views. Steep, but not real long. A lot of short steep switchbacks to gain elevation. Awesome Bear grass displays with pines and the “ never get tired of” Rainer in the back ground. Forgot to even try the door. Had met ranger person that had just left and assumed it was locked. I did log closer to 4 miles 4.14 per my phone, from the parking spot.