Kaleetan Peak Trail is a 10.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Snoqualmie Pass, Washington that offers scenic views and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a tough hike, both physically and technically. The trail is very steep in sections and you will need to use your hands to climb, especially the final section to the summit. The views from the top are spectacular.

I started the hike at the trailhead at 8:45 AM and the first 4.2 miles of the trail was pretty maintained until I got to the Melakwa Lake. The second part of the trail, though, is not as maintained and having a GPS or previously downloaded map would help a lot. The hike is steep until you get to the first fake summit. After that, there is descent which seemed to be the toughest part of the trail. It was steep and there were some frost. I joined two other friends just before starting descending down from the first summit. The last part is still steep but was easier than we thought. We finally got to the Kaleetan Peak where we had to scramble on the rocks but they looked like stairs. The weather was sunny with a clear view. The top was windy though. The view is stunning. Mt Baker, Mt Stuart, Peak of Mt Adams and Mt Rainier were visible. Also, a series of more than 10 lakes are visible in the surroundings. My AllTrails recording said 11.9 mi round trip with 4948 ft elevation gain.

We made the summit today after about 4.5 hr hike from the trail head of Denny Creek. The way up to the lake Melakwa was smooth, then we followed the trail right-side of the "Toilet" sign all the way to the first fake peak and then going down for a few hundred feet and then up again to the summit. The last 200 ft or so were full of loose rocks. I climbed on the left side which was steeper than the right-side way up which was taken by my friend.

The view from the top was nice. The peak was surrounded by a number of lakes, lake Kaleetan, lake Chair peak, Snow lake, lake Melakwa, ... As I am also preparing a winter circumnav of Chair peak so this view from the top of Kaleetan is very informative to plan the winter ski tour.

The way down was tricky due to a lot of loose rocks. So be careful if you are solo, or if you do not bring helmet.

A lot of bugs on the trail!!!

Todd, I just did Kaleetan today and can give you some hints. If you want to to the west ridge route, cross the log over Lake Melakwa's discharge stream. There will be an old sign on a tree pointing to the left that says "toilet" follow that trail to the second sign. Go to the right of the tree and continue on the trail to the first little summit. After the second summit it drops down the western side a couple of hundred feet before continuing to Kaleetan. Along the way you will come to a saddle just before the scramble section. That is where the gully from the other route; going up the valley past Upper Lake Melakwa, joins the trail. I mistakenly returned that route and wouldn't do it again. At the bottom of the gully is a short cliff that needs to be carefully navigated and I was solo. The scree fields below the gully are steep, loose and no trail that I could find down to the lake. It took a lot more effort rock hopping than the ridge route would have taken.

Okkkkk . . Need help . . We did not summit. Went to Melakwa Lake. There is boot path on the west side of Melakwa and on the east side of Upper Melakwa and it continues up the valley to the right shoulder of Kaleetan Peak. Couple of questions . . Is there another boot path that approaches the peak from the west side? If so, was it by the “toilet” Sign just before you get to Melakwa Lake? Anddd . . Is there a boot path to the summit going up the valley past Upper Melakwa Lake? We got to 5,220 ft at the eastern base of Kaleetan and turned around. See pic. Wildflowers are out . .I don’t think this trail has a great deal of wildflowers. Crazy scenic hike . . Highly recommend it. Snowshoe Falls along with Melakwa and Upper Melakwa Lake. There are No directional signs at Melakwa Lake. Very easy to get “lost.”

Tuesday, September 12, 2017